Athena Audition Decision? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-03-2005, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is the quandry...

I have 3 pairs of AS-B2 which I love BTW and I am trying to figure out what to do for a 7.1 HT setup. I haven't been able to find any more AS-B2's to round out a pair for rear back surrounds. Thus I have been contemplating picking up a pair of AS-F1's from best buy for $160 and making those my mains or just buying a pair of AS-B1's for $64.

When I compaired the AS-B1, AS-B2, and AS-F1 in store it seemed the AS-B2 had the tightest bass and by far the best midrange out of the three. The AS-F1 went just a bit lower but seemed a bit more boomy maybe due to cabinet resonance and the AS-B1 seemed to lack as good of midrange as well as not going as low as the AS-B2.

Which of these options do you think would work out best?
  • Buy the AS-F1's for mains: use AS-B2 for everything else
  • Buy the AS-B1's for rear back surrounds: use AS-B2 " " "
  • Keep searching Ebay for a single or pair of AS-B2: have 7 identical bookshelves
  • Something entirely different

Thanks for any helpful opinions :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-04-2005, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JDino
[*]Buy the AS-B1's for rear back surrounds: use AS-B2 " " "[*]Keep searching Ebay for a single or pair of AS-B2: have 7 identical bookshelves

Either one of those options would work and probably have the best voice matching. The AS-B2's have enough bass provided you have a good subwoofer.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-04-2005, 07:26 AM

Since you seem happy with the B2s, I would go with the AS-B1s or AS-B2s (those are some pretty great prices on the B1s and F1s!).

JDino, I sent you a PM.
post #4 of 22 Old 05-04-2005, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Check with the BB in your area - they have them discount priced to sell off remaining stock before the new models arrive.
I have the B-2s also, and really like them. & yeah, check Ebay too!
post #5 of 22 Old 05-04-2005, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by christoofar
Check with the BB in your area - they have them discount priced to sell off remaining stock before the new models arrive.
I have the B-2s also, and really like them. & yeah, check Ebay too!
Yah, all the best buys in my area only have the AS-B1's and AS-F1's in stock anymore (mostly beat up display models at that). When I grabbed the AS-B2's they were the last ones within a 180 mile radius.

Its too bad ebay has been dry for athena speakers lately.. I did see a few single AS-B2's go up for sale and a few pairs go for a decent price.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-04-2005, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

hmm, you're right about what's on Ebay...pretty dry on the B-2's right now.
Maybe B-1's for the rears are the way to go? I saw quite a few (single) auctions recently for Athenas R-1 rear surrounds (curious that so many were sold as singles & not as pairs) Have never heard them, but seemed too pricey to bother with. I have 3 of DCM OW-2 wall mount rears that I really like & they sit pretty flat on the back wall, so I'm sticking with them for now. I also toyed with getting 3 X AS-C1's across the front, but again budget constraints & I also like the B-2s
post #7 of 22 Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 PM

Let me try this again, my first reply included a link and I got bounced.

I also recently bought all Athenas from BB to upgrade exisiting 6.1 system. I basically have a few questions about mounting 2 AS-B2's as L/R rears.

My setup has speaker wire through the attic and I stupidly didn't leave enough to use the rears on floor speaker stands. So my only option is to mount to the wall. I'm waiting for some mounts from partsexpress (240-710), but I've been recently told I shouldn't wall mount rearported speakers. These mounts look like they allow 3-4 inches of clearance from wall. So, my questions to the experts are:

Is 3-4 inches of clearance insufficient and sound degradation will be noticeable?

I could possibly mount the AS-B2's from the ceiling, providing 12 inches of clearance. Sorry I cant provide a link to the mounts (noob), but do you think these could be used to mount speakers from ceiling? I would probably have to drill into the top of the speaker, is that not recommended? I really didn't want to drill into the speaker at all, but especially not on a finished side.

I'd appreciate any advice.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-05-2005, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

You *might* be ok using the wall mounts, provided you are sending the low bass freqs to the sub, but yeah, the rear port design expects some open air behind the cab to prevent it "loading" against a wall or in a corner, which can emphasize certain frequencies to not such good effect. Sound-wise you'd probably have better results w/ ceiling mounting. & yeah, you'd need to drill mounting holes in the tops of the speakers, but unless you plan on selling them someday, no real biggie.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-05-2005, 08:34 AM

Here is an Athena question. I have heard a lot of good things about the AS-B1s and I have also heard a lot of good things about the Aucoustic Research HC6. Which system would sound better?
post #10 of 22 Old 05-05-2005, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Since your hearing & preferences are unique to you, it would be hard to tell you which one would sound best *to you*. Your best plan would be to find a retail outlet & go listen to them, or even better , if they offer a return policy, buy both sets & take them home to listen to in your actual room.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-05-2005, 12:00 PM

Is there a reason you aren't considering the addition of the c1? I have two Athena setups in the house -- one with AS-F2s up front and one with AS-B2s up front -- and the Center speaker has performed flawlessly in each.

BB has the C1 on sale for less than a hundred dollars right now. I bought an extra just to have it on hand.

The R1s are also a great speaker and are designed to be wall mounted.

