46Likes

post #30691 of 30704 Old 09-24-2014, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvarmint View Post
Hello all, it's been a few years since I posted but I have a couple of questions regarding speaker stands for Studio 20s.

I just picked up a pair of Studio 20 v5s to possibly use as Surrounds in a 5.1 format (My other speakers are Studio 60 v4s for LR, and CC590 v4 for Center).

I have been looking at the J29 stands, but can not find a pair used and am getting the "Look of Doom" from my wife when I tell her what I can get them for from our local dealers...

So I started looking at other options (and DIY is out of the picture, I do not have the skills nor have friends nearby yet with the skills) and am thinking about VTI VSP 29's (black).

But I am wondering if the VTI-VSPs allow you to bolt the Studio 20s to them or do they just rest on the spikes on the plate? (Does the J29 bolt the speaker down?)

Anyone know to secure them to the stand effectively? I have three kids that are usually well behaved, but we have toddler nieces and nephews that will come visit and may have accidental glances on the hardware.

I plan on sand filling them, what sand is commonly used? Just go to a yard supply store and pickup some?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
I just mounted my 20 V5s to stands. You will need 1/4-20 bolts. I also had to drill holes into my stands to match the bolt pattern of the speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30692 of 30704 Old 09-25-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvarmint View Post
Hello all, it's been a few years since I posted but I have a couple of questions regarding speaker stands for Studio 20s.

I just picked up a pair of Studio 20 v5s to possibly use as Surrounds in a 5.1 format (My other speakers are Studio 60 v4s for LR, and CC590 v4 for Center).

I have been looking at the J29 stands, but can not find a pair used and am getting the "Look of Doom" from my wife when I tell her what I can get them for from our local dealers...

So I started looking at other options (and DIY is out of the picture, I do not have the skills nor have friends nearby yet with the skills) and am thinking about VTI VSP 29's (black).

But I am wondering if the VTI-VSPs allow you to bolt the Studio 20s to them or do they just rest on the spikes on the plate? (Does the J29 bolt the speaker down?)

Anyone know to secure them to the stand effectively? I have three kids that are usually well behaved, but we have toddler nieces and nephews that will come visit and may have accidental glances on the hardware.

I plan on sand filling them, what sand is commonly used? Just go to a yard supply store and pickup some?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
As mentioned above the 20s use 1/4"-20 bolts to secured them to stands. You will probably have to drill new holes in any stand other the then J29's. I was in the same boat about 5 months ago and was looking a various VTI products as well, but I finally decided to go with the J29's. They are expensive, yes, but hey really complement the 20s well , if that matters to you, and include all hardware for mounting. I chose to fill my stands with cat litter, primarily because it was more readily available. I was able to get 20+% off the stands, but I also but them the same time as I bought the 20s. I haven't told the wife I spent $400 dollars on speakers stands though.
post #30693 of 30704 Old 09-25-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I wouldn't either

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #30694 of 30704 Old 09-25-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreenD View Post
I just mounted my 20 V5s to stands. You will need 1/4-20 bolts. I also had to drill holes into my stands to match the bolt pattern of the speakers.
I used the VTI stands with my Signature S2's for the fronts and same for my surrounds, Studio 20's. I went to Home Depot and purchased sand typically used for playgrounds. Now this sand is a little wet, I just used cookie sheets and baked them in the oven till dry. It took a few loads in the oven and after a couple evenings I had very dry and plenty of sand. I used vinyl electrical tape around the top edge of the tubes to creat a seal when the top plate was installed. As I filled with sand I used a rubber mallet to pack the sand tight. They ended up very heavy and solid and most of all dont ring at all. On the top plate I just used silicone feet from Home Depot and set the speakers on top. Naturally the adhesive side of the silicone feet is facing the top plate. This solution worked out perfectly and trust me I shopped everywhere on the net for stands. The VTI are the most reasonable for the quality you will find.

Paradigm Signature S2 - front
Paradigm Studio 20 - rear
Paradigm CC-490 - center
REL R-528 - sub
REL T-9 - sub
Integra 50.3 - AVR
Oppo BDP-103 - Blue Ray
post #30695 of 30704 Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg View Post
Hi all, I am in the process of repairing some tweeters, one from each of my sets (9seMkII, Monitor 3v2). I ordered new diaphragms from Paradigm and have replaced them, but now have some questions ...

The 9seII's Vifa tweeter: The newly rebuilt tweeter is very scratchy, it plays sounds but a scratching noise accompanies it. I took it back apart and noticed some debris in the ferrofluid, and assume that is the cause. My plan is to clean out the old ferrofluid and replace, taking care to keep debris out. Do you agree with my diagnosis?

The 3v2's Paradigm tweeter: Before I replaced it, I noticed that one speaker was muddled compared to the other at high frequencies. I swapped tweeters back and forth, and then speaker cables back and forth, and noticed that the muddled sound followed the tweeter. So I replaced the diaphragm on that tweeter. However, with the new diaphragm, it still sounds muddled at high frequencies compared to the other. But, it's also louder in the mid frequencies, almost as if the crossovers are different. But because the distinction followed the tweeter, it can't be a crossover issue. I am very confused as to why the tweeter is behaving like this, and I am not sure what to try next since I don't know the cause of the difference from one tweeter to the other. (It may be worth mentioning that one of these tweeters was replaced years ago under warranty, but I don't know which one.) Any ideas?

Thank you very much for the help. I took pictures along the way and plan on posting a picture-guide to replacing tweeter diaphragms once I get these issues sorted out.

Thanks,
Ryan
I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has, very much.

I did measure the Monitor 3v2's tweeter voice coil resistances - the good tweeter is at ~29.8ohms, the new muddled one is at ~24.4ohms.

Thank you for any advice anyone has!

post #30696 of 30704 Old 09-27-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just got my Studio 100's last night. So far so good. They look and sound great. Can't wait till they break in. I am out of town working so I have them with me in my apartment however can't wait to get them home at the end of the job. I also purchased the JL audio fathom 12 Can't really hook up the JL due to being in an apartment however HAD to have it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411835112.777942.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	282521Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411835123.477416.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	282529Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411835132.676027.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	282545
ambesolman likes this.
post #30697 of 30704 Old 09-27-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg View Post
I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has, very much.

I did measure the Monitor 3v2's tweeter voice coil resistances - the good tweeter is at ~29.8ohms, the new muddled one is at ~24.4ohms.

Thank you for any advice anyone has!
I think the Monitor 3v2 tweeter just needed to be broken in. The Vifa tweeter had some crap in the old ferrofluid so I replaced it and it sounds great.

Guide posted here: Picture Guide to Replacing Paradigm Tweeter Diaphragms

post #30698 of 30704 Old 09-27-2014, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean122601 View Post
Just got my Studio 100's last night. So far so good. They look and sound great. Can't wait till they break in. I am out of town working so I have them with me in my apartment however can't wait to get them home at the end of the job. I also purchased the JL audio fathom 12 Can't really hook up the JL due to being in an apartment however HAD to have it. Attachment 282521Attachment 282529Attachment 282545
You have such excellent taste in speakers!!
Are your serial numbers all numeric or alpha-numeric? And how many digits are they? Very curious to know. Of corse I'm asking about your 100s and not the sub.

Thanks. :-)
post #30699 of 30704 Old 09-28-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Digmman View Post
You have such excellent taste in speakers!!

Are your serial numbers all numeric or alpha-numeric? And how many digits are they? Very curious to know. Of corse I'm asking about your 100s and not the sub.

Thanks. :-)

13 digits alpha-numeric.
post #30700 of 30704 Old 09-28-2014, 06:30 AM

Not sure if it's the Studio 100's or the integra however the detail is amazing. Just watched Dark Night Rises and very impressed!!!!!!
post #30701 of 30704 Old 09-28-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have to admit that while I love my Monitor 11s, the finish on those Studio 100s makes me envious.
post #30702 of 30704 Old 09-29-2014, 04:22 PM

Liked: 0
Question Stand for Paradigm CC-690

Any recommendations for a stand for the Paradigm CC-690, other than Paradigm's own J-18C?

Some details: I am a newbie to the hometheater world. I'm building a new HT, with Paradigm Studio 100s and the CC-690 (had to sell some of my organs to fund it ). From what I've heard, it's better to have the center channel on a proper stand (instead of a short media cabinet).
I know Paradigm has the J-18C stand, but at $500 it seems far too expensive. I've also heard the CC-690 has an unusual bottom, plus there's the 38" width and 70lb weight. I've searched far and wide on the interweb, but couldn't find anything that's designed to work with it.
post #30703 of 30704 Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

I have been thinking about upgrading my old center 1 speaker. Has anyone mixed a studio series center with Monitor series speakers?

I use Monitor 11 sides, two mini motors as my center rears and the small surrounds for the rear.

My center speaker is 12 years old. My monitor 11 are three years old. I want a cleaner sounding center and I am willing to move up to the studio series if it matches.

For whatever reason dialogue on my current center is not as loud or clean as it used to be.

Thanks.
post #30704 of 30704 Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

I have been thinking about upgrading my old center 1 speaker. Has anyone mixed a studio series center with Monitor series speakers?

I use Monitor 11 sides, two mini motors as my center rears and the small surrounds for the rear.

My center speaker is 12 years old. My monitor 11 are three years old. I want a cleaner sounding center and I am willing to move up to the studio series if it matches.

For whatever reason dialogue on my current center is not as loud or clean as it used to be.

Thanks.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page