Best value in In-Ceiling speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-19-2004, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm gearing up to do a 6 zone - whole house audio distribution system in a new construction and need advice on which in-ceiling \\ in-wall speakers to use.

I'm leaning towards the NHT iC4 as the best bank for the buck for the in-ceilings and iW3 for the in-walls. Can anyone suggest other makes \\m odels that I should audition?

Thanks...RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Ray
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hi
You would be hard pressed to find a better Bang for the Buck speaker than these They are a tremendous value MSRP $249 but you can find them for
30-35% off that
please see attachment for picture

FEATURES - Nxg nx-pro103c High-Performance 10 inch 3-Way In-Ceiling Speaker System:
150 watts max power handling
10 inch “TRC” titanium anodized injection molded radiative cone technology woofer with rubber surround
3 1/2 inch titanium anodized injection molded cone midrange with rubber surround
Pivoting liquid-cooled 1 inch tweeter with titanium dome diaphragm
Switches for midrange and tweeter level adjustment
28Hz–22kHz
11 3/4 inch cut out
LL
post #3 of 13 Old 04-19-2004, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Can these speakers be driven efficiently with Russound CAV controllers? How much experience have you had with these speakers? Are you a custom installer?
post #4 of 13 Old 04-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Ray
Advanced Member

Hi
If you are talking about the CAV 6.6 it will effectively drive these speakers for Multi-Room applications as long as you don't boost the gain too much
The 6.6 is rated at 20wpc but is more like 15 The NXG's are more efficient than the NHT's But if you are into the party mode and are going to use the zones for more than background or have a large area to cover I would suggest you forget conventional in-walls/in-ceiling and look at Klipsch they will blast out plenty of sound with very little power
RCR3 and RCR5 come to mind
To answer your 2nd question Yes I am and I have installed many in-wall/in-ceilng speakers from many manufactures over the years

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
39Hz-20kHz±3dB
SENSITIVITY:
95dB @ 1watt/1meter
POWER HANDLING:
50 watts maximum continuous (200 watts peak)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
8 ohms
ENCLOSURE TYPE:
Infinite baffle, front flush with ceiling
DRIVE COMPONENTS:
Two-way system using one 1" (2.54cm) titanium dome compression driver tweeter with a swiveling 100° Asymetrical Tractrix® Horn and one 8" (20.32cm) aluminum cone woofer
TWEETER:
1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN:
100° Asymetrical Tractrix® Horn
HF CROSSOVER:
2100Hz
WOOFER:
8" (20.32cm) Cerametallic® cone / cast polymer frame
DIMENSIONS:
11" (27.94cm)
MOUNTING DEPTH:
5" (12.7cm)
CUTOUT DIMENSIONS:
9.75" (24.8cm)
WEIGHT:
5 lbs. (2.26kg)
INSTALLATION KIT:
R-800-IK
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:
ABS
FINISHES:
White
YEARS BUILT:
2000 -

Hope this helps
RLA
post #5 of 13 Old 04-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Ray
Advanced Member

Forgot picture
LL
post #6 of 13 Old 04-19-2004, 04:17 PM

Ray,
I have a quick question for you.....I am in the process of building a HT room (appx 12' x 18.5', w/10' ceilings). I have my front speakers already but space is limited in the back of my room as I have an angle in the back wall, so I have been looking into ceiling speakers for the surround sides & rears. I am looking to spend a decent amount for 4 speakers....I would really like some dipoles but havent seen any that would work for my setup
LL
post #7 of 13 Old 04-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Ray
Advanced Member

Hi
What Inwalls did you install in the front?
post #8 of 13 Old 04-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

For ambient music i'd definately check out Boston Acoustics in ceiling speakers. I've paired their DSi255 and DSi455 in ceiling speakers with the russound 6.6 with a lot of success. For smaller rooms i've used the single stereo mode of the DSi455T2 or the DSi465T2 as well. These are great for kitchens and master baths, or small studies.

For in ceiling surround speakers i'd give the Boston VRi585T2 a strong listen for quality dipole surround. If your budget is higher check out james loudspeakers, they make some great shallow depth inwall speakers (though no dipole as of yet, though they are amazingly 3d speakers, especially their 10x) James also makes some unreal subs and some surprisingly good inwall subs. My showroom consists of two of their 110sdx subs and they are quite nice, though if you have the room i still think their emb series subs are the way to go.

Good luck,
Daniel
post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2004, 06:00 AM

RNaval,

I'm using IC3's for rear surround and I'm very happy with them. They replaced SuperOne in-walls that also worked pretty well. I think the NHT's provide very good value if you have the amplifier power to drive them.

Check out adnm.com - John usually has good deals on NHT.

