17Likes

post #3001 of 30505 Old 12-22-2006, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Does anyone know how these speakers are mounted?

Do they need to go in studs?

I was just in the new media room in my new house being built, and the HVAC people are putting a return right where the side surround speakers have to go. My seats will be directly next to that return.

The stud I will need to use is circled in this picture:

Will there be a problem using this stud. When the return is finished, there will be metal hammered into the stud to hold the return in place. Will I be able to hammer the mounting plate for my ADP 590 side surrounds into that stud?

It's hard to tell from the picture, but is that the corner of the room? If so you won't want to have your surrounds there, if it's not the corner, is there a post there? That wouldn't be good either, but maybe it's just the picture which makes it looks that way.. The other issue may be vibrations, if your 590 is right up against the return, someone else probably would be able to answer that better than I.....Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 30505 Old 12-22-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYV.3 View Post

It's hard to tell from the picture, but is that the corner of the room? If so you won't want to have your surrounds there, if it's not the corner, is there a post there? That wouldn't be good either, but maybe it's just the picture which makes it looks that way.. The other issue may be vibrations, if your 590 is right up against the return, someone else probably would be able to answer that better than I.....Good luck.

No -- that is not the corner of the room. The room is 20 feet deep -- and that is about 11 feet back from the sceen. So around the middle of the room.

There is a post there -- it is unavoidable. But the post is 2 feet away from the wall. The ADPs are 7 inches in depth -- so there's room. If the ADP sits there, the null will be where the post is -- so that's not a big deal -- the woofer will fire at it (but I'll deal with that when calibrating via the receiver). The higher frequencies will fire around the post. I have to deal with the post no matter what.

As far as vibrations, my house is coming with a furnace with a variable speed fan (Carrier Infinity 96). This means it does not run full blast all the time. It should be quieter. I don't think vibrations will be an issue.

The only question I have is, can you nail something into a stud, where the return is also nailed partly into the same stud work?
post #3003 of 30505 Old 12-22-2006, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Does anyone know how these speakers are mounted?

Do they need to go in studs?

I was just in the new media room in my new house being built, and the HVAC people are putting a return right where the side surround speakers have to go. My seats will be directly next to that return.

The stud I will need to use is circled in this picture:

Will there be a problem using this stud. When the return is finished, there will be metal hammered into the stud to hold the return in place. Will I be able to hammer the mounting plate for my ADP 590 side surrounds into that stud?

The only question I have is, can you nail something into a stud, where the return is also nailed partly into the same stud work?

The ADPs do not need to be mounted to a stud. Dry wall anchors will also do the trick. I have my Signature ADPs mounted into drywall using two 50 lbs drywall anchors for each mount (the screw in type).

BTW you use screws not nails secure the ADP mounting plate. If you do want to put the mounting plate on the same stud that the AC return is attached, I doubt the screws would go deep enough to hit the nails used to moun the AC return.
post #3004 of 30505 Old 12-22-2006, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

The ADPs do not need to be mounted to a stud. Dry wall anchors will also do the trick. I have my Signature ADPs mounted into drywall using two 50 lbs drywall anchors for each mount (the screw in type).

BTW you use screws not nails secure the ADP mounting plate. If you do want to put the mounting plate on the same stud that the AC return is attached, I doubt the screws would go deep enough to hit the nails used to moun the AC return.

Is that part of the standard mounting equipment -- or did you buy special anchors?

What does Paradigm supply and recommend? I can't find anything on their mounts for the ADPs.

If I don't use the stud, I would need to mount them right where that return is -- would that be a problem -- running dry-wall screws right in the middle of those 2 studs? That's actually where I originally wanted it to go (as that's exactly 11 feet back from the screen wall -- and my ears will be at 11 feet).

I thought I would have to go to the stud -- which is 11' 6" from the screen wall. Still should be in the null though, I would think. Even 6 inches off from ideal?
post #3005 of 30505 Old 12-22-2006, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Looks to me like you have the perfect opportunity right now, before the walls go up, to add an extra horizontal bracing 2x4, in front of the return duct, between the two vertical studs. Hammer in the extra brace where you want to mount the bracket.
post #3006 of 30505 Old 12-22-2006, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is that part of the standard mounting equipment -- or did you buy special anchors?

