Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 596 Old 02-12-2004, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok Gang,

I seriously want to consider the Phase Tech Velocity Series. I would be replacing Axioms. Who has the best prices online? Our room is 20x14x8. Which speakers would you recommend for 50% HT and 50% music? Thanks!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 596 Old 02-12-2004, 06:00 AM

I would like to add that we are in a townhome with a shared common wall in the living room. Not needing the most poerful speaker at this time.
post #93 of 596 Old 02-12-2004, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

I just heard the V-12's and I say hands down go V-12's if you have the clams regardless. A very smooth sounding well balanced speaker...and these weren't even broken in yet, alot of good stuff for the money. The sounded good with everything I threw at it, from AC\\DC to Miles Davis. My Ascend 340's are coming in today...I will be comparing the two.
post #94 of 596 Old 02-12-2004, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oontahey
I just heard the V-12's and I say hands down go V-12's if you have the clams regardless. A very smooth sounding well balanced speaker...and these weren't even broken in yet, alot of good stuff for the money. The sounded good with everything I threw at it, from AC\\DC to Miles Davis. My Ascend 340's are coming in today...I will be comparing the two.

Jeff,

Did Phase Tech. get a demo setup for you at your local dealer, or did they already have them?

Patrick

"Your Life Is Your Message"
post #95 of 596 Old 02-13-2004, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

They had everything but the V-12's and just got them in. I heard them pretty much as they were pulling them out of the box. If you are in Houston, Audio Concepts has the full Velocity line to hear.
post #96 of 596 Old 02-13-2004, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Oontahey,
Let us know how they compare sound wise to the Ascends. I don't really care for the plain looks of the Ascends but I'm curious how you feel the sound is.
post #97 of 596 Old 02-16-2004, 02:02 PM

Well, I did it. Order a V-12 grand theater minus the sub. Was able to get a 15% discount here in Chicago. Hope to have by the end of the week. Yehhaww!
post #98 of 596 Old 02-16-2004, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Great news Tom! Another member of the Phase Tech. family!

Congratulations! Please post your impressions after you get them setup!

Patrick

post #99 of 596 Old 02-17-2004, 09:28 AM

PurdueAlum,

Where did you get your Phase Tech speakers in Chicago? I live about 2 hours away in the middle of Illinois and would be interested in visiting another Phase Tech store.

Patrick,

Thanks for your answers in the thread I started. As it turns out, the closest store to me with Phase Tech and Paradigm only sells the PC series. The closest store to me with Paradigm Monitors and the Phase Tech velocity series in the same store is 6 and a half hours away in my hometown!

The local Phase Tech store is willing to let me take a pair of V-8s home for a night, so I think I will do that this weekend. I will also see if I can get the Monitor 3s for the night at the same time. When I go to pick up the V-8s, I will look into seeing if the V-8s and V-12s sound substantially different.

HB
post #100 of 596 Old 02-17-2004, 09:41 AM

Columbia Audio Video in Highland Park. Ask for Dave Strauss. Tell him Thomas Molnar sent you.
post #101 of 596 Old 02-17-2004, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom,
Nice. Welcome to the club. I will be joining in March.
Quote:

My brother has some MKs and they are truly great for HT, but I really don't like them for music.

Neither do I. Part of the reason maybe because I prefer music w/o the sub and they are designed to be played back with a subwoofer.

Keep in mind I do own an M&K sub now so I'm not anti-M&K.

I should be coupling this with a SVS PB2+ once I part with my M&k Mx90.
post #102 of 596 Old 02-18-2004, 07:30 AM

oontahey: Did you evr get the Ascends? I'm curious to hear your opinion and how they compare to the V-12's.

