post #30811 of 30819 Old 10-21-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels
... I still need to tweak the sub a little ... (although the SC-85 has crossover at 80hz, does that mean that it sends only frequencies below that to the sub?).
For all speaker channels set to "small", the audio below 80Hz goes to the sub along with all the audio in the LFE channel (whose LPF is usually defaulted to 120Hz).

Quote:
What is good practice for determining crossover settings?
Generally-speaking, use 80Hz. If your AVR's auto-EQ has set lower crossover settings, you can also experiment with lower (and higher) settings and go with the one(s) that work(s) best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30812 of 30819 Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
For all speaker channels set to "small", the audio below 80Hz goes to the sub along with all the audio in the LFE channel (whose LPF is usually defaulted to 120Hz).

Generally-speaking, use 80Hz. If your AVR's auto-EQ has set lower crossover settings, you can also experiment with lower (and higher) settings and go with the one(s) that work(s) best for you.
Thank you for the tips, will play with it tonight!

HT: Pioneer SC-85, PS3
2CH: Technics SU-V7X amp, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
Paradigm Studio 60's, Studio CC, Studio 20's
post #30813 of 30819 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
With 3D "immersive" audio formats like Atmos you want a little more robust surrounds due to more aggressive surround mixing (and they should match), so add another pair of Studio 20's to keep the sound field as seamless as possible. One problem with Paradigm is that they don't have much in the way of good ceiling speakers or easily mountable matching Studios bookshelves or monitors. One possibility is to get four relatively inexpensive Tannoy Pro Di series Dual Concentric outdoor speakers with adjustable brackets and mount them really high up on the wall (as close to the ceiling as possible) so they fall close to the recommended angles in the home Dolby Atmos white papers (and then aim them towards the MLP). Do front and back heights (though they're not ideal positions) and use wire mold to hide the speaker wire for a temporary setup. The Tannoy's are getting good reviews from some of our hardy Atmos system owners on this forum.

And I also recommend the ID sub brands mentioned above. Much better boom for your buck than Paradigm.
Dan, do you know if Paradigm has concentric speakers. I am also thinking to move to 3D sound and I am a bit puzzled which way to go? Presently I run 5.2 set up with S8 (fronts), S6 (surround) C5 (central) and Sub1. I am not sure if S2 would be good for high speaker? I am actually considering the C3? I would love to stay with Paradigm but for me their line for Athmos presently is quite limited...
post #30814 of 30819 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I know almost nothing about Atmos so this is an honest question...I promise I'm not trying to start an argument. What do people mean when they ask if a speaker is "good enough" for Atmos? Does Atmos require something other than sound reproduction? If Paradigm's Signature line isn't sufficient for Atmos, then I guess there's no hope of me ever adopting Atmos. I know I need to read more about it, but is there a brief overview of what Atmos is all about?

There's nothing to see here.

post #30815 of 30819 Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

post #30816 of 30819 Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

post #30817 of 30819 Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenoff View Post
Dan, do you know if Paradigm has concentric speakers. I am also thinking to move to 3D sound and I am a bit puzzled which way to go? Presently I run 5.2 set up with S8 (fronts), S6 (surround) C5 (central) and Sub1. I am not sure if S2 would be good for high speaker? I am actually considering the C3? I would love to stay with Paradigm but for me their line for Athmos presently is quite limited...
Paradigm does not make or use concentric speakers. Tannoy and KEF are two of the big ones that use this design in "regular" speaker lines. JBL Pro is starting use them in their commercial cinema speakers.

It would be easier to mount and precisely aim something like those Tannoy professional grade outdoor speakers mentioned above for the four Atmos ceiling speakers due to their c-bracket design and fairly wide dispersion pattern. The larger 6" driver model (like Roger Dressler, formally of Dolby, uses) does have more "oomph" if you have room for them. They're priced reasonably.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #30818 of 30819 Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey everyone, I am going to get a second set of Studio 20's V.2 and wanted to ask what a good price to pay is for mint speakers.

Thanks again for any advice!

HT: Pioneer SC-85, PS3
2CH: Technics SU-V7X amp, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
Paradigm Studio 60's, Studio CC, Studio 20's
post #30819 of 30819 Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

Thanx..appreciated.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version