Why Not Bose? - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Speakers > Why Not Bose?
Will0329's Avatar Will0329 08:42 PM 11-17-2005
Don't be fooled by Boses advertising strategy. They advertise in every Circuit City and Bost Buy ad. Bose also had their own stores in the malls. Consumer reports even gave them a low rating. People who think that Best Buy is a good place to shop for good AV equipment t are fooling themselves. When people drive 10-15 miles to shop at a Best Buy instead of going to their local high end audio shop are suckers. Best Buy sells junk for uneducated consumers. People should shop at specialty shops and buy Boston, B&W, Energy and Paradym. I avoid Best Buy at all costs. Best Buy is a waste of space.

dvdguru's Avatar dvdguru 07:41 AM 11-18-2005
Can I get an AMEN?!
edster922's Avatar edster922 08:44 AM 11-18-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0329 View Post

When people drive 10-15 miles to shop at a Best Buy instead of going to their local high end audio shop are suckers. People should shop at specialty shops and buy Boston, B&W, Energy and Paradym.

I agree with everything you wrote except for the part about "local high end audio shop." Depends on the ones in your area, some of them can be just as bad as BB or CC, just in a different way (trying to push $100/ft. cables, etc.).
tdavis21484's Avatar tdavis21484 12:03 PM 11-23-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0329 View Post

Don't be fooled by Boses advertising strategy. They advertise in every Circuit City and Bost Buy ad. Bose also had their own stores in the malls. Consumer reports even gave them a low rating. People who think that Best Buy is a good place to shop for good AV equipment t are fooling themselves. When people drive 10-15 miles to shop at a Best Buy instead of going to their local high end audio shop are suckers. Best Buy sells junk for uneducated consumers. People should shop at specialty shops and buy Boston, B&W, Energy and Paradym. I avoid Best Buy at all costs. Best Buy is a waste of space.

You're an idiot. Not everyone can afford those speakers, and not everyone could appreciate or desire them even if they could. If Best Buy was a waste of space, they'd close, because no one would shop there.

I can't stand snobs. You probably think nobody should buy a Chevy either, and should only drive Mercedes.
oldschool4life's Avatar oldschool4life 12:21 PM 11-23-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484 View Post

You're an idiot. Not everyone can afford those speakers, and not everyone could appreciate or desire them even if they could. If Best Buy was a waste of space, they'd close, because no one would shop there.

I can't stand snobs. You probably think nobody should buy a Chevy either, and should only drive Mercedes.

Paradigm, PSB, B&W, etc...

...ALL make entry level priced speakers.

Just because it's a BMW, Jaguar, etc...

...that doesn't mean that it costs $80k -$120k (or more).

They ALL make less expensive models...

...why spend $20k-$25k on a Mini Cooper when you can get a BMW for $30k-$35k?

Why spend $3k-4k on a Bose Lifestyle System when you piece together a nice system featuring a REAL A/V Receiver, a REAL DVD player, REAL speakers (5, 6, or 7), and a REAL subwoofer?
edster922's Avatar edster922 02:21 PM 11-23-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484 View Post

Actually if Bose speakers sold for maybe 1/4th of their retail prices, they wouldn't get half as much sh*t from audio folk as they do right now. But for the money you can get far better quality, EVEN if you have to choose from the pathetic selection of those big-box stores.
Boseman's Avatar Boseman 06:48 AM 11-24-2005

Why all the Bose Bashing?? Bose makes a fine product and the Acoutimas systems are an excellent choice for someone who enjoys decent clarity and likes to watch DVD's without shaking down the house. My Acoustimas 7 has served me well and I have listened to few systems even costing 1000's more be as good as the bose. One can get a Acoutimas 5, 7 or 10 on Ebay slightly used for 3-6 hundred dollars. You cant beat that.
Boseman's Avatar Boseman 06:51 AM 11-24-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boseman View Post

Why all the Bose Bashing?? Bose makes a fine product and the Acoutimas systems are an excellent choice for someone who enjoys decent clarity and likes to watch DVD's without shaking down the house. My Acoustimas 7 has served me well and I have listened to few systems even costing 1000's more be as good as the bose. One can get a Acoutimas 5, 7 or 10 on Ebay slightly used for 3-6 hundred dollars. You cant beat that.

