Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1561 Old 01-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Subwoofer
Over the years I have heard that a couple dozen times from those viewing the pictures. Never from anyone viewing a movie! Seated on the couch looking straight ahead you don't have to tilt your head at all.

The bottom of the screen is only about 6 inches above your straight line of sight. It is just one of the draw backs of a multi use room. But the plus is you get the most gain from the high power screen in this setting . Johnathan

I'm the "Thread Cooler" ! When I post that usually kills interest in the thread.

See my Den to HT conversion thread !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1561 Old 01-04-2005, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Crunchyriff
Well, sucks can be quite subjective. And Bose has different systems contracted out by different auto mfg's.

I can tell you this- the BOSE sys in my wife's '01 Millenia S does NOT suck. As a pro musician, I can tell you that the sys is pretty flat, and when playing R&R sounds pretty accurate in it's presentation.

Is it as good as any 'aftermarket' auto sys I've owned? NO! Not even close.

But it's better than many of the other 'factory' systems by far....

Does it have lows that will shake the kidneys of traffic a half a mile away? No, but most of the drivers that DO have that kind of sys listen to (c)rap that I wouldn't call music, either...go figure...

Anybody expecting top-shelf 'state of the art compnents' in a stock, factory car stereo (in comparison to aftermarket gear) is out of their mind in the first place; but that doesn't mean the system will sound like crap.

I'm sure the Bose sound system on your wife's Millenia sounds decent. The stock Bose on some TLs and Maximas I've heard is not bad at all. But it's pretty crappy on my Acura RSX Type-S. I don't know what components are actual Bose. For example, the HU says "Bose" on it, yet others have said it's really made my Clarion. The HU (head unit) sucks. It has very little power and it does not even display the track time of a CD, which really ticks me off.

I know for sure the "woofer" in the hatch that the Bose audio engineers put in is Bose. And it's the "suckiest piece of suck to have ever sucked" (to quote someone, I think Homer Simpson). The bass is nonexistent. Thank goodness for my investment in the Infinity BassLink.

That's enough Bose bashing for me ... at least for today.

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
post #303 of 1561 Old 01-04-2005, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by johnathan
Beowulf
I really wanted a rocket speaker package for the last couple of years. But with the airline industry being what it is today . I couldn't justify spending the $2000 I wanted to.

I read the post here in the speaker forum about the Infinity's being on clearance at CompUSA and had to give them a try.All 7 speakers were less than $480 after tax. Glad I did. Now I will sell the Bose at a good price to some one just starting out.

Believe me all the Bose bashing in the world couldnt have got me out of them. But reading more about room dynamics hear on the forum really got me interested in changing to a direct reflecting speaker. Johanthan

P.S. the first 2 pictures in my gallery show the new infinity's.

I see. As I mentioned in my previous post (although for a different topic), I like Infinity. Good choice. I agree with subwoofer that your TV (and speakers) are WAY up there. Good luck w/ selling your Bose and keeping your job in the airline industry.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #304 of 1561 Old 06-08-2005, 11:34 AM

pmc is one of the best hi-fi audio co in the world i have a pair of there fb1 powered by a pioneer elite 56 txi biamp they are the best pair of speakers i have ever had. for more info go to thare web site this is gust a list of some of the pairs of speakers i have had energy exl 28p B&W 604 and 703 i have ben on a quest to find the perfect pair of speakers and by far the fb1 is the best by far for what i could afford price $3000 and they still blow away even the $6000 B&W 803 you have to hear the pmc's
post #305 of 1561 Old 06-10-2005, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, I noticed AVS Forum finally upgraded to VBulletin 3.x!! Anyway ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfordgt View Post

pmc is one of the best hi-fi audio co in the world i have a pair of there fb1 powered by a pioneer elite 56 txi biamp they are the best pair of speakers i have ever had. for more info go to thare web site this is gust a list of some of the pairs of speakers i have had energy exl 28p B&W 604 and 703 i have ben on a quest to find the perfect pair of speakers and by far the fb1 is the best by far for what i could afford price $3000 and they still blow away even the $6000 B&W 803 you have to hear the pmc's

That's a hell of a first post to dig this old thread up. So what does PMC have to do with Bose?