Just my .02

SC
post #12 of 22 Old 05-05-2005, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Baggins-

Sounded to me like he already purchased the B-2 for the rears. It's funny how I have been able to find so little info on the R-1s - BB near me virtually had them hidden behind other speakers, and not even hooked up of course. What a strange way to get people to want to spend money in there! :D
They would definitely solve his mounting issues, but not sure what wouldbe lost in sound q over the B-2s.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-05-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
How much is the AS-R1 now at Best Buy?
post #14 of 22 Old 05-05-2005, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
i tried the C1's as a L.C.R. system. it sounded good, but lacks on the low end, a low end that i was hearing better when i was using the B1's up front. i found a pair of F1's at BB last week, so i'm trying them out now, and i think i'm going to stick with them as fronts, and use 4 B1's as rears and rear surrounds myself.

to the O.P. it's a win win situation. if you have the room for floorstanders, than go with the F1's as fronts, they're excellent speakers, especially for the price. if you dont' have room for floorstanders, and need to use bookshelf speakers, then go with the B1's as rear surrounds. either way, you will still have an excellent, well balanced, system...

Xbox Live: KoNtRoL MaNiAk
post #15 of 22 Old 05-06-2005, 12:42 AM

chris

With a sub the sound quality wouldn't be too different especially for a rear speaker. The biggest difference would be in the type of sound (directional with the b1 or b2 and bipolar with the R1). Some like a more located sound when using rears while others prefer the wider less located sound. Preference is personal.

Grayson

I found my R1s at BB for 60 each. you should be able to do better than that now (that was 3 mos ago) as all thats left is floor models and the occasional open box. I know the BB in Reston, VA has 1 in a box left.

If you already own the six speakers I would recommend adding the C1 in the center. The 7 will provide one hell of a sound and theater experience.

SC
post #16 of 22 Old 05-06-2005, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I bought my AS-R1 less than a month ago and they rang up at 69.99 each. I was wondering if the price has dropped so that I can get a price adjustment.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-06-2005, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Grayson73
I bought my AS-R1 less than a month ago and they rang up at 79.99 each. I was wondering if the price has dropped so that I can get a price adjustment.
The last price drop on the athena occured on 4/26 i'm not sure if the as-r1 was included in that price drop. I think 69.99 was the last list price I saw on them.

Quote:
Originally posted by baggins
Is there a reason you aren't considering the addition of the c1? I have two Athena setups in the house -- one with AS-F2s up front and one with AS-B2s up front -- and the Center speaker has performed flawlessly in each.
It seems you have alot of experience listening to the Athena brand.. how would you compare each model to each other? I know they are very close timbre wise but there seem to be slight differences. I know I prefer the AS-B2 by just a hair to the AS-F1.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-06-2005, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

FIVE-ONE-SIX
re: 3 X AS-C-1s in the front.
Even w/ your sub running, they lacked bass? How's the overall imaging across sthe front compared to with the B-2s & only one X C-1 ?
post #19 of 22 Old 05-06-2005, 03:44 PM

JD

LOL. Yeah, i do have quite a mix of them -- the only speaker I don't own is the F1s.

Aside from size (the F2 dwarfes the F1), the biggest difference between the 2s and 1s seems to be in the rolloff of the mid and low freqs. the 2s seem to be deeper and fuller -- at least to my ears, although admittedly I have not used any instrumentation to document this.

As far as timbre or sound matching, once callibrated the sound is seemless. One of my fav things to demonstrate these speakers to my friends is to run the THX optimizers crossover test. It starts at a high freq and slowly drops to a very low freq. The effect has a very high cool factor ; ).

The AS-F2s are power horses and I have yet been able to push them to a point where they distort. I even hooked them up to a Crown 610 amp (360wpc) and pushed them to the point that the amp began clipping (about 115db). The AS-F2s took all the power and were asking for more.

The AS-C1 produces precise vocals/conversation even at lower volume levels and has proven to be a good match with both the AS-F2s and AS-B2s in my two rooms.

The B2s and B1s are both very detailed and capable of being pushed as well. I use them in my private HT setup in my den for movies, music and xbox live gaming. With the crossover at 80 I have been impressed with the sound field these bookshelves have produced for me across each of those uses.

The AS-R1 produce a wide yet precise sound field and I highly recommend them as a surround matched to any of their other speakers.

As always mentioned on this board, setting them all up properly (distance, etc) and using an SPL meter to calibrate is essential. Once they are dialed in I truly believe they are a one hell of a speaker at any (reasonable) price.

Hope you all enjoy your Athenas as much as I am mine!

SC
post #20 of 22 Old 05-06-2005, 03:57 PM

baggins, could you compare the b1's and b2's? I am looking to purchase a 5.1 system and I am strongly considering athena. Other than the difference in bass, do they sound essentially the same? If I purchase a sub would their be any advantage to buying the b2's over the b1's? I think the difference in price for me would be almost 100$ between the two. Thanks!
post #21 of 22 Old 05-06-2005, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Genki,
If you get a sub, the differences from the B1 and B2 are minor. I own both. And with the $100 difference you could get another set of B1's. If you check your local Best Buy you can get 4 B1's and a C1 center under $300 for everything. Then buy a nice sub to go with it.

Afro GT
post #22 of 22 Old 05-07-2005, 12:17 AM

The main difference I have heard is in the mid to lows and drivability at high (above reference) volume.

I would concur with the last post. I got my B2s off the floor for the same price as the current B1 sale price but they are extremely hard to find now at BB. For the price the differences are minimal unless you have a large room. The B1s are a steal at their current price and I would recommend them highly.

SC
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page