99Likes

post #91 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Danho
I've got a new Mustang GT and it has the Mach 460 in it. I think it is made by Alpine. It sounds pretty good for a stocker. Actually it is the best sounding stock stereo I've ever heard, and that includes my boss's exotic cars (M-B, Jag, etc.). The only downfall the Mach has is that the upper frequencies are kind of weak. I want to replace the fronts with a better separate set; I'm considering Focals as I really like their sound. I might add a small sub and that is about it. I don't want to dump too much into the car as I am saving for new home speakers!

Thsi system does sound nice. It is not made by Alpine, but by an OEM manufacturer for Ford. You cannot, however, just change the speakers, as the amplifiers in this system are not compatible with normal 4 Ohm car stereo speakers. I think the car uses 2 Ohm speakers, which means that to replace the speakers, you need to replace the amps, which means you need to replace the head unit. This is an all or nothing system, unfortunately, so enjoy it the way it is!
fastmoneycash71 likes this.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you
think it means. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 09:27 AM

Liked: 11
I've personally never understood the whole "ease of set up" . How is a bose accustomess any easier to set up than any other system? There's a wire for each speaker to be plugged into the "bass" unit and then a cable for each channel from the "bass" unit to your reciever. Not to mention the wires are a predetermined length. If you cut them and need more length it probably costs $1200 for a new set from bose.
post #93 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 09:33 AM

Why does Bose sound bad? Because each speaker uses a single 2.5" driver. Simple physics dictates that such a driver can neither replicate high frequencies nor lower mid frequencies well. It can only do upper mid frequencies correctly.

Just about every other speaker on the planet uses multiple drivers. A very small tweeter for reproducing high frequencies and a larger (3-6") driver for midrange to bass. Can't anyone else figure out how to do it like Bose? No, because Bose can't either. It cannot be done at this price point. So Bose has to compensate with equalizers, stressing the inferior drivers even more, and further degrading the sound.

This why a cheaper alternative with a dual driver system and a proper crossover can defeat the Bose with ease. A point source might be theoretically ideal, but in the real world it just cannot reproduce the full range of frerquencies required, and Bose does not.

Further, mid range must be moved to the "sub" module, which cannot then concentrate on lower base as it should.

think it means. "
post #94 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 11:02 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by capecodguy
... Dallas. ... 'gentleman's club' called Baby Doll's. ...

Ummm. Baby Dolls!

Fine pneumatic babes. Nasty sound.

My favorite club in Texas is The Lady, near downtown Austin. Nice babes (and most actually have brains). Killer sound and killer mix. Ever hear a serious acid/techno mix in a dance club? Amazing. Leads the ladies to actually dance. Not just pose.

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #95 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ScotWithOne_t
I have to share my Bose story.

"yeah...its pretty good...my friend has on of these systems and it sounds cool" I responded. Then the salesman did something that probbably would have made Bose's marketing team sh** a brick if they saw it. He said "watch this", and took the Bose brochure that was next to the display, and used it to cover the port hole on the bass unit. Suddenly all the sound disappeared, and all we heard was nasty tinny garbage sound.

-Scot

When I was younger my Dad and I went into a Bose Outlet at an outlet mall in Georgia and the official Bose sales dude did the same exact thing (covered the bass module port). So apparently it is a Bose approved demonstration technique. The difference is somewhat impressive until you realize what it means about how they produce their sounds.

Todd

A creative .sig was unavailable at the time this was written. Instead you have just read absolutely nothing.
post #96 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 12:09 PM

Bose disgust me, anytime I see a Bose logo, I vomit!

I've been lucky to be blessed with a dad whos a musician, and I myself one to. And parents that don't fall for BS, my dad would have never plopped down the money for anything with the Bose name on it, but all my parents friends sure did.

The worst part about having friends that own Bose speakers, is that IMO I can't even tell them how much they screwed up, I find it extremely hard because who the hell am I, but I want to tell them none the less. But I just sit there and nod when they show me how awsome there sound is.

Now Bose has gotten into the MM PC speaker market with there Bose MediaMate, they are the most god awful sounding speakers in the world. For 40 bucks you can buy PC speakers that absolutly kill these POS.
Then you have the Bose Tri-Port headphones, that sound like crap, for the same price you can order a set Sennheiser HD580 headphones that absolutly sound a million times better than those.

There is also a ritzy yuppie mall down here in Tampa by the airport called the International Mall, theres a Bose store in there, I swear to god I want to in there and just tell the salespeople how much of a ripoff your speakers are, but I've only been to the mall 2 times, and I don't want to go back. Theres also a Mac store in there, I think the only one in Florida, if that tells you anything, consumers who buy Macs, well there the same consumers that buy Bose. Macs have there purpose, and that the pro AV digital eiditng arena. They are however a waste of money if you are just an average joe consumer.

Edit: They have now 6 Apple Stores here in Florida.
post #97 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 01:35 PM

Liked: 12
This thread is tempting to to go to the Blows store in the Mall of America here in Minneapolis, and ask one of the salesmen what the frequency response is on the cube speakers.

