Def.Tech. Bipolar speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-25-2005, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have the Def.Tech. Bipolar surround speakers in my home theater application. I don't seem to have very good sound from them really, I never have. I hook up a crappy speaker to it and the other one sounds better than the Def.Tech. ones. I have everything setup properly on the receiver I am pretty sure. Honestly I don't know what I even have Bi-polar units on the rears, doesn't really make sense. Oh well, to expensive to return them. Just wondered if I might be doing something wrong or if anyone else has any experience with these..

My specs are below:

Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX Receiver
LG DV7832 HD Dvd Player
Panasonic AE-700U Projector
100†16:9 DIY Screen
Definitive Technology BP6B Fronts
Definitive Technology Pro Center C2
Definitive Technology PF15TL+ Sub
Definitive Technology BP1.2X Rears

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-25-2005, 06:32 AM

Speaker placement is pretty critical for DefTechs. I have 7001SC's for Front L/R. They are about 30" off of the back wall and 25" off of the side walls. I have a nice wide, spacious sound stage and extremely clean sound.

I have a newly constructed theater room and need to do a little acoustical tweaking as there are some peaks to be dealt with, but I'm a happy camper.

diver90
post #3 of 16 Old 04-25-2005, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

My room isn't that big really. I also notice that the sub, the PF15TL hasn't got much of a punch to it, just boomy, sometimes just seems overpowering and not snappy at all. I have tried moving it all over the place, no difference.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-26-2005, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have bp2x's. I have them positioned behind my sofa on the side walls so that I get some direct and some reflected sound. They sound very good (to me) for music and ht. Were the other speakers you tried pointed directly at your listening position? I have never heard "crappy" and dt's mentioned in the same sentence before.....

post #5 of 16 Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

I know, I haven't either. The other speakers were facing me directly, yes. But shouldn't they be? My room is very open concept also though, you can see them in my gallery. That might give you a better idea to see what I am doing.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
It looks like your BP-6B's are just a few inches from the wall and playing right into a corner. I would try moving them forward about a foot so the rear speakers on the towers have some more room to reflect off the wall behind them and help build the big soundstage bipolars are supposed to have. Right now you are smothering the rear speakers on the BP6B's and you might as well not have bipolar speakers. I have the same speakers and I have the back of the speakers 18" from the wall.

I have also found that IMO they don't sound very good at low volumes but really open up a great deal when I turn them up a little. IMHO If you like to listen at low volumes they may not work very well for you.

My subs play all the way down to 0 Hz!!! It's so low you can't hear or feel anything.

post #7 of 16 Old 04-26-2005, 02:58 PM

Liked: 11
mjllewellyn,

I think that part of the issue is that your front speakers are both too close to the back wall, and also too close to the side walls. I realize that the side wall issue is sort of forced on you by the size of your screen.

To avoid boominess in the bass, Def techs typically need to be at least a foot in front of the rear walls (and probably more like 18"), and also (ideally) should be a couple/several feet in from side walls. Given the confines of the room arrangement, you might be happier with non-bipolar speakers of some kind.

I don't know how much money you have invested in your screen, but another option might be to go to a smaller screen, to let you move the speakers in a bit more to the center. if nothing else, moving the speakers a little more forward, away from the back wall, would help. You might also want to cut the bass a bit with your tone controls, or else set the front speakers to small, so that everything below 60 or 80 Hz. is getting sent to your sub.

If all else fails, putting some acoustic room treatment pads on the side walls next to the front speakers (while still moving them forward) would tend to damp out some of the excess reflections.

Experimenting with other sub placements may also offer some help.

As others have noted, DefTech bipolar speakers are sensitive to room placement. But, conversely, once they are placed well and set up, they are INsensitive to where you sit in the room.

Good luck. I also have a DefTech set-up that required a lot of playing around, due to a corner placement of the TV, and the fact that there wasn't a full wall behind the right-front speaker. I placed it in front of a decorative pillar, which serves as a substititute rear wall.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-26-2005, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I would also say to pull them out from the front wall as much as you can stand. Same with the side walls. Pull them in toward the center speaker as much as you can without blocking the view of the screen obviously. If that doesn't work, sell 'em and get some monopoles.

Scott
post #9 of 16 Old 04-27-2005, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the excellent feedback !! I have made some slight changes in the setup that seem to sound better. I have the fronts and the sub mounted on the spikes that were supplied with them, made some adjustments with the sub in the receiver setup on screen. I tried turning up the volume level on the sub to half way, then adjusting its level accordingly in the receiver setup. It seems to sound a bit better, the center speaker is the only one that really sounds excellent, could hear a pin drop. I thought by mounting it below the receiver would be a bad thing, but the receiver is too heavy and almost broke the glass shelf. I also have always liked it on top for the heat venting. Would the sound proofing pads mounted on the wall improve the bass punch though? I always thought that a sealed sub was the way to go for this.

Sorry, in my next post I am going to put numbers on each item so its easier for people to reply to.

Mike,.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-27-2005, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you consider the room and placement when you bought them?

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-27-2005, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

No because its a new home and I just finished the basement, there was only so much I could do. I had bought these speakers about 5-6 years ago. It was one of those things where the salesman did a good job I guess, kind of sold me something I didn't really need.

Like the sub, in a room that size I don't need a 15" driver.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-27-2005, 09:11 AM

I have my FL/FR DefTechs toed in a bit as well.

I'd get the sub out of the recessed area if possible and see if that helps.

This is not a professional opinion but it seems there is a lot audio information bouncing around that recessed area that probably isn't helping accentuate the bipolars.

diver90
post #13 of 16 Old 04-27-2005, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to try this, move it around a bit to see if I can find that magic spot, as long as its not in the middle of the basement somewhere.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-27-2005, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It was one of those things where the salesman did a good job I guess, kind of sold me something I didn't really need.
not a good job , if he sold you something that you don't need...... but the question is not one of overkill, but rather one of placement...I will always have a customer "draw" a room , if I hadn't in fact gone out to see it, to see where the speakers are going to be placed...was placement significantly differant in your old place?

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-27-2005, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

No. It was similar to this. I am going to post a picture in a few minutes with some numbers on it just to give us an idea what I am dealing with.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-27-2005, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mjllewellyn
No. It was similar to this. I am going to post a picture in a few minutes with some numbers on it just to give us an idea what I am dealing with.
Here is a copy of the layout, sorry its the whole basement, but I needed to show everything to get an idea why its placed the way it is. The bubble with #1 in it is where the sub is now, the other numbers through until 4 show other ideas that I had for it.

basement prop 7elec.pdf 29.1943359375k . file
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page