Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1014 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #30391 of 30406 Old 07-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Member
 
UTHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Studios?

Any word on a new version of the Studios coming out soon?
UTHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #30392 of 30406 Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Newbie
 
RocNYRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is wrong with this picture?

I plan to upgrade all my speakers at a later date, but all my free cash is going into finishing the basement right now, and I have perfectly good (albeit old) Paradigm speakers to use. (Phantom v.1, CC-150, PDR-10) I had been using a pair of v.3 Titans as surround speakers, but want to use them in the family room (zone 2) for now. So I was looking for a pair of surrounds on the cheap to get me by until the budget allows for upgrades. Bought this pair of ADP-170 v.2 speakers off Ebay. They sound great, and upon opening them up, the speakers all appear to be original Paradigm... But the fronts of the speakers are upside down! The fronts don't come off on these speakers, and there is no evidence (inside or out) of the fronts being pried off, so I'm not sure how this happened. Both are identical. Anyone ever heard of this, or did I get taken for $89?

Every other pic of these I've found, the Paradigm logo is centered and on the same end of the speakers as the posts. On these, I'd have to have the tweeters down for the Paradigm logo to be right side up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0529.jpg (150.2 KB, 41 views)
RocNYRunner is offline  
post #30393 of 30406 Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Member
 
ThumbtackJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi guys,

Has anyone here heard the 30th anniversary Inspiration in comparison to the Studio 20? I've been leaning towards the Inspiration but my dealer doesn't have them in to audition, only the Studio floorstanders. I'm guessing the Inspiration is a lot better but thought I'd ask.
ThumbtackJack is offline  
post #30394 of 30406 Old 07-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
04rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For the 690 owners, what are you guys using for stands? Besides the crazy expensive Paradigm stand, anything else i find that is 18", can only support 25-35lbs. Is there anything else out there that can support this monster for a reasonable price?

Thanks!
04rex is offline  
post #30395 of 30406 Old 07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Member
 
almo89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
For the 690 owners, what are you guys using for stands? Besides the crazy expensive Paradigm stand, anything else i find that is 18", can only support 25-35lbs. Is there anything else out there that can support this monster for a reasonable price?

Thanks!
Maybe try getting 2 of these:

http://www.wayfair.com/VTI-DF-Series...FC-VI1046.html
almo89 is offline  
post #30396 of 30406 Old 07-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Newbie
 
amallano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
For the 690 owners, what are you guys using for stands? Besides the crazy expensive Paradigm stand, anything else i find that is 18", can only support 25-35lbs. Is there anything else out there that can support this monster for a reasonable price?

Thanks!

I am looking at a single 7" shelf of this Model #: BLG503BB: http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/vti_...io-video-rack/

Here is a website selling it... http://www.standsandmounts.com/vtibl...03-010203.aspx

Certainly holds the weight and is a few inches larger than the CC-690. They have some smaller options that would for the most part be hidden under the larger speaker: http://www.standsandmounts.com/vtibl...sfinishes.aspx

Last edited by amallano; 07-24-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: add a link
amallano is offline  
post #30397 of 30406 Old 07-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Newbie
 
jetmech101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I made a custom "cradle" for my cc690. I made templates using the profile of the curves and translated that to wood. If your interested I have a pic in the top sticky about posting pics of speakers. I could also make one out of carbon if you desire. Hit me up in a PM if you want more info.
jetmech101 is offline  
post #30398 of 30406 Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Member
 
isaac415's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey everyone,

I currently have a Polk set up and I am considering Paradigm as an upgrade soon in the future and found a good deal on a cc390 center speaker on craigslist. How much better would Paradigm cc390 plus monitor 9 or 11s and surrounds (ideas on surrounds?) be than Polk rti8 and Fxi5 and csi5?

Anyone with experience with both?

Please let me know.
Thanks!
isaac415 is offline  
post #30399 of 30406 Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Member
 
isaac415's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey everyone,

I currently have a Polk set up and I am considering Paradigm as an upgrade soon in the future and found a good deal on a cc390 center speaker on craigslist. How much better would Paradigm cc390 plus monitor 9 or 11s and surrounds (ideas on surrounds?) be than Polk rti8 and Fxi5 and csi5?

Anyone with experience with both?

Please let me know.
Thanks!
isaac415 is offline  
post #30400 of 30406 Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac415 View Post
Hey everyone,

I currently have a Polk set up and I am considering Paradigm as an upgrade soon in the future and found a good deal on a cc390 center speaker on craigslist. How much better would Paradigm cc390 plus monitor 9 or 11s and surrounds (ideas on surrounds?) be than Polk rti8 and Fxi5 and csi5?

Anyone with experience with both?

Please let me know.
Thanks!
I only have experience with a Polk htib, but I do have a cc390, 9's, adp-390's and adp-190's plus a pdr100. I can tell you that this setup for me puts out tremendous sound, and all of my friends love my setup. Just wanted to mention that the cc390 is a hard to come by item so if you really want it, jump on it quickly. I had to get mine through US Audiomart which was a little scary sending a money order to someone I didn't know. Luckily the guy was honest. Also you may not want ADP's with all the atmos talk that I've been hearing lately. Sorry I could not help with a direct comparison, but I thought I would give you the info that I do have.
pappaduke is offline  
post #30401 of 30406 Old 07-25-2014, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
04rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
Those aren't bad, but i actually saw another on that site when i opened it that supported the weight. Only problem is that it was too small. 13" i believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amallano View Post
I am looking at a single 7" shelf of this Model #: BLG503BB: http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/vti_...io-video-rack/

Here is a website selling it... http://www.standsandmounts.com/vtibl...03-010203.aspx

Certainly holds the weight and is a few inches larger than the CC-690. They have some smaller options that would for the most part be hidden under the larger speaker: http://www.standsandmounts.com/vtibl...sfinishes.aspx
I am looking for more of a stand like the Paradigm stand. But thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech101 View Post
I made a custom "cradle" for my cc690. I made templates using the profile of the curves and translated that to wood. If your interested I have a pic in the top sticky about posting pics of speakers. I could also make one out of carbon if you desire. Hit me up in a PM if you want more info.
I will try and take a look at the pics and see if it is something i would like to do. The carbon finish does intrigue me though. I love Carbon Fibre everything.
04rex is offline  
post #30402 of 30406 Old 07-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Newbie
 
amallano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ADP-590 as Surrounds...Crossover

The specs say: 2nd-order electro-acoustic at 300 Hz (bassdriver); 1st-order electro-acoustic at 2.1 kHz

My Yamaha CX-A5000 allows for the Surround crossover settings (variable Hz and a sm/lg setting), which is currently at the default of 80 Hz and small.

Should I change the Yamaha to match the crossover of the ADP-590?
amallano is offline  
post #30403 of 30406 Old 07-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
tboe77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by amallano View Post
The specs say: 2nd-order electro-acoustic at 300 Hz (bassdriver); 1st-order electro-acoustic at 2.1 kHz

My Yamaha CX-A5000 allows for the Surround crossover settings (variable Hz and a sm/lg setting), which is currently at the default of 80 Hz and small.

Should I change the Yamaha to match the crossover of the ADP-590?
No. The specs for the ADP-590 are referring to the crossover points between the tweeter and mid-bass drivers (2.1 kHz), and the crossover between the mid-bass drivers and the bass driver (300 Hz).

The crossover setting in your Yamaha is controlling the point at which the low frequencies (bass) will be "cut-off" from the surround speakers and re-routed to the subwoofer. With the current setting of 80 Hz, the receiver will take all frequencies below 80 Hz from the surround channels and send them to the subwoofer, not the surround speakers. Given that the specs for the ADP-590 say that its low frequency extension is 60 Hz, an 80 Hz crossover setting is probably ideal.

I wouldn't change a thing!

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
tboe77 is offline  
post #30404 of 30406 Old 07-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Member
 
isaac415's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
polk csi5 vs. paradigm cc390

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I only have experience with a Polk htib, but I do have a cc390, 9's, adp-390's and adp-190's plus a pdr100. I can tell you that this setup for me puts out tremendous sound, and all of my friends love my setup. Just wanted to mention that the cc390 is a hard to come by item so if you really want it, jump on it quickly. I had to get mine through US Audiomart which was a little scary sending a money order to someone I didn't know. Luckily the guy was honest. Also you may not want ADP's with all the atmos talk that I've been hearing lately. Sorry I could not help with a direct comparison, but I thought I would give you the info that I do have.

So, I can hopefully get either the cc390 for 200-250 or the csi5 for 150. I think the cc390 is a better value because it is a better speaker at that price but the csi5 matches my rti8s.

I would never put anything like a klipsch center with my polk system but would the paradigm center pair reasonably well? I'd love to have the best center possible but not if it is going to not mix well.

Please let me know your opinions!
isaac415 is offline  
post #30405 of 30406 Old 07-26-2014, 05:44 AM
Senior Member
 
kamouflage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac415 View Post
So, I can hopefully get either the cc390 for 200-250 or the csi5 for 150. I think the cc390 is a better value because it is a better speaker at that price but the csi5 matches my rti8s.

I would never put anything like a klipsch center with my polk system but would the paradigm center pair reasonably well? I'd love to have the best center possible but not if it is going to not mix well.

Please let me know your opinions!
I can say that I was hesitant about having a mismatched center from my FL/FR speaker and after running Audyssey I can't tell they're not all Studio speakers. I would go with the best speaker if it doesn't hurt your budget and just do like you said and make sure the tweeters are similar tech, dome/horn/ribbon etc. I have a B&W 6 series1 center and Studio 20 FL/FR.

PSN ID: javant86

kamouflage is online now  
post #30406 of 30406 Old 07-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Anybody with Studio 60's, V.5 out there?

How do they sound? Any comparison to earlier Studio 60 versions?

What have you matched the center channel to?

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Ricoflashback is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off