Bookshelf speakers for music? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Which bookshelf speakers for music?
Chane A1.4 6 50.00%
SVS Prime Bookshelf 1 8.33%
Hsu HB-1 MK2 2 16.67%
Emotiva Airmotiv B1 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Bookshelf speakers for music?

I'm building a stereo system mainly for music, and for budget reasons I've decided to go with a setup using bookshelf speakers and two subs. I've chosen my receiver (Outlaw RR2160) and subs (Hsu VTF-2 MK5s), but I need help deciding on the bookshelf speakers. The system will actually mostly be used for movies and TV, but I'm much more picky about how my music sounds than I am about home theater stuff. So, with that information, which of the following bookshelf speakers might sound best when combined with the Hsu subs for music?

If it helps, I tend to listen to jazz, rock (think Steely Dan's newer stuff), folk, and other acoustic music. I sometimes listen to electronic music and dubstep, and occasionally classical. Any opinions (and alternatives to the four speakers listed) welcome!

Thanks!

Pioneer SX-680 receiver (soon to be replaced by Outlaw Audio RR2160 receiver or Yamaha R-N602 receiver)
Yamaha NS-A2835 speakers (soon to be replaced)
Vizio E55-C2 HDTV
Sony PlayStation 3
Google Chromecast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Budget?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTRON250LM View Post
Budget?
Ideally around $400-500 for the pair. Perhaps slightly higher if warranted. Thanks!

Chris

Pioneer SX-680 receiver (soon to be replaced by Outlaw Audio RR2160 receiver or Yamaha R-N602 receiver)
Vizio E55-C2 HDTV
Sony PlayStation 3
Google Chromecast

post #4 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgramer View Post
Ideally around $400-500 for the pair. Perhaps slightly higher if warranted. Thanks!

Chris
You are spending more on your subs than speakers which I find odd, especially when looking for the best for music.
EDIT: Yeah you are spending 1200 on subs, $800 on an AVR and $400-500 on speakers. That is odd. Double or triple the speaker budget and/or only buy a single subwoofer for now if you want my opinion.

If it were me I would spend $300 on AVR, $800 on a sub and the rest on speakers and I would likely want towers, but I haven't heard the differences between a normal Denon reciever and this outlaw.

There is a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2s in the classifieds that I really like for music. They are the best speakers I have heard to date (but I havent heard many above that price point except for B&W at BEstBuy).

Last edited by mikeTRON250LM; 10-05-2017 at 11:59 AM.
post #5 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You are spending more on your subs than speakers which I find odd, especially when looking for the best for music.

I'm planning on dual subs to smooth out the bass response in my room, so unless I go with dual $250 subs, yes, I will be spending more on my subs than on my speakers.

So the "odd" price disparity notwithstanding, which of the four bookshelf speaker models would, in your opinion, sound best with music, particularly the genres I mentioned?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vizio E55-C2 HDTV
Sony PlayStation 3
Google Chromecast
post #6 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
If you can be flexible on budget, These Canton's would sound pretty nice.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ss-pair/1.html
Focal also make some pretty good speakers.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...te-pair/1.html

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Kef Q200C, Bic F12 sub, Denon AVR-S710W, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm planning on dual subs to smooth out the bass response in my room, so unless I go with dual $250 subs, yes, I will be spending more on my subs than on my speakers.

So the "odd" price disparity notwithstanding, which of the four bookshelf speaker models would, in your opinion, sound best with music, particularly the genres I mentioned?

Thanks!

I edited the post above by the way.
Also, what four speakers are you talking about? Again I would rather get one sub now and double the speaker budget, especially for music. Then buy a second sub later, especially as you likely wont save much on shipping a second one together.

EDIT: I was on the phone I didnt even see that this was a poll. Tapatalk sucks.

I have heard the HSUs and they are great for the money. I have not heard any of the rest.

How loud do you like to listen to your music? I think the HSUs are the most sensitive and play VERY loud... much more loud than I like to listen.
post #8 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Also, what four speakers are you talking about?

EDIT: on the phone I didnt even see that this was a poll. Tapatalk sucks.

I have heard the HSUs and they are great for the money. I have not heard any of the rest.

How loud do you like to listen to your music? I think the HSUs are the most sensitive and play VERY loud... much more loud than I like to listen.

Hadn't seen the edited post when I replied.

The four speakers are in a poll attached to the thread (try Tapatalk in web view) and include the Chane A1.4, SVS Prime Bookshelf, Hsu HB-1 MK2, and Emotiva Airmotiv B1. I'm intrigued by ribbon tweeters.

Of those four, I've only heard the Hsu speakers in person. I liked them well enough.

Thanks!

Vizio E55-C2 HDTV
Sony PlayStation 3
Google Chromecast
post #9 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
EDIT: Yeah you are spending 1200 on subs, $800 on an AVR and $400-500 on speakers. That is odd. Double or triple the speaker budget and/or only buy a single subwoofer for now if you want my opinion.

If it were me I would spend $300 on AVR, $800 on a sub and the rest on speakers and I would likely want towers, but I haven't heard the differences between a normal Denon reciever and this outlaw.

There is a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2s in the classifieds that I really like for music. They are the best speakers I have heard to date (but I havent heard many above that price point except for B&W at BEstBuy).
Quote:

Thanks!

I agree, $800 is unnecessarily high for an AVR just for simple stereo listening, unless it has features that just can't be found on cheaper models. As for subwoofers, I wouldn't say the $1200 is unnecessarily high if you're using it mostly for movies (which you said you were), but 1200 is unnecessarily high if you only really CARE about the music (which you would simply want a solid flat 25hz+). If you're only really critical about the music, I would suggest passing on the subwoofers (if a return is convenient) and getting dual Emotiva Basx 12 which has a solid flat 25hz, and down to 22hz. 2 of those would be $800. That leaves you with a bit more money for speakers.

If you're just looking for something in your budget now, then get a pair of Chane A1.4's they will be nuetral and versatile for any genre of music you throw at it. Then later down the line you can get the A2.4 center channel and build a proper surround system.
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

Denon 1612 ; Klipsch RP-160m ; Klipsch RP-250c ; Wharfedale Valdus 300 ; Emotiva Basx s12
post #10 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Also, what four speakers are you talking about?

EDIT: on the phone I didnt even see that this was a poll. Tapatalk sucks.

The four speakers are in a poll attached to the thread (try Tapatalk in web view) and include the Chane A1.4, SVS Prime Bookshelf, Hsu HB-1 MK2, and Emotiva Airmotiv B1. I'm intrigued by ribbon tweeters.

Of those four, I've only heard the Hsu speakers in person. I liked them well enough.

OK just saw your edits to this post. I like to listen loud from time to time, but mostly at what I'd call "medium" volume. Way louder than background music, yet not concert level volume. Hope that helps!

Thanks!

Vizio E55-C2 HDTV
Sony PlayStation 3
Google Chromecast
post #11 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Also, I've heard bad things about the SVS primes for music listening. They're only really decent for HT use. I think it's between the other 3.

Denon 1612 ; Klipsch RP-160m ; Klipsch RP-250c ; Wharfedale Valdus 300 ; Emotiva Basx s12
post #12 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
If you can be flexible on budget, These Canton's would sound pretty nice.

Focal also make some pretty good speakers.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...te-pair/1.html

Thanks, I'll take a look!

Vizio E55-C2 HDTV
Sony PlayStation 3
Google Chromecast
post #13 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4306 Post(s)
Liked: 2763
Quote:

Thanks!

I think the Cantons that Doe Doe linked might be ideal with their 6" woofers and a sound similar to Q Acoutics Concept 20s, (which I loved), based on Zieglj's review of them.

Of the speakers you listed all I think are fine choices also though I'd leave out the SVS.

For a great musical pair of subs I'd look at a pair of Rhythmik sealed L12s for slightly under $1100/pair.

The BasX S12 was deemed a great Home Theater sub but not quite musical enough for music in Brent Butterworth's recent review.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gygess View Post
I agree, $800 is unnecessarily high for an AVR just for simple stereo listening, unless it has features that just can't be found on cheaper models.
Should point out that the RR2160 isn't an AVR; it's stereo-only. As such, it does have features not found in most other stereo gear, particularly in its price range, including analog bass management and HD Radio. Reviews are excellent.
Quote:
If you're only really critical about the music, I would suggest passing on the subwoofers (if a return is convenient) and getting dual Emotiva Basx 12 which has a solid flat 25hz, and down to 22hz. 2 of those would be $800. That leaves you with a bit more money for speakers.
That's a thought, though I think I'd rather stick with Hsu but perhaps get VTF-1s instead.
Quote:
If you're just looking for something in your budget now, then get a pair of Chane A1.4's they will be nuetral and versatile for any genre of music you throw at it. Then later down the line you can get the A2.4 center channel and build a proper surround system.
Thanks for the recommendation. Not looking to build a surround system, though. Hence the stereo receiver.

