AVS Forum banner

need a little help with speaker selection, sort of...

652 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  tds73 
#1 ·
We are in the process of putting system back in remodeled family room. It is a speaker set up we have had for some time and have been pretty happy with (maybe it could be better, we just don't know enough).
My main question concerns the center channel and mainly front speakers. Since all equipment is behind a wall, behind tv, I need to get stands for fronts and center. Before I spend money on stands, I would like to make sure I get the right ones and that my speakers are ok for what we have (basically so I don't buy stands and realize our speakers are not very good and the stands will not fit a better alternative). Maybe I can spend a little money now and get a better speaker that is smaller and will outperform what I have, I would do that now and just buy stands once. Hope that makes sense.
I would really appreciate any and all feedback on my setup and ways to improve now without breaking the bank. I understand that it is better to usually stick more with one brand, this is just what we have ended up with over the years and in the future will probably improve on it.
Here is a quick rundown of what we have now. (for regular tv, movies and music listening)
Denon AVR-X3100W
fronts= Boston Acoustic CR9
Center=Definitive C1
Surround=Polk RC60i (ceiling)
Rears= infinity reference 2000.2
Mirage 12" 300w sub
Klipsch 10" ?w powered sub

See less See more
#2 ·
Make yourself some temporary "stands" out of stacks of books, a chair, anything, then just listen. If you want to upgrade, then go listen to lots of speakers over a few weekends and get a feel for what is available in your price-range and if they seem better than what you currently have. Take some CDs (or some FLAC rips, no mp3) of a wide variety of music that is well-known to you, and just sit and listen to the speakers. Take a few notes as it will all run together after a while.

Once you have it down to two or three, bring em home and test there. Keep the one you prefer and return the rest. If none give you a substantial increase in sound quality, then you can just invest in stands with a clear conscience.

#4 ·
Decent specs on your speakers and they will definitely sound better on stands, (Sanus Stands from Best Buy or Crutchfield are good value).

Where will you place the center channel; on a stand or is it already under the TV?

#7 ·
I have not placed anything yet, still waiting on carpet.
Would it be ok to mount the center channel to the wall or is it better to put it on a stand away from the wall?

#5 ·
You will have to spend some money to beat the CR9 -- however stands (even temporary likeness) will make a difference -- when there is space for a speaker to breathe and no reflections around it, the imaging and soundstage improves.

#9 ·
Proper speaker placement makes a huge difference so yes I would get the stands. But unless you have strong WAF pressure, I wouldn't spend more on stands than I had to...Sanus makes very decent MDF stands for $40-45 (check Amazon and Crutchfield).

If you want to get the most noticeable improvement for your money, I'd upgrade your center speaker first, then possibly the subwoofer. Don't worry about having a mismash of different brands, that's academic really...contrary to popular superstition, the only 2 speakers that absolutely need to be the same are the front L/R. :)

#10 ·
Doing a quick search for center channel speaker stands, it appears most are in the 13" tall range with a 6% tilt. Is this ok, or is it better to search for something closer to the height of the L/R front stands (thinking 31" for those)?

Also, what does WAF stand for? I think I have an idea, just not certain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.