Energy Veritas 2.4i - Axiom M80ti - Paradigm 100 V.3 - Rocket 850 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm... :rolleyes: Let's see, one week in and already at post 180. The GTG is about 5 months away. So there should be about 4000 posts by then. Whew! Hang on! :)

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by srckkmack
Hmm... :rolleyes: Let's see, one week in and already at post 180. The GTG is about 5 months away. So there should be about 4000 posts by then. Whew! Hang on! :)
(Laughing Here) .... I was hoping to do this GTG in May, but reality set in ...

1. The speakers will not all arrive until Mid May
2. They all require break-in, and that will take several days for each pair ... suddenly we are looking at June before the speakers are ready.
3. I have (as my bride reminded me) kids in soccer, swimming, and my own newly discovered golf addiction during the summer.
4. Other people have vacations ...

SO ... We moved it to September. If this thread survives that long, I will be amazed.

Some really excellent points have been made here, too ... For the panel, I would love to have 2 of each speaker company's owners here and four who do NOT own any of these products. (Aaron - hope that works for you)

A few friendly retorts ...

1. Brian ... Fight ? Me ? Naaaaaaaaaaah ... maybe some occasional sarcasm, but not a fight. Honest ... :p

2. Jack - YEP, having some fun with this seems like a good idea.

3. Soundstage, since you like to educate, perhaps you would tell people what he/she should listen for ? ... :p
post #183 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by craigsub

3. Soundstage, since you like to educate, perhaps you would tell people what he/she should listen for ? ... :p
Uhh... soundstage?
LOL
had to do that one.
post #184 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by biffbyun
Uhh... soundstage?
LOL
had to do that one.
:D :D :D
post #185 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM

I would hope that everyone will have fun with this. It's not like a majority of any forum will sell off what they have to buy whatever product might be announced as the winner here. The real winners are going to be the people participating knowing what they want for their next system. September seems like a long ways off from here. I look forward to seeing the results.
post #186 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by srckkmack
A dilemma will be posed upon us owners if one speaker is overwhelmingly favored over the others... and its not the brand we own. We'll then feel we perhaps could have done better for the money. However, if so inclined, we can then benefit by doing our own comparison to the favorite. Then its decision time (again).

Thanks again for hosting this event. Lookin' forward to the results.
I sincerely hope you don't feel that way. I reiterate. This is about OPINION, not hard fact. The speaker I prefer might be the last one you would like, and vice versa. It's no big deal, and the last thing I would want is anyone feeling bad about their purchase.

The fact is and there is no such thing as a perfect speaker, and there is always a better speaker out there somewhere. And should your speaker not fare well, you can always do like SS, and just convince yourself these people are just ignorant, unqualified, and don't "know" any better. :D

Jack

post #187 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rijax
[ these people are just ignorant, unqualified, and don't "know" any better. :D [/b]
Extremely true and well said. Too many people haven't a clue what they should be listening for.
post #188 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Drops a Paradigm speaker on Soundstages head. ;)

Just Kidding! :)

http://img95.echo.cx/img95/1345/stereo0102vd.th.jpg
post #189 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ~Ohdee~
Drops a Paradigm speaker on Soundstages head. ;)

What a waste of a perfectly good speaker ... :cool:
post #190 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Soundstage
Extremely true and well said. Too many people haven't a clue what they should be listening for.
Quoting out of context as usual

Jack

post #191 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rijax
Quoting out of context as usual
No the relevant part was quoted and the drivel was deleted. Now behave yourself Ajax.
post #192 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

craigsub: (or others) I'm curious, how will you setup the speakers? Will the four of them be hooked up at the same time?

If so, how can you set up the four speakers so they are all in their sweet spot? Won't they all probably have different 'sweet spots' which will probably overlap or be detrimental to each other? (some might be better off closer, other farther, other wider, etc..)