What does Paradigm supply and recommend? I can't find anything on their mounts for the ADPs.

If I don't use the stud, I would need to mount them right where that return is -- would that be a problem -- running dry-wall screws right in the middle of those 2 studs? That's actually where I originally wanted it to go (as that's exactly 11 feet back from the screen wall -- and my ears will be at 11 feet).

I thought I would have to go to the stud -- which is 11' 6" from the screen wall. Still should be in the null though, I would think. Even 6 inches off from ideal?

I got the drywall anchors from Home Depot. I believe they are called EZ Anchors. They are rated at 50 lbs each and you use two for each speaker bracket.

You may be able to secure the mounts over the duct, but you will need at least 1.5 inches between the back of the drywall and the face of the duct to ensure that the anchors don't puncture the duct.

However, moving the speaker back six ichces will also be fine. You can place a dipole speaker directly to the side or slightly behind the listening postion, you just don't want them even slightly in front of the listening position. For that matter, I prefer having them slightly behind. So I would say, go for the stud location.
post #3007 of 30505 Old 12-23-2006, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

You can place a dipole speaker directly to the side or slightly behind the listening postion, you just don't want them even slightly in front of the listening position. For that matter, I prefer having them slightly behind. So I would say, go for the stud location.

Is this true about dipole placement even for a 7.1 situation? I will have 2 Paradigm Atoms on the back walls as the rears. This will not be just 5.1.
post #3008 of 30505 Old 12-23-2006, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

Looks to me like you have the perfect opportunity right now, before the walls go up, to add an extra horizontal bracing 2x4, in front of the return duct, between the two vertical studs. Hammer in the extra brace where you want to mount the bracket.

Except that I would have to sneak in and do it myself or ask the builder to do it. Either scenario would not be easy.
post #3009 of 30505 Old 12-23-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

As long
as you don't penetrate the ductwork with the lumber, just mount it in
front, you are not breaking any codes (I should know, I have a VA.
master's mechanical license). All you need is 1-1/2 " clearance to fit a
2x4 on end. Are you having a whole new house built? Go into the
bathrooms or kitchen, if the builder is doing his job, he should have
installed similar "nailers" where other things such as towel racks and
cabinets are being hung.

Good point! I am having a "pre-drywall walk-through" with the builder on Wednesday. I will ask him to put in a "nailer" in between those studs at the 6 foot height (the height where I want the speaker). That way I'll have the option to hang the speaker either in between the studs or on the studs.
post #3010 of 30505 Old 12-23-2006, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Great. (I deleted my post, after reading it, I felt it was a little too offensive ) Actually, if the lumber is set in long side up, you could even go with something larger, such as a 2x6, 2x8, etc.
post #3011 of 30505 Old 12-23-2006, 08:42 AM

Having blown my xmas $$$ on gifts - I'm somewhat hesitant to spend an extra $1K on a trade up from Monitor 9 V.3's to Studio 60 V.4's. Unfortunately I only have today to decide before my 6 month upgrade time limit is over... Any opinions??
post #3012 of 30505 Old 12-23-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowingass View Post

Having blown my xmas $$$ on gifts - I'm somewhat hesitant to spend an extra $1K on a trade up from Monitor 9 V.3's to Studio 60 V.4's. Unfortunately I only have today to decide before my 6 month upgrade time limit is over... Any opinions??

Take the gifts back, get the speakers.

Are you happy with the 9s, if so pass on the upgrade? If you think the 9s are lacking then take the plunge.

JohnG
post #3013 of 30505 Old 12-23-2006, 03:35 PM
EdL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdL View Post

I finally pulled the trigger today and have begun my Paradigm system build. My fronts (Studio20 V.4 & CC-590) should be delivered in about 2 weeks.

BTW - My dealer said he wouldn't mix the CC-590 & the V.3's. He says he doesn't think the new tweeter will match, even though the difference is supposed to be minimal.

EdL

Brougt my speakers home today and one of the Studio 20's is defective.
The sound is raspy & turns to static when the volume is raised. I switched speakers to make sure it wasn't any of my source equipment. Returned it to the dealer, who will repair or replace, hopefully some time next week. This is the first bad V.4 speaker they have encountered.

