Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 465 Old 09-20-2007, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woziak View Post

1. If you look at his room layout you'll notice his couch is against the back wall. This way the rear channels will not be able to bounce of the rear wall. For the rear channels to function there has to be some space between the couch and the rear wall.
In my setup there is no right side wall either. It is difficult to adjust the right rear channel with the test-signal but it does not prevent the YSP from creating an enveloping surroundfield while watching movies. So no it does not distract from the overall experience.

2. If you are willing to adjust your room layout to the benefit of the YSP you will be very happy with it. Trying to make it work in an environment it isn't designed for leads to frustration.
I would choose a YSP over any conventional 5.1 system in the same price range any day based on the true surround experience...

Thanks for responding to my questions.

I'm setting up a new plasma for a relative who lives in a small apartment that is 'acoustically challanged.' I just took delivery of a Yamaha YSP-900 and will try to configure it next week in this less-than-ideal environment...It's probably not going to work out that well, but if the sound is acceptable under the circumstances then that's how it'll stay.

I chose the sound projector because the user does not want (nor would it be practical) five seperate speakers and the other objective was to 'keep things simple.' Since the speakers contain their own amplifier that eliminates the need for one additional piece of equipment.

Panasonic TH-50PZ700U, Oppo 981HD, Yam YSP-900, Motorola DCH-3416 PVR.

Thanks again for your reply.

-George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 465 Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 AM

Just try to match the room examples from the manual as close as possible and you will be surprised how it performs...
post #453 of 465 Old 09-22-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woziak View Post

Just try to match the room examples from the manual as close as possible and you will be surprised how it performs...

Thanks.

-G
post #454 of 465 Old 10-16-2007, 04:55 AM

Hi,

I wonder if someone has similar living room as mine. Most of the room suits YSP-1100 well but there are two big openings (two arcs) on the left wall.

Would these openings affect SL beam? Otherwise it should work fine, it's hard to find a listening room where I live, thanks

/John
LL
post #455 of 465 Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johi View Post

Hi,

I wonder if someone has similar living room as mine. Most of the room suits YSP-1100 well but there are two big openings (two arcs) on the left wall.

Would these openings affect SL beam? Otherwise it should work fine, it's hard to find a listening room where I live, thanks

/John

My room is similar, but perhaps deeper, and with other challenges. The 1100 performs well. The beams bounce off the side walls about half way between the couch and the speaker, so you should be all set there. The rear beams mostly bounce off the rear walls, so it looks like you are all set there. I don't think there is much use of the rear side walls, they don't count on double bounces.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #456 of 465 Old 10-16-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Thinking of getting a YSP-400 and have several questions / concerns. Thanks in advance for your help.

1) I don't really have a wall to thr right of the setup. I have already read this could be an issue though it should still sound pretty good. Is this so?

2) The room is FULL of windows. I will usually have the shades down when using it, but in general will it sound better with shades up or down and will either be significantly comprmised? At least glass is a reflective surface. I am worried the shades will absorb the sound rather than bounce it.

3) Will the 2 HDMI inputs also accept the sound from HDMI? Assuming yes, this leads to several follow-up questions:

a) Is it HDMI 1.3 compatible for the purpose of pass-through, etc.

b) Will it pass-through the sound as well as the video?

c) Do I get more possible sound inputs using the HDMI in concert with the other sources? In other words, can I have 2 HDMI plus all the other audio sources at the same time?

4) Does it pass through signals when not turned on or in use? In other words, if I just wanted the TV speakers on low for whatever reason, will it pass-through the full HDMI signal and allow audio to the TV if I am not using the YSP for sound then?

5) If no to #4, is it possible to get very low volumes that are still clear (i.e. the vocals aren't drowned out by the sound effects and music)? We sometimes watch with the volume low after the kids are asleep and if this becomes the primary audio source, it would be critical...

Thanks.
post #457 of 465 Old 10-16-2007, 04:33 PM

Wired mag just came out with their recommendations/pre tests on some 300 new products.

Its alot of marketing and by no means definitive, but they rank the 4000 as the top sound bar design.

Sorry no link.
post #458 of 465 Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisf View Post

If this thing was priced at $800, it would fly off the shelves.

^^ quoted 2 years 8 months 9 days ago for YSP-1.

Today I bought an open box YSP800 for $135 from best buy. Technology is a weird thing...

Tonight, I will audition it against the denon 1905 + athena micra combination.

Who do you think will beat?
post #459 of 465 Old 11-28-2007, 10:05 PM

Is there anyway that we can integrate one of these systems into a laptop with an external soundcard i.e. Creative Audigy and a Klispch Promedia Subwoofer?

If not, what would be the easiest way. I really wnat to use the Klipsch subwoofer to save the money.
post #460 of 465 Old 12-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMAIN64 View Post

Wired mag just came out with their recommendations/pre tests on some 300 new products.

Its alot of marketing and by no means definitive, but they rank the 4000 as the top sound bar design.

Sorry no link.

Here's the link:

WIRED MAGAZINE TEST: Yamaha YSP-4000
post #461 of 465 Old 12-21-2007, 03:06 PM

If anyone is still interested, Amazon currently has the YSP-800, new in box, for $360 shipped.

DBinMV
post #462 of 465 Old 04-02-2008, 02:04 PM

Is ~$500 a good price for YSP-1100? My room is less than ideal since I don't have a rear wall but I would like to avoid having to run wires all over.
post #463 of 465 Old 04-02-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotillu View Post

Is ~$500 a good price for YSP-1100? My room is less than ideal since I don't have a rear wall but I would like to avoid having to run wires all over.

I paid 7-something about 5 months ago from an ebay store. There's a good place to check for the current going rate. I might even buy another one at $500...
post #464 of 465 Old 04-25-2008, 06:25 PM

Wow...that's alot of questions. I'll try to answer what I can based on my 3 weeks with my YSP 4000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Thinking of getting a YSP-400 and have several questions / concerns. Thanks in advance for your help.

1) I don't really have a wall to thr right of the setup. I have already read this could be an issue though it should still sound pretty good. Is this so?
That is my setup exactly. A wall to the left with 2 large windows and no wall to the right. I am using the auto setup and on a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being worst I'd rate it as a 4.
2) The room is FULL of windows. I will usually have the shades down when using it, but in general will it sound better with shades up or down and will either be significantly comprmised? At least glass is a reflective surface. I am worried the shades will absorb the sound rather than bounce it.
I don't have shades at all and it sounds fine to me. Disclaimer: I am not a huge audiophile.
3) Will the 2 HDMI inputs also accept the sound from HDMI? Assuming yes, this leads to several follow-up questions:

a) Is it HDMI 1.3 compatible for the purpose of pass-through, etc.

b) Will it pass-through the sound as well as the video? Yes

c) Do I get more possible sound inputs using the HDMI in concert with the other sources? In other words, can I have 2 HDMI plus all the other audio sources at the same time? Yes

4) Does it pass through signals when not turned on or in use? In other words, if I just wanted the TV speakers on low for whatever reason, will it pass-through the full HDMI signal and allow audio to the TV if I am not using the YSP for sound then? If you are using the soundbar for amplification, as I am, then the answer is no.

5) If no to #4, is it possible to get very low volumes that are still clear (i.e. the vocals aren't drowned out by the sound effects and music)? We sometimes watch with the volume low after the kids are asleep and if this becomes the primary audio source, it would be critical...
Yes. In fact, there is a setting for this type of listening.
Thanks.

post #465 of 465 Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 PM

My 8527 Espresso Avion, with KDF-50E3000 50" 1080p TV and Yamaha YSP soundbar.

By michanecash, shot with DSC-W55 at 2008-05-07

Remote Drawer

Ah, well, sir, I feel like a, like a slice of butter... melting on top of a big-ol' pile of flapjacks... yeah.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page