Athena Micra 6: Upgrade or downgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2005, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I are sick of having honking-sized speakers in our extremely tiny, NYC-apartment-sized HT room: around 100-110 square feet. Our heads sit approximately 6 feet from the screen of our 34" Sony HD set, and that's with the couch pushed back flush against the wall.

Our receiver, a Denon AVR-1403, currently powers the following motley crew of speakers in a 5.1 set-up:

- Center: Acoustic Research PSC25
- Sides: Acoustic Research PS2262
- Surround: Polk Audio R20
- Sub: DCM TB1

The construction of our room's walls is so bad that we can't hang a tiny picture on them, let alone these heavy Polk bookshelf speakers. The left surround is literally 6 inches from my ear on a stack of crates as I type this. We need to do something drastic!

I started researching some of the sub-$500 micro-sized HT speaker systems online. Based on my limited experience with HT speakers, the Athena Micra 6 system seems like it has an awful lot of bang for little buck.

Will I be disappointed down-sizing to this system? What I have sounds good, but I can't imagine it sounds all that great compared to a lot of systems. Just having a consistent make and model of speaker will probably improve things.

Is it possible the Athena Micra will actually sound *better* than what we have now? Our listening is 95% DVD/HD television, 5% music. I am primarily worried about a lack of fullness or an emphasis on tinniness.

Any thoughts on this, or other comparable (price, performance) micro systems as specifically compared to what we have now would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2005, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The Athena are a great starter system, great bang for the buck especially when people have paid as little as $350 on sale for that system. But they definitely have their limitations. Like all micro speakers with small drivers, they do lack a bit of "fullness" you get with a larger speaker.

I'd suggest you keep shopping around if you're looking for a genuine upgrade.

As you move upwards in the API line (the parent company of Athena), you'll also get improved fidelity of sound. As you move toward the Energy Act6, Energy Take series, and Energy Encore as the top of the line, you've hear improvements in sound. There are lots of alternatives too, such as the Paradigm Cinema series (which occupy various prices depending on size), Rocket, Hsu VT-12, and many others are compact systems that offer a lot of bang for the buck. Still in general, there is no substitute for a larger bookshelf speaker, in which case there's lots of nice choices there.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Old 04-26-2005, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

I guess my primary concern is the space my bookshelf surrounds consume. Considering that I already have a hodgepodge of speakers, I suppose I should just buy a small pair of satellites until we move to bigger place. At least that way I can retain the fullness of the larger main and center speakers.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The bottom line is: Ultra compact satellites do compromise certain characteristics of sound quality for their ultra small size. It's worth it to hear them out, if you can buy from a place that allows returns, that's the best thing you can do......try them side by side beside your current system.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Old 04-26-2005, 05:00 PM

Liked: 14
my parents have this system in their living room. With a pioneer 1014, it sounds amazing. Personally i like them better than my jbl e/60,35,10,250
Old 04-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

i recommend the micra 6 i have it in my bedroom and it rocks
it helps back up the athena's towers and bookshelf's in the living room. if you are in a small apt its the best to go, i use it for my room, check my gallery. they sound awesome for their size

Flickr ::[color=Blue][b][Blog]
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
Old 04-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...sMicra6p1.html

Old 04-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

in the words of "best week ever" ......UPGRADE

Old 04-28-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dsg2003gt
my parents have this system in their living room. With a pioneer 1014, it sounds amazing. Personally i like them better than my jbl e/60,35,10,250
You mean you prefer the Micra 6 over JBL set with your 1014?

I found the micra 6 is a little lack of midrange, with Pioneer 514

So I use 2 Polk R15 for the front now, it sounds better now.

Now I am thinking if I can get a deal on 7.1 receivers so that I can use the 2 micra satellites.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:58 PM

Best Buy is having some crazy deals on the Micra6 right now, so if your'e thinking of getting them, this would be the time do it.

Given the size of the speakers, I think the Micra6 system sounds great, the speakers are small, and for the price (including sub) fairly well constructed. It's hard to beat the overall sound from a full-range speaker, but like everything else, there's always trade-offs. I'm not familiar with your current floorstanders so I can't say how the Micra compares, but they're lots of speaker considering the size.

Given the current pricing, it's VERY hard to go wrong with the Micra's, if you don't like them, you can always just return them.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I think the whole Athena Micra set was around $230 at my local BB. Might be cheaper in other locations.

Afro GT
Old 04-29-2005, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you can still find a closeout, look HARD for the Energy Take 5.2 system.

