Phase Technology speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 600 Old 01-17-2004, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody have any opinions on these speakers or this company? They have apparantly been around for 45 years but there aren't many posts on the boards from owners. The bookshelf line is relatively inexpensive. I am putting them on my list of possibilities. When I get my receiver in I will give them another listen and will post my impressions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 600 Old 01-18-2004, 08:47 AM

Liked: 11
I have a Phase Technology Power 12 subwoofer in my HT setup and my father has an Octave 10 subwoofer and 2.5T (I think that's the model) F/R and their corresponding CC. I am extremely happy with my sub for the amount I paid. My father's speakers are about 5 years old or more and have since been discontinued, but are a pretty good setup for the money.

Of course the only way to know for sure is to listen to some yourself.
post #3 of 600 Old 01-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

I've been using PC60s for about 15yrs, they have evolved along with my
changing listening habits. Originally purchased as a 2.1(PC50 passive sub),
then increasing to 4.1, later adding a powered sub and then finally the
center. Found my receipt recently for the PC60/50 setup and paid $1200.

After all the years of abuse they still sound great, from the smoothest Jazz,
to the hardest of rock or the most demanding DTS movie.

Want to upgrade, but haven't found anything in my price range that
sounds that much better.
post #4 of 600 Old 01-18-2004, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I've had Phace Tech speakers and a 15" Octive 1 sub for about 5 years. Excellent speakers at a good price.

I have listened to other brands, usually considerably more expensive, and always come away satisfied with what my Phase Tech's provide.

I use them for a combination of HT and music.
post #5 of 600 Old 01-18-2004, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Well'I just finished purchasing new speakers and did my first serious auditioning so I'm a relative newbie at this.But I listened to a lot-Paridigm ref.Mirage Omni,polk Lsi.vienna acoustic,Psb,many others,I heard the Phase Tech premiers and was very impressed.At their price point they seemed a great deal,and PT invented the dome tweeter I think-great sounding highs to my ears.Probably were #1 on my short list until I heard ribbons and everything changed...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #6 of 600 Old 01-18-2004, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I had the Phase Tech. Teatro series package and I made a "lateral" upgrade to thier new Velocity line. All I can say is I have heard nothing better in thier price range. Granted I have not heard everything, but I've owned and heard plenty of brands. The ones I can think of off the top of my head: Various models of PSB, Pinnacle, Axiom, Infinity, Snell, B&W, Paradigm. None had the balance of the Phase Techs IMHO. Amazing Detail (without being bright), great "accurate" imaging, and huge soundstage.

Funny this post came up, I just got back from going to my local Hi-end audio store and sat down and listened to some of my favorite CD's on a pair of B&Ws 804's, I think.. not sure though ($2,600 speakers what ever they were), and a pair of $2000 Snell's. I came back home and listened to the same tracks on my Velocity V-12's ($1,000) and just got a huge grin on my face. The V12's were equal to both speakers in every way, and bested them in imaging and detail (both the B&W and Snells sounded too bright to me). Anyway, I know it was in a different room with different equipment, but both the rooms and equipment were better at the Hi-End shop (I would kill to have thier state of the art rooms).

Phase Tech. is HIGHLY underated. I don't really think they care though, as they don't advertise much and thier parent company (United Speakers) sells speakers parts to speaker manufacturers all over the world. I think the Phase tech. speaker line started as just a hobby for the owner and president some years ago.

To answer the original poster, I think there "might be" a good reason why Phase tech. owners don't post alot about thier speakers. They are to busy enjoying them I know my posts have went way down on this forum as well as others since I've owned Phase Tech. speakers. Fact is I'm spending more of my time listening to music these days, as I am COMPLETELY satisfied with them. I have never been able to say that about any other speakers I've owned. There was always some little nit-pick I had.

For the price of these speakers, I just don't think they can be beat. Especially when you consider that they make ALL thier own parts in the USA, down to winding thier own voice coils. AND they have a 10 year warranty on all speakers. Now that's pretty rare for speakers, especially in thier price range.