Bluecar
post #10 of 13 Old 04-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Ray
Advanced Member

Hi
All of the previous speakers that have been mentioned are good
However there are two things you need to consider for your Surround/EX
chanels #1 If your are going to use the system for multi-channel music
listening DVA-D,SACD,DTS,PL II ect... then I strongly reccomend that you voice match the surround speakers with the front and center
#2 Looking at your room layout you appear to have a hard angle
on the right rear wall and an opening or slider on the left wall
The hard angle on the left wall will effect the dispersion of a side mounted
Dipole,Bipole or Monopole speaker and the opening on the left wall
will do the same You may be better served in a room that is oddshaped with limited placement for surrounds with something more like this
Mounted behind the listening position
See attachment
DESCRIPTION
The Ci Series Ci 200QT is a ceiling-mount loudspeaker with a motorised tilt facility utilising a fourth generation Uni-Q® driver array. The 200mm (8) Uni-Q driver array comprising of: 200mm (8) polypropylene bass/mid driver with a co-incident mounted 25mm (1) tweeter is housed in a moulded ABS enclosure with an integral DC motor.

There are five pre-set tilt positions available which are triggered from either the automatic music
sensingmode by music or film soundtracks, or from a manual mode to be triggered by a variety of installer-specified controls.

Ci 200QT can be used in multiple configurations, with one mastercontrolling several slave units operating from it. The stainless steel bezel and grille can be painted to specification or covered by fabric to suit the style of the room.

The 2-way Ci 200QT combines 100W power handling and 88dB sensitivity, with a frequency response (±3dB) of 50Hz - 20kHz and a maximum output of 108dB.

FEATURES AND BENEFITS.
Fourth generation Uni-Q driver array. Superb off-axis dispersion characteristics from the co-incidentsource driver arrangement with greater flexibility of positioning that comes from such a wide soundstage.

200mm (8) bass/mid driver. Excellent bass extension from a flush mount loudspeaker.

Five pre-set tilt positions with music sensing mode.
Provides a unique touch of sophistication for the discerning client.

Moulded ABS enclosure. Ensures optimum performance from Uni-Q array regardless of the volume of the cavity placement.
LL
post #11 of 13 Old 04-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Ray
Advanced Member

Or this

The Ellipse 2.0 LCR raises the bar on our leadership in In-Ceiling Home Theater speaker performance. Featuring Sonance's proprietary SonicEye technology, the Ellipse 2.0 LCR adds new dampening system for increased acoustical clarity. The baffle features a dampening pad to absorb reflections generated by the midrange, increasing the sound quality of the speaker!
LL
post #12 of 13 Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 AM
Ray
Advanced Member

Or this
Sorry I wish I knew how to apply all pictures in a single reply
AIM8 Five

Pivoting and Rotating 8" Kevlar Cone Woofer
Pivoting 1" Aluminum/Magnesium Dome Tweeter
Front mounted switches allow for up to ¹3dB of Bass and Treble adjustment
Accu-Grille dramatically reduces unwanted acoustic reflections
Efficiency: 91 dB 1W/1m Power Recommendations: 5 - 100 watts (undistorted)
Impedance: 8/6/4 OHMS depending on switch settings
Frequency Response: 33Hz - 20kHz ¹2dB
Diameter x Depth: 11-15/16" x 5-1/2"
Cut-out Diameter: 9-3/4"

all of these in-ceiling speakers sound very good and would solve the problem with you odd shaped room one possibility is to use 3 in-ceiling speakers behind the listening position 2 for the surrounds aimed at the listening position and one in the center for the EX channel aimed slightly away from the listening position One thing you need to keep in mind it is very hard for anyone to give advice looking at a 2-D basic room layout
When we design a system for a client we consult with them in there home and see the acual room,listening/viewing positions,room acoustical properties and the contents of the room all of these things effect the way a system will perform and where speaker placement needs to be in relationship to the listening position We spend allot of time in this stage of the system design/install I am in no way endorsing one method over the other but this may give you or your installer different installation possibilities
Hope this helps
RLA
LL
post #13 of 13 Old 04-20-2004, 06:13 PM

Yeah, My drawing is a bit old.....but the dimensions of the room have not changed....the walls are now built, but I decided not to have side-wall mounted dipoles due to the sharp angle in my room, this leaves me with the possibility of doing 3 or 4 in ceiling speakers....or 2 side ceiling speakers & 2 rear in wall speakers....... I DO want to match the timbre of the front speakers....but I have Swan Diva 5.1's....& swan does not make an in wall speaker.....so I am not sure what to do.....sell the fronts & center & get all new speakers? I do like my Diva's.....
By the way, I listen to music in 2 channel, but I do want to be able to take advantage of multi-channel music someday.
I am not even close to finishing the room, but I do want to get all my speakers figured out....

thanks in advance.....

Joe
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page