AVS Forum banner

KEF Q300 vs. DT SM55 vs. HTD Level Three vs. ELAC B6 bookshelf speakers.

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dswierenga 
#1 ·
Looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for my PC set up on stands. Will be a 2.1 configuration, paired with the JBL 550p sealed subwoofer. Receiver is my old friend Onkyo TX-NR509- 80 W + 80 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC). Budget is capped at $400. These 4 I have put on this sort list intrigue me and partially because none of these I have ever auditioned. Have read good things on all of them from my research. Best I can tell KEF Q300 ($399/pair), Definitive Technology SM55 ($348/pair), HTD level 3 bookshelf ($319/pair) and Elac B6 ($279/pair). Could possibly be less on any of these, as I haven't done a detailed search on prices for each.

The DT Studio Monitor 55's perhaps intrigue me the most. The design with the top mounted bass radiator looks pretty slick. Their power handling capability ranging up to 225w makes me wonder if my modest receiver will do them justice, however. The HTD level 3's also intrigue me, mainly due to never owning a speaker that features a ribbon tweeter. I've listened to a couple of Martin Logan speakers that had ribbon tweeters and liked the sound, but they were quite a bit more expensive.

Anyway, any input would be great and if there is a pair of $400 bookshelf speakers that put these four options to shame, feel free to give me the 411. :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had the q300 and the sm 65. I liked the q300 much better. Much more detailed highs and mids, seemed to handle power much better, the deftechs were more veiled, and they seemed to fall apart at high volume levels. Of those you list, I'd expect the kefs to sound best, the htd to look best, and the other 2 to fall far behind. If you want ribbon tweeters at that price point I'd probably check out the emotiva airmotiv b1. They aren't nearly as pretty as the level 3, but I'd expect the highs to best them a bit.....though the level 3 should have better lows.

#3 ·
I have an earlier version of these NHT C-1s and am always pleased at how fine they sound. They are coupled with a Velodyne sub and a Pioneer rcvr. and produce truly great music.
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/19026-c-1-bookshelf-speaker-b-stock?category_id=1964894-clearance
The only thing that has changed in the new version is the enclosure. The drivers are the same as the Absolute Zero version that I have. Here is a review of the Absolute Zero.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/nht-absolute-zero-speaker-system
Highly recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.