I listened to the KEF Q7s and the Klipsch R-35s. I must admit that for some reason I was hoping to like the KEFs, but I definately liked the Klipschs better. Much more open sound. Has anyone compared the Klipsch R-35 to the Phase Tech V-12?
post #103 of 596 Old 02-18-2004, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys, I will post a comparison, I am hoping to do a side by side this weekend. I will post back after that. I have the ascend 340's and granted, they are not as pretty as the cool silver on the Velocity's, but they still look great, especially on the matching stands. My girl actually prefers the ascend look and slimmer footprint. But I am only concerned with the sound speakers make, they can look like eggplants for all I care.

I will say this...they do sound different, but I don't think anyone would be making a mistake by going with either one. I will try to describe the differences as I hear them. I will also say that I will be comparing the 500$ Ascend 340's to the 1000$ V-12. The V-12 is the only speaker in the line that is in the class of the 340 IMO. I reserve the right to change my mind, and without the benefit of a side by side comparison, the price equivalent V-8 cannot hang with the 340 for music IMO.
post #104 of 596 Old 02-23-2004, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by purduealum91
Well, I did it. Order a V-12 grand theater minus the sub. Was able to get a 15% discount here in Chicago. Hope to have by the end of the week. Yehhaww!

Tom,

Have you had any time to enjoy the Velocitys? If so, please let us know your thoughts.
Quote:

Originally posted by oontahey
Hi guys, I will post a comparison, I am hoping to do a side by side this weekend. I will post back after that

Jeff,

Did you get a chance to compare the V-12s to the Ascends?

Best Regards,
Patrick

post #105 of 596 Old 02-23-2004, 09:31 AM

Hi

I finally reached a decision and bought a pair of V-8s.

Patrick, I compared the V-8s and the V-12s and they were very similar. I think that the reason they sounded harsh was the room. The store let me try the V-8s out over the weekend and at home they sounded fantastic. I am also going to get a V-6 for a center, but I am in a real quandry as far as the surrounds.

I would say I listen to SACD/DVD-Audio and movies about 50/50. The store where I got the V-8s doesn't have the V-surrounds in store, but they will order them. They do have a room with the discontinued PC-surrounds so we tried an informal test with the "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" Dolby Digital track. The left and right surround information was really quiet and diffuse, even in Bipole mode. Since the room is a dedicated home theater with the speakers permanently mounted in place, I'm not sure I can abstract that sound to my apartment. Still, I am pretty concerned about getting the V-surrounds sound unheard.

I asked the guy who did the demo for me if the surround volume was turned down in the amp, but he didn't know how the system was set-up. He told me to come back when the guy who hooked it up was arround, so I will do that in the next few days. Until then, I was hoping to get some opinions on whether V-surrounds in bipole mode will work for aggressive 5.1 music mixes, or if I should just get a pair of V-8s for the surrounds (the V-4s didn't sound too good to me).

Thanks,

HB
post #106 of 596 Old 02-23-2004, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Patrick, I did not get a chance this weekend to compare, I am hoping for Wednesday or Thursday.
post #107 of 596 Old 02-23-2004, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by harync
Hi

I finally reached a decision and bought a pair of V-8s.

Until then, I was hoping to get some opinions on whether V-surrounds in bipole mode will work for aggressive 5.1 music mixes, or if I should just get a pair of V-8s for the surrounds (the V-4s didn't sound too good to me).

Thanks,

HB

HB,

Glad to hear you like the V-8's!

If it were me, I'd go with the V-surrounds. I actually listen to more Multi-Channel music than movies, And the V-surrounds in Bipole mode is amazing. One continuous soundfield with the front soundstage. The PC series might have not been setup for good multi-channel listening. Many turn down the surround channels quite a bit for movie watching. Check in with them if you'd like, but I would still highly recommend the Velocity surrounds.

Jeff,

Thanks for the update!

Best Regards,
Patrick

post #108 of 596 Old 02-24-2004, 09:06 PM

Patrick,

I went back, and it turns out the amplifier was set to some weird THX mode, so after things were adjusted the PC-surrounds sounded a little more even. I went ahead and ordered the V-surrouds, but I told the salesman my concerns. He said that if the V-surrounds sounded really bad in my system, he would let me swap them for some V-8s, so it looks like I am all set. Unfortunately my V-6 and V-surrounds won't be in until next Monday, but I will let you know how they sound when I get them.

