Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1015 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Paradigm Owners Thread

Speakers

Kevin. W's Avatar Kevin. W
08:10 PM Liked: 10
post #30421 of 30976
08-09-2014 | Posts: 1,499
Other than Paradigm, is there another source for tweeters? I have Studio ADP470 v3 and I think I may have a blown tweeter. Hearing some crackling
NamesLucky's Avatar NamesLucky
05:30 PM Liked: 10
post #30422 of 30976
08-10-2014 | Posts: 23
Hey guys, I've been a paradigm 11semk3 owner for about 2 years. I really love these speakers, but am getting upgraditis. Does anyone have direct experience with moving from 11se to studio 100s? I don't have a great ear, so will the difference be noticeable for 2 channel listening, assuming everything else equal. I am sensitive to harsh tweeters so I'll likely be going new v5s for the new tweeter design. I like the soft tweeters in the 11ses but haven't heard the 100s, nor (living in montana) will I get the chance before actually ordering some here.
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman
06:06 PM Liked: 553
post #30423 of 30976
08-10-2014 | Posts: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamesLucky View Post
Hey guys, I've been a paradigm 11semk3 owner for about 2 years. I really love these speakers, but am getting upgraditis. Does anyone have direct experience with moving from 11se to studio 100s? I don't have a great ear, so will the difference be noticeable for 2 channel listening, assuming everything else equal. I am sensitive to harsh tweeters so I'll likely be going new v5s for the new tweeter design. I like the soft tweeters in the 11ses but haven't heard the 100s, nor (living in montana) will I get the chance before actually ordering some here.
The Studio line has what I would call fairly neutral tweeters. They aren't exactly laid back or "mellow," but they aren't fatiguing or harsh either. Great recordings sound great, lesser ones (and MP3's) sound, well, as poorly as they are. Good in, good out. Garbage in, garbage out. The mid and high frequencies are especially ideal for stringed instruments. Pianos, especially, sound wonderful, having a "you are there at the live concert" kind of vibe when using audiophile recordings.

Now, if I was switching gears to another brand for music listening (or even movie watching), I would take a look at U.S. made Triad Silver or Gold Monitors. They're equally superb for music and movies, the sound stage they recreate is astoundingly wide and dynamic, and the street price is not inflated for the performance and build quality you receive (as Paradigms are fast becoming). If I had taken a listen before I bought my Studio's, I would have purchased Triads instead.

You do need a subwoofer with the Triad line, but that could be said for Studio 100's as well and I own a pair (no speaker, outside of some giant richy-rich tower model, can recreate the bass frequencies that a good sub can; instead they start to get a bit mushy and bloated in the low end if running them as LARGE with no sub through your system). In fact, you might save some money by getting Studio 60's instead with a sub.

I'm not trying to knock Paradigm. It's all just personal preference.

Both lines need ample amplifier power. Built-in receiver amps are not recommended.
NamesLucky's Avatar NamesLucky
06:23 PM Liked: 10
post #30424 of 30976
08-10-2014 | Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
The Studio line has what I would call fairly neutral tweeters. They aren't exactly laid back or "mellow," but they aren't fatiguing or harsh either. Great recordings sound great, lesser ones (and MP3's) sound, well, as poorly as they are. Good in, good out. Garbage in, garbage out. The the mid and high frequencies are especially ideal for stringed instruments. Pianos, especially, sound wonderful, having a "you are there at the live concert" kind of vibe when using audiophile recordings.

Now, if I was switching gears to another brand for music listening (or even movie watching), I would take a look at U.S. made Triad Silver or Gold Monitors. They're equally superb for music and movies, the sound stage they recreate is astoundingly wide and dynamic, and the street price is not inflated for the performance and build quality you receive (as Paradigms are fast becoming). If I had taken a listen before I bought my Studio's, I would have purchased Triads instead.

You do need a subwoofer with the Triad line, but that could be said for Studio 100's as well and I own a pair (no speaker, outside of some giant richy-rich tower model, can recreate the bass frequencies that a good sub can). In fact, you might save some money by getting Studio 60's instead with a sub.

Both lines need ample amplifier power. Built-in receiver amps are not recommended.
Thank you for that detailed response, I should of mentioned I have an svs sub so lows are covered very well, and have about a 50/50 movie/music usage. I also currently drive my fronts with an acurus 3x200w, and may be looking into an emotive xpa5 since my center amp channel went out recently. Specifically thankful for your opinion on the tweeters. I will look into the triads, I wonder how I wonder how I could audition then out here in montana.
06:59 PM Liked: 553
post #30425 of 30976
08-10-2014 | Posts: 9,304
Quote:
Thank you for that detailed response, I should of mentioned I have an svs sub so lows are covered very well, and have about a 50/50 movie/music usage. I also currently drive my fronts with an acurus 3x200w, and may be looking into an emotive xpa5 since my center amp channel went out recently. Specifically thankful for your opinion on the tweeters. I will look into the triads, I wonder how I wonder how I could audition then out here in montana.
No problem!

