Yamaha YSP-1 "Digital Sound Projector" - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 465 Old 10-20-2005, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to add additional speakers to the YSP-1. I want to install some outdoor speakers. Since this unit replaces the need for a receiver. How do I go about doing this.

Is there additional inputs for doing so. Bottom line is I want to pump the sound from my satellite outside.

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 465 Old 10-20-2005, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's not designed for this use, but a simple work around is to add a really low cost 2 channel rec to your system and run the R&L analog outputs of your sources to that (remember, the YSP-1 only needs the digital audio outs).
Here's an example of a super little rec for the job that's under $100: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...cs&dcaid=17194

Mike
post #183 of 465 Old 10-20-2005, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M NEWMAN View Post

It's not designed for this use, but a simple work around is to add a really low cost 2 channel rec to your system and run the R&L analog outputs of your sources to that (remember, the YSP-1 only needs the digital audio outs).

So to make sure I understand this correctly, I take the analog outs from my DVD player and run it to the 2nd receiver. Same thing with my satellite box. Same thing with my cd player. Same thing with my tv, etc...

I haven't checked it out yet on my system, but I assume these analog outs are not already dedicated (can you tell I'm a newbie at this ). From your post, I am guessing the answer should be no, since the only the digital audios are connected to the YSP-1.
post #184 of 465 Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by litig8 View Post

So to make sure I understand this correctly, I take the analog outs from my DVD player and run it to the 2nd receiver. Same thing with my satellite box. Same thing with my cd player. Same thing with my tv, etc...

I haven't checked it out yet on my system, but I assume these analog outs are not already dedicated (can you tell I'm a newbie at this ). From your post, I am guessing the answer should be no, since the only the digital audios are connected to the YSP-1.

Yep...you got it.

Mike
post #185 of 465 Old 10-21-2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M NEWMAN View Post

Yep...you got it.

Great! I'll check it out. Hopefully, it's as easy and straightforward as you make it sound.
post #186 of 465 Old 10-23-2005, 09:26 PM

any news on the YSP-1000 release in the US? It was supposed to be in October. I know it is being sold in the UK

thx
post #187 of 465 Old 11-21-2005, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:

any news on the YSP-1000 release in the US? It was supposed to be in October. I know it is being sold in the UK

thx

Amazon has it. So do some other on-line merchants. I was in a Tweeter today, and they don't have it yet at the store I was in.
post #188 of 465 Old 11-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

anybody know the diff between the ysp-800 and the ysp-1000? I dont see anything worth such a big price diff.
post #189 of 465 Old 11-23-2005, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
23 speakers vs 42 speakers in the ysp-1000. i would pick the ysp-1000 just because it will sound better
post #190 of 465 Old 11-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post

23 speakers vs 42 speakers in the ysp-1000. i would pick the ysp-1000 just because it will sound better

Yea sorry, I just found a comparison chart on yamaha.com. About a $500 difference (on ebay), thats a deal breaker for me unfortunatly. Im in a apartment, dont plan on playing it that loud anyway.
post #191 of 465 Old 11-27-2005, 10:17 AM

I saw this issue mentioned in some of the posts, but could not find a definitive answer as to whether I can keep all my components connected to my exisiting receiver (Denon 3805), and then just use a optical out connection from the receiver to the YSP-1? I would much rather use my existing receiver as a "hub" for all my connections if possible. Assuming I can connect the YSP-1 to my receiver, can I still use the Denon's auto set-up for speaker arrangements, or will that mess things up for the YSP-1? Thanks in advance for any information.

Robert D Goldstein
post #192 of 465 Old 11-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
You can certainly keep all of your components connected to the receiver and feed a single connection to the YSP-1. I have components feeding into an external switch instead of a receiver, but same thing. I don't know anything about the Denon speaker setup, sorry.
post #193 of 465 Old 11-29-2005, 12:32 PM

I am *not* an audiophile but am slowly improving my AV setup. Since I live in a studio apartment (I can't yet put in a hotlink, but if you go to theparamountsf com, then "Floor Plans," the first "Corner Alcove Studio" is my floorplan) the YSPs caught my eye.

In my apartment the TV on a stand is just "above" the windowsill area (the white rectangle with the dark square on the right) on the "bottom" of the living room, with the sofa about where the words "LIVING/DINING ROOM" and room dimensions are. I'm a little concerned about the YSPs' effectiveness because including the "SLEEPING ALCOVE" the room is 28' long.

Also, my TV is currently a 27" CRT (like I said, slowly improving), but I hope to eventually get a 32" or even 37" flat panel (nothing larger given how cramped things are already). When that happens I *may* place it to the "left" side of the living room, with the sofa on the "right," but I may just put it where the current TV is. For my current and potential future setups, would the YSP-800's 21 speakers provide a noticeable difference versus the 1000's 42 speakers?
post #194 of 465 Old 11-29-2005, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

there is no way you can use the ysp's in this set up to get the best sound you have to have a perfect square or rectangle and the speaker has to almost dead center between left and right walls. the maximum room depth is 21 feet and even at that i bet it would sound bad. you pretty much have to build a room around this speaker you cant just put it anywhere i guess you can start looking for home theater packages now

you can have a maximum length of 40ft but it won't sound normal past 21 feet
post #195 of 465 Old 11-29-2005, 05:59 PM

I have my whole home theater setup in a 5 foot wide "cubby" space with very short walls on each side in an otherwise open room. My listening area faces the cubby 12 feet away and is against a back wall. The problem is that the wall on the left side of this "cubby" is only about 1 foot deep. If I place the YSP-1 dircetly under my plasma, there would only be about 6 inches of wall for the side beam to bounce off of. Is that sufficient? I guess my set-up would require the side beam to be transmitted at almost a 90 degree angle. Can anyone tell me if this will work? Thanks.

Robert D Goldstein
post #196 of 465 Old 12-25-2005, 11:48 AM
DNW

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post

Has anyone purchased the YSP-1000? I am looking to use it in my living room (NOT my primary home theatre) where I just purchased a 32" LCD set. Although I am going to do only incidental TV watching in my living room, I would prefer to have something better than genuine TV sound. I saw the YSP-1 at Home Theatre 2005 in NYC last summer, and was very impressed. Anyone?
post #197 of 465 Old 12-25-2005, 11:19 PM

I have the YSP-1000 that I put in a room with a second TV for Video games and stuff. Pretty cool if you ask me. I can't compare it to the YSP-1, but I heard there were a couple of improvements including component switching.
post #198 of 465 Old 01-05-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNW View Post

Has anyone purchased the YSP-1000? I am looking to use it in my living room (NOT my primary home theatre) where I just purchased a 32" LCD set. Although I am going to do only incidental TV watching in my living room, I would prefer to have something better than genuine TV sound. I saw the YSP-1 at Home Theatre 2005 in NYC last summer, and was very impressed. Anyone?

I have the YSP-1000 and to my knowledge teh only difference between it and teh YSP-1 is the microphone and its auto-calibration feature (so you don't have to manually set it up).
post #199 of 465 Old 01-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know if this has been brought up in this long thread but the YSP-1 is not shielded. We ran into that problem on our first job. Yes it usually goes under a plasma or LCD but I've had a few people with CRT's that have wanted one but no go.

A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.
post #200 of 465 Old 01-10-2006, 09:39 AM

I posted this initial review of mine for my newly purchased YSP-1000 in the audioholics forum but thought it would be appreciated here as well so I have copied and pasted it below:

Well I was finally able to play around with my YSP-1000 this weekend. I compared the performance of the YSP-1000 with my RCA audio receiver with accompanying 5.1 satellite speakers with various video games and also several DVD movies with directional sound effects. I would play a particular scene from a movie over and over with outputting the sound through the satellite speakers and then play the scene again through the YSP-1000 and compared the performance. I did the same thing with some video games with positional sound sources. The included auto-calibration microphone included with the YSP-1000 is well worth it and only takes about 3-mintes to calibrate itself to your particular listening environment. I rearranged my living room a couple of times to find the best position for my TV/YSP-1000 and compared its performance (I have wood floors so it relatively easy to slide furniture around). As narrow as the YSP-1000 is, It balances very well and is pretty darn stable just sitting on top of the narrow ledge of my Samsung HL-R6168W. I did however, secure it down better than by just relying on gravity to hold it there. I went out and bought those little double-sided foam tape things that they sell these daysthe ones that can be removed by pulling on the little flap that stretches the material until it pops loose..I put one of those at each corner where it sits directly on top of the TV and I can now shake the TV and the YSP-1000 stands firm. The plastic and foam Velcro fasteners that are provided with the YSP-1000 are too unstable.they allow the unit to rock back and forth too much because of the compressible nature of the foam under the plastic pegs. The double-sided foam tape is less compressible and provides a much more solid and stable surface.

Here is my take:

It is not quite' as good as my satellite 5.1 speaker system in producing the rear channel sounds. I did quite a bit of experimentation with different video games and DVD's and although the YSP-1000 does a pretty good job of synthesizing sound from behind you, you can still also hear the sound also coming from the front and/or side of the room as well. When comparing this to my satellite rear speakers, the rear sounds come only from the rear. Now in a movie experience watching a DVD this makes little difference, however, if you want true, accurate positional sound in a video game, and not be wonderingwait, did that footstep come from the side of me or behind me? then a satellite 5.1 speaker system is the way to go. However, I am sort-of splitting hairs here, and the YSP-1000 does do a good job of it, just not a perfect job of it.

The front left and right channels are separated very well however, and I can tell little if any difference between the YSP-1000 and my satellite speaker system in the surround effects across the front right to left.

All in all, I am impressed with the YSP-1000. For me, it does a good enough job that I have decided to keep the YSP-1000 (even for gaming) and have already taken down my satellite system. Besides, the YSP-1000 is just plain cool ; and versatile as well. The slight' loss in accurate positional sound from the rear channels for gaming is not a big enough deal to outweigh the fact that I now have a neater, cooler looking home theatre/gaming environment in my living room without all the speaker cables running everywhere. And the versatility of it is great with its target mode where you can aim the sound in a particular directionwhich is great for me when I'm working out on my Bowflex or Treadmill in an adjacent room I can just aim the sound directly at me. With my satellite system I used to just crank the volume way up in order to hear dialog and such over the noise generated by running on the treadmill, and the fan I have blowing on me to cool me off. Now I won't have to crank the volume as high, but rather just more effectively aim the sound directly at me instead of thumping the whole house. Plus, now anytime I want to rearrange the room its as easy as just running the 3-minute auto-calibration routine in the new configuration (instead of having to run speaker cables all around in a new configuration).

I have only played around with it this past weekend so far. I am quite pleased with at this point and I suspect that I will like it even more the more I use it. The only way you can tell that its not quite' as good as a satellite system (for rear channels) is if you have the two system both set up, side by side, and objectively compared the two against one another as I did. If you don't already have a 5.1 satellite speaker system then chances are you would be very impressed with this YSP-1000. Also, I may learn over time that I can manipulate and tweak the performance manually to be even better than what the auto-calibration has provided..I guess I'll see..
post #201 of 465 Old 01-10-2006, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the detailed review BridgeBoy! Am considering this unit as well.

Anyone know if Yamaha demo'ed an even later version @ CES 2006??
post #202 of 465 Old 01-10-2006, 10:23 AM

Yamaha demo'd the YSP1000 at CES 2006. They had the other YSP systems for show - but only the 1000 was used in the demo. Very impressive (as Demos are designed to be).

Darryl
post #203 of 465 Old 01-10-2006, 11:07 AM

Just how versatile is this system for directing sound beams around the room? Right now I have my home theater equipment set up in a small room with an Infocus X1 Front Projector, and 5.1 satellite speakers. Since the projector and dvd player are both sitting beside me (in between two recliners), the YSP would ideally sit on top of the dvd player, and therefore would not be facing the viewers. Despite facing the "wrong way" can the sound beams be manipulated to produce 5.1 sound in the correct areas of the room? The room is 8 feet wide by 10 feet long and rectangular. I'm by no means a stickler for perfect audio, but obviously don't want the entire sound field to be reversed. The sound is good right now with the setup I have but because of the portable nature of the X1 I like to be able to move "the show" out to the living room/friends' places etc., and it is such a pain messing with all the speaker wire/receiver connections when moving the audio along. The YSP just looks like such an elegant, low hassle solution to me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #204 of 465 Old 01-10-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

you must have the ysp 6.5ft away from the seating area, and you should put it under where your screen is. 8by10 ft is ok as long as the ysp is centered in the room.
post #205 of 465 Old 01-10-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Just how versatile is this system for directing sound beams around the room? Right now I have my home theater equipment set up in a small room with an Infocus X1 Front Projector, and 5.1 satellite speakers. Since the projector and dvd player are both sitting beside me (in between two recliners), the YSP would ideally sit on top of the dvd player, and therefore would not be facing the viewers. Despite facing the "wrong way" can the sound beams be manipulated to produce 5.1 sound in the correct areas of the room? The room is 8 feet wide by 10 feet long and rectangular. I'm by no means a stickler for perfect audio, but obviously don't want the entire sound field to be reversed. The sound is good right now with the setup I have but because of the portable nature of the X1 I like to be able to move "the show" out to the living room/friends' places etc., and it is such a pain messing with all the speaker wire/receiver connections when moving the audio along. The YSP just looks like such an elegant, low hassle solution to me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I agree 100% that the YSP-1000 is exactly what you describe above in your sentence that I have bolded. According to the instructions, however, the listening position needs to be a minimum of 2-meters in front of the unit (for 5.1 surround sound). Like someone else mentioned above, just put the YSP-1000 right against the wall you are projecting your image onto, or above or under the screen you are projecting onto. They also sell a separate optional mount for mounting the unit onto a wall. Especially in a perfectly rectangular room as you are describing, I'd imagine you could get even better results for simulated rear channels than I am experiencing in my somewhat more complex listening environment.

Now for target mode, however, you direct all the sound in a straight line anywhere within a 180-degree arc in front of the unit.
post #206 of 465 Old 01-10-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgeboy View Post

Now for target mode, however, you direct all the sound in a straight line anywhere within a 180-degree arc in front of the unit.

Surround capabilities in target mode, now that would be cool!
post #207 of 465 Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I figured it would be too much to hope for to have surround simulated with the YSP beside me, but figured I'd check. Just wanted to avoid having to run any cable at all from one side of the room to the other. With the speaker beneath the screen I either need to run audio cable from the DVD player to the YSP, or alternatively I could have the DVD player paired with the speaker, and run video cable back to the projector. Still much easier/nicer than speaker wire all over the room though
post #208 of 465 Old 01-15-2006, 04:36 PM

I have a space that is 40 5/8" wide and want to put up a flat screen television. I've done some research and think the Sony XBR 40" LCD might be the best option for the space. It is pretty pricey and doesn't leave any financial room for audio enhancements. I was considering buying an LCD or plasma display (without speakers) and adding the Yamaha YSP-800 system. I saw the YSP at CES and found it quite impressive but they don't sell them in any store here in Indy and I don't know anybody who has one. My goal with a system is easy to use with my DVD and Dish Network receiver. I want my wife and kids to be able to watch TV without worrying about the remote and components getting out of sync.

Any comments on the YSP?

How do you control it? More specifically do you have to switch the input on the TV AND the YSP when switching sources?

Recommendations on displays that will fit my space?

Do you think the Sony is a better option?

Any other ideas?

Also, I need a mount that will allow the TV to swivel right to left on a vertical access. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
bfrank
post #209 of 465 Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank View Post

How do you control it? More specifically do you have to switch the input on the TV AND the YSP when switching sources?

You can get the YSP-800 manual here:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/m...-800_e(UB).pdf

If you hook up multiple separate inputs to both the TV and the YSP, then yes you'll have to switch sources on both. A programmable remote is one way to automate that. If your TV has an audio out that you can feed to the YSP, then you can avoid it, but if you have digital/multi-channel audio in, you'd want to make sure the TV's audio out is also digital/multi-channel capable.
post #210 of 465 Old 02-07-2006, 09:24 PM

There is a new review on CNet for the YSP-800. They actually like it better than the YSP-1. You're going to have to go to CNet and do a search, because the message board here won't let me post a URL hyperlink until I cut my teeth beyond 5 posts.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page