Thanks for all of the advice.

HB
post #109 of 596 Old 02-24-2004, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

HB,

Not a problem!

Sounds like you have your bases covered! I look forward to hearing what you think of the whole package.

Best Regards,
Patrick

post #110 of 596 Old 02-29-2004, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

purduealum91 (Tom) and oontahey (Jeff),

Do you guys have any thoughts on the Velocities you'd like to share?

Just a little curious!

Best Regards,
Patrick

post #111 of 596 Old 03-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Originally posted by purduealum91
Ok Gang,

I seriously want to consider the Phase Tech Velocity Series. I would be replacing Axioms. Who has the best prices online? Our room is 20x14x8. Which speakers would you recommend for 50% HT and 50% music? Thanks!

Tom

Tom,

I didn't see anyone address this. So I wanted to throw out a word of caution. I've not personally encountered this yet since I only sell locally. So I am uncertain of how Phase Tech would handle the situation.... buuuut.... as a dealer for Phase Tech, it very explicitly stipulates in my dealer agreement that Internet sales are strictly forbidden and are grounds for immediate termination of the dealership agreement. You can not sell speakers to anyone outside of your geographical area. No speakers are allowed to be shipped to customers and must be in person sales.

As such, I don't believe you will find any dealers to sell to you over the Internet. If you do, you might want to check with Phase Tech before making the purchase. They may void your warranty for purchasing in an unauthorized manner.

If you do not have a local dealer for Phase Tech, they may make exceptions and point you to the closest dealers of record and allow you to purchase over the phone. But I would at least check further on the situation before spending the money on the speakers.

Whatever way you go, at least find a way to hear the speakers. They're worth the effort. Great home theater speakers that sound pretty darn good on music as well. I think they are one of the best values in the industry by far considering their extremely modest price tag. Thus the reason I carry them!! They're not up to the sound quality of a Von Schweikert, nor do they have the gorgeous cabinetry of an Usher Dancer series, but they sound great on a variety of equipment, and cost significantly less than those brands!! If you're on a tight budget, you can't go wrong with them...

Shane
post #112 of 596 Old 03-02-2004, 08:02 AM

I've been looking for a set of 5 speakers for $1500-2000 and saw this thread. I also found out there is a dealer that carries PhaseTechs 2 miles from my house.

I went there yesterday and auditioned the V-12s and V-10s as well as the KEF Q7s for a little bit. Right now, I am leaning towards getting 2 V-12s, a V-6 and 2 V-8s for surrounds. The salesperson recommended getting the V-8s for surrounds because my living room is wide open w/ no real back wall. Any thoughts on this setup?

Out of the speakers I've heard so far (Klipsch, KEF, Definitive, Athena, Infinity) I liked these the best. I'm going to check out some Paradigms on Thursday and hopefully a few more brands as well.
post #113 of 596 Old 03-02-2004, 10:12 AM

Greetings!

I've had my V-12s for about a month now, and have been listening to a fairly even mix of 2-ch audio from CDs and 5.1 audio from DVDs, HDTV, and DVD-audio... (probably a little more 5.1 from HDTV than the others.)

My setup is a Denon 3803, the V-12 mains, an Infinity center-channel, a Hsu VTF-2 sub (in max extension mode), and some no-name, full-range, indoor/outdoor, 2-way mini speakers as surrounds. (yeah, yeah, I know)

For 2-channel music, the V-12s are very smooth: nice, even response from the low-end to highs, at all volume levels. I've heard my Denon receiver described as being on the 'bright' side, but with the V-12s this is balanced out nicely. The V-12's produce a really detailed audioscape -- I'm hearing new instruments and effects (especially in the lower-midrange) on my CDs that just weren't there before.

BTW, the Hsu sub blends very nicely with the V-12s in a 2.1 configuration.

The V-12s are apparently very efficient, since I had to pump up my center channel +3db and my surrounds +4db to get a reasonable balance in the 5.1 arrangement. (That probably says more about my crappy center & surrounds than the V-12s though...)

For 5.1 music and home theater viewing, I'm really happy with the excellent soundstage and imaging the V-12s are producing. My room layout/speaker placement is not optimal (everything is kinda skewed to the right, relative to the couch), and I was a little worried that I'd lose the audio image, but there turned out to be a good-sized sweet-spot with the V-12s -- enough to easily cover the whole couch.

The V-12s are fairly tall, with the bottom-brackets and carpet spikes installed, they're about 4' high. I think the footprint is roughly 8.5" X 11", plus an inch on each side for the bottom-brackets. Construction is excellent, and they can be bi-wired. This is going to sound goofy, but I really like the metal grill on the front ...because we have cats... They're just not interested in these speakers like they were with my old speakers that had cloth-covered fronts.

Overall, I'm really happy with the price/performance of these speakers. I think I'd have to spend a lot more money to get even marginally better performance. My next upgrade will probably be to get the V-Surrounds, eventually followed by a V-6 to replace the center channel.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who recommended these speakers, you got me on the right track!

cheers!

Dom Bucciarelli
post #114 of 596 Old 03-02-2004, 11:05 AM

Nick: Can you elaborate a little on how the Q7s compared with the V-12s?

Thanks,
Anthony
post #115 of 596 Old 03-02-2004, 11:08 AM

I'm not exactly an audiophile, but they sounded quite similar. The Q7s seemed to have a bit more bass. I'm actually might be going there today to do a more extensive audition with my own CDs. I will check out the Q7s more, but they are a little more than I want to spend. I could be convinced, however...
post #116 of 596 Old 03-02-2004, 11:27 AM

Nick: Here in Salt Lake the Q7s are the same price as the V-12s. I would have to special order the Phase Techs just to hear them so I'm curious how they compare to the Q7s, which I have heard.

Also, which Klipschs did you listen to and how did they compare? I liked the RF-35s better than the Q7s. The Klipschs seemed to have better separation in the mids and highs.
post #117 of 596 Old 03-02-2004, 11:35 AM

I can't remember the model numbers of the Klipsch speakers I heard, but they were ranged between $400-600 each. I liked them at first, but I found the sound overly bright and it got kind of tiring. I'm definitely going to check out the Q7s more today or tomorrow, though.
post #118 of 596 Old 03-03-2004, 06:13 AM

I listened to the V-12s for about an hour yesterday. Unfortunately, they had moved them to a different room so I didn't get a chance to compare to the Q7s. I really liked the V-12s and I think we'll be buying them. They had them hooked up to a high end pre-amp and amp and a Sony 999 DVD/SACD player. They sounded incredibly good. When I first heard the bass I thought they had a sub on quietly somewhere in the room, but it was just the V-12s.

I'm still going to stop by a couple more places tonight and tomorrow to check some other speakers out (at least some Paradigms), but the V-12s sound exactly how I like a speaker to sound, so I think they will be my choice.
post #119 of 596 Old 03-03-2004, 06:22 AM

Quote:

When I first heard the bass I thought they had a sub on quietly somewhere in the room, but it was just the V-12s.

That's one thing I always like about Phase Tech. They do a great job tuning the low end on all their models. Usually to very surprising results. I have been running a pair of PC 9.1's without a sub for more than a year and don't miss any low end. Very smooth, musical bass.
post #120 of 596 Old 03-03-2004, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like I will be ordering a full array of Phase Tech Velocity's soon in the following config:

V12 mains in Maple
V6 center in Maple
V-Surrounds in Black for rears
V-4's for Rear centers(x2) for 7.1

The subwoofer will be an SVS PB2+
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page