-Scot
post #98 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 01:38 PM

good luck finding any published specifications

think it means. "
post #99 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
Ummm. Baby Dolls!

Fine pneumatic babes. Nasty sound.

My favorite club in Texas is The Lady, near downtown Austin. Nice babes (and most actually have brains). Killer sound and killer mix. Ever hear a serious acid/techno mix in a dance club? Amazing. Leads the ladies to actually dance. Not just pose.

LOL

I lived behind The Lady from '89-92. Man did I hear some nasty cat fights between 3-5am and had to pick up beer and liquor bottles out of the backyard daily. The worst was the "recyclers" in their dumpster starting at 6am throwing bottles one by one into their pickup. My girlfriend(now wife) really laid into them one morning when she had a terrific hangover. She must have really scared them because they didn't come back for over a month.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #100 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by jehrico76
I used to sell audio equipment, I worked for two different stores while I was in college. The first sold Bose. That's partially why I quit and went to work at a better place that didn't sell Bose.

Sorry if I insulted anyone, but that's my honest opinion. If you buy Bose, it's because you fall into one of those two categories.

Thanks for sharing w/ us - very entertaining! If you're native Korean, I have to compliment on your written English. And even if you're an American that's just living in Korea for whatever reason, your English is good.

Anyway, my biggest victory against Blose was to convince my father to spend his money elsewhere. We got Athena satellite + sub speakers, which sound great - much better than Blose. And we got a highly touted receiver (at least in this forum) that just happened to be defective - but it'll be replaced soon enough. (I'm referring to the Panasonic SA-XR45S.)

I even "upgraded" my Bose sound in my Acura by buying a separate subwoofer to throw in the hatch. Bass sounds at least 10 times better w/ that Infinity BassLink.

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
post #101 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ScotWithOne_t
This thread is tempting to to go to the Blows store in the Mall of America here in Minneapolis, and ask one of the salesmen what the frequency response is on the cube speakers.

-Scot

The problem with that particular spec is that it's easy to manipulate. Ever see some speakers that claim to go down to a certain freq, but then it says something like +-3dB, while other brands will state +1 -3 dB or +-1dB or whatever? I wouldn't doubt that Bose might actually be able to prove that they can go 40Hz to 20kHz, but it wouldn't be a particularly honest (i.e. flat) rating, it probably wouldn't even be close.

- Jehr
post #102 of 1561 Old 02-13-2004, 09:45 PM

One more post on this thread...

I saw one of the saddest things the other day...I walked into this bar, and behind the bar, they had this stack of McIntosh power amps powering all of the speakers in the bar. Now, I'm fairly impressed, it's not everyday you see something of that caliber in a bar of all places. Then, I looked up on the walls, and saw a ton of Bose speakers. What a waste. I tried to buy the amps from the bar, told them I would replace them with something where they wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but they wouldn't bite. Those amps deserve a better home.

- Jehr
post #103 of 1561 Old 02-14-2004, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What a bunch of dorks.

My first pair of Magnepans had nothing close to 20-20K response. Big deal, they sounded great and I enjoyed them greatly.

Audio has sucked in general since it has become a playground for status seeking wankers to show off their "equipmentism."

nuke
post #104 of 1561 Old 02-14-2004, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by capecodguy
My most recent Bose observation.......

I just got back from a business trip to Dallas. One night, my associates and I went to a new 'gentleman's club' called Baby Doll's. Anyone who has been to such places in Dallas knows the high end club competition is fierce.
One of the 'dancers' extolling on the virtues of the new club exclaimed...."look at our sound system...it cost over a half million dollars!"

I look up and all I see is Bose after Bose after Bose. I mean dozens of 901s, inwall units, sonic tubes that must have been 20 feet long and all kinds of other specialty speakers I've never seen before.

Bottom line, a half million dollars and the sound still sucked. Even the bass was terrible. Go figure.

Damn it!!!! WHYYYYYYYY????? Now I gotta find another titty bar to go to
post #105 of 1561 Old 02-14-2004, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jehrico76
One more post on this thread...

I saw one of the saddest things the other day...I walked into this bar, and behind the bar, they had this stack of McIntosh power amps powering all of the speakers in the bar. Now, I'm fairly impressed, it's not everyday you see something of that caliber in a bar of all places. Then, I looked up on the walls, and saw a ton of Bose speakers. What a waste. I tried to buy the amps from the bar, told them I would replace them with something where they wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but they wouldn't bite. Those amps deserve a better home.

Hey jehrico76,

Just load up on the Soju and you won't care about the Bose anymore.

I'm betting the PX at Camp Hovey is a little lacking in the audio department. But they probably hock some Bose, huh? Soldiers love the Bose.

Todd

A creative .sig was unavailable at the time this was written. Instead you have just read absolutely nothing.
post #106 of 1561 Old 02-14-2004, 11:43 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Nhan
Damn it!!!! WHYYYYYYYY????? Now I gotta find another titty bar to go to

What? Like there's a shortage in Dallas?

post #107 of 1561 Old 02-14-2004, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Hah the last time I went to the UK, all the young people were drinking Bud :P

I was drinking Samuel Smiths of course, but ....

