post #61 of 322 Old 05-23-2005, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

So is the s6 an "ouch"?

to me the s6's are ouch on every receiver Ive tried them on (denon, yamaha, pioneer) except for the arcam avr300. Then they were *slightly* ouch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 322 Old 05-25-2005, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I know I am supposed to post this question in the sub area, but I have had no luck there. What sub do those of you that have the silver line have paired with it? Does any of you have any experience with the RS W12 from Monitor Audio?

Also, how do you like the matching surrounds, the RS fx?

Thank you
post #63 of 322 Old 05-25-2005, 09:53 AM

Quote:

I've never heard the s6, but I did get to audition the s10 against the Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 side by side with teh same gear. To my ears the Paradigm was neutral while the s10 was very detailed by comparison, but some of you may call this bright. Too me bright means "ouch" while detailed or foward means the highs are extended without beign fatiguing and I can listen at high volumes without getting that headache I've gotten after listening to some speakers. I now own the s10 and find them to be very detailed, but never fatiguing.

The s10 has two 7" woofers and one 6" mid-range and is the big brother to the s8, but to my ears it's not a neutral or laid back speaker. If anything I'd say it's foward/detailed because voices(especially female), piano, guitars solos, aucoustic guitar all seem to extend beyond the rest of the instruments almost like they are close to me than the other instruments. The s10 seems to emphisis the higher frequencies without being painful.

So is the s6 an "ouch"?

Have you listened to the s8's and if so, what is the sound difference between them and the s10's that you own? I can get a brand new pair of s8's for 1100. I dunno if that is a good deal, but I am really considering it. The way you described the s10, that is EXACTLY what I want in a speaker. So I am hoping the S8 will sound similar.
post #64 of 322 Old 05-25-2005, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
iviustang50h,
As for the s8 vs. s10 I've heard both speakers and I went with the s10 for the added bass and because my room is a medium size room. The s10 has the same detail, and clarity as the s8, but the s10 just has more bass. My s10 are 36" from the back wall and 13" from the sides and the ears to speaker distance is 12'6" in a 13x24 room. With my room size and seating distance the s10 is a great speaker that after listening to music makes you just smile and say "man that sounds nice". TNTGuy has the s8 and I've had several conversations with him and he has the same feeling after listening sessions with the s8 so maybe he will add his comments on the s8. In a smaller room I think the s10 bass could be overwhelming (not boomy just overwhelming). On bass heavy music the bungs come in handy and tone down the bass, but for most music I leave the bungs on the shelf. I would say it depends on room size, seating distance and how much bass you want. To my ears the s8 and s10 have the same tight punchy bass, clean mids, and crisp highs. The s10 is a very powerfull speaker that seems to handle anything I throw at it even at insane levels without breaking up. I like having the extra bass for most music, but for other types of music that have lots of bass I just add the bungs.

Just for reference the speaker that was the runner up in my demos was the Paradigm Studio 100 v3, which is a great speaker in it's own right. Both had strong, punchy bass with a sweet midrange, except the s10 had more detail and clarity. I really did have a tought time deciding between the two, because I had heard the 100 a couple of time before and had my heart set on them, but s10 just won me over.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #65 of 322 Old 05-25-2005, 12:10 PM

I also really liked the Paradigm 100's v3 but I think the S8's will win me over as the 10's did to you. The dealer also has a pair of Monitor Gold Reference 20's in the show room. NICE!! I can't afford them, but may be able to talk the price of the floor models down to 2K. Either way, I can't wait to give them a listen. I have an appointment for tomorrow at 5PM. Hopefully I will love them.
post #66 of 322 Old 05-25-2005, 01:38 PM

As Legairre mentioned, the S8s and S10s are very similar speakers with the 10s having the 7" bass drivers instead of the 6" drivers on the 8s. Alot of it depends on room size and distance to the listening area. I have a 15x15x15 room and sit about 8' from the speakers. So I figured the S10s might be a bit overkill for me. In a smaller room I would go for the 8s. $1100/pair for the S8s is an excellent price. Most dealers will offer between $1150-1250 so anything under that is very good. Of course now that the classic Silvers are on the way out, you might try to get him to go down further.