Go to the Triad speaker thread and ask members in your area if they would be willing to give you a demo. Most would love to show off their gear.

Since you have an SVS sub, go with the Studio 60's, if you end up choosing Paradigm over something like the Triads. I wouldn't put extra money into the 100's.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman
07:20 PM Liked: 475
post #30426 of 30976
08-10-2014 | Posts: 3,749
Quote:

It's been a few years since I auditioned speakers, but the 100 was at the top of my list. They were "better" to me than the monitor line, just clearer overall. This lead to me only listening to the monitors once. I listened to the 100s multiple times as I narrowed down my list.
I had several iterations of my demo disk and ended up with a couple of tracks that highlighted sibilance/brightness since I'm a little sensitive to that too. At my louder listening levels, the 100s were a little too bright. Not nearly as bright as the Focals I auditioned, but still just slightly uncomfortable on just those couple of tracks at those louder levels. This could've probably been EQd out by notching the treble down a bit. Even so, they were still in my top 3 for SQ and #1 for looks, just gorgeous.
Further auditioning led me to the Dynaudio Excite x34 and Monitor Audio RX8. Both of these had the tweeter I was looking for. Just right, never harsh, even at stupid levels. The dyns and MAs had great highs and mids, but only the Dyn matched the 100's effortlessness on its low end. For 2ch no sub, the Dyn would've been my pick. If the 100 and x34 were a '10' for full range, the MAs are a solid '9'. Factor in that I bought the rx8s and matching center for 1/3 price of the dyns and 100s from a fellow AVS member, I'm VERY happy. Could I have lived with the 100s? HELL YEAH! Sometimes I still wish I were looking at the 100s every day, (still my favorite looking speaker) but I never have to worry about skipping a song because it may induce a split second wince during a spirited listening session (on very few tracks), though it'd likely be EQd out to be a nonissue anyway. If you can't audition or return, I'd stick with soft domes depending on the severity of your sensitivity. Just my $0.01...

Quote:
The Studio line has what I would call fairly neutral tweeters. They aren't exactly laid back or "mellow," but they aren't fatiguing or harsh either. Great recordings sound great, lesser ones (and MP3's) sound, well, as poorly as they are. Good in, good out. Garbage in, garbage out. The the mid and high frequencies are especially ideal for stringed instruments. Pianos, especially, sound wonderful, having a "you are there at the live concert" kind of vibe when using audiophile recordings.

Ditto, well said
Gates's Avatar Gates
12:37 PM Liked: 15
post #30427 of 30976
08-13-2014 | Posts: 213
Quick question guys. My setup consists of Studio 60's, CC-690, ADP-590 sides and 20's back (as seen on the pic below). Would you guys switch up the ADP's with the 20's in that setup ? Are the 20's wasted in the back like that ?

12:56 PM Liked: 553
post #30428 of 30976
08-13-2014 | Posts: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Quick question guys. My setup consists of Studio 60's, CC-690, ADP-590 sides and 20's back (as seen on the pic below). Would you guys switch up the ADP's with the 20's in that setup ? Are the 20's wasted in the back like that ?

If you wish to add Dolby Atmos in the near future, I would buy another pair of Studio 20's and use them on the sides (and lower the 20's you have in the back a bit). Then mount the ADP's on the ceiling for the top surrounds (and get another pair of ADP's if you want 7.1.4). Build up a little at a time.
Gates's Avatar Gates
01:01 PM Liked: 15
post #30429 of 30976
Quote:
If you wish to add Dolby Atmos in the near future, I would buy another pair of Studio 20's and use them on the sides (and lower the 20's you have in the back a bit). Then mount the ADP's on the ceiling for the top surrounds (and get another pair of ADP's if you want 7.1.4). Build up a little at a time.
Thank you for the reply ! Yes, I am planning to go Atmos but I never thought the ADP's would be good for ceiling speakers. You think that would work ? The 20's that are in the back are on 6" risers as is, so I could just take those out if needed, but I'm afraid it would be too low ?
pappaduke's Avatar pappaduke
01:12 PM Liked: 52
post #30430 of 30976
08-13-2014 | Posts: 708
Quote:
Thank you for the reply ! Yes, I am planning to go Atmos but I never thought the ADP's would be good for ceiling speakers. You think that would work ? The 20's that are in the back are on 6" risers as is, so I could just take those out if needed, but I'm afraid it would be too low ?
Atmos is new to all of us, but from what I've read so far ADP's are not ideal for atmos. I have 390's and 190's in my setup, atmos is not a thought at this point. Besides, my AVR is only three years old. By the way, nice setup!
01:18 PM Liked: 553
post #30431 of 30976
Quote:
Everyone who has returned from a Dolby Atmos press event have come away with the opinion that the ceiling speakers should be a bit more diffuse with a wider dispersion pattern than the wall surrounds (as well as still having the ability to have some directionality associated with them). The ADP's are more tripole than dipole and, outside of Paradigm releasing Atmos "certified" surround speakers any time soon, they would probably be the closest thing you could get that are timbre matched to the Studio line.

Actually, I would think about lower your sides and rear surrounds a bit, so as to have a greater angle of difference between the wall surrounds and the ceiling surrounds for Atmos. You would be able to differentiate their locations better. All of the consumer Atmos demos at Dolby, so far, have had the side and rear surrounds closer to ear level than ever before... given an 8 foot or lower ceiling.
Gates's Avatar Gates
01:19 PM Liked: 15
post #30432 of 30976
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
Atmos is new to all of us, but from what I've read so far ADP's are not ideal for atmos. I have 390's and 190's in my setup, atmos is not a thought at this point. Besides, my AVR is only three years old. By the way, nice setup!
Thank you sir ! I have the Pioneer SC-68 being used as a pre-pro, coupled with a NAD M25. The SC-68 I only bought a year and a half ago It's a 9.2 receiver but has 11 outs. What a waste that I won't be able to do anything with it as far as Atmos is concerned.
01:20 PM Liked: 553
post #30433 of 30976
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
For ceiling surrounds (not wall surrounds), probably yes they would work. They're not 100% dipoles. Once mounted properly on the ceiling with a bracket, you would need to angle them towards the MLP, not have them fire directly down at the floor.
Gates's Avatar Gates
01:23 PM Liked: 15
post #30434 of 30976
Quote:
Everyone who has returned from a Dolby Atmos press event have come away with the opinion that the ceiling speakers should be a bit more diffuse with a wider dispersion pattern than the wall surrounds (as well as still having the ability to have some directionality associated with them). The ADP's are more tripole than dipole and, outside of Paradigm releasing Atmos "certified" surround speakers any time soon, they would probably be the closest thing you could get that are timbre matched to the Studio line.

Actually, I would think about lower your sides and rear surrounds a bit, so as to have a greater angle of difference between the wall surrounds and the ceiling surrounds for Atmos. You would be able to differentiate their locations better. All of the consumer Atmos demos at Dolby, so far, have had the side and rear surrounds closer to ear level than ever before... given an 8 foot or lower ceiling.
I see. Great info to have. Thank you. For in ceiling when talking about Atmos, I was eyeing the SA-15R-30 (4 of them) but I wasn't sure if that would fit the bill.
01:29 PM Liked: 553
post #30435 of 30976
Quote:
I see. Great info to have. Thank you. For in ceiling when talking about Atmos, I was eyeing the SA-15R-30 (4 of them) but I wasn't sure if that would fit the bill.
If DTS-UHD comes out and we all have to re-adjust our ceiling speakers again... the in-ceilings are going to cause a major nightmare (not to mention you can't easily aim them since they don't have a swivel bracket). Talk about a bunch of ceiling patch jobs!
dlarkin_dc's Avatar dlarkin_dc
07:11 PM Liked: 13
post #30436 of 30976
08-13-2014 | Posts: 103
Quote:
Since you have an SVS sub, go with the Studio 60's, if you end up choosing Paradigm over something like the Triads. I wouldn't put extra money into the 100's.
+1

Have SVS sub and studio 60s - albeit the v2 series - but the thinking of keeping the sub demand from main speakers makes a lot of sense... especially as this is all well below the 80hz directionality model.

Dave
barhoram's Avatar barhoram
12:24 PM Liked: 17
post #30437 of 30976
08-18-2014 | Posts: 2,443
Any suggestions on which version of Paradigm Studios would be the closest match to V1 Signatures? Trying to help a friend who has acquired a C3 center and Signature ADP surronds (both V1). From looking at them, I would say Studio V2s look the closest, but figured someone on here would know better. Wow the Signatures are a nice build!
kenoh89's Avatar kenoh89
12:34 PM Liked: 15
post #30438 of 30976
08-18-2014 | Posts: 96
If they do announce new Studio's, I will eithert hold off getting me a pair of Signature S8v.1's, or get me them even cheaper to complete my set?

My sets will be in cherry, but I don't know if the new Studio's will match my Signatures in looks?
kenoh89's Avatar kenoh89
12:39 PM Liked: 15
post #30439 of 30976
08-18-2014 | Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Any suggestions on which version of Paradigm Studios would be the closest match to V1 Signatures? Trying to help a friend who has acquired a C3 center and Signature ADP surronds (both V1). From looking at them, I would say Studio V2s look the closest, but figured someone on here would know better. Wow the Signatures are a nice build!
The monitor 7v6 are nice for surround duty, but they where no match for my Studio 100v4's for surround duty. The Studio v4 sounds closest to matching the Signature v1, except the Signatures v1 are a tiny bit laid back "very small difference", I'd imagine the Studio v.5 sound the closest because the Mid Drivers are similar?

The two that sound the closest are the Studiov4 and v5 since they have the same tweeters, with the Studio v5 having a similar Mid-Driver. Either will do just fine. Remember! There will be differences in crossover and sensitivity, so that also changes the sound!
CT-Mike's Avatar CT-Mike
06:12 PM Liked: 15
post #30440 of 30976
08-18-2014 | Posts: 85
Finally made my decision and placing the order tomorrow:

Studio 100's for fronts
Studio 20's for rears
CC690 for center
Sub12
MRX-710
Anthem A2 to drive the fronts
Oppo BDP-105D

All in black. I preferred to get Rosenut, but that doesn't exactly match the new A/V console that SWMBO is getting as part of our compromise, so black it is.

I don't have room in our living room to go with a 7.1 setup. Maybe some day.

I feel like a kid at Christmas, can't wait for this stuff to come in.
06:16 PM Liked: 553
post #30441 of 30976
08-18-2014 | Posts: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
Finally made my decision and placing the order tomorrow:

Studio 100's for fronts
Studio 20's for rears
CC690 for center
Sub12
MRX-710
Anthem A2 to drive the fronts
Oppo BDP-105D

All in black. I preferred to get Rosenut, but that doesn't exactly match the new A/V console that SWMBO is getting as part of our compromise, so black it is.

I don't have room in our living room to go with a 7.1 setup. Maybe some day.

I feel like a kid at Christmas, can't wait for this stuff to come in.
Rosenut and black go together quite well. My father has some rosenut speakers and a black A/V stand (if black is the console's color). In fact, the rosenut color is the nicest finish in the Studio line IMHO.
CT-Mike's Avatar CT-Mike
06:19 PM Liked: 15
post #30442 of 30976
Quote:
Rosenut and black go together quite well. My father has some rosenut speakers and a black A/V stand (if black is the console's color). In fact, the rosenut color is the nicest finish in the Studio line IMHO.
The A/V stand is not black, it's a real light brown stain, neither the Rosenut not cherry matches all that well.
06:43 PM Liked: 553
post #30443 of 30976
Quote:
The A/V stand is not black, it's a real light brown stain, neither the Rosenut not cherry matches all that well.
Drat! So, are you doing ash or gloss?
CT-Mike's Avatar CT-Mike
06:46 PM Liked: 15
post #30444 of 30976
Ash, I feel that the gloss will show too many of my grandkids fingerprints.
06:49 PM Liked: 553
post #30445 of 30976
Quote:
Ash, I feel that the gloss will show too many of my grandkids fingerprints.
Not to mention gloss will pick up reflections from the screen. That finish is definitely better for an all-audio system.
almo89's Avatar almo89
01:21 PM Liked: 21
post #30446 of 30976
08-19-2014 | Posts: 43
Check out this tease from Paradigm for upcoming CEDIA event

kamouflage's Avatar kamouflage
02:14 PM Liked: 57
post #30447 of 30976
08-19-2014 | Posts: 357
I'm not sure how much they can improve on their current Reference Series but if it does have sonic improvements and not just visual upgrades they will be outstanding speakers. Looking forward to see what they'll have coming out!
pappaduke's Avatar pappaduke
02:35 PM Liked: 52
post #30448 of 30976
08-19-2014 | Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
Check out this tease from Paradigm for upcoming CEDIA event

I just saw that a few minutes ago doing some reasearch for a friend on the shift speakers. This thread will probably start jumping.
04:28 PM Liked: 553
post #30449 of 30976
08-19-2014 | Posts: 9,304
Is it possible that the Studio line will now get the BE tweeter from the Signature line? It used to be that technology from an upper tier model would eventually trickle down to the lower level models. Hopefully, Paradigm doesn't jack the prices up even more. They're quickly losing their bang vs. buck reputation.
almo89's Avatar almo89
04:31 PM Liked: 21
post #30450 of 30976
08-19-2014 | Posts: 43
Quote:
Is it possible that the Studio line will now get the BE tweeter from the Signature line? It used to be that technology from an upper tier model would eventually trickle down to the lower level models. Hopefully, Paradigm doesn't jack the prices up even more. They're quickly losing their bang vs. buck reputation.
They will definitely jack up the prices. The 30th anniversary floorstanders had the BE tweeter and it's WAY more expensive than the Studio 100's. The best I can hope for is a price in between 30th anniversary and current Studio's. They are definitely no longer the best bang for your buck. More like you get what you pay.
Tags: Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread