Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #30991 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 10:49 AM
tf4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, hope you can help me make up my mind! I recently purchased the Paradigm Tribute 30th anniversary front speakers (absolutely LOVE the sound!) and am trying to figure out which surrounds and center to pair with them. I am looking at signature line since these also have the beryllium tweeters and same woofers as the sig line but really don't want to spend 15K on rear surrounds and center. Would the C3 be OK with these? My friend says no because the midrange and woofer are different sizes. I am also thinking monopole vs dipole for the rears so getting the S1 or S3 for rear surrounds in a 7.1 arrangement is most likely the way I go OR getting two ADP 3's and just going 5.1 for now until I can afford rear front firing S3. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30992 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf4 View Post
Hi all, hope you can help me make up my mind! I recently purchased the Paradigm Tribute 30th anniversary front speakers (absolutely LOVE the sound!) and am trying to figure out which surrounds and center to pair with them. I am looking at signature line since these also have the beryllium tweeters and same woofers as the sig line but really don't want to spend 15K on rear surrounds and center. Would the C3 be OK with these? My friend says no because the midrange and woofer are different sizes. I am also thinking monopole vs dipole for the rears so getting the S1 or S3 for rear surrounds in a 7.1 arrangement is most likely the way I go OR getting two ADP 3's and just going 5.1 for now until I can afford rear front firing S3. Thoughts?
If you are an avid movie watcher then you should really
Think about the C5....if you are a casual fan then the C3
Will be good.

I like monopole for surrounds..if you can find the S1 that would
Be ideal. The S2 IMHO are too pricey for surrounds.
Can't really comment on the ADP..never heard them or used
Them. I've read that the ADP is best used as a side surround
In a 7.1 set-up.

For rear surround, if you don't listen to multi-channel music
You could save money by using the Studio 10 or 20.

Think carefully about your center channel choice...
The front 3 are by far the most important.
post #30993 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 12:18 PM
tf4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
Will be good.

In a 7.1 set-up.

So I listen to a lot of concerts (Adele, Eagles, Floyd, etc,..) I DO like multichannel music but definitely want that "OOMPH" factor for movies I want jaws to drop. I am spending like 50K on this damn theatre I don't want people to be like "meh." LOL. So if I hear you right I should ante up and get a C5 and then the surrounds either ADP for the mid in the 7.1 or I could go S1 all the way around? I can find the S1 v2s on Audiogon and some other places for like 999 a pair which is much cheaper than the ADP's or the S3's so if that's the case I may do that.
post #30994 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

IMHO if you are into multi-channel music
Then I would go with with the S1's for all
Surround duty. The C5 would be the best
Match for the Tribute...no doubt about that.

I've read that the ADP design isn't ideal for
Multi-channel music. Something about
"Smearing" the sound??
But, remember, I've never
Heard them,much less seen them (except pics)

The "OOMPF" factor to me is powered subwoofer's.
Remember, Paradigm subs don't always equal
Best bang for the buck.
post #30995 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
So I listen to a lot of concerts (Adele, Eagles, Floyd, etc,..) I DO like multichannel music but definitely want that "OOMPH" factor for movies I want jaws to drop. I am spending like 50K on this damn theatre I don't want people to be like "meh." LOL. So if I hear you right I should ante up and get a C5 and then the surrounds either ADP for the mid in the 7.1 or I could go S1 all the way around? I can find the S1 v2s on Audiogon and some other places for like 999 a pair which is much cheaper than the ADP's or the S3's so if that's the case I may do that.

From what I am hearing if you have any interest in going atmos in the future the S2s or S1s if you an find them are the way to go for surrounds. I have S2s for the read and ADP3s for the sides. I got them before atmos came out. If I could do it all over again I might get a second pair of S2s. I have no plans for atmos in this house.
post #30996 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 12:54 PM
tf4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post
From what I am hearing if you have any interest in going atmos in the future the S2s or S1s if you an find them are the way to go for surrounds. I have S2s for the read and ADP3s for the sides. I got them before atmos came out. If I could do it all over again I might get a second pair of S2s. I have no plans for atmos in this house.
So you have 7.1 and you would rather have S2's/S1's all the way around? Interesting. I am not a fan of atmos I've heard it with transformers and cannot really see using that, like I said I listen to more music and things like that. Would you say the S2's are a lot better than the S1's? I haven't even seen the S2's anywhere.
post #30997 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
So you have 7.1 and you would rather have S2's/S1's all the way around? Interesting. I am not a fan of atmos I've heard it with transformers and cannot really see using that, like I said I listen to more music and things like that. Would you say the S2's are a lot better than the S1's? I haven't even seen the S2's anywhere.
I can't really give you info on the S1s because I have never heard them. For me it would have been cheaper and more future proof (really isn't such a thing) to get the S2s for side surrounds for atmos but I have to get a new house before I go that route and that will be years. I'm happy with what I have now except I could use more power. That will come eventually.
post #30998 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use the S1 v2 as my surrounds in a 5.1 all
Signature set up. They are great little speakers,
With a very big sound!