I own the SVS PB12-ISD and love it. MA makes good subs, but typically SVS or HSU will give you a bit better bang for the buck. But the MA subs are quality subs just more expensive.

I have found my S8s to give very good balance. You get detailed highs and excellent clarity without being fatiguing but you also get a fairly forward midrange which is excellent for HT.
post #67 of 322 Old 05-25-2005, 03:47 PM

My room is small so I think it will be better suited for the S8's.

Have any of you heard the Gold Reference 20's? He is going to set them up side by side for me to listen to. Is there a huge difference in sound?
post #68 of 322 Old 05-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 504
I auditioned the S6's, S8's, GR20's and GR60's about 2 yrs ago. I found there to be a fairly audible difference with each speaker with an improvement as you went up the line. I felt you got a fuller, richer sound with each step up. I ended up going with the GR60's and have been very pleased with the decision. I think the whole line is great.
Good luck.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #69 of 322 Old 05-25-2005, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviustang50h View Post

Have any of you heard the Gold Reference 20's? He is going to set them up side by side for me to listen to. Is there a huge difference in sound?

Sorry I haven't heard the 20s . When speaker shopping my budget was a max of $2000 out the door and the Ref 20s even with a discount were about $300 - $400 over my max. I have one A/V rule that I always follow. Never demo something that's out of my price range. Otherwise I'll probably buy it and spend more than I intended to .

If your room is small I agree that the s8 would be a better choice.

post #70 of 322 Old 05-25-2005, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillcup View Post

I auditioned the S6's, S8's, GR20's and GR60's about 2 yrs ago. I found there to be a fairly audible difference with each speaker with an improvement as you went up the line. I felt you got a fuller, richer sound with each step up. I ended up going with the GR60's and have been very pleased with the decision. I think the whole line is great.
Good luck.

Thank you gillcup for your input. I would obviously love to purchase the GR20's but I want to maintain a 2K price limit. I can get them for that or less on audiogon, but have an appointment to hear them first. I will notify my dealer of the price on audiogon and ask him to match or come within 100 bucks (makes up for the difference for shipping). If I like them, I will just order them from audiogon if the dealer plays hardball.

Quote:

Sorry I haven't heard the 20s . When speaker shopping my budget was a max of $2000 out the door and the Ref 20s even with a discount were about $300 - $400 over my max. I have one A/V rule that I always follow. Never demo something that's out of my price range. Otherwise I'll probably buy it and spend more than I intended to .

If your room is small I agree that the s8 would be a better choice.

I agree with your room of thumb, but like I said above, I should be able to get the GR20's for 2K from my dealer or from audiogon (both showroom demo models). Otherwise I am sure I will love the S8. If I go with the S8 I was thinking of picking up the center and rears right away too. Would s2's work well for rears? I can get a new pair for 550. And the SLCR center for 425. Anyway, thanks all for the help. I will keep you posted as to what I think.
post #71 of 322 Old 05-26-2005, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never heard the s6, but I did get to audition the s10 against the Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 side by side with the same gear. To my ears the Paradigm was neutral while the s10 was very detailed by comparison, but some of you may call this bright. Too me bright means "ouch" while detailed or foward means the highs are extended without beign fatiguing and I can listen at high volumes without getting that headache I've gotten after listening to some speakers. I now own the s10 and find them to be very detailed, but never fatiguing.

I compared the MA S6 vs studio 100 v2 and to my ears on the same gear, the MA's tweeter was a lot smoother than the digms, without any lack in detail. Overall the presentation of both was very different and I preferred MA's. It seemed as if there was better transition between the highs/mid/lows. On the digms, the highs and lows attracted a little bit my attention, like a little emphasis, or separation... On the MA's everything seemed better integraded...

If anything, the S6 were less bright than the studio 100. But bright might not be the right term, little less metallic/sibilant.... Maybe more refined... less harsh
post #72 of 322 Old 05-26-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf View Post

I compared the MA S6 vs studio 100 v2 and to my ears on the same gear, the MA's tweeter was a lot smoother than the digms, without any lack in detail. Overall the presentation of both was very different and I preferred MA's. It seemed as if there was better transition between the highs/mid/lows. On the digms, the highs and lows attracted a little bit my attention, like a little emphasis, or separation... On the MA's everything seemed better integraded...

