Dynaudio Contour S3.4's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-06-2003, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting the opportunity to home demo a pair of Dynaudio S3.4's. Just wondering if anyone out there has them or is familiar with them. I'm looking forward to hearing them and will post my opinions thereafter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-06-2003, 07:23 PM

What will you be powering these with?
post #3 of 20 Old 09-06-2003, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 158
These are some of te finest loudspeakers to ever grace the planet. Proper break-in and placement are essential.

How big is your room? Pull them at least 4' off the back wall (they sound better in my room @ 6')

What are your up-stream components?

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #4 of 20 Old 09-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Have Dyns and they are awesome! What do you have upstream a they WILL point out any deficiencies you have with your equipment.

Bomber

It's never over, it's never finished....it's never cheap.

MY HT --> Show AVS Gallery Images
post #5 of 20 Old 09-07-2003, 10:13 AM

I own the 3.4's along with the new S Center. They are the best imaging Dynaudios I've owned (former Dyn spakers: Special 25, Contour 3.3, Contour 1.3SE, and numerous Audience models). Be warned though, they are a bear to break in, more so than any other Dynaudio model I've owned. It took well over a hundred hours of play to get out of the compressed sounding stage these new drivers exhibit out of the box. Once past that plataue though, these speakers opened up like a super nova. I'm now getting some really exciting holographic imaging, and some of the best bass response I've ever had with Dynaudio speakers. You are in for a real treat with these speakers :)
post #6 of 20 Old 09-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Auditioned them a couple of weeks ago with MF gear. Possibley the most nutral speakers in that price category I've ever heard. If you are looking for a speaker that has something that jumps out at you, then you won't find it. Reason being everything is soo perfect that there is no one thing to pick out. they are truly amazing, I only wish they had a tad more bass extension...i'll have to go for the 5.4s then right....:-)

I love this stuff!
post #7 of 20 Old 09-07-2003, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I only wish they had a tad more bass extension...i'll have to go for the 5.4s then right
The 5.4's are more Confidence line than they are Contour. They have a completely different presentation from the 3.4's, as their drivers are not the same. Imagine the Special 25 as a 3-way floor stander with bigger woofers. They are quite dramatic, and you best have a big room for them, or they will overwhelm you :) Not necessarily a bad thing :D but these big boys put out some dramatic bass that could get very ugly if you have any low frequency room peaks or nodes. If you've got the right room though, these speakers are quite something. My friend has a pair, and they are quite impressive in his room. I still prefer the sound of the 3.4's, and in my room, bass extension is very sufficent.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-14-2003, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

I'll be powering the Dyns with Lex MC-8 and Sherbourn 7/2100. My room is fairly large (33x20x10) and I'll probably have the 1.4's as surrounds. I have my SVS PB2+ sitting in the box waiting for the rest of the pieces.

CCA
post #9 of 20 Old 09-14-2003, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Make sure you have a lot of breathing room behind those 1.4's. You may also want to demo the Countor S R

post #10 of 20 Old 09-14-2003, 06:42 PM

I recently listened to the s5.4's and was also very impressed. To me they were comparable to the $12,000 Confidence C2 in midrange and treble and offered slightly more bass extension. Quite a package for the $8000 price tag!

I did not get to hear the SC center or SR surrounds however. Do they measure up to the 5.4's? In particular, the SR surrounds seem a little small and I wonder if they'd be enough for my 14' x 17' room. Any opinions?
post #11 of 20 Old 09-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a pair of the S3.4 on order....upgrading from the 1.3SE's.

Beav: I also want the S center, but was told the tilt adjustable stand/plinith was not yet available in the US. Given my setup, I really wanted that feature. were you able to get it ...like the description on the website?

So I guess I will use my T2.1 center in the meantime.

As for surrounds, I tend to skimp on the rears and am using the 42W from the Audience line. Very happily too given their relatively minimal task load.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-23-2003, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robster1958
IAs for surrounds, I tend to skimp on the rears and am using the 42W from the Audience line. Very happily too given their relatively minimal task load.
I don't really agree with the minimal task part... some of the newer SACD and DVD-A have quite a bit of information back there. What did you do with the 1.3se. Now they would make some amazing rears, don't you think. I have 3.3s as my fronts with the T2.1 and 1.8mkII as the rears with the 1.3se in a stereo only setup. I'll have to check out the S3.4s now.

Good Luck with the S3.4s,
Mitch
post #13 of 20 Old 09-24-2003, 01:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hey guys, any "complaints" about the tweeter being so low on the baffle ?
I have heard the S3.4 and S5.4, naturally vastly impressed by them, but noticed the high frequency drop-off when standing. I know we all mostly listen to sitting down, but any real-world concerns out there from you owners ?

FYI: My dealer's Evidence Temptations are sensational !

- Andy
post #14 of 20 Old 09-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
1.3SE's for rears....no. One reason is they are quite deep and would have to be close to my seating area...and wall-mounted (on a shelf i guess) because i have no space for rear stands. More importantly, I am getting a decent trade-in value for them.

Low tweeter: very good point, and of particular concern to me given my primary seating on a 6" riser. I actually demo'd the speakers standing up to approximate my room situation...and I did not feel the highend drop off you mention. Also my room tends to the bright side and may offset that. As for imaging, I did not experience a degradation. On the other hand, speakers are so room-specific....I hope I'm happy!!
post #15 of 20 Old 12-07-2003, 07:40 AM

Hello,

I own both the Dynaudio S3.4s and the Dynaudio Special25s.
I'd be glad to field any questions you have.
I also have a write-up available that compares the two models side by side.

M
post #16 of 20 Old 12-07-2003, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey M, Where was that review? The Gon or The Asylum

post #17 of 20 Old 12-07-2003, 09:55 AM

post #18 of 20 Old 12-07-2003, 05:24 PM

I'll chime in with a question. How hard are the 3.4s to drive?

I've been looking at the Dyn line. As Tom knows, I was going to go listen to the 52se, but with the holidays, I can't take the risk of letting myself audition anything this month. Let's say I know my limits, and once I start listening, they evaporate.

The added time may just let me move up to the contour line and the 3.4s look interesting. I'd also need rears and a center for HT. But my amp is the Rotel 1075 and at 120W into 8 ohms, 200 into 4, I'm not sure it's enough to drive the 3.4s.

All thoughts on my upcoming dilemma are appreciated.

Thanks, D
post #19 of 20 Old 12-08-2003, 04:25 AM
lei

I have the 1.3SE and love them. Strangely, when I dropped by a local dealer the other day to audition the 3.4S, it sounded flat. I guess it was due to their setup. What I'm trying to say is that the Dynaudios are very demanding in terms of amplifiers. You may want to bring over your amp and demo at dealer's place if they don't have the same model.

lei
post #20 of 20 Old 12-08-2003, 04:51 AM

the new Contour's are not as demanding as the older Contour models.
I use a Plinius9200 [175 into 8ohms, 300 into 4 ohms] and have plenty of power. The Plinius could be characterized as a 'high-current' design. Whenever possible try your amp [if you plan to keep the amp long-term] with the Dyn's in your house/room before final purchase. In summary the Dyn's benefit from better quality amplification, just as any other high resolution loudspeaker. I cannot say enough about the S3.4 it has a stunning voice and sings with the best of them.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page