Chris

Vizio E55-C2 HDTV
Sony PlayStation 3
Google Chromecast

Last edited by cgramer; 10-05-2017 at 12:28 PM.
post #15 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3858 Post(s)
Liked: 2764
Quote:
which of the following bookshelf speakers might sound best when combined with the Hsu subs for music?

If it helps, I tend to listen to jazz, rock (think Steely Dan's newer stuff), folk, and other acoustic music. I sometimes listen to electronic music and dubstep, and occasionally classical. Any opinions (and alternatives to the four speakers listed) welcome!
Most definitely not the SVS Primes...when I home demoed them the only music they sounded good with was AC/DC. Anything that had midrange or upper midrange peaks was downright painful, like female vocals or jazz horns...you'd need to EQ the bejesus out of them to make them bearable.

I'd pick the Hsu due to it having a slight treble roll off. Google up Andrew Robinson's detailed review of them.

In the $300-400 range I'd also look at the Ascend 170SE if you're ok with its weird boxy looks (which grew on me after a while, lol). It's super accurate/neutral.

Personally I prefer a warm sound for music (I mostly do jazz and classical, and acoustic rock/folk), which is why I picked Wharfedale Diamonds for my L/R. To get the detail/dynamics for HT, I use a deliberately mismatched center or other speaker rather than the "matching" Wharfedale MTM center.
audiofreak38 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #16 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gygess View Post
I agree, $800 is unnecessarily high for an AVR just for simple stereo listening, unless it has features that just can't be found on cheaper models. As for subwoofers, I wouldn't say the $1200 is unnecessarily high if you're using it mostly for movies (which you said you were), but 1200 is unnecessarily high if you only really CARE about the music (which you would simply want a solid flat 25hz+). If you're only really critical about the music, I would suggest passing on the subwoofers (if a return is convenient) and getting dual Emotiva Basx 12 which has a solid flat 25hz, and down to 22hz. 2 of those would be $800. That leaves you with a bit more money for speakers.

I agree, I think to maximize bang for the buck OP is putting money in odd places. Dual subs is great, I HIGHLY recommend it. I also don't recommend spending less than $500 on subs (unless you DIY, which I also highly recommend since I have replaced my HSU with DIYs), but to spend $400-500 on speakers and $2k on the rest of your system is not maximizing your benefit. Another way of stating my opinion is I question whether your proposed system will outperform a system I could put together for $2500 with a simple $300 AVR, $1200 in speakers and &1000 in subs.

My system is actually composed of $250 Denon 2300 (Frys price mistake lol), $700 dual VBSS 18s (DIY), and (450 each, used) LCR Sierra 2s with ($30 used) Pioneer Andrew Jones Surrounds. I absolutely LOVE my Sierras. There is so much detail available that simply didnt exist with my old tower speakers.

Anyway, I would buy a single sub now, and look to upgrade later if it allows you to stretch your speaker budget a bit more. I would be immediately out on the SVS and emotiva as they are more HT focused (and I dont think they are the best bang for the buck at that either, even though they are solid speakers). Personally I like buying quality used gear from other audioholics as its the best of both worlds. Quality gear from reputable people at a discount. The only hard part is being patient for good deals, which I admit IS difficult.
post #17 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently picked up a pair of Definitive Technology SM-55 for $349 from Magnolia/Best Buy. I think the SM-45 and SM-65 are on clearance as well. I think that's tough to beat those speakers at that price..

Main system:
75" Sony XBR850D 4k HDR TV / ML Motion 40/30/15 speakers / ML Dynamo 700w / Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 / Class D Audio CDA-250
Bedroom: Definitive Technology SM-55 / Rotel A12 integrated amp
Office: Audioengine A5+ / REL T-Zero sub / Centrance DACMini
post #18 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I tend to agree with some of the other posts, this plan seems a bit inverse IMO.

Highest budget should go to speakers
and then to sub and amp

Surprised that the ELAC B6 is not on your list in this price range
mikeTRON250LM likes this.
post #19 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK just saw your edits to this post. I like to listen loud from time to time, but mostly at what I'd call "medium" volume. Way louder than background music, yet not concert level volume. Hope that helps!
Thanks!

Yeah Tapatalk is crap. I really dont like it but viewing AVS on a mobile web browser is worse. Anyway when we compared about 7 different speakers in that price range my buddy decided to go with the HSU as they played the best at absurd volumes with minimal distortion. I think we both agreed the KEFs sounded better, especially at reasonable volumes but all in the HSUs fit his needs better especially with his focus in home theater. We are both interested in hearing the HSUs CCB8s as they are claimed to be able to play even more loud with less distortion... o_O although I am not a huge fan of the yellow drivers.

Ribbon tweeters are amazing. The Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2s have them and I sware me and my family will randomly get caught up listening to Spotify late at night and just pass hours away before we realize it is 3am and we have to work the next day... I cant IMAGINE the towers and a dedicated listening room that has been acoustically treated or even better($$$) speakers.

If I were you, I would see if you can find people in your local area that can demo your speakers. I did that before I upgraded and quickly determined what I liked and didn't. I know that is not always an option, but I would still see if you can.

Also, once you decide what to buy, do yourself a favor and forget your login info here and stop reading.... I already have a list of 4-5 others I want to hear speaker wise and I already want to replace my subs.... AAANNNNND I want to build a pair of DIY towers for a strict 2.0 listening room.......... its never ending.
post #20 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you're ok with its retro styling, I'd consider the Wharfedale Denton open-box here for $400...MSRP was $1K:
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...eakers-pr-demo

According to Phil @audiofreak38 they are more refined/neutral than the Diamonds (he also owns the 220s). I think he might be selling them in the Classifieds section, haven't checked there for a while.
audiofreak38 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #21 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Should point out that the RR2160 isn't an AVR; it's stereo-only. As such, it does have features not found in most other stereo gear, particularly in its price range, including analog bass management and HD Radio. Reviews are excellent.

That's a thought, though I think I'd rather stick with Hsu but perhaps get VTF-1s instead.
Thanks for the recommendation. Not looking to build a surround system, though. Hence the stereo receiver.

Chris
I looked into it, and it seems neat (and looks awesome!) but I would have a hard time letting go of my cash to try it out.

Are you going to be listening to HD radio?
I was under the impression most people use Spotify premium or Tidal otherwise they collect an absurd amount of FLAC files on a server somewhere. Or they collect vinyls which I have tried to avoid looking in to, to mitigate my interest in diving in that hole.

Are you planning on ever listening to home theater on this system?
post #22 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you going to be listening to HD radio?
Not a whole lot, but it would be nice for NPR's Bluegrass/Folk station (on HD2 of WAMU, our NPR station here in the DC area), as well as for listening to classical. Most of my radio listening these days is news/talk, particularly Car Talk and other NPR shows.
Quote:
I was under the impression most people use Spotify premium or Tidal otherwise they collect an absurd amount of FLAC files on a server somewhere.
I do plan on doing a lot of music streaming to my system via a connected Chromecast Audio, using Google Play Music, to which I subscribe. Eagerly awaiting "Spotify Hi-Fi," which will apparently stream lossless, CD-quality audio for a slightly higher subscription fee. I do also have a fairly large collection of decidedly non-high-res music on my computer (MP3s, mostly 320kbps), which I may re-rip to FLAC.
Quote:
Are you planning on ever listening to home theater on this system?
We don't watch movies very often, though we do watch quite a bit of TV (Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Stranger Things). For me, stereo (+ sub(s)) is good enough. I have a friend with a 7.1.4 Atmos setup (7 Hsu HB-1 MK2s, Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sub, ELAC Atmos speakers) and it's neat, but I don't need the complications of all that wiring, mounts, etc.

You've all definitely given me some food for thought, and while I'm standing by my choice of the RR2160 receiver, I think I will reapportion my budget for subs vs. speakers a bit. I can get dual Hsu VTF-1 MK3 subs for ~$750, my receiver is $799, so I could spend around $1,000 for a pair of speakers. That might open things up to tower speakers. Thoughts? I had been looking at the Cambridge Audio Aeromax 6 towers at one point (they're on sale at Accessories4Less for $899/pair). I'm also intrigued by the as-yet unreleased Chane A5.4 towers, which are ~$860 for a pair.

So feel free to disregard my poll. Haha... The power of AVS Forum!

