Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 11-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sounds like M&K S-150's would suit you well. They will play to your ears bleed, and still be crystal clear.
post #3 of 48 Old 11-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i think anything from cerwin vega
post #4 of 48 Old 11-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Klipsch..........will go loud because they are easy to power with their high efficiency.
post #5 of 48 Old 11-09-2004, 05:44 PM

Liked: 10
Most definatly we will need a budget. When one wants loud SPL, one must be willing to shell out some clams. This is even more apperant at one of the most important things to HT , bass. and to get plenty of it and at low frequncies you must have lots of power with large woofers and large excursions.
goin on no budget in specific.
I would suggest seprates. Now if you want to save money find a cheaper reciever with preamp outputs there are some pioneers and yamahas that come to mind in the 500 - 600 range. There is the outlaw preamp at www.outlawaudio.com that is 950 bucks. There are also many other preamp/processors out there.
THen i would suggest a good minimum of 200 WPC into 7 channels that "doubles down" into 4 ohms. I would suggest breakin up into a stero for the mains and then a 5 channel for everything else.
Speakers i would suggest 4 ohm speakers for more power from the amps and of high sensitivity as in above 90 db w m and also larger speakers with multiple drivers and the like, somethin that comes to mind is m and k units
Then i wold suggest a passive sub solution either DIY with a adire audio driver www.adireaudio.com with multiple enclosures at least 2 and then a crown or similar pro amp with a good 500 watts and then a BFD for parametric equalizer

EDIT sry outlaw pre/pro is only 800 bucks

Just some vague suggestions

Ed
post #6 of 48 Old 11-09-2004, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the Klipsch RF-7s and I love them even though I blew out the RSW-15 subwoofer but they send me a new one yesterday, no questions asked. I think they sound clean, bright and realistic. I calibrated it with the Avia disc and man, did it sound great. I'm thinking about adding the SVS PB12 Ultra/2 as soon as they come out with the new wood finish.
post #7 of 48 Old 11-09-2004, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
For concert level SPL get anything from: http://www.servodrive.com/

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #8 of 48 Old 11-09-2004, 10:35 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edsullivan
There is the outlaw preamp at www.outlawaudio.com that is 950 bucks.
No cigar, Ed. The pre/pro is the Model 950. It costs $799.

It's nice unit, though. I really like mine.

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #9 of 48 Old 11-09-2004, 11:17 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Dear kirtis.

You're 19 and you probably have good hearing.

Enjoy it now because if you listen LOUD you won't have it long.

Believe me, I've been there and lost it. Get an AM radio, tune it between stations to that high-pitched whine, and put it on earplugs. That's what your ears will be like AT ALL TIMES in about 10 years. It's called tinitus and it's not fun. It *can* and *will* happen to you.

Get a Radio Shack SPL meter $35 and measure just how loud you like it. NEVER listen to a C-weighted SPL over 95 dB for very long. If you do you're simply killing your ear cells.

post #10 of 48 Old 11-09-2004, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

DMF speaks the truth. I'm a victim of tinitus too. It was fun that's for sure, but if I had to do it over again, I would have been more careful.

"Your Life Is Your Message"
post #11 of 48 Old 11-10-2004, 01:55 AM

Kirtis,

If you really want loud, don't even bother with consumer electronics- go PA. You can get a lot more loud for your $ using PA amps and speakers. They won't be exactly hi-fi, but you will have that front row, ears-ringing-for-days Metallica concert experience in your living room.

However, I think you will eventually learn that there is more to audio than loud. Once I stopped having campus-wide house parties, I switched from 96 db sensitive horn loaded monsters to 86 db sensitive planars.

good luck
post #12 of 48 Old 11-10-2004, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I second that notion about protecting your ears, loud is not always good
when you get older you will see. I remember the days of attending concerts and standing a few feet from speaker towers it was fun then but you will pay for it later. Think quality of sound not volume!!
post #13 of 48 Old 11-10-2004, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

But, loud is what puts the "theater" in home and (some) commercial theaters. Who would listen to Saving PVT Ryan softly? Continuous exposure to sound levels over 130dB can cause permanent hearing loss, but since music and sound effects are dynamic it is OK to get it somewhat loud for short periods.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #14 of 48 Old 11-10-2004, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed on the Hometheater levels, it's the prolonged listening to loud music that will get you. Hard Rock and Roll in particular, as my ears can attest! ;)
Luckily my listening habits have changed over the yaers, otherwise I'd be deaf! What was that you said? :D

Best Regards,
Patrick

post #15 of 48 Old 11-10-2004, 10:11 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Studies have actually shown the opposite, that short periods of high SPL are more destructive to the ears than prolonged periods. For instance, who would you expect to have worse hearing 15 years later, rock and roll musicians or their fans. Musicians get it every night (monitor systems have near-field intensity like the stacks), but fans rarely. The fans have more loss, by a fair margin!

htg, don't be fooled by your stats. 130 dB causes permanent loss. Tinitus is not considered loss. It's caused by much lower levels. I've never listened to LOUD music at home. But I do like to go to Who concerts. Where do you think I got hit? It's those 3-hour concerts at 120 dB, that's where.

I too would watch Private Ryan at refence level or above (love the tanks approaching the bridge in the battle at the end). But what we consider loud is less than 95 dB average. Any higher than that and I'd use hearing protection.

post #16 of 48 Old 11-10-2004, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
I do like to go to Who concerts. Where do you think I got hit? It's those 3-hour concerts at 120 dB, that's where.
DMF:

I've seen The Who here in N Cal twice in the last 4 years, they're pretty loud however.....

Last year I saw Ted Nugent and was forced to do something I never thought anybody could make me do. I went to the first aid station and got ear plugs. My hearing is already beat up pretty bad (low level hearing loss) and I work as a software engineer and need to hear for my job.

kirtis:

A couple of JBL E100s and a EC35 would fit the bill nicely for loud clean music, also fit your budget as well.
post #17 of 48 Old 11-10-2004, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

An to all you vets, we can be saluted for still having decent hearing in each ear after years of work near high freq jet engines or artillery fire. Happy Vets Day *==

post #18 of 48 Old 11-10-2004, 10:43 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

The Who aren't as loud as they used to be, either. Pete has some serious hearing issues now, and they've had to make some concessions for him. Even hired a lead guitarist so he doesn't have to stand in the monitor field. He doesn't always let the guy play, though. :D

post #19 of 48 Old 11-10-2004, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought I heard (no pun initially intended) that it's the high SPLs in the lower freq. range that tends to do more damage. DMF have you heard of that?

post #20 of 48 Old 11-11-2004, 06:46 AM

If you want something in the pro realm, I would suggest Renkus Heinz, these babies rock, and are some of the most accurate pro speakers I,ve ever heard.

Heath

The definition of insanity is repeating the same experiment over and over expecting different results each time.
post #21 of 48 Old 11-11-2004, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
There is a thread on another forum that is going over protecting your hearing.

Protect Your Hearing

Provided by National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders

Know which noises can cause damage. Wear ear plugs when you are involved in a loud activity.

110 Decibels - Regular exposure of more than 1 minute risks permanent hearing loss.

100 Decibels - No more than 15 minutes unprotected exposure recommended.

90 Decibels - Prolonged exposure to any noise above 90 decibels can cause gradual hearing loss.

How Loud is Too Loud?
Example noises and their decibel levels:
140 Decibels - rock concerts, firecrackers

120 Decibels - boom cars, snowmobiles

110 Decibels - chainsaw

100 Decibels - woodshop

90 Decibels - lawn mower, motorcycle

80 Decibels - city traffic noise

60 Decibels - normal conversation

40 Decibels - refrigerator humming

20 Decibels - whispered voice

0 Decibels - threshold of normal hearing

http://health.yahoo.com/health/centers/hearing_loss/4

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #22 of 48 Old 11-11-2004, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
No cigar, Ed. The pre/pro is the Model 950. It costs $799.

It's nice unit, though. I really like mine.
Yup, I noticed that afterwards and put a edit at the bottom.
post #23 of 48 Old 11-11-2004, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

www.mkprofessional.com gets loud.

post #24 of 48 Old 11-11-2004, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 321
With respect to listening levels and damage to hearing, note that for any of these levels, frequency needs to be accounted for. There is more than an 80dB difference in what SPL equates to equal loudness at 1kHz vs. 20Hz. I personally find slow averaged A weighting to be more indicative of what I equate to average loudness. C Weighting is supposed to more equate to our sensitivities at higher levels, but there is no question that the higher frequencies are what really hurt. Also remember the difference between peaks and averages. At most concerts I see them running at 90-105dB A average levels, where I grab my ear plugs much above 95dBA.

Realize that this is quite different from a movie soundtrack. Most everything is dynamic, so the long term average taking into account all the quiet points make for a very moderate average over the course of the movie. While we hear about dialogue often being intended for about 80-85dB at the listening position, even this is not continuous. I had asked Tomlinson Holman if anyone had checked the exposure levels in cinemas with larger THX systems set to reference playback. He said he had taken OSHA devices into multiple movies to check exactly this and not once was anywhere near any sort of significant levels. That said, if you continually play raukus demo scenes as I have done a few times at trade shows and such, the average levels can be quite a bit higher for these few chapters.

Once again, we need to remember that when a system is overdriven, overloaded or clipped, the peaks are pulled down, and the valleys are filled in, making for a quickly diminishing dynamic range, and much higher average level. Just as important is the spectral content of much of what we listen to. A very larger proportion of sound lies in the midrange and lower treble. A system distorting this spectral content adds significant amounts of energy in the 2-5 octaves above this range, which happen to be our most sensitive region. Combine both factors of compression and distortion harmonics and we see the subjective level of an overdriven system is much louder than the peak levels would indicate.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #25 of 48 Old 11-11-2004, 12:13 PM
DMF
AVS Special Member

avaholic, I may have read about that, but I don't recall it. Intuitively, it seems that the HF sensors are smaller and thus more easily damaged, but there may be other factors.

post #26 of 48 Old 11-11-2004, 12:27 PM

High SPLs in the upper freq range --> hearing damage
High SPLs in the lower freq range --> brain damage

:)
post #27 of 48 Old 11-11-2004, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would second the suggestion of going with Klipch. You can get almost twice the volume out of the same wattage output than many speakers. Although some may find them a bit bright, I think they are perfect for home theater (although not my first choice for music). If you are on a budget, the new Synergy III series sounds pretty darn good for the money (available at Best Buy). I heard them and thought the center channel sounded very clear and accurate for vocals - something that many brands seem to have trouble with as far as center channels go (even if the mains sound excellent). Top it off with a sub from SVS or HSU and you have a fairly nice (and very loud) system for not a lot of money.

No matter where you go, There you are ;)
post #28 of 48 Old 11-11-2004, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by hdshark
High SPLs in the upper freq range --> hearing damage
High SPLs in the lower freq range --> brain damage

:)
Uh oh. I hoppe Iam nott dame brammaged form wutching intire Star Wars set last workend wit mi SVS abuve ref livil :eek:

No matter where you go, There you are ;)
post #29 of 48 Old 11-12-2004, 10:28 AM

Check out the new JPL Pro SRX700 series.

Mark
post #30 of 48 Old 11-12-2004, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by kirtis_mcleskey
firs toff let me say that I like watching Movies LOUD
You need horns like the SPL runts and classic Klipsch designs.
Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page