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #306 of 1561 Old 06-14-2005, 10:16 AM

i was giving the name of a co that dos not suck
post #307 of 1561 Old 06-14-2005, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Not this thread again
post #308 of 1561 Old 06-14-2005, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I completely understand why everyone bashes Bose. However, until recently they really did have a product that offered something that no other product did. There size! Pure and simple, size does matter! Some people have a lot of limitations on how big there speakers can be and where they can place them. Until recently Bose was the only brand that offered decent slimline center channel speakers and cube speakers in the retail stores. To some people this is very important. For example: the only place I could put my center channel was on the TV stand in front of my TV. This meant that I had to have a very short thin center channel. A couple of years ago when I bought my Bose center channel that was the only speaker that I could find at a retail store that would fit my space requirements. So it actually wasn't such a bad choice then. However, now more and more companies are selling higher quality speakers that are almost the same dimensions. I just went to Best Buy and replaced my Bose Center Channel which just didn't project any volume what so ever, for the Athena ws-60 which can be used as a slimline center channel. I couldn't be happier with this speaker. It sounds great and it is as crystal clear as you are going to get with such a small speaker. My only problem is that the new Athena speaker is so good that I can't hear my Bose mains. So I guess I have to replace those now. Originally I got the Bose speakers as a gift but now I have to replace them anyway.
post #309 of 1561 Old 06-14-2005, 12:42 PM
MRL
AVS Special Member

I have bose systems in both my GMC Denali and the wife's Acura MDX. There is a difference. I think the one in my big rig is better than the one in the Acura. I had one in a Mercedes E350 several years ago and was very dissapointed so for stock stuff in cars even though its bose it can and will be different. The best stock system I ever had was in a 1996 Dodge Caravan with an Infinity in it. I would take that in a heart beat over any of the Bose's that I have had since then... Too bad the kids are all grown up now...
post #310 of 1561 Old 06-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

I hope to someday have regulars at my home theater. Maybe even groupies. :-)

Only way I'll have groupies in my HT is if I have daughters (no kids yet. Five years of marriage, no kids, and about to have 2 HT rooms!)
post #311 of 1561 Old 06-14-2005, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Until recently Bose was the only brand that offered decent slimline center channel speakers and cube speakers in the retail stores.

Heck, the Energy Take 5 system came out 10 yrs ago! They were very little bigger than the Bose.
post #312 of 1561 Old 06-14-2005, 05:15 PM

m&k makes the k5 it is as small as the bose cubes and the sound is much better $250 pair
post #313 of 1561 Old 06-14-2005, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRL View Post

I have bose systems in both my GMC Denali and the wife's Acura MDX. There is a difference. I think the one in my big rig is better than the one in the Acura. I had one in a Mercedes E350 several years ago and was very dissapointed so for stock stuff in cars even though its bose it can and will be different. The best stock system I ever had was in a 1996 Dodge Caravan with an Infinity in it. I would take that in a heart beat over any of the Bose's that I have had since then... Too bad the kids are all grown up now...

I also have an Acura - RSX Type-S - and it came w/ a Bose sound system. The head unit looks good (I think it's by Clarion) but the "design" and speakers are Bose. And it sucks. The sound is underpowered (compared to many other cars' stock sound system) and there is very little bass - even w/ the "Bose Richbass Woofer" . Well, that's enough Bose bashing for me ... for now.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #314 of 1561 Old 06-14-2005, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

Heck, the Energy Take 5 system came out 10 yrs ago! They were very little bigger than the Bose.

Can you run down to your local Best Buy or circuit city and pick those speakers? People who buy Bose probably want to be able to just go down to the local retailer and pick up everything at once. That is why people buy Bose. They are always in your face when you walk into a Best Buy.
post #315 of 1561 Old 06-15-2005, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

...instead of just bashing Bose on forums like this, which is like preaching to the choir.

Go to Amazon.com, Epinions.com and Audioreview.com and post your own accounts, pseudo-accounts, etc. among all the shill pro-Bose reviews of Bose products.