Can't say enough good things about them, I don't think I will be upgrading for many, many years. And whan I do it will probably be to another set of Phase Techs.

Mean while, I will continue to carry that huge grin when listening to them, especially after I compare them to speakers that cost over twice as much!

My .02 YMMV! When in doubt go listen for yourself, the proofs in the pudding!

Good Luck and Happy listening!
Patrick

"Your Life Is Your Message"
post #7 of 600 Old 01-18-2004, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I've seen many great reviews of phase tech speakers in home theater magazine.They seem to love them. I dont see how you could go wrong.
i remember jandr had them on clearance for a good price.
If you're on a real tight budget check out my under $200 bookshelves thread. You might want to consider those too.
www.hometheaterspeaker.com.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

post #8 of 600 Old 01-18-2004, 10:10 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you're on a real tight budget check out my under $200 bookshelves thread. You might want to consider those too.

I've checked out the speakers that you spoke of. Pretty impressive for the price - and they have real wood veneer, too.

However, if anyone is considering them - keep in mind they are 6 Ohm speakers - so be sure your amp/receiver can handle such loads.
post #9 of 600 Old 01-18-2004, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I've owned the Phase Tech 11.5 Teatro speaker system for about 3 years now and I'm very happy with them. These speakers are absolutely untouchable in their price range. I demoed Def Tech's, Paradigm, B&W, Polk, and Infinity. None offered what Phase Tech offered in the $1500 price range. These speakers are incredible. I can't recommend them enough.

As for customer service... A friend of mine purchased the same set as mine after hearing my set up. When it arrived, one of the towers had a damaged crossover. After a phone call to the company in Florida, he had a new replacement tower in 2 days. UPS picked up the damaged tower later that week.

Great speakers. Great company.

Herm
post #10 of 600 Old 01-19-2004, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wje

However, if anyone is considering them - keep in mind they are 6 Ohm speakers - so be sure your amp/receiver can handle such loads.

FWIW, Phase Tech. Teatros and Velocity series are 8 Ohm!

Patrick

post #11 of 600 Old 01-19-2004, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the great info. avaholic, the velocity series is the series I am considering...I was thinking of V-12 or V-10 for mains, which speakers do you use for surrounds?
post #12 of 600 Old 01-19-2004, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by oontahey
Thanks all for the great info. avaholic, the velocity series is the series I am considering...I was thinking of V-12 or V-10 for mains, which speakers do you use for surrounds?

I use the V-12's up front, the V-6 center, and the V-surrounds. I choose the V-surrounds because I really liked the bipolar design of the Teatro surrounds (my previous Phase techs). With the V-surrounds you can switch it to bipole or dipole via the switch on the back. In Bipole configuration (I've never used as dipoles), it sounds great. A seamless soundfield, perfectly timbre matched with the front 3 speakers. I listen to alot of Multi-Channel music and its amazing! With movies, sometimes I'd swear I had rear speakers in a 7.1 system, instead of a standard 5.1 system with the rears on the side wall, slightly above and behind me.

Highly Recommended! Go take a listen for yourself.

Good Luck!
Patrick

post #13 of 600 Old 01-19-2004, 12:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have pretty high end equipment in my living room, but when I wanted a more budget minded theater in the back for a showroom for my custom installation business, I chose Phase Tech and have been VERY happy with them. I listen to a $94,000 set of speakers every day and when I go back and listen to the Phase system, I am impressed with how nice it sounds. I have a Teatro system in my theater, which is very similar to their new Velocity line. I do run an HSU sub in that room, however, as I need a lot of bass to make me happy.

In short, I don't see how anybody could not be satisfied with Phase Tech and find anything else that would satisfy them without spending a lot more money.
post #14 of 600 Old 01-19-2004, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Poindexter
I listen to a $94,000 set of speakers every day and when I go back and listen to the Phase system, I am impressed with how nice it sounds. I have a Teatro system in my theater, which is very similar to their new Velocity line.

In short, I don't see how anybody could not be satisfied with Phase Tech and find anything else that would satisfy them without spending a lot more money.

