Recomendations for STEREO speakers wanted, powerfull ones - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in need of some really good powerfull stereo speakers for music only. They need to able to handle a lot of wattage as I am using a Pioneer 1280 (185+ watts per channel). I'm not looking to spend a fortune but if anyone can direct me in the right direction or any good advice please let me know. So many speakers seem to be catered to home theater now. Thanks in advance. Oh, one last thing. I am assuming floor speakers but if there are any book shelf speakers that can actually do the job let me know. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Well you could go to Audiogon and get Soliloquy 6.3s for cheap now. They will easily handle your 185 solid state watts and are powerful.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

$3200 isn't cheap enough for me. I'm looking at $1000 or less. Thanks.
post #4 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 11:37 AM

Athena AS-F2s could fit the bill. They handle 250 watts, which could be too little for you, but the price is right. I have a set and I like them.

Mike
post #5 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Are they eq'd good? I mean they aren't to bassy or over eqd. DO they produce a good natural sound? Thanks.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 11:52 AM

They sound good to me, although my ears are pretty uneducated compared to many here. I've heard people mention that the cabinets might not have enough internal bracing, and therefore colour the sound a bit. Not something that bothers me, personally, but if you have a very critical ear, it could be a problem. They're not overly bassy, and the frequency response is supposed to be fairly flat, I believe. Also, they go down to 35 hz, so you can get some pretty decent bass out of them. I've heard several people say that for the price, they are hard to beat, and I agree. Give them a listen, and decide for yourself.

Another thought might be Cerwin Vega. They're supposed to be high power and very loud, but I know very little about them, including price.

Mike
post #7 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally posted by Lost It All
Thanks. Are they eq'd good? I mean they aren't to bassy or over eqd. DO they produce a good natural sound? Thanks.
They are passive speakers so they are not EQ-ed at all. You need to hear any speakers before paying for them and not take anyone else's opinion as the absolute truth.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

hmm, I wonder about your requirement for handling a lot of power. Is this because you want very high volumes, or that you like he way your amp sounds with it all the way open?

My curiousity about this is because you maybe miss the real issue: How much of your amps power that is needed is based on the impedance and sensitivity of the speaker. You might be just as pleased with some Klipsche at 91+ sensitivity and never turn your dial past midway...

Rgds,
Curtis
post #9 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I like to keep the option open when I want high volumes and I'm also woried about any accident killing speakers that can't handle the wattage.

I've had speakers I've liked for a long time so I am very out of touch with todays speakers. So many just talk about "home theater". Any partuicular Klipsche speakers your recomending or just the brand? Thanks.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 PM

If horns are your thing a set of Klipsch rf7's will do the trick

"We base all our experiments on the capacity of mankind for self-government." James Madison
post #11 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 07:20 PM

Depends on your musical tastes, but my short list of lines to audition with a grand in my pocket would be (in no particular order) Totem, Audio Psychic, Definitive Technology, Paradigm, Atlantic Technolgy, and Magnepans (with $$$ left over for a small sub, depending on musical tastes.) Maggies soak up power like a sponge, BTW. Oh yeah, B&W. Start with the B&W 704 ($1100) and move up and down the line using the same CD track or three. You'll LOVE it, I'm sure. Also, Vandersteen - nice bargains to be had there.

The problem is it's hard to find a vendor with several lines in the same price range, so you may have some wheel work (aka driving) in your near future.

- T

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.
post #12 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 10:19 PM

Klipsch is going to be the best choice for your requirements. They do have a distinctive sound that some don't care for.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
I like to keep the option open when I want high volumes and I'm also woried about any accident killing speakers that can't handle the wattage.
Very RARELY is a speaker "KILLED" by over powering it. You blow drivers in speakers more times than not by UNDER POWERING the speaker and when the amp "CLIPS" or doesn't have the power to reproduce the signal correctly, it blows the driver. The advantage of having higher wattage amps, is their ability to handle more dynamics without straining or clipping.

Besides, if you ever have your amp turned up loud enough to actually produce 185 watts of sustained power (other than transient peaks like a gun shot or an explosion), your ears will be bleeding and windows will be shattering all over your house.

John W.
Indy
post #14 of 30 Old 03-31-2005, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grond
Klipsch is going to be the best choice for your requirements. They do have a distinctive sound that some don't care for.
That's not necessarily true at all. There are MANY speakers that have a pretty high efficiency rating (88 dB to 89 dB +) that would serve him well. I run my AUDES Blues rated at: 4 ohms, 90 dB sensitivity, 130 watts sustained and 200 peak power with an amp that is rated at 350 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

All that means is, my amp NEVER has to work hard at all to drive my speakers, runs very cool and never breaks a sweat on even the most complex musical passages or multiple explosions (like the D-Day landing in Saving Private Ryan), with ease. Remember, POWER isn't all about volume.

Granted, Horns are traditionally more efficient than cones, but that doesn't make them the "best." Besides, horns are pretty "bright" and that sound isn't for everyone.

The BEST thing that Lost It All can do is listen to speakers for himself and decide which HE likes best. Having 185 watts of power to drive them should NOT affect which speakers he buys. Unless of course, it is some of the "Planer" type speakers that soak up power like a sponge.... in which case, he will most DEFINITELY not have enough power.

John W.
Indy
post #15 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 03:26 AM

Quote:
$3200 isn't cheap enough for me. I'm looking at $1000 or less. Thanks.
I built some Hotrod Maggies for <$1000. May not be an option though.

They definently like/need to be cranked up.

http://webpages.charter.net/westrock/maggimod/side.jpg
post #16 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Well.. Anyway, my whole point was that I fear you are looking for the wrong parameter to base you speaker purchase on. You may miss out on an lot of great sounding speakers fearing that you might destroy them (which is most likley NOT the case - clipping is much more likely to cause damage so a less efficient speaker than you have cranked to "10" will be in MUCH more danger of damage even though you have acceptable power ratings on it's datasheet...)

Go for good sound. JBL would not make my list of speakers... You might love them though...

Rgds,
Curtis
post #17 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I can't believe I always have to be the one to remind people about the NHT ST4s. Deep bass, great power handling, beautiful mid/treble, extraordinary looks, <$1000.

John
post #18 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. To cwb4tx, you said JBL would not be on your list of speakers, but didn't say why? Just curious.
post #19 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I use SPL Runrts.

They are mionitor sized.

I have pushed the to over 120 db. MY L and R Runts are powered with 725W each and the center 2400W.

They use a horn (compression driver) for the highs and 2 beefy 8" woofers for the low end.

Check out www.servodrive.com and click on SPL Runts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #20 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alimentall
I can't believe I always have to be the one to remind people about the NHT ST4s. Deep bass, great power handling, beautiful mid/treble, extraordinary looks, <$1000.
I sell the NHT St4. It is priced the same as our B&W 603's @ $1000. They are both hot sellers, and are a good value speaker (IMHO). I don't think that it is a matter of opinion that the NHT's have more bass presents than a lot of speakers at their price point. If you enjoy loud deep bass, they have it.

However - they are not efficient. In fact some of the most inefficient speakers I know of, 86 db sensativity. If that doesn't make sense, it means they like gobs of power, like maggies and logans. So if you get NHT's don't plan on running them on anything less than a Rotel, Parasound, Adcom, etc.

Anything you can do, I can do anything better! I can do anything better than you!
(just kidding)
post #21 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jasontkennedy
I sell the NHT St4. However - they are not efficient. In fact some of the most inefficient speakers I know of, 86 db sensativity. If that doesn't make sense, it means they like gobs of power, like maggies and logans.
Quote:
They need to able to handle a lot of wattage as I am using a Pioneer 1280 (185+ watts per channel).

John
post #22 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quadriverfalls
That's not necessarily true at all. There are MANY speakers that have a pretty high efficiency rating (88 dB to 89 dB +) that would serve him well. I run my AUDES Blues rated at: 4 ohms, 90 dB sensitivity, 130 watts sustained and 200 peak power with an amp that is rated at 350 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

All that means is, my amp NEVER has to work hard at all to drive my speakers, runs very cool and never breaks a sweat on even the most complex musical passages or multiple explosions (like the D-Day landing in Saving Private Ryan), with ease. Remember, POWER isn't all about volume.

Granted, Horns are traditionally more efficient than cones, but that doesn't make them the "best." Besides, horns are pretty "bright" and that sound isn't for everyone.

The BEST thing that Lost It All can do is listen to speakers for himself and decide which HE likes best. Having 185 watts of power to drive them should NOT affect which speakers he buys. Unless of course, it is some of the "Planer" type speakers that soak up power like a sponge.... in which case, he will most DEFINITELY not have enough power.
True, the more overhead your poweramp has - the less it has to work to drive your speakers. For example if you speaker is rated at 100w power handling, it does not mean that a 100w amp is the best match. A much more powerful amp would have less work to do, and depending on circuit design, should sound better at higher levels; and also sound better at lower levels w/ increased dynamics.

That said, a speaker's sensativity is also important. Something inevitable that I encounter in sales is the customer seeking 100 watts. "I want 100 watts, gimme 100 watts, unnghhh!!!" Then they usually beat their chest and start dragging their woman around by the hair (caveman style). Well, I can sell them that 100 watter and then they could go home and hook it up to a pair of maggies. The result would be WAY underpowered speakers. Conversely I could send them home w/ a pair of Klipsch RF7's and w/ that same 100 watts - their ears would be bleeding, from a mile away.

So, ultimately, there really isn't a measurable parameter that will tell you which speaker to buy. Just make sure when selecting a speaker that the electronics you are using are appropriate (if you aren't sure ask). The only real way to decide is to go and listen. BRING YOUR CD's WITH YOU. (most customers leave CD's at home, and it frustrates them to death). Make sure if you are considering Klipsch (or any horn) that you listen for more than 15 minutes - as these sort of speakers can have an immediate appeal that could become nerve racking after listening a while. Others LOVE them.

Some <$1000 speakers I would recommend

Boston VRM-80
Paradigm
B&W 603's
NHT st-4

Whatever you do, try to support your local stereo shop. (imho)

Anything you can do, I can do anything better! I can do anything better than you!
(just kidding)
post #23 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Umm.... if I remember correctly the RF7's sensitivity is around 100db, I am personally not a fan of Klipsch but some people LOVE them!

"We base all our experiments on the capacity of mankind for self-government." James Madison
post #24 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

NS-777 speakers are slick looking and sound great to me and can be had for about $600 a pair

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #25 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. To cwb4tx, you said JBL would not be on your list of speakers, but didn't say why? Just curious.
MY review of this brand is outdated. But all my friends who used to have these seemed to have spekers that could thump. really belt out whatever you put into them, but never did I feel like there was any magic. No thoughts of soundstage recreated, instruments seperated, attack being 'fast, clarity making me wonder if I could be fooled into speakers not being there. They just didn't make me think of speakers as something more than a soud source for recorded music (of course that is what a spekaer is, but..)

Summary, they just seemed too average. Nothig special...

Lots and lots of (IMHO) better speakers on the market, which ones are right for you depend on your tastes, but these seemed to just get the job done with no real treat...

Rgds,
Curtis
post #26 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnmacdyn
Umm.... if I remember correctly the RF7's sensitivity is around 100db, I am personally not a fan of Klipsch but some people LOVE them!
Umm..... did you READ my post??? I said.... Granted, Horns are traditionally more efficient than cones, but that doesn't make them the "best." Besides, horns are pretty "bright" and that sound isn't for everyone.

Which are all very true statements.

:rolleyes:

John W.
Indy
post #27 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Umm..... did you READ my post??? I said.... Granted, Horns are traditionally more efficient than cones, but that doesn't make them the "best." Besides, horns are pretty "bright" and that sound isn't for everyone.

Which are all very true statements.

:rolleyes:
Ok, settle down. Iam not about to get into one of those pissing contests when in the end we are tying to make the same point.
Horns me no likey
Horns more efficient
Cones me likey
Cones Less efficent
Blah Blah Blah.....

post #28 of 30 Old 04-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

I like potatoes. I think they are the BEST! :) ;)

Rgds,
Curtis
post #29 of 30 Old 04-02-2005, 01:12 AM

:p

Petition to bring power ranger season 1 to dvd box set
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/prseasonset

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!
post #30 of 30 Old 04-02-2005, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

hi,
can you stretch your budget a bit for these?

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...o_Epic80a.html

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...om_epic_80.htm

I'm referring to the M80 Ti
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page