I was absolutely floored by the quality of sound produced by this package when I heard it at a demo at the Mirage ballroom at CES a few years back.
They had them behind a cloth panel, and we were told that they were "a new model" and we were all pretty confident that they were the C series floorstanders (that are now also being phased out).

When the cloth dropped, so did our jaws.
Nobody among the group of long time audiophiles and hi-fi vets expected a tiny sub-sat system to be producing what we heard.

Take this and all recommendations with a huge grain of salt.
As for me, I think I have a pretty good ear for sound, I have been selling hi-fi for well over a decade and have personally owned B&W, Magnepan, Energy, Mission, Boston and others with varying levels of solid state electronics from Denon & NAD receivers to B&K, Bryston, Linn and all points between.

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
Old 04-29-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by afrogt
I think the whole Athena Micra set was around $230 at my local BB. Might be cheaper in other locations.
Yes, actually, all Athena products are on sale now.

B1 ~90/pair
F1, ~190/pair
C1, ~90
SW400. 200

Very attactive prices!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

i was in a BB today, and believe it or not, the Athena Micra 6 in black was on sale for... $74.99!!!

i almost peed myself. it was listed at $149.99, with a $75.00 instant rebate, and was $74.99 after everything...

that's about $250 or more off retail...

the $74.99 sign was on the display model, but there were still ones that were NiB on the shelf, so i'm guessing that price wasn't just for the display model. if you really want them, look into it...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
Old 04-30-2005, 03:28 PM

The Micras are on sale for 230 at my local BB. I cant listen to them or the AS-B1s and C1 so I cant compare. Do you think that there is a big enough difference between these two setups to justify the $150 price difference?

AS-B1 (2 pairs) =$180
AS-C1 =$90
Dayton 10" sub =$125
Total =$400

Athena Micra 6 =$235

Tell me what you think.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FIVE ONE SIX
i was in a BB today, and believe it or not, the Athena Micra 6 in black was on sale for... $74.99!!!

i almost peed myself. it was listed at $149.99, with a $75.00 instant rebate, and was $74.99 after everything...

that's about $250 or more off retail...

the $74.99 sign was on the display model, but there were still ones that were NiB on the shelf, so i'm guessing that price wasn't just for the display model. if you really want them, look into it...
Are you sure the price is 75?

I was in BB last week, saw the price dropped from 307 to 233.

I will check my local BB tonight
Old 05-02-2005, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

i went back there yesterday, and i noticed the sign was taken down, and replaced with the $232.99 sign. i know i saw the other sign a few days ago, i'm sure it must have been a misprint on their part, sorry for the incorrect info...

Old 06-03-2005, 05:56 AM

I noticed the $232 price on the website and almost bought them but didnt because I WAS happy with my Velodyne Classics. Well, just today, when hooking up my new Samsung DLP I noticed that one of the speakers was blown. I completed ruled out any otherr problem by trying it on another receiver. So I think to myself great time to get the Micra 6!!! Go to the Website and the price in back up to $481.99!!!! I went to the local BB and they didnt even have them in stock and the sales dude told me they were totally changing their Athena line to the crappy super thin towers with 3 3.5" speakers and 5, thats right, 5 passive radiators. They sounded like poop. I walked and sad but kinda laughing. What a bone head descision. The Micra 6 and the Audition line were great speakers. Looks like Athena went the "marketing" match the plasma route rather than making gteat speakers. Yuk.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395865333

Too bad because the Micra 6 was a great little system and at $233 they are a steal. I emailed then to ask what is going on with the pricing.....we'll have to see what the reply is.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:02 AM

Update to email. They were quick to respond. Seems it was just a sale they had going on in their weekly add. Seems strange cuz sales usually mean 10-20% off and not the 60% off these were. The rep ignored my question about dropping the Audition line up. Oh well, you snooze you loose.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd just point out that it's not that Athena is switching entirely to that line (they're coming out with new Auditions and such, presumably micra's too), it would however seem that maybe Best Buy is switching? Seems strange to me but... whatever. I assume the Athena's will now just have to be bought at other locations, unless of course the salesguy just didn't know what he was talking about (a real possibility).
Old 06-03-2005, 07:32 AM

The rocket tykes would work well too.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
Old 06-03-2005, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I got Athena Micras off ebay recently. Very nice. Especially pleased with the little subwoofer.

Good sound quality and very high WAF.

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

Old 06-03-2005, 10:25 AM

I have the Micras in one of my rooms ($162 open-box at BB). Nice little speakers, and a more than adequate sub. My wife also likes them.

