Studio 100 - Martin Logan Comparison - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-17-2004, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my Nad back from the shop and while I was there they had a pair of Martin Logans and Studio 100 v.3s hooked up a/b to a Nad T-773. Their demo rooms were still being repaired, so I could only hear them in the main showroom with is less than acoustically perfect. I didn’t bring any reference material, so I used their Diana Krall CD. I turned off the sub, center, surrounds and set the mains to large. I expected the 100s to have a lot more bass than the Logans, but the difference was actually pretty minor – I’d say the 100s produced maybe 10% more bass. The Logans definitely imaged better but their dispersion pattern was much narrower than the 100s. With both speakers, the piano sounded exactly like a piano, and I could not say that either one of them sounded “more†like a piano; or had a “better†piano sound. When I stood about 10 feet back and directly in front of them, the Logans sounded crisper and the overall separation as far as where sounds are “supposed†to come from seemed a bit more accurate than the 100s. However, when I moved off axis by a few feet, the differences between the two speakers was not nearly as noticeable. The Logans also had to be set out from the wall much more so than the 100s to obtain optimum sound. They are both great speakers, but I would conclude that the 100s are a bit more flexible given their wider dispersion pattern – affording a larger sweet spot, and their ability to be placed closer to the wall.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page