That is exactly what I have experienced. On a much smaller scale of course, as I have not compared them against anything like a $94,000 set of speakers (not that there is probably that much of a comparison at that price). I've only compared them up to a $2,600 pair of speakers at this point.

But, I'd agree you'd have to spend alot more than the Phase Techs cost, to get equal or better sound. I'd like to see some comparisons to some of the popular Online brands like the Rockets, etc. IMHO, they really blew away the Axioms that I had. I have a feeling some people "may" not know what they are missing!

Anyway, nice to hear I'm not alone in thinking these are great sounding speakers. Never mind the great price and 10 year warranty! Not to mention made in the USA!

Cheers,
Patrick

post #15 of 600 Old 01-19-2004, 07:48 PM

I may have to check these speakers out. Repairs should be easy as I work across the street from the factory!!
post #16 of 600 Old 01-19-2004, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by THD100%
I may have to check these speakers out. Repairs should be easy as I work across the street from the factory!!

That is "if" they ever need to be repaired.

My guess is speakers that carry a 10 year warranty might not need to get repaired as often as some. But it's nice to live that close just in case.

Maybe you could get a tour though, that would be cool!

post #17 of 600 Old 01-19-2004, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

My dealer is going to be really happy with me...I went into this project with a specific budget, and I blew that on my receiver, now it looks like I am going to do it again with the speakers. sigh...oh well! I might be broke but my house is going to sound smokin'!

I bet my insurance guy is gonna want more cash too.
post #18 of 600 Old 01-19-2004, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by THD100%

Cool! I just ordered a set of V-12s... Um, could you go over every now and then and make sure they're not goofin' off??? Thanks!

...cheers

Dom Bucciarelli
post #19 of 600 Old 01-19-2004, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My dealer is going to be really happy with me...I went into this project with a specific budget, and I blew that on my receiver, now it looks like I am going to do it again with the speakers. sigh...oh well! I might be broke but my house is going to sound smokin'!

I bet my insurance guy is gonna want more cash too.

Ahh...... join the club

But, the Really important thing is your system is going to sound "Smokin'"!

BTW: What receiver did you go with?

Best Regards,
Patrick

post #20 of 600 Old 01-19-2004, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

I went with a NAD 753 and a NAD 513 player. I heard it with the V-4's and and V-6 center and it sounded amazing. When it comes in we are going to hook it up to the V-12's, 10's and 8's so I can have a listen. I will take it around to listen to a couple of different things to make sure...but I bet I like what I hear.

It looks to me that the V-10 is a V-8 mounted in a tower...do you know if that's true?

Thanks for all the info! I'll post back and let you know what I went with....
post #21 of 600 Old 01-20-2004, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I went with a NAD 753 and a NAD 513 player.

It looks to me that the V-10 is a V-8 mounted in a tower...do you know if that's true?

Thanks for all the info! I'll post back and let you know what I went with....

That setup is going to sound pretty sweet!!!

Yes, the V-10 is essentially a V-8 in a tower. But it does change the lower freq. quite a bit. The V-10 will extend lower of course.

The V-12 is a 3-way, though the two 7" woofers look the same, the upper driver is more of a full range driver, with the lower 7" being a dedicated woofer to freq. below 300Hz.

Glad I could help, let us know what you go with!

Best Regards,
Patrick

post #22 of 600 Old 01-20-2004, 01:37 PM

Liked: 12
I chose Phase Tech 10 years ago and I won't consider another dynamic speaker. Very natural, detailed, and accurate sound. In all their series. I have upgraded over the years, from the "Euro Series" in the early 90's to the "Teatro Series" (which contained different models than the Teatro's of tody), to their "Premier Collection" (PC Series). Each time I sit and listen I am still amazed by the detail. Quite a few times, I'd listen to an album I thought I knew well and noticed an instrument I did not hear before. Phase Tech does a great job at tuning their speakers. The great thing is the bass, not overemphasized or thin, but natural. I have a pair of 335ES (circa 1991) in my second system, 1" tweeter & 6.5" mid/woofer, and twice my friend asked me where the subwoofer was. Surprise, there is none.
Truly an amazing brand. I would urge anyone in the market for speakers to give Phase Tech a listen for yourself.
post #23 of 600 Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Very interesting speakers. I hadn't heard of them before. Sexy looking too.

Question, I was looking at the specs on their page and they (velocity series) struck me as being not very heavy speakers. How sturdy is the construction? Any idea how thick the cabinets are etc? I didn't see that on the site.

I don't usually pay much attention to weight so it could be that the weight is average. It just stood out to me for some reason.

Also, With the V6 center channel using 5.25 inch woofers and the bookshelves and towers using 7 inchers, do they still blend well? My current Polks use 5.25's in the center and 6.5's in the bookshelves and there's a distinct difference in the way they sound (even though they're "timbre matched" which I think is just BS marketing more than anything). It's noticable enough that I've been thinking about getting three bookshelves next time around and not getting a real center speaker. That's not what I'd like to do, however. A third bookshelf on top of the TV would be quite goofy looking.

-Doug
post #24 of 600 Old 01-27-2004, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had Phase Tech Model 6.5 for mains and a low end Phase Tech center channel for 10 years in my HT. I'm going to upgrade the cc but the 6.5 have been outstanding. I did have one warranty woofer replacement a few years ago. It went smoothly. The Phase Techs are not as great as my $4800. Bybee-ized Alon V that reside in my tubed audio setup, but they are eminently satisfying in my living room HT. Highly recommended.
post #25 of 600 Old 01-27-2004, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to demo the V-4's and V-8's this week and the speakers seemed very well made, attractive and sturdy to me. I picked them up and indeed they were not heavy, but the certainly didn't feel flimsy. I will get to hear the V-12's next week.
post #26 of 600 Old 01-27-2004, 02:18 PM

Wow, this has me seriously considering the Phase Tech Velocity line. I have a SVS PB2 ISD, so I'm leaning toward the V-10 or the V-8. I especially like the price of the V-8. Does anyone know if the V-8 gives up much to the V-10 (or the V-12 for that matter) other than low end?

Unfortunately, the only dealer here in Salt Lake does not keep these speakers at the store, they only can order them. Does anyone know if Phase Tech will ship these to me on a trial basis like the online retailers do?
Thanks in advance.
post #27 of 600 Old 01-27-2004, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have not heard the V-10, but I have heard the V-8 and though it sounds good it will not work for me as mains, although possibly as surrounds. Dealer did not have a V-10 so I haven't heard it, but it seems to me that after you get good stands for your V-8 you are almost at a V-10. I am looking forward to hearing the V-12's. I do not believe phasetech sells direct.

My problem is that I walked into the Linn room after I left the phasetech room...I am afraid. Very afraid.
post #28 of 600 Old 01-27-2004, 02:42 PM

Would you mind elaborating on why they won't work for you as mains?
Thanks.
post #29 of 600 Old 01-27-2004, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

I am getting a 5.1 system but its primary focus is two channel music. I like what the V-8's do..I just want "more" of what its doing coming from the two main speakers. Of course adding a the sub to the V-8's will fill out the sound..but I am not sure that I like the sound of bookshelves and a sub as well as two towers and a sub (or even without a sub) yet . (I'm a nOOb and still figuring out what I like).

Well ok, I know what I really like but the speakers were $4500 a pair and the electronics were $6000. But let's not talk about that...
post #30 of 600 Old 01-27-2004, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dammit!
Very interesting speakers. I hadn't heard of them before. Sexy looking too.

How sturdy is the construction? Any idea how thick the cabinets are etc? I didn't see that on the site.

Also, With the V6 center channel using 5.25 inch woofers and the bookshelves and towers using 7 inchers, do they still blend well?

Great Speakers! They are a little light, but very well made. The Cabinets use 3/4" MDF. They use a special One piece Uniframe speaker basket/baffle assembly. Here's a link to some more info HERE.

I use the V-6 with the V-12"s and the V-surounds. It is a Seamless blend! Listening to ALOT of Multi-channel music, they sound amazing in my room. Check them out if you can!

Best Regards,
Patrick

Reply Speakers