Bose people are like Macintosh people We prefer simplicity, quality, and simply ignore those who bash Bose yet shop at Wally World for a $300 Happy meal and state " It sounds better than a Bose-
edster922's Avatar edster922 08:03 AM 11-24-2005
Quote:

Bose people are like Macintosh people We prefer simplicity, quality, and simply ignore those who bash Bose yet shop at Wally World for a $300 Happy meal and state " It sounds better than a Bose-

Well that's the thing...my cousin has the Acoustimass 7 system, and my sister has a $300 Sony cube system. And guess what, they both sound equally bad.

The difference is that my cousin could've bought a much better system for the same money that he paid.

Like I said, if Bose was sold for 1/3 or 1/4 of its retail prices it would just be cheap junk instead of overpriced junk.

And please, don't insult Macintosh! I am a PC user, but have used Macs before and they are actually of better quality though a little more expensive. Bose is lousy quality for a lot more money, that's what makes it such a SCAM.
beowulf7's Avatar beowulf7 09:30 PM 11-24-2005
Did I hear Boseman put the words "Bose" and "quality" in the same sentence?
oldschool4life's Avatar oldschool4life 09:46 PM 11-24-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

Did I hear Boseman put the words "Bose" and "quality" in the same sentence?

051473's Avatar 051473 11:36 AM 11-25-2005
I have Bose 501 for my front speakers. (No HT yet will be setting up in about 2 weeks) I have had them for about 8 years now and they have served me well. I got them while I was in Japan for $300 for the pair. I have gotten several positive comments over the years about the sound comming from those two speakers.They do have some help from an Infinity sub.

That being said I have not been impressed with the Bose "systems" I have heard. And they are everywhere.
Supdawg's Avatar Supdawg 12:41 PM 11-25-2005
Quote:

I have listened to few systems even costing 1000's more be as good as the bose. You cant beat that.

Have you fell and bumped your head?

Yes, you can.
With a name like Boseman, and your first couple of posts you are defending the common stance of educated A/V'ers you might get banished quickly.
DenisT's Avatar DenisT 12:51 PM 11-25-2005
Quote:
"I have Bose 501 for my front speakers. I got them while I was in Japan for $300. "

Doesn't count. The 501's are real speakers with tweeters and 6.5" woofers and you got them for $300

In Canada the Bose Life Style 48 system is Can $5,000. Acoustimass module + the tiny cubes and the combo DVD player and receiver. I went to the Bose web site to get specs like Xover point, watts, size of speakers etc. There is nothing -- like zero info.

For $3,700 an AV shop (they do not carry Bose) is offering a Cambridge Audio HT receiver and DVD player, 5 Mordaunt Short speakers (floor standing fronts), a sub, and an Infocus projector and Screen.

The next most expensive Bose Life Style System the, 38 is CAN $4000.
For $2700 that same AV shop offers a Harmon Kardon HT receiver and HK DVD player, 5.1 ch Paradigm HT speaker setup with sub-woofer, an Optoma projector and screen.

For $1,000 less you get better sound and they throw in a projector and screen.

End of story - To bash Bose, just compare what you get, and more importantly compare what you hear for the same or less money.
byrdog's Avatar byrdog 02:28 PM 11-25-2005
Just one more vote AGAINST purchasing bose. I have been through dozens of speakers and when I think back, the bose were the most disappointing, especially after all the advertisement hype. Just want new buyers to read these posts and make their own decision.
If they were decent I would say so, I still have and don't use a center ch vcs 10. I hooked up an old door speaker from my car that sounded better. People should really be warned about the bose quality problem. Maybe they have sunk all their money into advertising instead of r and d, and with so much advertising they must be decent, to new buyers.