The receiver makes quite a difference with them, though. I switched out a lesser Pioneer receiver for a 1014 and it made a BIG difference.

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong." William J.H. Boetcker
Old 06-03-2005, 11:29 AM

What does everyone think about Athena speakers in general? I got a set of AS-F1s and am debating whether they would be good for the sides of my system.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:03 PM

The sales guy seemed like he was on it. He knew a lot about the Athena line. Trust me, I know when Im talking to an idiot sales guy.

I hope I can find the Athena like somewhere. I had intended to buy a whole set up. I bought the AS-C1 center and planned on doing the AS-B2's for the fronts and the bi-pole surrounds x 3 for the rears. Guess I waited too long. All BB has now is the center and the BS-C1 wich is too small and not enough low end. Maybe I will go with 3 center channels up from, 2 centers on their sides for fronts. Oh well, there are other options out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOct
I'd just point out that it's not that Athena is switching entirely to that line (they're coming out with new Auditions and such, presumably micra's too), it would however seem that maybe Best Buy is switching? Seems strange to me but... whatever. I assume the Athena's will now just have to be bought at other locations, unless of course the salesguy just didn't know what he was talking about (a real possibility).
Old 06-04-2005, 05:10 PM

Personally I think Athena makes one of the best bang for the buck speakers out there. The AS-F2's were very well reviewed. The AS-F1's are great speakers and I would love to run them as my fronts if I had the room. I have to stick to a bookshelf type per wifes rules. Its one of the compromises we made in this whole home theater set up.

Do it! Use the AS-F1's are great speakers.

I do see on Athena's website that they have a whole new line called the Audition 2. Model numbers stay the same but you add a .2 to the end. Im gonna email them to see where they are being sold....cheap :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyLA
What does everyone think about Athena speakers in general? I got a set of AS-F1s and am debating whether they would be good for the sides of my system.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamPC
Personally I think Athena makes one of the best bang for the buck speakers out there. The AS-F2's were very well reviewed. The AS-F1's are great speakers and I would love to run them as my fronts if I had the room. I have to stick to a bookshelf type per wifes rules. Its one of the compromises we made in this whole home theater set up.

Do it! Use the AS-F1's are great speakers.

I do see on Athena's website that they have a whole new line called the Audition 2. Model numbers stay the same but you add a .2 to the end. Im gonna email them to see where they are being sold....cheap :)
I have a pair of the F1's right now that I'm very much in love with! I also have a C1 running with them (mostly to get it broken in) and some B1's that are laying in wait till I can move down into the basement in a few months (roomates moving out so I'm moving down there) to fill out my 5.1 system. They really are amazing for the money (especially the money <i>I</i> paid since I got floor models and used the 30% off coupon at Best Buy to get them!) They really are very godo speakers and are certainly worth looking into even at the full normal price!

From everything I've heard the .2 line of Auditions will be exactly the same except for aesthetic changes. So they should theoretically sound the same just look different (Some think the new ones look better, I personally think they just look different, not really better or worse). But I'll be interested to hear what you hear back in your e-mail, especially about where to get them in the future!
Old 06-05-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOct
I have a pair of the F1's right now that I'm very much in love with! I also have a C1 running with them (mostly to get it broken in) and some B1's that are laying in wait till I can move down into the basement in a few months (roomates moving out so I'm moving down there) to fill out my 5.1 system. They really are amazing for the money (especially the money <i>I</i> paid since I got floor models and used the 30% off coupon at Best Buy to get them!) They really are very godo speakers and are certainly worth looking into even at the full normal price!

From everything I've heard the .2 line of Auditions will be exactly the same except for aesthetic changes. So they should theoretically sound the same just look different (Some think the new ones look better, I personally think they just look different, not really better or worse). But I'll be interested to hear what you hear back in your e-mail, especially about where to get them in the future!
From what I gathered from their website is that the midbass has be changed, New one if more beefy, extends a bit lower and can handlemore power.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:57 PM

thanks for all the replys
looked this receiver up on cnet and some people said that the receiver had no sub--out connector but a pre-out connector. Is this true and what is this.
Also the athena micra 6, look sweet and i think i missed out on the sales. But they ahve clips for wires on the back, does this cheapen the sound and do uu need to buy any speaker cables. some people had said that the cables that came with the speakers were good enough.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

you didn't miss out on the sale, it actually dropped even more at BB, now it's $206 or so...