Also dosen't putting 4 speakers side by side (as they usually are in brick/mortar stores), negatively affect their sound? Some more than others? ex: front port vs rear port.. Having say Front ports 'encased' between other speakers would probably not affect their bass as much another rear ported...

:confused:

Anyhow, In my experience placement plays a BIG role... In my small (~10x15) HT room, moving my Totem Arro's half a feet in front/behind or a feet sideways makes a clearly audible difference... Same goes for listening position...

I guess your room will probably be a lot bigger than mine :p So placement might not be as finicky, but still, I wouldn't be surprised if placement wouldn't be an issue... As mentionned, some speakers might benefit from behind closer/farther from the rear wall, closer together, etc.. Having multiple speakers speakers at one time in a room, well, won't that have a big effect on each speaker's sound? (I'm not saying that it will and that will ruin the test or anything ;) , I'm really curious to know :) )

Btw test sounds like fun, hope you guys have a good time! If only it was little closer.. :)
post #193 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Grandarf
craigsub: (or others) I'm curious, how will you setup the speakers? Will the four of them be hooked up at the same time?

If so, how can you set up the four speakers so they are all in their sweet spot? Won't they all probably have different 'sweet spots' which will probably overlap or be detrimental to each other? (some might be better off closer, other farther, other wider, etc..)

Also dosen't putting 4 speakers side by side (as they usually are in brick/mortar stores), negatively affect their sound? Some more than others? ex: front port vs rear port.. Having say Front ports 'encased' between other speakers would probably not affect their bass as much another rear ported...
Hi Grandarf - One nice aspect of this test will be the few months we have to put it together. We may do a side by side with two pairs at a time, or we may not.

Our upstairs theater room is 25 x 24 feet, allowing ample space between the speakers.

We will also have the room to allow 4 feet behind the speakers, and can do an A...B...C...D_____A...B...C...D layout.

This could be done with the speakers two feet from the side walls for the left "A" and the right "D" speaker and still have 18 + inches between each speaker. This would give each contestant speaker pair plenty of "breathing" room, while still allowing for each to have the same distance apart from each other.

This would allow the best possibilities of people listening to four speakers in real time ...

One thing to remember, There have been hundreds of posts (over the years) from the owners of ALL These speakers (and plenty of people who "claim" to have some experience with them) claiming either a superiority or inferiority between the speakers. THIS is a chance for these people to prove HOW right they are.

Yes, the layout for four pairs of speakers WILL have SOME compromises, but ALL the speakers will have the same compromises, and, in the layout above, those compromised will be minimal.
post #194 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

sounds good :)

Oh, bit off topic, which Totem did you listen to when the other sales guy was puching you towards Totem vs the other wired out of phase speakers?

Thing which sucks is that I'm sure everyone would like to see other speakers there.. :) But then what would be the fun.. Throw in a couple Totem in there, and we'd already know who would be the clear winner! :p
post #195 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

They were the Hawks ... They were around $3200 Canadian on sale, and were quite good. They AND the Veritas are also handsome speakers.

Who knows, if we can get through this first blind test and it goes well, perhaps we will have another later in Fall ... YOU understand cold weather, and why a GTG can be fun ... :)
post #196 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

"YOU understand cold weather" Yeah but thats why I hate it ;)

It would have been fun to see how a 2-way floorstander would have fared; sttaf/hawk/forest 1800/2400/3000$ cdn around I think.. Just because of the drastic design differences in multiple drivers (what like 6 per speaker for Axiom :eek: vs 2 for Totem... )
post #197 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Grandarf ... Perhaps in the next go around. Totems not only sound good, they LOOK good, too.
post #198 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 06:44 PM
MRL
AVS Special Member