If anything, the S6 were less bright than the studio 100. But bright might not be the right term, little less metallic/sibilant.... Maybe more refined... less harsh

Excellent. I heard the s8 (brand new and not broken in) and the GR20. I liked the GR20's better, but the s8 sounded nice for having no break in. My dealer will give me the GR20 floor model for 2K. Nice deal. I still dunno if I should just buy the S8, SLCR center, and the S2's for the rear. I can get all those brand new for 2k as well. I have a velodyne cht-12 sub which I will eventually swap out for something nicer. I think I will be happy with the s8, but definitely a noticable difference in sound between the silver and gold series. What would you guys do?
post #73 of 322 Old 05-27-2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:

I still dunno if I should just buy the S8, SLCR center, and the S2's for the rear.

Is there an advantage in getting S2 over SFX surrounds for rears?
post #74 of 322 Old 05-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:

I think I will be happy with the s8, but definitely a noticable difference in sound between the silver and gold series. What would you guys do?

Thanks for the update. I'm prejudiced since I own golds. One thing to consider; if you listen to a lot of 2-channel material I think it's important to have the best front mains you can afford. My fronts are the real workhorse in my 5.1 set-up, so having good quality has been very important.
Have fun making your decision.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #75 of 322 Old 05-27-2005, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree with your room of thumb, but like I said above, I should be able to get the GR20's for 2K from my dealer or from audiogon (both showroom demo models). Otherwise I am sure I will love the S8. If I go with the S8 I was thinking of picking up the center and rears right away too. Would s2's work well for rears? I can get a new pair for 550. And the SLCR center for 425. Anyway, thanks all for the help. I will keep you posted as to what I think.

Man thats a tough choice to have to make. The HT part of me says get the S8, SLCR and I would go for the SFX over the S2 for my surrounds in a 5.1 setup. In 7.1 I'd get the SFX for the sides and the S1 over the S2 because the S1 goes down to 45hz (which should be low enough for a surround) and is 11lbs vs. 15lbs of the S2. Also the S1 is cheaper and has the same 6" woofer as the S8, SLCR and SFX. Having the same exact size woofers and tweeters in all your speakers would probably sound great in HT.

Now the 2 channel part of me agrees with gillcup and says get the GR20s. If you get the 20s will you be getting a 5.1 gold system or just the 20s? If it was me I'd have to ask myself "if I get the 20s how long until I can get the 5.1/7.1 package of golds?". If the answer is something like 1yr then I'd be all over the silver 5.1/7.1 package, because I could always sell them and upgrade later, but if it's just a matter of months then I'd go for the gold.

Legairre

post #76 of 322 Old 05-27-2005, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Man thats a tough choice to have to make. The HT part of me says get the S8, SLCR and I would go for the SFX over the S2 for my surrounds in a 5.1 setup. In 7.1 I'd get the SFX for the sides and the S1 over the S2 because the S1 goes down to 45hz (which should be low enough for a surround) and is 11lbs vs. 15lbs of the S2. Also the S1 is cheaper and has the same 6" woofer as the S8, SLCR and SFX. Having the same exact size woofers and tweeters in all your speakers would probably sound great in HT.

Now the 2 channel part of me agrees with gillcup and says get the GR20s. If you get the 20s will you be getting a 5.1 gold system or just the 20s? If it was me I'd have to ask myself "if I get the 20s how long until I can get the 5.1/7.1 package of golds?". If the answer is something like 1yr then I'd be all over the silver 5.1/7.1 package, because I could always sell them and upgrade later, but if it's just a matter of months then I'd go for the gold.

Legairre

I mentioned getting the S2's over the SFX because the dealer has them ready and available, unlike the SFX's. I listen to a LOT of 2-channel music, mainly heavy metal. If I get the GR20's it would probably be a year before I had the rest of the system finished (including new pre/pro and amp). After the speakers the wife needs a few things. Then I will get the front end and the center and rears. I would think I would have it all within a year, but you never know what life is gonan throw at you.
post #77 of 322 Old 05-27-2005, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Any problem with having the S2's upside down so the tweeter is on the bottem?
post #78 of 322 Old 05-28-2005, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post

Any problem with having the S2's upside down so the tweeter is on the bottem?

Nope. Might actually time align them slightly better just make sure the edge is well off the front of the stand.
post #79 of 322 Old 05-28-2005, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ10 View Post

Nope. Might actually time align them slightly better just make sure the edge is well off the front of the stand.

So it WOULD be okay to have the S2 as the rears instead of the SFX's?

You seem to know a lot about Monitor Audio. Do you own a pair? What do you think about my quest? Would you go with gold or get the complete HT package using the silvers?
post #80 of 322 Old 05-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Nuz

Hi all. My first post here at AVS although I been reading for the past couple weeks.

After reading this post I went to GoodGuys to listen to the Monitor Audio speakers to see what you all were talking about. I absolutely love the way they sounded! I got bit by the upgrade bug... With the Memorial Day sale and the free subwoofer they are giving away with purchase of 5 or more speakers the salesguy was able to juggle the numbers with the sale. I did not need the free subwoofer since I just bought an Outlaw B-Stock so he was able to discount more...

I was about to buy the Silver-S series until he told me he had some of the new Silver-RS series at the wherehouse...WooHoo!

I ended up ordering the following in RS series in black oak:
RS lcr MSRP $599.99 - Sale discount $104.35 - Price paid $495.64
RS 6 MSRP $999.99 - Sale discount $173.91 - Price paid $826.08
RS fx MSRP $699.99 - Sale discount $121.74 - Price paid $578.25

Totat MSRP $2299.97 - Total discount $400.00 - Price paid $1899.97 plus Tax

I can't wait, I get the towers and center on Tuesday and the surrounds will be ordered.

I will be replacing my Polk Monitor 50, Monitor 30, Csi3 and PSW 505.

Does anyone know if the Silver RS series I bought will go good with my current Sony STRDA-5000ES receiver?

Nuz

Mike
post #81 of 322 Old 05-28-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:

So it WOULD be okay to have the S2 as the rears instead of the SFX's?

I think it is about preference here. This is assuming you are going 5.1 and have 1 pair of surrounds. How far will you sit from the rears? If you sit a fair distance away from or have high ceilings I think direct radiators work fine in the sweet spot. In that instance the sound will disperse fairly well. At close distances to the speakers or off axis the SFX would probably work better. For multi channel audio many prefer direct radiators. But for movies with the best off axis dispersion dipolar/bipolar is usually the way to go. Just my $.02
post #82 of 322 Old 05-30-2005, 10:24 AM

Thanks TNTguy!
post #83 of 322 Old 05-31-2005, 01:16 PM

Congrats Nuz..

Once you get the RSFX surrounds, let me know if you are able to hook it up the wall with the screws provided. I am not sure if I got the wrong batch - the heads of the screws were too big to slot in on the back of the surrounds! I ended up using some spare smaller countersunk screws that I had.
post #84 of 322 Old 06-01-2005, 10:54 AM
Nuz

Thanks ashok! I will let you know when I get the surrounds. So far I got the RS6's and RSlcr. Woohoo, I like 'em! The Goodguys store manager even threw in a set on Monster Z2 Bi-Wire's for the three speakers and connectors for half price. The cables are huge, not sure if it was overkill but I think I can tap the electric company with these things...

Nuz

Mike
post #85 of 322 Old 07-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone compared the RS or the S silver series to the Triangle Titus?
post #86 of 322 Old 07-06-2005, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm... Triangle Titus rings a serious bell and I think thats the model of the Triangles I've demo'd some time ago.. But I'm not sure, do you have the URL to their webpage so I can check the model? I assume its not www.trianglespeakers.org/ *scared*
post #87 of 322 Old 07-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

post #88 of 322 Old 07-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Nuz

ashok,

I mounted my RSfx's last Friday. The mounting screws I got were also to big for the mounting hole on the speaker. I just ran to Home Depot and bought slight smaller ones..

Nuz

Mike
post #89 of 322 Old 07-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

I have read that most tweeters need to be at or around ear level for the best results.
The RS6, and many other floorstanding speakers, would put the tweeter well below ear level in most all seating arrangements, is there any issue with this?
post #90 of 322 Old 07-10-2005, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I haven't had any poblems with the placement of the tweeters
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page