Ever notice in the specs (crutchfield) bose does not list freq. response?
Espo77's Avatar Espo77 06:04 PM 11-25-2005
This just came to mind while reading some of the above. I like to go to Hot Rod shows when they come around.It is obvious that some of the people spend big bucks on their cars for whatever reasons, but i don't hear them standing around bashing others. Just an observation.
fernando saa's Avatar fernando saa 06:32 PM 11-25-2005
I just sold my center speaker (Bose VCS-10) and my rear surrounds (Bose 6.2's) to a co-worker for $150. I paid for them $199 for the center and about $250 for the 6.2's. I thought they were really good until I got my Def-Tech system. Then I was justified for selling the old speakers that cheap. My co-worker thinks Bose is one of the best if not the best brand of speakers. He thinks he made the deal of his life. I let him be. Did I do bad?
edster922's Avatar edster922 06:34 PM 11-25-2005
I'm no expert on hot rods, but my guess would be is that there's no maker of hot rods that relies on advertising hype and consumer stupidity to dominate the market by selling $50K cars that perform about as well as $10K cars, publishes no specs on their cars, and sues any magazines that publish negative reviews of their products, including even Consumer Reports.

LOL, if I were a hot rod enthusiast I wouldn't be able to find anyone to bash either.
edster922's Avatar edster922 06:36 PM 11-25-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando saa View Post

I just sold my center speaker (Bose VCS-10) and my rear surrounds (Bose 6.2's) to a co-worker for $150. I paid for them $199 for the center and about $250 for the 6.2's. I thought they were really good until I got my Def-Tech system. Then I was justified for selling the old speakers that cheap. My co-worker thinks Bose is one of the best if not the best brand of speakers. He thinks he made the deal of his life. I let him be. Did I do bad?

LOL not really, you gave him that stuff for $150 which is more than I would pay but you didn't screw him for say, $600.
Supdawg's Avatar Supdawg 06:46 PM 11-25-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by edster922 View Post

I'm no expert on hot rods, but my guess would be is that there's no maker of hot rods that relies on advertising hype and consumer stupidity to dominate the market by selling $50K cars that perform about as well as $10K cars, publishes no specs on their cars, and sues any magazines that publish negative reviews of their products, including even Consumer Reports.

LOL, if I were a hot rod enthusiast I wouldn't be able to find anyone to bash either.

One thing about Bose, is that it does hold it's resale value. You can thank their PR dept for that.

"Named product of the year in 1983" Sonic Marvel, blah, blah, blah!!
edster922's Avatar edster922 11:03 PM 11-25-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supdawg View Post

One thing about Bose, is that it does hold it's resale value. You can thank their PR dept for that.

"Named product of the year in 1983" Sonic Marvel, blah, blah, blah!!

True.

Ditto for Sony, which is also mediocre but at least not so overpriced.
beowulf7's Avatar beowulf7 11:51 PM 11-25-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by edster922 View Post

True.

Ditto for Sony, which is also mediocre but at least not so overpriced.

Sony's on my sh1tlist right now after the stunt they tried to pull w/ putting spyware and rootkit in their audio CDs.
tdavis21484's Avatar tdavis21484 12:31 AM 11-26-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool4life View Post

Paradigm, PSB, B&W, etc...

...ALL make entry level priced speakers.

Just because it's a BMW, Jaguar, etc...

...that doesn't mean that it costs $80k -$120k (or more).

They ALL make less expensive models...

...why spend $20k-$25k on a Mini Cooper when you can get a BMW for $30k-$35k?

Why spend $3k-4k on a Bose Lifestyle System when you piece together a nice system featuring a REAL A/V Receiver, a REAL DVD player, REAL speakers (5, 6, or 7), and a REAL subwoofer?

I was not at all trying to indicate that I support Bose, haha! I was mainly lashing out at that rediculous bash of Best Buy and other Big Box retailers. I reread my post in context and it did come across differently from how I meant it. I completely agree...Bose is a rediculous ripoff.

I personally own Paradigm Studio 20's, so yes, I agree with your recommendation!
tigerkn's Avatar tigerkn 02:26 AM 01-20-2006
if some1 got so sick of their Bose LS38 ($3000) and would like to sell it for $1700, is this worth to buy???? to use??? to hang up on the wall???? please help me to make up my mind. thx!
einsteinjb's Avatar einsteinjb 03:26 AM 01-20-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerkn View Post

if some1 got so sick of their Bose LS38 ($3000) and would like to sell it for $1700, is this worth to buy???? to use??? to hang up on the wall???? please help me to make up my mind. thx!

IMO, No, no, and no. If they GAVE it to you, sell it on eBay, take the money and buy something that actually SOUNDS good. You can buy a lot of great sound for $1700!! Spend some time on this forum and you'll find PLENTY of better uses for that money.
lastplace's Avatar lastplace 05:45 AM 01-20-2006
my signature says it all
edster922's Avatar edster922 08:24 AM 01-20-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb View Post

IMO, No, no, and no. If they GAVE it to you, sell it on eBay, take the money and buy something that actually SOUNDS good. You can buy a lot of great sound for $1700!! Spend some time on this forum and you'll find PLENTY of better uses for that money.

Ditto.
midfiman's Avatar midfiman 10:57 AM 01-20-2006
In a (more) intellectual response, if it was me, no I wouldn't spend the money on the LS at $1700. However, it might be your cup of tea. For example, not everyone needs a receiver that can take millions of inputs. Not everyone needs to have the best sound quality (though that is 100% subjective, so it doesn't even matter to be honest), and not everyone cares enough or understands enough to make all different connections, etc.

For some, the LS is perfect, including those who don't want to deal with alot of hassle, those who can't stand the sight of too many components or larger speakers, and those who want the name of Bose (while this may mean nothing to people here, it means alot to people who aren't audiophiles or semi-audiophiles or audio enthusiasts).

If you fit any of the above, then maybe the LS is a good choice for you.

I've heard TONS of surround sound systems. Can you get better than the LS for the money? Yes. Is that what everyone should do? No. Does the lifestyle system sound absolutely horrible? No.

People here just harp on Bose because it's "the cool thing to do". I agree with alot of points that people make here, but not to the ridiculous degree that alot of members do.

Bose came out with a product, they marketed it the right way, it gives people surround sound, etc and keeps them happy.

If nothing else, the LS owners out there who don't know any better are happier than poor saps like us who are always trying to improve the weak link of our systems.
einsteinjb's Avatar einsteinjb 04:03 PM 01-20-2006
I'm SO sick of this discussion. (Yeah, I know, quit reading it, hehe.) The problem is, I hate seeing people get ripped off.

There are two types of people who defend Bose as a company:

1. Bose employees.
2. People whose egos are too huge to admit they made a huge mistake and got screwed after they find out what a horrible deal they got when they bought their Bose systems.

The Bose system might be perfect for you... If you're deaf and have a gun to your head forcing you to spend $1700 RIGHT NOW.

People do not bash Bose because it's the "thing to do." People bash Bose because they charge 5-10 times what their stuff is worth, and they use deceptive marketing practices. They're ROBBING people, and that's why they're somewhat unpopular. Pretty simple.
bhanja_trinanjan's Avatar bhanja_trinanjan 05:06 PM 01-20-2006
I am no Bose fan and don't own a single Bose product. But the fact is that their new Wave Music System and their Companion 3 multimedia system have won some good reviews. I have not auditioned either.

Review of Companion 3:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1633743,00.asp

Review of Wave Music System:
http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/PC-Sp...System-Review/

Both these reviewers have praised Bose. Are their observations wrong? Obviously, any system has pros and cons. Same with Bose or with any other manufacturer. I reiterate- I am NOT a Bose fan. Neither am I a Bose basher. I just seek your opinion regarding those systems and those reviews.
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop