ERA Speakers - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1248 Old 08-07-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by crux19 View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger and upgrade to the AVR-2112ci from my older AVR-687. I currently have two Design Era 4 (6 ohm) bookshelf front speakers and the matching center channel which sound great. I'm looking for advice on what might be good to pair with them when it comes to a L/R rear pair of speakers. I might also be in the market for a sub and hoping that based on my receiver and current 3 speaker setup I might get some general advice on what would sound good at about the same price point.

I purchased the two front speakers used off of Audiogon and the center from Underwood HiFi so would prefer to get something used or on a super sale (last year model) since I don't need cutting edge or shiny new.

My main input is my HTPC over HDMI for movies and music.

Thanks much for any perspective on complimentary speakers and if you might be aware of any places with a good deal.

Your choices are limitless regarding L and R surround speakers. No need to match brands for HT and I'll suggest looking for a used pair of Paradigm Atoms. Depending on the version, $100-$300 pair. IMO, the Atom is very good performing value speaker. Look for a pair of Era D3 if you want to match the front 3 and listen to multi-channel music.

The choices in SW are also varied. I think M&K sealed subs are good value, excellent musically and also good for HT. Take a look at this new KX-12 on eBay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1248 Old 08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
what is the recommended distance away from the wall for the D5's?

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #1233 of 1248 Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post

what is the recommended distance away from the wall for the D5's?

I like to start at about a foot... You may go further depending on your room acoustics.
David
post #1234 of 1248 Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachtree Audio View Post

I like to start at about a foot... You may go further depending on your room acoustics.
David

OK, so they like a little reinforcement from the wall behind them. I had been going on the further away from the wall the better approach

I have a very live room, glass, bare walls, not a lot of furniture and I keep fiddling with placement. Toe-in or not toe-in? I saw someone suggest extreme toe-in, so they cross in front of you. What do you think? Its a 12x 18 room, and at times I think it sounds better sitting at the back of the room, a supposed no-no.

Thanks

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #1235 of 1248 Old 11-19-2011, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I recently snagged a pair of Peachtree DS4.5's for a nice price to try on my desktop... but I was also considering trying them as L/R in a 3.1 bedroom setup, along with an Era D3 LCR as center.

The bedroom is 11x16, and the listening position is about 9ft or so away. This would be for evening/late night listening, so low level resolution is way more important than system output.

It's my understanding the DS4.5 was designed with nearfield use in mind, but I'm curious if any particular reason they wouldn't working in a more traditional setting like that mentioned above.

Has anyone used them as mains in a small room, instead of nearfield?
post #1236 of 1248 Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

bump... not much action around here, huh?
post #1237 of 1248 Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

I recently snagged a pair of Peachtree DS4.5's for a nice price to try on my desktop... but I was also considering trying them as L/R in a 3.1 bedroom setup, along with an Era D3 LCR as center.

The bedroom is 11x16, and the listening position is about 9ft or so away. This would be for evening/late night listening, so low level resolution is way more important than system output.

It's my understanding the DS4.5 was designed with nearfield use in mind, but I'm curious if any particular reason they wouldn't working in a more traditional setting like that mentioned above.

Has anyone used them as mains in a small room, instead of nearfield?

Ive been curious about those 4.5's. Wish they were cheaper than $600 though. I REALLY want to hear the Silverline Audio's Minuet and compare the two....
post #1238 of 1248 Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

Ive been curious about those 4.5's. Wish they were cheaper than $600 though. I REALLY want to hear the Silverline Audio's Minuet and compare the two....

They were just delivered 2 days ago, but so far I think they sound really sweet for nearfield use. I haven't tried them anywhere else yet.

$600 is pretty steep though. I was fortunate to get them for much less than that - although they're used and have a few cosmetic issues (nothing major, but I like my gear pristine).

I'm fairly sure now that I'll have my eye out for a deal on used pair of the original Era D4's... I like the look alot better, and Dave Solomon mentioned they're a bit better due to better cabinetry.

I'd love to hear the new Minuet Supremes as well... but they aren't cheap either.
post #1239 of 1248 Old 12-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

They were just delivered 2 days ago, but so far I think they sound really sweet for nearfield use. I haven't tried them anywhere else yet.

$600 is pretty steep though. I was fortunate to get them for much less than that - although they're used and have a few cosmetic issues (nothing major, but I like my gear pristine).

I'm fairly sure now that I'll have my eye out for a deal on used pair of the original Era D4's... I like the look alot better, and Dave Solomon mentioned they're a bit better due to better cabinetry.

I'd love to hear the new Minuet Supremes as well... but they aren't cheap either.

Yeah the D4's do look sweet. They $100 more than the 4.5's, though. Damn you high-priced, delicious gear!!!
post #1240 of 1248 Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've just ordered a pair of D5 speakers (used, $450) and a Nova (used, $700). Seemed like a pretty good deal to me, so just leave me dreaming if it wasn't :-).

These were my considerations :

* I'll be playing music from my computer (macbookpro). It's all in mp3 or flac/alac format. I'd also use my new system for watching movies (uncompressed bluray rips played from the same computer), but I'm not willing to spend extra on features that are good for movie watching only and not for music. I doubt I'd use the iPod docks much if at all.

* Most of my listening will be in a normal size (bed/living) room. Some over headphones. It'd be nice to also be able to occasionally host the small living room party for a group of friends and have the music sound good enough with enough volume and "pretty" bass to get people dancing.

* I have no existing hardware. I'd prefer to limit the number of wires and boxes.

* I'm not rich. I can't afford more than I spent (e.g. a new iNova (-> what I really wanted), or the Grands).

So, my questions :

1/ Did I get the right pieces? I could've bought an iDecco for about the same price as the old Nova, but I figured the extra Watts would pay off more than whatever improvements Peachtree has put into their products between generations.

2/ Given my setup (MacBook Pro + Nova), what cable(s) should I buy to hook them up? Is there anything else I need to buy besides such a cable?

Thanks everyone!

Kevin
post #1241 of 1248 Old 12-26-2011, 09:08 AM

Hi Kevin,

That's a great combo, and you got a great price - especially on those D5's. Good call on the Nova's extra watts - the D5 doesn't need the extra power for a small room, but it certainly takes advantage of it - especially for movie watching without a sub.

Get a USB cable to hook up the laptop to the Nova, and you're set gear-wise. Time to listen to things, and to play around with no-cost tweaks. It's a good enough combo that you'll clearly hear the difference between compressed and uncompressed music. If you have a CD collection in storage, now's the time to think about re-ripping everything as FLAC/ALAC. And depending on how lound you listen, try plugging the Nova directly into the wall rather than into a computer-oriented surge protector - you may find it makes a notable difference in sound quality.

Also, be willing to play around with the D5's placement in the room. They can boom a bit if you put them right up against the wall, but since you're playing everything from a laptop you can probably mitigate it with a software EQ curve. Also don't be afraid to try pulling them out into the room (on stands, for example) to see how the sound changes, and experiment with the grilles on and off.

Finally, make sure you have a comfy chair in the speakers' sweet spot, because everything sounds better from a comfy chair!

-Hans
post #1242 of 1248 Old 12-28-2011, 01:14 PM

I love my D4's (hence my username )

Had them for 4-5 months and don't plan to get rid of them anytime soon. Wonderful speakers
post #1243 of 1248 Old 12-29-2011, 06:14 AM

Me too, love my D4's. I have had them for a little longer--a couple of years. Great quality for the price. I can listen to them all day long--not fatiguing at all.
post #1244 of 1248 Old 04-01-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Digging up an old thread here....

So I've been demo'ing 3x Era D4 LCR's as my front stage, and overall I'm pretty impressed with them. They're a little upper mid/treble forward for my tastes... but the imaging and soundstage has really impressed me.

I've been running them off a Denon AVR-991 without issue... but I'm wondering what people think about running these off a Marantz NR1402?

According to the HomeTheater.com review, sensitivity is 87dB, and impedance stays above 4 ohm, with the lowest being 4.48 ohms. I have read over and over how Era speakers need beefy amps to perform, but it doesn't seem like the D4 LCR is a really difficult load, and the Marantz should be ok (assuming I am not really cranking to high volume - which I don't). Am I off base here?
post #1245 of 1248 Old 04-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Digging up an old thread here....

So I've been demo'ing 3x Era D4 LCR's as my front stage, and overall I'm pretty impressed with them. They're a little upper mid/treble forward for my tastes... but the imaging and soundstage has really impressed me.

I've been running them off a Denon AVR-991 without issue... but I'm wondering what people think about running these off a Marantz NR1402?

According to the HomeTheater.com review, sensitivity is 87dB, and impedance stays above 4 ohm, with the lowest being 4.48 ohms. I have read over and over how Era speakers need beefy amps to perform, but it doesn't seem like the D4 LCR is a really difficult load, and the Marantz should be ok (assuming I am not really cranking to high volume - which I don't). Am I off base here?

When I moved up to two D5's and a D5 LCR for my system, I gave my two D4's to my parents who used them connected to a 40 year old Sansui 2-channel receiver. They certainly do not crank them up, but they work fine. I would expect they would do OK with the Marantz as long as you do not drive the Marantz to the point of clipping the signal. As for the D4's sounding a bit mid/treble forward, while the D4 LCR can be treated as a full-range speaker, they really benefit from using them in conjunction with an added subwoofer with the cutoff set to 100Hz on the D4's.
post #1246 of 1248 Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post

When I moved up to two D5's and a D5 LCR for my system, I gave my two D4's to my parents who used them connected to a 40 year old Sansui 2-channel receiver. They certainly do not crank them up, but they work fine. I would expect they would do OK with the Marantz as long as you do not drive the Marantz to the point of clipping the signal. As for the D4's sounding a bit mid/treble forward, while the D4 LCR can be treated as a full-range speaker, they really benefit from using them in conjunction with an added subwoofer with the cutoff set to 100Hz on the D4's.

I'm using them with a sub... xover is set to 80Hz... Dave Soloman actually recommends (earlier in this thread) using 60-70Hz for the D4/D4-LCR... I'm using a Denon AVR-991, and when running Audyssey XT, it selects a 60Hz xover based on the Audyssey measurements, so I went with 80Hz.

It's not that they sound lean or lacking in upper bass... they actually have a little boost there... it's that they don't sound neutral in the upper mid/low treble region, compared to say, the NHT Classic Three (I A/B compared the two over the weekend).

I guess I'll just give them a go with the Marantz and see if the unit gets warm or anything... I can't imagine I'd push it to clip... since I just don't listen at really loud volumes, and even with movies that have large dynamic swings, I should be OK since I always have Audyssey Dynamic Volume engaged for movies (I turn it off for music), set to either Evening or Midnight... so my needs are not high SPL and dynamics...
post #1247 of 1248 Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

I'm using them with a sub... xover is set to 80Hz... Dave Soloman actually recommends (earlier in this thread) using 60-70Hz for the D4/D4-LCR... I'm using a Denon AVR-991, and when running Audyssey XT, it selects a 60Hz xover based on the Audyssey measurements, so I went with 80Hz.

It's not that they sound lean or lacking in upper bass... they actually have a little boost there... it's that they don't sound neutral in the upper mid/low treble region, compared to say, the NHT Classic Three (I A/B compared the two over the weekend).

I guess I'll just give them a go with the Marantz and see if the unit gets warm or anything... I can't imagine I'd push it to clip... since I just don't listen at really loud volumes, and even with movies that have large dynamic swings, I should be OK since I always have Audyssey Dynamic Volume engaged for movies (I turn it off for music), set to either Evening or Midnight... so my needs are not high SPL and dynamics...

Yes, I think you will be fine. As for how they sound in the upper mid/low treble region...speaker taste is subjective, of course. I heard the D4's and D5's demoed before I purchased them listening to recordings of several live performances of classical and modern music and was really impressed with the depth of the soundstage they produced and the sound seemed very "natural" to me. I am sure there are better speakers out there, but for the size and price I was impressed enough to buy them.
post #1248 of 1248 Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM

I'm a noob and hope this post is ok.  I'm looking for a cherry D4 LCR in good condition.  I will also consider pairs in other finishes. Thanks.

Found one,  11/3/13 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page