How funny!! The last time I was in Dublin, one of the most popular drinks at the Temple Bar was Miller Genuine Draft!!! I about puked!! Of course I was drinking Guiness, Murphy's, and Harp.

All highs, no lows, must be Blose!! Proof is in the demo/comparison!

J

If you have a customer that comes in and spends 2 hours with you and says, I think I am going to wait.... and you wanted to reply, "Sir, if Columbus waited he could have flown....." You might be an A/V salesman.
post #108 of 1561 Old 02-14-2004, 08:58 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

MGD really isn't bad.

But when you got Guiness you don't need anything else. Including dinner.

post #109 of 1561 Old 02-14-2004, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tsnigg
Hey jehrico76,

Just load up on the Soju and you won't care about the Bose anymore.

I'm betting the PX at Camp Hovey is a little lacking in the audio department. But they probably hock some Bose, huh? Soldiers love the Bose.

Todd

Ahh, I bet you've suffered through a few soju-induced hangovers yourself, from the sound of it. Then you know that a soju-hangover is the worst type of hangover known to man. No thanks, I stay away from that stuff.

Actually, the PX on Hovey is nothing more than a little shopette. No speakers at all. The main PX is down the street on Cp Casey. The PX selection of audio is absolutely pathetic. If you know how much I hate Bose, then you know how frustrating it is for me to say that Bose are the best speakers they carry here. They used to have JBL, Klipsch and a couple of other good brands. Now it's just Yamaha speakers, Sony, Kenwood, and Bose. Soldiers only buy Bose for two reasons: They're small, making them ideal for soldiers who move every couple of years and live in small rooms in the barracks, and they're the only brand that's there that is marketed as premium. The bose rep in the PX hates me. I make a point of telling any soldier I see considering buying them that Bose sucks, and that they should go down to the electronics market in Seoul and audition some alternatives. I've cost that guy a ton of sales (and saved a few joes from wasting their hard earned paychecks).

I also see that you're from Augusta...I was stationed at Gordon before I came here. I hope my house in Martinez that I'm renting out right now is still in one piece....

- Jehr
post #110 of 1561 Old 02-15-2004, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

If a club is not using Telex EV speakers, then they shouldn't even brag about the speakers they use.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #111 of 1561 Old 03-09-2004, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beowulf7
My car was marketed as having a "premium Bose sound system". Although I really like my car, I don't like the audio at all. The head unit is vastly underpowered (although Bose probably didn't make that, I'm not sure). But the speakers aren't great and the bass, even w/ the stock Bose "woofer" in the trunk, is weak and pathetic. The best thing I did w/ its sound system was to spend another $250 and get a powered 10" Infinity sub (BassLink).

To sum it up, it's no coincidence that "Bose" rhymes w/ "blows". Bose blows!

Ack, you got an RSX as well? Clarion makes the head unit.
post #112 of 1561 Old 03-09-2004, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coldfusion
Ack, you got an RSX as well? Clarion makes the head unit.

Yeah, how'd you know? I guess you have one, too. What year and trim?

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #113 of 1561 Old 03-10-2004, 08:13 AM

While I agree that Bose generally makes overpriced, mediocre-sounding stuff, I must say that as someone who flys 80k miles a year my Bose noise-cancelling headphones are a Godsend. I love 'em.

-Paul
post #114 of 1561 Old 03-10-2004, 01:29 PM

To top it off:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio uses Bose speakers exclusively. Needless to say, the sound is the Bose tone. I was not impressed durring my visit a few years ago.
post #115 of 1561 Old 03-10-2004, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi DJ_JonnyV,

Is there a big differnence between Bush and Bud and how it is brewed?

Thanks bob
post #116 of 1561 Old 03-10-2004, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
>The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, <<br /> We all know how bad the small HT speakers from BOSE are. I was recently at a play and the live audio was wuite good. when I looked the large comercial speakers were Bose. Does Bose have a differnet name in the comercial line?

Thanks Bob
post #117 of 1561 Old 03-12-2004, 04:48 PM

My friend is a full blown bose-ite. The bose article on intellexual.net didn't convince him. Should I stage an intervention?
post #118 of 1561 Old 03-12-2004, 10:55 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Nah. He's hopeless. Get a new friend.

post #119 of 1561 Old 03-13-2004, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DMF
Nah. He's hopeless. Get a new friend.

LOL!

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #120 of 1561 Old 03-13-2004, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by beowulf7
Yeah, how'd you know? I guess you have one, too. What year and trim?

It was easy to spot once you mentioned the "in trunk" subwoofer You either got an RSX-S or RSX with the "premium" sound package.

I've got an '03 Black RSX with leather. Wanted a RSX-S, but with all the stop-and-go traffic i'm in it'd suck having to shift every 5 seconds.

The worst thing about the car is the sound system...heck, the sound system in my old Hyundai was better and more powerful. A month after i got the car i ripped out the head unit and replaced it with the Clarion DXZ835MP. With all the interior lights being red, it'd stand out like a sore thumb if I had gotten an Alpine. But the Clarion has an adjustable color LED and sounds decent...now to replace those terrible speakers...
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page