Yamaha YSP-1 "Digital Sound Projector" - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 465 Old 03-23-2005, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had a training on installing these yesterday. Very interesting piece. I have to say a perfect solution piece. It did do a great job of creating surround sound for what it is. like said earlier........its not something to take over your 7.1 system in the basement. But its great for a bedroom I think. A sub is an absolute must. It has no real bass at all. For the people wondering about a better version of this..........The yamaha rep we had specifically stated that this product is the start of a new product sku for yamaha............this is the low-end product of some other stuff that will be coming........yamaha is working on better versions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 465 Old 03-23-2005, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I just heard this system and posted my impressions in the amp/reciever section:

I just happened to be in an Ovation Audio store where a Yamaha rep was demoing a complete HT system that consisted seemingly of nothing more than a long center channel.

First of all I have an all Cary HT sound system already that retails for close to $20K so I wasn't prepared to be impressed with a pseudo 5.1 single speaker deal from Yamaha of all things. But everyone in the store was raving about it so I reluctantly sat in for a demo.

This IS a single speaker - but it has 24 individual drivers. And a nifty room setup software - and a built in amplifier. The software dials in the room dimensions and positions the drivers to bounce off side walls and the back walls resulting in amazingly coherent and immersive 5.1 sound. The discreet sounds coming from the sides and behind were every bit as convincing as if seperate speakers were used. And from every point in the 25X25 room the immersion was absolutely convincing - and just downright amazing.

The only pieces required in this setup was a CD player, optional subwoofer, and this $1500 yamaha piece.

Was this better than my to die for $20K Cary system? Well yes and no. Sonically it wasn't nearly as refined, but it WAS more immersive. Since my HT room is also the family room, I can't place my surrounds in optimal locations, so the sound isn't immersive with just any seat in the house.

I actually seriously considered selling my Cary HT setup, and going with the Yamaha for HT. Then of course getting a simpler pure 2 channel audio setup for another room - it was THAT good.

If my room weren't as difficult to place speakers in, this option wouldn't have been as tempting as the Cary sound is better, more refined, and would be equally as immersive if I had more freedom with speaker placement.

But this brings up a good point. If you do have a room where you can't get into walls, or setup as many speakers as you'd like located in optimal placement, this is YOUR system. I can't imagine better sound quality for 3 times the price considering the need to invest in speakers, amps or receivers, cabling, etc. Heck my cables almost cost as much as this entire system.

And for a second HT system, this thing would be brilliant since it can flush mount on the wall - right under a plasma or LCD flatscreen with amazingly liquid room filling sound.

I don't think I'd rave about this system as much for music, but for HT it's downright brilliant. One of the great audio innovations I've seen in a long time - both at sound quality performance for price, and in terms of an efficient simple solution for the otherwise very involved and complicated task of HT audio installation and setup.

I've heard other single speaker pseudo 5.1 setups before that were frankly nothing more than a worthless gimmick. This one delivers the good at an incredible price and by all rights should revolutionize the industry IMO.
post #93 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HTCrazy

This IS a single speaker - but it has 24 individual drivers. And a nifty room setup software - and a built in amplifier.

Actually, it has a whole pile of amplifiers - one for every driver in the box (If I remember correctly). The little tiny drivers use 6 watt amps, while the bigger midbass drivers use around 10 or 15 watt amps. In total, there's a buttload of power. Glad you got to experience what the rest of us have - it's a pretty nice piece of work.

Mike
post #94 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HTCrazy
I just heard this system and posted my impressions in the amp/reciever section:

HTCRAZY, thanks for this posting. I have been circling around this thing for a couple of weeks trying to decide what to do. I bought a house that came with pre-installed surround speakers. They are decent Klipsch in-ceiling speakers. My gripe(s) have been:
1) they are in-ceiling so I have very little to no opportunity to direct their sound. they do have a positionable tweeter horn but I don't really see much of a difference when I tweak them.
2) their positions are not balanced with the TV niche. The Niche is "right justified" on the wall while the main L/R speakers are in the corners of the ceiling. the result is that the right channel is probably where it should be but the left channel is about 7 feet off to the left of where it should be. The same problem exists for the rear channels. I really don't want to dig into the ceiling to try to re-wire the left channels so that they are more proportionally positioned.

When I read the reviews of the YSP-1, it really makes me wonder how it would sound compared with my current setup. I have an old Eosone center channel and Eosone sub-woofer. One of my major complaints has always been that voices are forever lost in the rest of the sound. This could be an issue with my receiver but I am convinced my center channel just sucks.