EdL
post #3014 of 30505 Old 12-23-2006, 11:11 PM

Could someone tell me what the differences between the V3's and V2's are? In the studio series?

I was thinking of going to the V3's would it be much of an upgrade?
post #3015 of 30505 Old 12-23-2006, 11:35 PM

I had posted the info below in an earlier thread;

I currently have the Studio 60 v.2 and have had a chance to listen to the v.3 and v.4 incarnations as well.

From the technical stand point, the v.3 has a and improved cabinet structure, 7' midrange drivers instead of 6.5' or 8', the midrange also includes a phase pug for better dispersion. The bass drivers also move the a consistent 7' driver instead of 6.5' or 8' drivers. The tweeter is also a new design and has been anodized with satin to improve rigidity without a weight penalty. All drivers are mounted using a gasket to separate the drivers fromt he cabinet called IMS shockmount. New crossover design, improved binding posts, and a die cast port.

The v.4 update is a change in diaphragm materials of the tweeter to the gold anodized aluminum used in the Signature speakers. This does not make it the Signature tweeter as there is a few more improvements in a variety of areas for that driver. The midrange diaphragm also changes from the mica loaded polymer to aluminum with satin anodizing.

Sound wise, its very evolutionary. The v.3 change being the major update in design exhibits improved imaging, transparency, and tonal balance. The v.4 update takes a small but audible improvement in transparency with slightly better controlled highs.
post #3016 of 30505 Old 12-24-2006, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this true about dipole placement even for a 7.1 situation? I will have 2 Paradigm Atoms on the back walls as the rears. This will not be just 5.1.

I don't think that six inches behind the listening position is going to make any appreciable difference. But, directly to the sides would probably be optimal in a 7.1 set-up.
post #3017 of 30505 Old 12-24-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeysarosh View Post

I currently have the Studio 60 v.2 and have had a chance to listen to the v.3 and v.4 incarnations as well.

From the technical stand point, the v.3 has a and improved cabinet structure, 7' midrange drivers instead of 6.5' or 8', the midrange also includes a phase pug for better dispersion. The bass drivers also move the a consistent 7' driver instead of 6.5' or 8' drivers. The tweeter is also a new design and has been anodized with satin to improve rigidity without a weight penalty. All drivers are mounted using a gasket to separate the drivers fromt he cabinet called IMS shockmount. New crossover design, improved binding posts, and a die cast port.

The v.4 update is a change in diaphragm materials of the tweeter to the gold anodized aluminum used in the Signature speakers. This does not make it the Signature tweeter as there is a few more improvements in a variety of areas for that driver. The midrange diaphragm also changes from the mica loaded polymer to aluminum with satin anodizing.

Sound wise, its very evolutionary. The v.3 change being the major update in design exhibits improved imaging, transparency, and tonal balance. The v.4 update takes a small but audible improvement in transparency with slightly better controlled highs.

So I take it that going from the V2 to the V3 would be a huge upgrade and well worth the money?
post #3018 of 30505 Old 12-24-2006, 08:26 AM

Going from the v.2 to the v.3 will be an upgrade, but YMMV depending on model.

With the Studio 100 the changes in sound stage and image are more significant then any of the smaller models. They all have an improved top end that is more resolved and less fatiguing. They all have more dynamic midrange sound with makes the music more involving. Bass depth on the other hand is not quite as deep when comparing the 100's.

But the improvements are not per se 'huge', it's evolutionary. Take a good system and make it better in almost every way. When you initially listen you may be dismayed that changes are although noticeable, are not astounding. As time moves one, you notice that you will enjoy listening to music more often. This is what I believe is the most important aspect.
post #3019 of 30505 Old 12-24-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere View Post

Could someone tell me what the differences between the V3's and V2's are? In the studio series?

I was thinking of going to the V3's would it be much of an upgrade?

The studio 100 is a complete change over as well, the v3 has an additional driver and updated tweeter, also new cabinet design. I heard someone here say the v2 has a little better bass? I'm not sure, never heard the v.2's, I have v.3's....
I would google them, there are a ton of reviews and descriptions of both...
post #3020 of 30505 Old 12-24-2006, 02:28 PM

Hi, I just bought a Paradigm CC-370 and would like to know if I should set the crossover on my amp for it to 80 hz or 100hz? I have a nice sub a little dated but it works okay. It is a 5.1 system. The amp has a 3 crossover bridge. I have the fronts set at 80hz and the rears at 100hz and the center is set to 80 right now. Should I set it to 100hz or leave it at 80hz?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
post #3021 of 30505 Old 12-24-2006, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbone57 View Post

The new CC190 blows the old CC370 away. It was a great improvement for Paradigm.

-K

Wow, really? Is that the general consensus? I've been looking to upgrade my center for a while now, been using a v3 CC-170 w/ v3 Monitor 5's up front. The size of the CC-190 is just about right for the space I have.

Anyone else comoared the CC-190 to the CC-370?

Thanks!

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #3022 of 30505 Old 12-25-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryls View Post

Hi, I just bought a Paradigm CC-370 and would like to know if I should set the crossover on my amp for it to 80 hz or 100hz? I have a nice sub a little dated but it works okay. It is a 5.1 system. The amp has a 3 crossover bridge. I have the fronts set at 80hz and the rears at 100hz and the center is set to 80 right now. Should I set it to 100hz or leave it at 80hz?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Set it to 100hz, play your favorite DVD. Does it sound better or worse? If better leave it at 100, if worse set it back at 80hz. Repeat as many times as necessary to make an informed decision.

JohnG
post #3023 of 30505 Old 12-26-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeysarosh View Post

I find the v3 was a big change from v1 and v2. v4 is a minor change from v3, almost as if Paradigm wanted to update the series to give "fresh" look.
post #3024 of 30505 Old 12-26-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk_Eye View Post

I find the v3 was a big change from v1 and v2. v4 is a minor change from v3, almost as if Paradigm wanted to update the series to give "fresh" look.

I mostly agree with this but I find two issues with the v.3 series, with particuar regards to the 100's.

1) The Studio 100 v.3 are efficient but has a brutal impedence plot. Many intended customers will not pair it with an appropriate amp.

2) There is an elevated treble but it seems in line to the more prominent bass with the 100's. Even though is appears to be in line with the extended bass, it can cause some fatigue on many recordings. It is althought quite clean and can be beneficial in a home theater setup.

The v.4 does seem to take a step to improve this. I would agree on calling it more of an adjustment, but still IMO an important one.
post #3025 of 30505 Old 12-26-2006, 07:43 AM

Hey guys, new to this forum but a proud Paradigm owner.

I have the cc-570 center and a pair of studio 20's v.2 for the rears. My question is about hanging the 20's on the wall - I want to mount them up above and to the rear of my seating area, but I am not sure of what hardware to use? If I build a shelf I will not be able to tweak the angles as well as I am sure I will want to, but I have not seen any brackets for mounting these. I believe they are about 25 lbs each.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
post #3026 of 30505 Old 12-26-2006, 07:53 AM

http://www.amazon.com/B-TECH-BT77-Ul.../dp/B0009292OE

Should work.
We had a discussion about this awhile ago and this was the name that kept on popping up.
Haven't done it personally so i can't vouch.

Home is where my theatre is.
post #3027 of 30505 Old 12-26-2006, 08:09 AM

Awesome thanks! I will check them out.
post #3028 of 30505 Old 12-26-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Brougt my speakers home today and one of the Studio 20's is defective.

That happened to me to when I did a system for a friend a couple of weeks ago. A 20 right out of the box sounded all distorted. My dealer ordered a new driver.

Quote:

v4 is a minor change from v3, almost as if Paradigm wanted to update the series to give "fresh" look.

I think the V.4 is a medium-big improvement over the V.3.
In fact I'm selling my year old V.3's right now if anybody is interested.
60's, 20's, CC-570.
post #3029 of 30505 Old 12-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quick question ,what would you say is a fair price for a dealer demo CC-570 in cherry with a nick in the venere and some scratches .the speaker plays fine ?I may upgrade from my Studio CC V.1
post #3030 of 30505 Old 12-26-2006, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27 View Post

Quick question ,what would you say is a fair price for a dealer demo CC-570 in cherry with a nick in the venere and some scratches .the speaker plays fine ?I may upgrade from my Studio CC V.1

I'd be looking at at least 40% off MSRP with a warranty, 50% off without a warranty.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page