Everyone seems to be so wrapped up in which one will win. What would win for my ears may not for yours. I think this is supposed to be set up for fun and my hats off to Craig for doing it. We are all interested but even if say brand A is preferred by most people there it still does not mean that brand A would be preferred my me or you.... I don't want to put words in your mouth Craig so please tell me to shut up and stay out of it, but I don't think he designed and is putting this up to be some absolute speaker win situation.... I just hope he can take all the heat between now and then from all of you guys...
post #199 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Hehe yep, plus there's too many speakers craigsub willl never get to test them all ;) Plus its all subjective so.. :p

talking about unknow speakers http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=534807 (shameless plug for my new thread :p)
post #200 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Gents (and if there are any ladies who have not written us audiophiles off as loonies), having done quite a few blind tests over the years, I have seen this happen quite frequently:

People will prefer different speakers on different songs.

People will pick the cheapest speaker.

People will get SO wrapped up in trying to "guess" his own speaker, the test becomes work.

People will have a totally different opinion AFTER they see the speakers than during the blind test.

In fact, JUST to put more pressure on ... AFTER the blind listening test, the panel will be excused for ten minutes ... THEN they get to do a "sighted" test ... and pick their favorites. THEN they will be told what they picked blind.

I know ... evil.... ;)
post #201 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sounds like a great time.
I am pretty sure that if 7 out of 12 people pick a certain speaker that I won't be rushing out to buy them the next day.
My speakers sound fine to me. If I never listen to a better set, I will not know what I am missing.
To late! I have already heard better. They cost about 4 times more than both of the sets I have add together. Having to live on a limited budget SUCKS.
post #202 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Henry ... That was funny AND spot on, all at the same time.
post #203 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry Lambert
Sounds like a great time.
I am pretty sure that if 7 out of 12 people pick a certain speaker that I won't be rushing out to buy them the next day.
My speakers sound fine to me. If I never listen to a better set, I will not know what I am missing.
To late! I have already heard better. They cost about 4 times more than both of the sets I have add together. Having to live on a limited budget SUCKS.
Henry, anything is possible, but the whole thing is so subjective that I'll be very surprised if 7 out of 12 pick the same speaker, particularly if there are 6 in the comparison. Even with only 4 speakers I'd be VERY surprised if a vast majority agreed on which speaker they preferred.

Though I've never thought of it, I think Craig is probably correct that people will prefer different speakers on different songs. Certainly that's true with different discs. As long as there is no mixing and mastering standard to which each disc must be held, some discs are going to sound better than others, on a given set of speakers.

Quote:
In fact, JUST to put more pressure on ... AFTER the blind listening test, the panel will be excused for ten minutes ... THEN they get to do a "sighted" test ... and pick their favorites. THEN they will be told what they picked blind.
Nuh uh! I'm gonna just close my eyes, so my choices will be the same as during the blind portion of the test, and I'll look like a genius. :p ;) :D

Jack

post #204 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

so how do we figure out how SS wins/loses that 100 USD??? First thing that has to be ignored is the "know what to listen for" caveat. It's either a bet or not based on the results....

Rgds,
Curtis
post #205 of 482 Old 04-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

and escrow is mandatory. Maybe D Bott could hold the cash :)

Rgds,
Curtis
post #206 of 482 Old 04-29-2005, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I am amazed that you guys didn't issue an Amber Alert for your lost CHILD.

Amber

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #207 of 482 Old 04-29-2005, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick TX
I am amazed that you guys didn't issue an Amber Alert for your lost CHILD.

Amber
A thinking man's comment if I ever saw one. Patrick TX ... VERY witty ... :cool:
post #208 of 482 Old 04-29-2005, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

The Veritas are scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday ... and The Paradigms next Thursday. My wife has also finally realized what I have ordered.

Does anyone have a spare room ? ... :p
post #209 of 482 Old 04-29-2005, 02:46 PM

Another reason to hang onto those boxes :D
post #210 of 482 Old 04-29-2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by craigsub

Does anyone have a spare room ? ... :p
If you bring all those speakers and your Ref 3's, you can live in my spare room rent free. :D
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page