These $20 headphones seem great - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-12-2005, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm plauged because I keep finding decent stuff at RatShack.

These things are on sale $20 instead of $40 till 6/22/05 at ratshack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...1222&hp=search

Anyone familiar with this set? They seem darn good for $20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-12-2005, 01:37 PM
MRL
AVS Special Member

I have a set I use for walking with an MP3 or minidisc player and they work and feel great. I orig. got mine on sale too and that was the only reason I bought them. Now that they are on sale again I am going to go buy another pair. Mine are like 2 years old and still going strong. Showing some wear on the top material portion that sits on your head but a lot left yet.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-12-2005, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Apparently they are just rebranded Koss KTXPRO1 that sell between $15-$20. The headset is all black on the RS model.

http://www.digitallyunique.com/605784.html

Afro GT
post #4 of 24 Old 06-12-2005, 08:09 PM

Try some of the Koss phones with the portapro drivers. They sound awesome for the price.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-12-2005, 08:43 PM

I don't know much about the KTXPRO1s, but I definitely second the Portapro recommendation.

I used to have a headphone "problem" till the girlfriend said "sell off some of your collection or I'm leaving your geeky ass." Anyhoo, one of the pairs of cans I kept were the Koss Portapros; they look a little goofy and provide zero isolation, but they absolutely rock. Plus they have a life time warranty.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-13-2005, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you want great $20 headphones, get the Sennheiser HD201's. These are being talked up by many headphone fanatics as being a jewel amongst the sea of mediocre headphones.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #7 of 24 Old 06-13-2005, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON3YSHOT
I don't know much about the KTXPRO1s, but I definitely second the Portapro recommendation.

I used to have a headphone "problem" till the girlfriend said "sell off some of your collection or I'm leaving your geeky ass." Anyhoo, one of the pairs of cans I kept were the Koss Portapros; they look a little goofy and provide zero isolation, but they absolutely rock. Plus they have a life time warranty.
Yeah, those headphones were enough to show me how much my onkyo HTIB sucked. They portapro drivers sound great. The only thing I don't like about them is the slightly muddy bass, but how muich can you expect from something so cheap?
post #8 of 24 Old 06-13-2005, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The reason headphones sound so good.... even the cheap ones (as long as they have a reasonable ability to reproduce the full audio spectrum), is that you are listening "near field" without ANY of the reflections, nulls or other room anomalies that can wreck havoc with your sound system.

A well designed headphone (and yes, more expensive), will give you a GREATER sense of realism by the extremely well produced sound, and also the thing that most over look.... long term comfort.

That's where most of the Sennheiser line.... from top to bottom.... are heads (ears ;) ) and shoulders above the rest IMO.

John W.
Indy
post #9 of 24 Old 06-13-2005, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls
That's where most of the Sennheiser line.... from top to bottom.... are heads (ears ;) ) and shoulders above the rest IMO.
That's highly debatable. Every headphone manufacturer has their share of duds, Sennheiser not excluded. They are indeed a premier headphone maker, and certainly are one of top five leaders, but you still have to choose carefully.

post #10 of 24 Old 06-13-2005, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive
That's highly debatable. Every headphone manufacturer has their share of duds, Sennheiser not excluded. They are indeed a premier headphone maker, and certainly are one of top five leaders, but you still have to choose carefully.
Very true. Although I think Sennheiser has more than their fair share of crap headphones IMO.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-14-2005, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
On the upper end or lower end?
post #12 of 24 Old 06-14-2005, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite
Lower end (I've only checked-out the HD600s out of their high end stuff and they were superb) ; I haven't listened to a pair of lower end Sennheisers that I've liked yet, although I'd like to check-out the HD280s cos I've heard good things about them and I like sealed headphones... Anyway, for me it's all about the Beyerdynamic DT250-80s now.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-15-2005, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite
Fortunately, all of Sennheiser's headphones from HD580 and up are excellent.n Below that, it's more of a crapshoot. They have superb lower end models, from the HD201 ($20) to $50 HD497, PX100, but then they have duds like the PX-200, PXC300, HD570 etc.

It's foolish to say that Sennheisers are the best when there are many other formidable headphone companies turning out amazing cans like Beyer's 880, AKG240, the Stax line, Grado with their 225 and RS-1 etc.

Saying Sennheiser's are the best is like saying B&W makes the best speakers, you just can't generalize like that.

post #14 of 24 Old 06-15-2005, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

I like an isoplating headphone- of all the ones I've tried, the Shure E3c is the best bang/buck, but that's a $100+ headphone. The Etymotic ER6i is nice but colorful and extremely comfy.

I take a motorcoach in to the city each day and want to block out the drone of the bus.

Koss Porta Pros seem to be the best overall value in headphones, but I can't listen to non isolating phones anymore. All I hear is the ambient noise.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-15-2005, 08:38 AM
DMF
AVS Special Member

Some of the best I've ever heard in "reasonable" price range are Sony. (Not the cheap ones.) Not full ear cup, but soft pad that has pretty good isolation. Light and comfortable, too. Don't know what the current models are, but give them a listen.

No matter where you go. ... There you are.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-15-2005, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcable
I like an isoplating headphone- of all the ones I've tried, the Shure E3c is the best bang/buck, but that's a $100+ headphone. The Etymotic ER6i is nice but colorful and extremely comfy.

I take a motorcoach in to the city each day and want to block out the drone of the bus.

Koss Porta Pros seem to be the best overall value in headphones, but I can't listen to non isolating phones anymore. All I hear is the ambient noise.
The Senn PX-100's give the PortaPros a run for their money and don't look nearly as ugly. I would also say that the $69 Grado SR-60's have been long the standard to beat under $100 (and forever on Stereophile's recommended list)

I have to agree, nothing beats the experience and sound quality from a noise isolating in-ear monitor for travelling. I prefer the ER-6i over the E3C (my wife uses the E3C, I use the 6i's)

post #17 of 24 Old 06-15-2005, 10:58 AM

The Sony V-6 studio cans are awesome, I've been using them for years. For $70 you get 100% isolation, zero sound leakage, good frequency respone with really nice, clear, punchy bass for headphones. The only problem is that they are not comfortable for extended periods (longer then 4~6 hours)
post #18 of 24 Old 06-15-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pion
The Sony V-6 studio cans are awesome, I've been using them for years. For $70 you get 100% isolation, zero sound leakage, good frequency respone with really nice, clear, punchy bass for headphones. The only problem is that they are not comfortable for extended periods (longer then 4~6 hours)
Yeah the V-6s are quite popular (good isolation, easily driven by a portable). I had a pair of Sony MDR-7506s (aka V-6s) but found the highs too harsh and overall they were very unmusical IMO.

Since you really like them you should consider doing the Beyer pad mod to them (velour Beyer DT250 pads). It's a very common mod with the V-6s and easy to do (I did it to my pair) and it will make them 10x more comfortable.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-16-2005, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

The V-6's were my first "real" headphone...they are nice in that they are tonally very accurate...nice even frequency response...but they have their limitations, slightly muddy hard sound. I prefer the cheaper AKG K26 if I wanted a sealed pair

post #20 of 24 Old 06-21-2005, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Anyone ever compare the top of the line Sennheiser to the Stax?
post #21 of 24 Old 06-22-2005, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've looked up every model posted (-1 or -2). Good stuff.

I listened to some portapros (not portapro2 I think) at circuit city and was impressed. They were $30. The ones I have are very impressive for the price ($20 at radioshack(sale) or $15 online (Koss Brand)), but the portapros definately had a significant edge. If the portapros were $40 more I'd be standoff-ish, but at $10 more they are a no-brainer better value.

I'd glady go higher in price if I could assure myself value/pricepoint, but never interested in putting >$$ towards a crapshoot.

On amazon they have both portapro2s and Sennheiser HD-497 each for $40. I'd perfer headphones (this is for a mp3 player btw (Rio Carbon)) that were completely closed and over ear. So the Sennheisers tempt me even though they are 'open air' or whatever. they look better too. But I haven't even heard those. I've been to circuit city, best buy. They never have any display models to check out. I got to try the portapros because I a box that had already been opened and helped myself.

To cut the chase I'm planning to get another set and am eyeing the Sennheiser HD-497 and the portapro2.

Any comments would be appreciated. (This is practically a new thread, but hey)
post #22 of 24 Old 06-22-2005, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow

To cut the chase I'm planning to get another set and am eyeing the Sennheiser HD-497 and the portapro2.

Any comments would be appreciated. (This is practically a new thread, but hey)
Try out the Sennheiser HD201, they are sealed and sound way better than their $20 price would suggest.

I think the PX-100's and HD-497's are great value. I paid a lot more than that for my HD-497's and I still think they were worth it. The only thing about the 497's is that they clamp too tightly, and it becomes uncomfortable for me. For portable use, I think the PX-100's and Portapros are a better bet. The PortaPro's are a winner, as they have been the standard under $50 for a long time.

And that's coming from a guy who just bought $220 Etymotics ER-4S in-ear monitors. And also use $200 Grado SR225's at home. So I'm pretty picky about my cans.

post #23 of 24 Old 06-22-2005, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another big deal for me is to have volume control on the headphones, because I listen to a lot of podcasts and mp3s that are at different volume levels.

I don't like the thought that a volume control would limit my choices. I'd consider chopping and sodiering the cord. Too bad I don't know how to do that in a clean way which would leave the headphones presentable.

I went searching for PortaPros with volume control.. didn't find any.

I got to be careful or I'll buy a pair of headphones that I don't actually use. Might as well double my pricepoint from the getgo and do it right.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-22-2005, 04:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

audioguy,
I compared the Senn 600s with the Stax SR303s and preferred the Sennheisers (more comfortable, better low-end, better balance). I have not heard the ultra high-end Stax cans. However, I felt that the UltimateEars were even better! Note that I am one of those people who do NOT mind in-ear phones (I own Etymotic ER-4Ps and Senn 600s).

FYI: Amazon is blowing out the Sennheiser HD600s for $200. This is a good deal for excellent headphones. You will also want to get/build a headphone amp...
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page