To make matters more interesting, I am right in the middle of designing the shelving for the media niche and have been stuck in a holding pattern for a few weeks trying to decide if I should design it for nice big expensive in-walls, less expensive book-shelfs or now this thing (all in an effort to resolve my dissatisfaction with my current speakers). I am leaning towards making the niche capable of housing both the YSP-1 and some decent book-shelves so I can defer the decision. I don't think I have the real-estate in the over-all area of the front of the niche to accomodate big in-walls.

Given your HT experience and your YSP-1 experience what would you recommend?
1) go with the YSP-1 and just use the existing Klipsh surrounds for music listening?
2) re-wire the position of the front left-channel and replace both front speakers with something that hangs down and gives more direct sound? (this could have a negative WAF considering the left speaker would be hanging out right in the middle)
3) opt for $$ in-walls

I guess I am trying to figure out how good the YSP-1 is. If I go with it, I solve so many other problems (new speakers, new locations, less $$ etc.)

Any advice?

thanks,

Mike

"Conan, What is best in life?"
"To crush the grains of your enemies! To see them mashed before you and to hear the fermentation of their yeast."
post #95 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 01:16 PM

I, too, am very interested in this unit. I am in an apartment, so drilling and running cables is next to impossible. Then there is the WAF. Admittedly, I do not have audiophile ears.

From what I can gather, the ysp-1:

#1) Is fantastic for HT
#2) Adequate, though not phenominal at music

I guess my question lies with #2- Is it good enough to give better than average stereo sound? Or does it sound like a tin can and I'd be sorely disappointed?
Of course I'd have a sub with it as well.

The room I would have it in is a very strange shape...Sort of a trapezoid with a cubist twist to it

-L
post #96 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

I read the CNET review and it mentioned that since it was powered, you could simply run this thing from a DVD player rather than a receiver.

For those who have already deployed one of these, are you using a receiver or just driving it from a DVD player. Also, does this unit do the sub crossover and provide a line-out for the sub?
post #97 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 01:45 PM

Nirvana:

I do know that there is a sub-output on the YSP-1. And yes, I know that it has 2 optical TOSLINK inputs... The setup I saw was HDMI for the video to the plasma, and optical to the YSP-1 for the audio.

-L
post #98 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 01:52 PM

I am a long time lurker with a quick question concerning this interesting piece of equipment: The manual states that the YSP-1 should not be placed on top of CRT television sets. This is a bit of a problem since I was thinking about putting it on top of a Sony 34XBR960. Does anyone know the ramifications of doing this? Or is Yamaha just being extra careful?

Thanks,
Andrew
post #99 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mhoyt

One of my major complaints has always been that voices are forever lost in the rest of the sound.

Boy, are you gonna love the Yammy, then. One of its strongest points is the dialog clarity. Should be night and day difference.

Nirvana, This unit REPLACES the receiver in a basic system. In other words, if you've only got 2 or 3 sources, plug them directly into this box and you're done - no other components are needed (aside from sub and TV monitor).

Mike
post #100 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Elrod
I am a long time lurker with a quick question concerning this interesting piece of equipment: The manual states that the YSP-1 should not be placed on top of CRT television sets. This is a bit of a problem since I was thinking about putting it on top of a Sony 34XBR960. Does anyone know the ramifications of doing this? Or is Yamaha just being extra careful?

Thanks,
Andrew

Good question - I am planning to do the same thing. I assume this device is video shielded and would not distort the picture. Any one know?

I was wondering about the stability of such a setup (I hear that the top of the xbr960 is 6 or 7 inches deep) - and the spec of the ysp indicate that it is 7.75 inches deep - depending on the center of gravity, I would assume it would be stable. If not - I think somewhere in the direct view forums there was a discussion of people placing a shelf on the top of their CRT's to hold center speakers.
post #101 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 04:32 PM

What do you do if you have more than 3 inputs for audio?

JHT
post #102 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jithtproject

Get a receiver... Seriously, this product is not designed as a replacement for a full blown theater system. It's directly aimed at the 'family room/master bedroom/small home theater in an apt.' type setup. Couple of sources, a sub, and a big screen TV and whammo...ya got a home theater. If you've got a bunch of sources, then plug these into a different receiver or pre/pro that has a digital out, which then goes to the Yammy, and you've got your bases covered. Atlernatively, you could supplement the Yammy with this:

http://www.simacorp.com/products/ite...092715f&id=339

Now you've added 4 more inputs, including digital, with a box that has a remote control so you can easily integrate it into your system. There.....done...

Mike
post #103 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Get a Audio Authority audio or audio&video switcher. They are inexpensive and good quality.

- JP in TOronto
post #104 of 465 Old 03-24-2005, 07:43 PM

quote:

http://www.simacorp.com/products/it...b092715f&id=339

I have a receiver but without digital out. So above I/O would be very useful.
Thanks.

JHT
post #105 of 465 Old 03-26-2005, 08:24 AM

Where can I listen or see one in NJ area?

JHT
post #106 of 465 Old 03-27-2005, 10:54 AM

On Yamaha website, Atlantic stereo & 6th Ave are listed as authorized dealers for YSP1 in NJ.

JHT
post #107 of 465 Old 03-27-2005, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

mhoyt & Lido - I find the sound of this somewhat bright without much in the way of midrage which makes it just fine for HT but not very good for music. IMO this is definitely NOT a music and HT solution. HOWEVER, you could easily have both with your main speakers (for your 2 channel setup) on the sides and Yamaha system in the center - looking very much like a traditional HT setup. Only your hairstylist would know for sure (well that is if you tend to tell your hairstylist about these kind of things).

mhoyt- All I can tell you is to find somewhere to hear one. As was mentioned already, dialog is very clear and the surround effect very immersive. Beyond that, it's a matter of personal taste, but after hearing it you'll know whether you want to ditch the other equipment and headaches for one or not. My guess is you'll make the decision to ditch.
post #108 of 465 Old 03-28-2005, 04:31 PM

Well, I broke down and got one. Goodguys in UTC (San Diego) had one in stock and another demo unit that they hadn't hooked up yet. The guy told me to come by around 2pm and he'd have it ready to hear. When I got there he had it hooked up under a random TV on a long shelf of about 30 TVs with no walls nearby. He didn't even have a digital audio source connected. :-) I talked him into moving it to one of the pseudo living room setups that they have. There were at least some walls in the vincinity and more importantly my wife and two daughters happen to be sitting in this setup watching/listening to "Muppets in Space".

When the guy connected it, my wife and both immediately noticed how much more clear the dialogue was. Even in the open air room with noise all around with no time spent with any of the settings, it sounded pretty damn good.

So I bought one.

Its definitely a keeper but it may be headed to my bedroom. My living room (home theater in disguise) adjoins our kitchen so there is no "right" wall to the listening room. I have tweaked the beam setup quite a bit and can't find a perfect setup yet. I notice that most of the surround sounds are very much from the left. I am sure this is because I am missing the right wall. As far as dialogue goes, it is orders of magnitude better than my exising receiver/center-channel performance. We are hearing so many subtle details that we could never hear before.

My plan is to continue to fiddle with it to try to compensate for my 3-sided room. If that doesn't work, I will likely move it to the bedroom and try to upscale my receiver and/or center channel speaker.

All in all I am very impressed with this thing. I will post again when and if I am able to dial it in for my room.

Mike

"To crush the grains of your enemies! To see them mashed before you and to hear the fermentation of their yeast."
post #109 of 465 Old 03-29-2005, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mike -

How "easy" is the configuration of the beams? Some reviews have suggested it isn't entirely well documented. I guess my concern is that I intend to also put it in an awkward set up (pics on the page 4 of this thread) - my problem is a corner placement, and a back wall that is mostly missing (to the kitchen). I am thinking I might be able to bounce the beams off the pantry that gives a bit of a surface to play with. I am just not sure if it will 1. work, or 2. be able to figure out how to configure the device. I guess I should just read the manual before I buy it. My local stores aren't stocking demo units yet (or weren't a week and a half ago).

How are you testing it, is it an ear test? If so, are there any scenes in particular dvds that people use?
post #110 of 465 Old 03-29-2005, 10:48 AM

Along with redecorating and new floors, I'm updating the A/V system in my great room. I was originally planning on updating an old Pioneer VSX-455 and Cambridge Soundworks HTIB with a new Pioneer or Panasonic digital receiver and Orb Audio Mod2 LCR and Mod1 surrounds w/subwoofer. However this poses a problem with wiring. With the new seating arrangement I will no longer be able to run surround wires under carpeting and setup the surrounds on stands without them being a safety issue (I have a 2.5 yr old.) Mounting to the ceiling was one option, but the room has vaulted ceilings that are 8' tall where they meet the exterior walls and rise to 12' at the roof peak. There is no crawl space in the ceiling and the ceiling joists run perpendicular to how I would need to run the surround cables. Running the wires in the ceiling would be either a. expensive or b. a DIY PITA. So that leaves running them to the ceiling in the interior wall the plasma will be on then across the ceiling in some sort of cable track.

OR...

