post #1 of 8 Old 03-08-2004, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The specs on these make my mouth water. :D
http://www.servodrive.com/SPL-runt.html

Who is using these and how do they sound?

Can they be stood up or do they have to lay down?

How much are they?

Any info would be appreciated! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-08-2004, 08:20 AM

Curious.
What peaks your interst in these? They look like stage monitors for live events. Are you considering these for a HT setup?

James
post #3 of 8 Old 03-08-2004, 10:08 AM

They look an awefully lot like stage monitors.. If they are, I don't like the angle on them. They really aren't tilted up enough. Plus they aren't biampable and the powerhandling it pretty low for professional applications. If you do have a desire for professional speakers for ht.. I'd check these http://www.eaw.com/products/cinema/screenchannel/ and the rest of EAW's lines out as well.

--Jim
post #4 of 8 Old 03-08-2004, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here is a response by Mark Seaton that may be of some help:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...25#post2882425

Additionally here are some other posts:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rder=ascending

Give them a call - Mark is more than willing to talk your ear off !

plug in to play
Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
post #5 of 8 Old 03-08-2004, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Hi Guys,

If you follow James's link above, you will see that just last night we added a handful more pictures.

The angle on the boundary compliant(TM) side of the box is not intended for monitor use, but rather to place the horn wall parallel to the boundary. This makes for the most benign interaction with the boundary. That boundary can be a ceiling, side wall, floor, or even another loudspeaker. I will make sure and have our webmaster yank the upside down shot. There are a few who have used them in this manner for unique applications, yet a more common use for this boundary compliance(TM) is as a down fill under a large main cluster, or when placed directly against a ceiling in a main, soffit, or under-balcony/delay ring application.

The runt is indeed a great speaker for home theater use. We are doing some investigation as to overall balance and such, but nothing more than some contouring of the response for the application with respect to placement and typical listening distance. As is it sounds extremely detailed and "live" sounding. Above 80-100Hz it has the output capability of speakers 2-3 times its size. Above 150Hz the horn is playing a major role, where below there the dual 8" woofers with almost 8mm of linear travel each way provide significant linearity to very dynamic levels. The continuous power rating of 400W is limited mostly by the sub 150Hz range where the horn unloads the woofer as well as the thermal capacity of the crossover components. Understand this is NOT a peak power rating. This rating would suggest for many music playback applications to employ amplifiers with 2 to 4 times this amount when justified. Through much of the midband/vocal range, drivers are at 1/10th to 1/4 of the driver's rated power with a 400W input. In short, the speaker is loafing in the important ranges, which lends to it's effortless, and stress free sound. For most home applications I would prefer an amplifier with 150-200W into 4 Ohms or more, with larger, well treated rooms with higher playback levels in mind justifying 400-1200W @ 4 Ohms if it is available. Of course they also sound quite nice on a little 80W/ch Adcom I still have. Just not as nice as they do with a LOT more power available.

An important factor many in the home theater realm are not used to expecting from a speaker is directivity or pattern control. This means that the sound is quite uniform within the 90 degree by 55 degree, straight walled horn. Outside of this window, the response begins to shelf off much more smoothly and more quickly than is seen in standard direct radiators, as well as older curved walled horns. As such, reflective surfaces in the room are excited much less, and front wall and early side wall reflections can be hugely reduced just by changing the speakers. This results in much better dialogue inteligibility, as well as better spacial placement of sounds.

"thebland" has had Chris Collins working on integrating these into his system, where many will hear them at the Michigan get together in April. There is also an older thread in this forum where Anthony Andaleon posted some pictures of a system he and I put together with 3 runts built into the front wall. One of the subjective comments we keep hearing is that they can truly frighten and make you jump from your seat when a soundtrack is intended to do so.

Best Regards,

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #6 of 8 Old 03-09-2004, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mark and all, but @ $2650 each they are out of my league financially speaking.

I blew my chance to get some TD-1s in the Kit form for only like $1000 a pair or something like that. Dang!

Mark , is their any chance at all of a kit being offered again? Maybe I should call Servodrive and see if they got any beaters laying around that they'd be willing to sell me? :)
post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-2004, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I suppose I could finally build some Pi Speakers, I had most of the parts to build some 4 Pi Pros once but changed my mind at the last minute.
The 4 Pi Pros are a 2 way bass reflex design that use a JBL 2226H 15" driver and the 2426H 1" compression driver. The parts are expensive for this kit though....they also have the Theater Series 4Pi which only runs about $250 per speaker for the parts.

http//:www.pispeakers.com
post #8 of 8 Old 03-09-2004, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Hi James,

Indeed, they are not inexpensive. I would argue they are a very good value performance and size wise, but the complete and complex Baltic Birch construction of the box make for a somewhat costly speaker. Trickle-down does take time. FYI, the kit once offered by Lambda Acoustics was essentially the horn employed in our trik, triktrap, and C^3.

At the time you and I first talked of the kit almost 3 years ago, I was not yet working for ServoDrive. Ironically, I just sold off my pair to a DIY/industry friend, and that's the last pair I know of. So far as old Unity type designs, we do still have some VFLs around, which are almost 102dB/1w/1m to ~80Hz, but that's a big 22.5" cube. The other option we can talk about off-line would be the first gen cosmetic of the C^3 which had 3 separate cloth grills. I had these in my basement when I first started here, and no question, they sound fantastic. Again, they aren't cheap, but they would be less than the retail price of the runts, and you won't have enough power to damage them. Of course the runts are, well, a lot more compact. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page