Also on Amazon.com you can give "helpful" or "unhelpful" ratings to each published reviews---give the glowing 5-star reviews "unhelpful" ratings, and the 1-star reviews "helpful" ratings.

If every person who bashes Bose on threads like this on forums like this did it, we might arrive at some actual balance to all the shill glowing reviews that the Bose advertising department posts on such Internet sites which get eaten up by total noobs and other gullible folks.

FIGHT THE POW-AH!
post #316 of 1561 Old 06-15-2005, 09:42 AM

ya you can good guys has all the energy stuff they are 50% off too
post #317 of 1561 Old 06-15-2005, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:

Quote:

Can you run down to your local Best Buy or circuit city and pick those speakers?

Not from BB or CC but from a local regional retalier. I picked up my Energy Take 5 from my local Good Guys 5-6 years ago for $250. They also carry Bose and Polk satellite systems. I believe Polk has been producing sub/sat systems for 15 years. They just don't advertise all over the place like Bose. But both the Polk and Energy systems were better than any Bose sub/sats I heard for FAR less money.

Afro GT
post #318 of 1561 Old 06-15-2005, 11:00 AM

Every jar has a lid. I am a little put off by the uninformed opinions of people who have never heard Bose and yet mimic the opinions of others they have read on various forums. That is human nature, lots of sheep.

On the other hand, I had a Bose LS 12 system for 6 years. At that time in my life, I wanted a system for music and to play my movie sound tracks and it sounded pretty good to me when I went to the local AV emporium. I did not audition other systems and speakers; I just heard the canned Bose setup and took the bait. It was easy and painless and I was up and running in a day.

When I invested in a HD Monitor last year and started hearing friends HT setups that used components and really good quality speakers, my eyes were opened. There is a BIG difference between Bose LS systems and a good component system with quality speaks. The problem is, The Bose systems are pretty much plug and play. With the component approach, either it's a lot of time spent learning and auditioning (becomes a hobby) or it is plug and pay someone to set it up for you. I now call Bose "audio for dummies" and I think this is accurate. However, the choices are much better today than they were 6 years ago, and with HD displays, there is a need for HD sound. I think that Component Audio is to Bose what HD is to Standard Def.
post #319 of 1561 Old 06-15-2005, 12:44 PM

The thing is that there are plenty of HTIB's which have the same or better quality as Bose but at 1/4 th the price or less. Bose wouldn't piss me off so much if it wasn't for them selling $200 htib systems for $2000.
post #320 of 1561 Old 06-27-2005, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

i have a friend that sells these "lifestyle" systems. they run upward of 4000. he hinted that there is a 100% markup. no wonder they push them so hard................

My sono build

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #321 of 1561 Old 06-27-2005, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanne1 View Post

Every jar has a lid. I am a little put off by the uninformed opinions of people who have never heard Bose and yet mimic the opinions of others they have read on various forums. That is human nature, lots of sheep.

On the other hand, I had a Bose LS 12 system for 6 years. At that time in my life, I wanted a system for music and to play my movie sound tracks and it sounded pretty good to me when I went to the local AV emporium. I did not audition other systems and speakers; I just heard the canned Bose setup and took the bait. It was easy and painless and I was up and running in a day.

When I invested in a HD Monitor last year and started hearing friends HT setups that used components and really good quality speakers, my eyes were opened. There is a BIG difference between Bose LS systems and a good component system with quality speaks. The problem is, The Bose systems are pretty much plug and play. With the component approach, either it's a lot of time spent learning and auditioning (becomes a hobby) or it is plug and pay someone to set it up for you. I now call Bose "audio for dummies" and I think this is accurate. However, the choices are much better today than they were 6 years ago, and with HD displays, there is a need for HD sound. I think that Component Audio is to Bose what HD is to Standard Def.

Very nice assessment. I've been using component systems since I was 12 years old, so setting one up is no big deal to me, but I think when a new purchaser looks at the back of a modern receiver it can be very intimidating.

There are a whole host of people who "just want to listen to the music", so a plug and play system is appealing. They either don't have the time or interest to assemble a system bit by bit. As for, in my opinion, the over-inflated price of the equipment, I don't demonize Bose for figuring out how to market stuff and make a healthy profit.

Back when records were popular, I once paid $250 in 1977 dollars for a Shure V15 phono cartridge on the belief that I'd hear all sorts of wonderful things that a $49 Audio Technica wouldn't deliver. It was my money, so whatever. These days, there are people who will swear that exotic, expensive interconnects sound head and shoulders above plain zip cord from Home Depot.

Bose has a market niche and they milk it very well. But I think your point is well taken: when you had a chance to compare the difference between Bose and other, possibly less expensive yet more capable systems, you could hear the audible difference. Some people honestly can't.

When I would talk to co-workers about my latest audio and video purchases, and tell them I have crammed 2 SVS subwoofers, a 55" HD RPTV, plus 7 Klipsch speakers into a 1100 cu.ft. living room, most would laugh and shake their heads. Spending $9000 on a home theater was, in their opinion, close to insanity.

Personally, if someone asks my opinion BEFORE buying a Bose, I will freely give it and try to steer them in a different direction. If they are proudly showing me their new Lifestyle system, I just look for ways to praise their new toy.
post #322 of 1561 Old 06-27-2005, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvisneau View Post

i have a friend that sells these "lifestyle" systems. they run upward of 4000. he hinted that there is a 100% markup. no wonder they push them so hard................

It is statements like these that always piss me off the most. Hey buddy, if your friend is making a 100% MU on lifestyle systems, it isn't Bose ripping people off, it is your friend. Nobody makes a retail formula based on 100% MU. And before you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and have to give you a lesson in retail math, I am in the business of selling whole sale product to retailers and know all the ins and outs of the business. If you think Bose has made a specific retail agreement to sell a unit that cost wholesale $1,333 for $4000 retail, you are out of your mind.

OK, so why *again* do we need a bigger one?
post #323 of 1561 Old 06-27-2005, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edster922 View Post

...instead of just bashing Bose on forums like this, which is like preaching to the choir.

Go to Amazon.com, Epinions.com and Audioreview.com and post your own accounts, pseudo-accounts, etc. among all the shill pro-Bose reviews of Bose products.

Also on Amazon.com you can give "helpful" or "unhelpful" ratings to each published reviews---give the glowing 5-star reviews "unhelpful" ratings, and the 1-star reviews "helpful" ratings.

If every person who bashes Bose on threads like this on forums like this did it, we might arrive at some actual balance to all the shill glowing reviews that the Bose advertising department posts on such Internet sites which get eaten up by total noobs and other gullible folks.

FIGHT THE POW-AH!

I agree.
post #324 of 1561 Old 06-27-2005, 09:27 AM

This probably doesn't add value to this long ass thread that I don't feel like reading though, but here's my experience with BOSE products:

1) Back before I was relatively informed about A/V equipent, I bought the BOSE center channel speaker. I thought it sounded good at the time. Now I hate it and can't wait to change it.

2) I have a BOSE system in my car (Infinity G35) and I think it sound great up to 24 volume (max is 31). Above that and the mid/highs get louder while the bass stays put. If the bass could keep up with the rest above 24, I would be very hapy with it. I have heard high-end MB Quartz system that blow it away, but for my listening needs it is fine (and it's not like I had a chioce - I bought the car for reasons other than the stereo).

3) A friend/coworker bought the BOSE cube setup for the WAF factor, and he loves the way it sounds. But he is both informed and indifferent when it comes to audio.

Everyone has to remember - the people that post here and others that are 'into' A/V equipment make up a SMALL FRACTION of people that just need to hear music or HT. Since BOSE spends their R&D $$$ on marketing, they are constantly in the faces of all mid-fi buyers when they are out at BB and CC shopping around. If another company wants to take them on, they will have to spend $$$ on marketing, and their prices will rival BOSE when all is said and done, and a once great bang-for the buck stsyem would be not so much.

I do my best to inform friends BEFORE they buy to set them straight, but (like my coworker that got the BOSE cubes) I'm not about to tell someone they wasted their money as long as they are happy with what they have. Then I'll just come across like a pompous music snob (which I very well may be) =).
post #325 of 1561 Old 06-27-2005, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMayhem View Post

This probably doesn't add value to this long ass thread that I don't feel like reading though, but here's my experience with BOSE products:

1) Back before I was relatively informed about A/V equipent, I bought the BOSE center channel speaker. I thought it sounded good at the time. Now I hate it and can't wait to change it.

2) I have a BOSE system in my car (Infinity G35) and I think it sound great up to 24 volume (max is 31). Above that and the mid/highs get louder while the bass stays put. If the bass could keep up with the rest above 24, I would be very hapy with it. I have heard high-end MB Quartz system that blow it away, but for my listening needs it is fine (and it's not like I had a chioce - I bought the car for reasons other than the stereo).

Wow EMayhem I think I have had the exact same experience. I bought the Bose center channel about 2 years ago. I loved it because it was so small and it sounded ok. It wasn't that expensive either about $170. Then I heard the new Athena center channel and I realized why all of my friends hated the Bose center channel. I also own a G35 Sedan with the Bose speakers. It is ok but I know I could put together a much better system for about $600 instead of the $1000+ Infiniti charges for the Bose. I had to get the Bose to get power memory seats so I had no choice. It isn't that bad at normal listening levels so I can live with it. However, I have had one positive experience with Bose. My mother in Law just bought the IPod Bose speaker base combo thing. She absolutely loves it and I must say that it really did sound pretty good to me. It is easy to use and it really fills the whole house with music. What more could you ask for? I am not sure how much she paid for it but I think you would have to pry it out of her cold dead hands to get it away from her. Is that IPod speaker really that good? Is there anything else that is better than it in a similar package? Bose must be doing something right they pretty much rape everyone and they still walk out with a smile on their face.
post #326 of 1561 Old 06-27-2005, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow I checked and that Bose speaker was $300! That is pretty steep. Has anyone tried these other speakers for the Ipod. Do they fill the room like Bose does? What is it that makes Bose sound like it is a bigger system than it really is?

Bose Speaker at BB
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099387490094

All speaker system for the Ipod at BB.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....cat33100050026
post #327 of 1561 Old 06-27-2005, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow EMayhem I think I have had the exact same experience. I bought the Bose center channel about 2 years ago. I loved it because it was so small and it sounded ok. It wasn't that expensive either about $170. Then I heard the new Athena center channel and I realized why all of my friends hated the Bose center channel. I also own a G35 Sedan with the Bose speakers. It is ok but I know I could put together a much better system for about $600 instead of the $1000+ Infiniti charges for the Bose. I had to get the Bose to get power memory seats so I had no choice. It isn't that bad at normal listening levels so I can live with it. However, I have had one positive experience with Bose. My mother in Law just bought the IPod Bose speaker base combo thing. She absolutely loves it and I must say that it really did sound pretty good to me. It is easy to use and it really fills the whole house with music. What more could you ask for? I am not sure how much she paid for it but I think you would have to pry it out of her cold dead hands to get it away from her. Is that IPod speaker really that good? Is there anything else that is better than it in a similar package? Bose must be doing something right they pretty much rape everyone and they still walk out with a smile on their face.

I don't know how much it is, but you can get this

post #328 of 1561 Old 06-27-2005, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexa695 View Post

I don't know how much it is, but you can get this

That is way too big. The point of most of the Bose products are that they are small, look good, and are easy to setup. That is part of the reason that people pay stupid sums of money for their product. The people that buy the product don't want to learn how to set it up or to learn about how it works. They want someone to say this is the most expensive product on the market so it must be the best.
post #329 of 1561 Old 06-27-2005, 10:24 PM

Quote:

That is way too big. The point of most of the Bose products are that they are small, look good, and are easy to setup. That is part of the reason that people pay stupid sums of money for their product. The people that buy the product don't want to learn how to set it up or to learn about how it works. They want someone to say this is the most expensive product on the market so it must be the best.

it is not the most expensive look at pmc they have a pair of speakers that are $75.000
post #330 of 1561 Old 06-28-2005, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not advocating that you buy it, but I just happened to see the speakers yesterday and they are small. The sub looks like the Pro Media one which is also small. I agree that this is more difficult to set up than the Bose, but we are only talking about plugging the speakers into the dock.

Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page