Totems vs. Monitor Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-06-2005, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to put together a budget 2ch music system. I've listened to a few bookshelf speakers. I'm not actually limited to bookshelves but they seem to fit the price range better. Anyway, didn't like any of the paradigms I've heard. I can see how they'd be good for the HT but the music didn't impress me. The ones I liked where:

Totem Dreamcatcher and Monitor Audio B2 & S1. Totmes sounded much better with some records but not as good with the others. Monitor Audio seemed more consistent. I liked S1 more than B2.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Can't listento them side by side since two different stores have them. Can anyone comment, please? I realize it's likely to get me more confused but still would like to hear some opinions. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-06-2005, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Just my opinion....

The Totems sounded better on some and worse on others because they are more accurate - probably hearing more of the differences in good and bad recordings. The Monitors tend to impart their own sound on everything - more consistent maybe but not more accurate. IF you like what the Monitors impart on the sound, maybe that's the way to go for you.

Just understand that there are a LOT more variables going on in 2 different rooms/systems than just the speakers.

My PERSONAL OPINION would be the Totems hands down. Without a doubt one of the best bargains out there for a 5.1 setup for the price. Now that said, I also like the Paradigms for the money which you don't seem to care for. May I ask what is was about them that you didn't like?

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #3 of 15 Old 04-06-2005, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm partial to the Totems also, they are really jewels in the speaker business. They can sound a bit constrained if you don't have the juice to drive them, so make sure you have a good amp.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #4 of 15 Old 04-06-2005, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Aren't the dreamcatcher sats 4 ohms? What would be a good reciever to mate to these?
post #5 of 15 Old 04-06-2005, 04:44 PM

I would go with the Monitor Audio if you are a music lover. They have a really nice stage presence and a warm sound.

The S1's are a 5 1/4" woofer while the B2's are 6 1/2" so you'll get lower frequency response on the B2's, though the S1's will probably be slightly more accurate within it's own range.

I'm sure the Totem's are fine too; the best thing to do is keep auditioning with the material that you really do listen to all the time. Take your time.
This is a purchase you are going to keep for many years.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-06-2005, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KRiS1
Aren't the dreamcatcher sats 4 ohms? What would be a good reciever to mate to these?
Before I bought my Dreamcatcher system, I asked the guys at totem that same question. They said, first, that the speakers will run very well at 8 ohms and that the 4 ohm rating is only for peak output. I asked about a few recievers and they said that any decent, modern receiver will power them without a problem.

I run a yamaha 1500 and really enjoy the sound. I have also heard them with a cambridge azur 540(??) and they were great with that too.

Cheers,

Jay
post #7 of 15 Old 04-06-2005, 10:20 PM

double post...
post #8 of 15 Old 04-07-2005, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bpape
Just my opinion....

The Totems sounded better on some and worse on others because they are more accurate - probably hearing more of the differences in good and bad
I guess it is possible but the thing is: they sounded very good with the salesperson's record and but not as good with my own records. Which I heard many times over on different systems. So I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Just understand that there are a LOT more variables going on in 2 different rooms/systems than just the speakers.
They used NAD 320 to drive them so I suppose they might sound better with better receivers but that's the one I'm actually planning to buy

Quote:
I also like the Paradigms for the money which you don't seem to care for. May I ask what is was about them that you didn't like?
I personally like the level of details they provided. However, I'm buying the system for my father. He used to be a musician and is very particular about his tastes. He didn't like them too much. He tried to explain it to me but didn't succeed. The best I could understand was the music didn't sound lively. However, I do see it being less of a problem in HT setup. On the other hand, he absolutely loves the music on my infinity overture 3s even though I think they're not that great for HT.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-07-2005, 09:04 AM

For 2 channel Id probably go with a set of the S1's. I compared them (the silver & beonze MA's) against the B&W 6 series and Paradaigm Studio series bookshelves and Energy Veritas. I liked the S1's the best. Soon you might be able to get a great deal as they are set to be replaced by the Silver RS series in June.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-07-2005, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For 2 channel Id probably go with a set of the S1's. I compared them (the silver & beonze MA's) against the B&W 6 series and Paradaigm Studio series bookshelves and Energy Veritas. I liked the S1's the best. Soon you might be able to get a great deal as they are set to be replaced by the Silver RS series in June.
Actually, I think I found a good deal. I can get slightly used S6 for the price cheaper than S1 at the store. Very tempting.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-07-2005, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

How old is your father? It is possible that his high frequency hearing has taken a hit (as it has for many of us!) over the years and he is preferring the slightly exaggerated highs of the Monitors. If that's what he likes, then that's what he should get.

GIK Acoustics

post #12 of 15 Old 04-07-2005, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

He's tuning 60 and his hearing seems fine. And, anyway, when it came to paradigms, he didn't dislike a particular frequency but a total harmonic response, if you can call it that. He did like totems though and as far as the differences between totems and monitors, I've heard the same things and I don't really consider myself an audiophile.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-16-2005, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Well now that Ive heard the Totems, I can see your dilemma. I heard the dremacatchers in 2 ch. and was taken back by them.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-17-2005, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TVAddict
Actually, I think I found a good deal. I can get slightly used S6 for the price cheaper than S1 at the store. Very tempting.
That's a great deal on what is the best speaker in the Silver Series. The Totems are also very difficult to timbre match as they all use different tweeters. I sometimes wonder if Vince just grabbed whatever he could get the best price on for each model.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-17-2005, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess a different way to look at it would be that he used the best tweeter he could and maintain the target price point - all in how you perceive things.

GIK Acoustics

Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page