It seems the YSP-1 would be exactly what I need. No surround wires, self-contained speaker set and receiver that should work for my A/V setup (ED Plasma, Prog DVD player/recorder, DirecTivo & Xbox) But as with nearly all recent construction the open space room is an odd shape at 20' W x 24' D with a roughly 7' square laundry room enclosure that cuts into the room making it a reverse "c" (see encl. pic for details.) I think I might be able to bounce the left surround off that enclosure, but the right hand side would be bouncing off a window that currently has curtains. I assume that will not provide the best reflective surface. The back wall of the listening area is 24' away from where the YSP would be projecting (over a bar height dining table) The surface will be flat however. So based on my lengthy description and the enclosed (but not to scale) drawing of the room, how likely is the YSP-1 to work properly?
LL
post #111 of 465 Old 03-29-2005, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
According to the Audioholics review, it should work. He used it in 3 beam mode.

Ericglo

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #112 of 465 Old 03-29-2005, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

mhoyt - congrats! I'll be interested to hear how it went in the room with only 3 walls.
post #113 of 465 Old 03-29-2005, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

quote:

http://www.simacorp.com/products/it...b092715f&id=339

I have a receiver but without digital out. So above I/O would be very useful.
Thanks.

You're quite welcome. I've used these a few times in various jobs and found them to be an absolutely stunning deal. Lotsa features for cheap money, and a remote to boot!

Mike
post #114 of 465 Old 03-29-2005, 04:56 PM

AZ_ST,

From the look of your room configuration, you will get surround sound, but with the lack of the back wall the rear channels will seem to be to the extreme left and right of the listening position. If this doesn't bother you, then go for it.
post #115 of 465 Old 03-29-2005, 05:38 PM

Thanks Rockhound. So your basically saying that the back wall is too far away to bounce the L and R surround back and make it sound like it is coming from behind the listener? Instead I would need to bounce it off the left and right walls, making the surrounds sound as if they are extreme right and left? Did I understand that right?

If so, I may just go through the hassle of wiring up speakers on the ceiling. I'd much rather have good separation of sounds and sound "bubble" around the listen area rather than it all coming from the front. Would moving my seating a little closer to the plasma make a difference? The reflected surround waves would still be coming from left and right but a bit behind the listening area. On my current setup, the rear surround speakers are facing each other on the left and right rather than facing toward the screen.
post #116 of 465 Old 03-29-2005, 07:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

AZ_ST -

You might want to buy a YSP from a B&M store with a good return policy and see if you can get it to work. I am thinking of this approach to address my back wall concern.

If you go the ceiling route - you might want to consider flat wire (or tape wire or something like that) - which I believe can be painted over. I thought about that when I was contemplating a ceiling install. Do a search in the audio forums, and I think a few hits will come up.
post #117 of 465 Old 03-29-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dc_pilgrim
Mike -

How "easy" is the configuration of the beams? Some reviews have suggested it isn't entirely well d....

How are you testing it, is it an ear test? If so, are there any scenes in particular dvds that people use?

dc_pilgrim,

The documentation is a bit lacking. There are a few things you modify like "image" which I am not sure I completely understand. The manual does walk you through all of the individual twiddles you can do but it doesn't really tell you why you might want to change something.

I am using the ear test method. Its actually quite wild. You can literally hear the channel move as you adjust the beam angle. I was using the original Lord of the Rings but that choice was pretty random. The dialogue clarity is so much better than my previous center channel spearker. In one scene Gandalf is puffing on his pipe. You can hear the sound his mouth makes as he puffs. To me its almost like High Definition dialogue!

post #118 of 465 Old 03-30-2005, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Mike that was helpful - I read the manual (or the UK version maybe, damn metric system) that some one posted a link to, it looks like the starting point programing looks kind of decent. I am expecting to come in to a little extra cash next week, and should pick one up soon.
post #119 of 465 Old 03-30-2005, 12:58 PM

I was able to test one at home for a weekend and was very impressed with everything it did. I was skeptical initially, especially as my room was larger than the recommended room dimensions on the manual. The surround effect was very good and consistent as I moved around the room. I only used the easy set up mode and did not explore the advanced; the easy set up seemed to do the trick. Engaging the test tone impresses with the discreteness of the effects channels and really sounds like there's a definite sound source behind and beside you.
I tried it both in my theatre and in my two channel room and found that the overall timbre and tone seemed to be influenced by the subwoofer it was mated with. When used with a popular midfi sub, I could say the sound was a bit coloured but when used with a fairly expensive sub, I found the tones and timbres to be startlingly pure similar to the way electrostatic speakers can have a certain purity to the sound.
The five beam mode combined with either ProLogicII Music or Neo6 was quite a pleasure to listen to for stereo sources. The soundstage that created was a treat. I did not like the 'Stereo' mode though.
I found it would play loud enough to satisfy most folks but did get bright and buzzy if pushed further. Is that digital clipping?

The Audioshop
post #120 of 465 Old 04-02-2005, 10:49 PM

Marc - which (more expensive) subwoofer did you use with the YSP-1 to make stereo music sound good?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page