Chris

Vizio E55-C2 HDTV
Sony PlayStation 3
Google Chromecast
post #23 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You've all definitely given me some food for thought, and while I'm standing by my choice of the RR2160 receiver, I think I will reapportion my budget for subs vs. speakers a bit. I can get dual Hsu VTF-1 MK3 subs for ~$750, my receiver is $799, so I could spend around $1,000 for a pair of speakers. That might open things up to tower speakers. Thoughts? I had been looking at the Cambridge Audio Aeromax 6 towers at one point (they're on sale at Accessories4Less for $899/pair). I'm also intrigued by the as-yet unreleased Chane A5.4 towers, which are ~$860 for a pair.
I'd look at these 2 then:

https://emotiva.com/product/airmotiv-t1/

https://www.qacoustics.com/floorstan...aker-pair.html
cgramer likes this.

post #24 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
For what you are going to spend DENON AVR-X4300H .Hsu VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofer.And that would leave you bout 700 for speakers.You don't need two subs.I can think of a lot nice speakers you can get for around that.
post #25 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not a whole lot, but it would be nice for NPR's Bluegrass/Folk station (on HD2 of WAMU, our NPR station here in the DC area), as well as for listening to classical. Most of my radio listening these days is news/talk, particularly Car Talk and other NPR shows.

I do plan on doing a lot of music streaming to my system via a connected Chromecast Audio, using Google Play Music, to which I subscribe. Eagerly awaiting "Spotify Hi-Fi," which will apparently stream lossless, CD-quality audio for a slightly higher subscription fee. I do also have a fairly large collection of decidedly non-high-res music on my computer (MP3s, mostly 320kbps), which I may re-rip to FLAC.

We don't watch movies very often, though we do watch quite a bit of TV (Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Stranger Things). For me, stereo (+ sub(s)) is good enough. I have a friend with a 7.1.4 Atmos setup (7 Hsu HB-1 MK2s, Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sub, ELAC Atmos speakers) and it's neat, but I don't need the complications of all that wiring, mounts, etc.

So feel free to disregard my poll. Haha... The power of AVS Forum!

Chris
The chanes seem nice, but for now id prefer the s2s in the classifieds.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #26 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I've read a ton about the T1s, and they are on my short list of towers. Hadn't read about the Q Acoustics 3050s before, but I'm now officially intrigued. Thanks!

Chris
Zorba922 likes this.

Vizio E55-C2 HDTV
Sony PlayStation 3
Google Chromecast
post #27 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 4306 Post(s)
Liked: 2763
Quote:
I've read a ton about the T1s, and they are on my short list of towers. Hadn't read about the Q Acoustics 3050s before, but I'm now officially intrigued. Thanks!

Chris
These are $1000 with the current 10 percent discount.

I tested the bookshelf version against my LX16s and some older B&Ws and they were every bit as good.

https://www.qacoustics.com/floorstan...aker-pair.html

Good luck finding a so so pro review on them.

Geoff A. J., California
post #28 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If you're ok with its retro styling, I'd consider the Wharfedale Denton open-box here for $400...MSRP was $1K:
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...eakers-pr-demo

According to Phil @audiofreak38 they are more refined/neutral than the Diamonds (he also owns the 220s). I think he might be selling them in the Classifieds section, haven't checked there for a while.
I agree w/Zorba in that the OP would be well served by taking a closer look at the Dentons. Coupled to a Hsu sub, the combination is going to be tough to beat. However, if I were the OP I would also look at dual Hsu ULS 15 MK2 subs instead. B-stocks can be had for ONLY $762 shipped! If the OP were to go dual B-stocks, then I am sure Kevin @Hsu will give the OP a decent discount. Never hurts to ask. Mine was a B-stock and I never found anything wrong with it at all. Just saying............. Hey, a single may be enough. Best wishes to the OP!

Cheers,

Phil

PS Both the Dentons and/or the B&W CM 1 S1's have been sold! Only use my 220's now. Thanks!
Zorba922 likes this.
post #29 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1710 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
Canton Vento bookshelf -- sold each and a real good price

Canton GLS 9 towers -- sold each and a good price
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-each/1.html

Speakers -- Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
post #30 of 48 Old 10-05-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1710 Post(s)
Liked: 1626
Boston M350 towers -- use to list for $2500 a pair, now on a serious good close-out price
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

You can get them from Amazon Prime via HiDef Lifestyle -- HiDef is a good company

Speakers -- Canton GLS 2 > Boston VS240
Receiver -- Integra 50.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page