I, too listen to a lot of multi channel music in
My system.

Great Review Here:
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/p...ture_s1_v2.htm
post #30999 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Do not use ADP's if you intend to have Dolby Atmos, Auro3D, and/or DTS MDA audio in your expensive theater... for that price you might as well. Atmos is definitely spectacular, but don't use Transformers 4 as your guide... there are other better Atmos mixes out there and coming soon to Blu-ray (for instance, Gravity is coming out in March and it is by far the most spectacular Atmos mix yet). Dipoles are not recommended at all for multi-channel music or channel/object based 3D audio formats.

Ideally, get the C5 center with S2's for the surrounds, especially if you listen to multi-channel music. And 3D audio does emphasize the surrounds a lot more than before. The S1's don't have a lot of mid bass oomph as you put it.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 12-23-2014 at 03:36 PM.
post #31000 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigZIldjian View Post
Thanks for the replies! To be honest with everyone, I am a drummer and usually get 20% off everything, because I've spent thousands every year there for 6 years. My guy is usually pretty good about getting me the best possible deal, sometimes he'll call his rep for a better price.

So what did you end up buying?
Was the haggling fun and did you get them yet or on order?

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #31001 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Do not use ADP's if you intend to have Dolby Atmos, Auro3D, and/or DTS MDA audio in your expensive theater... for that price you might as well. Atmos is definitely spectacular, but don't use Transformers 4 as your guide... there are other better Atmos mixes out there and coming soon to Blu-ray (for instance, Gravity is coming out in March and it is by far the most spectacular Atmos mix yet). Dipoles are not recommended at all for multi-channel music or channel/object based 3D audio formats.

Ideally, get the C5 center with S2's for the surrounds, especially if you listen to multi-channel music. And 3D audio does emphasize the surrounds a lot more than before. The S1's don't have a lot of mid bass oomph as you put it.

Hi Dan, has Paradigm come out with their formal recommendation for object sound and surrounds to use?
They've spun their "A" adaptive dipoles in the past to me when I asked in person to their tech reps at a local dealer face face discussion session I attended.

post #31002 of 31011 Old 12-23-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Hi Dan, has Paradigm come out with their formal recommendation for object sound and surrounds to use?
They've spun their "A" adaptive dipoles in the past to me when I asked in person to their tech reps at a local dealer face face discussion session I attended.
When I was at CEDIA and talking to Paradigm folk they didn't seem to have any real answer for formats like Atmos besides using the matching bookshelves as surrounds, or if utilizing the Monitor line of front speakers, possibly using their wall mountable bipole Surround 1 or Surround 3's (they're the only wall mount surrounds they mentioned that were not dipoles). Their in-wall's and in-ceiling's have some of the worst quality vs. price ratios in the high end industry. Some of these companies are very slow to move when a new audio technology is put forth.

Triad has been the among quickest speaker manufacturers to respond since they have made to order speakers that can be custom adjusted as need be... and they were among the first to partner with Dolby in developing speakers with Atmos in mind.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 12-23-2014 at 09:24 PM.
post #31003 of 31011 Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
When I was at CEDIA and talking to Paradigm folk they didn't seem to have any real answer for formats like Atmos besides using the matching bookshelves as surrounds, or if utilizing the Monitor line of front speakers, possibly using their wall mountable bipole Surround 1 or Surround 3's (they're the only wall mount surrounds they mentioned that were not dipoles). Their in-wall's and in-ceiling's have some of the worst quality vs. price ratios in the high end industry. Some of these companies are very slow to move when a new audio technology is put forth.

Triad has been the among quickest speaker manufacturers to respond since they have made to order speakers that can be custom adjusted as need be... and they were among the first to partner with Dolby in developing speakers with Atmos in mind.
fwiw I posted this Q on di-pole setups here (audio forum) back in 2011....transparently seems di-poles are "old school" and Paradigm should re-tool their line-up, re-do their crossovers, re-do their marketing strategy, re-train their sales and support staff, and just move with the times to stay relevant.
7.1 set-up of dipole surrounds (ADP-390) phase question

When I do do Full Atmos in 2016/2017 I will go monopoles all around ... here's that study layout

I asked follow-up Q on Paradigm facebook wall here :
https://www.facebook.com/paradigmlou...08281709224438

Last edited by mtbdudex; Yesterday at 05:24 AM.
post #31004 of 31011 Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
The C5 is the way to go, but will cost as much as the Tribs. I went with a Studio 490cc with my Sig2's and it has been fine.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #31005 of 31011 Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM
tf4

Quote:
Will be good.

In a 7.1 set-up.

Grasshopper what is your setup? I am curious.
post #31006 of 31011 Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Grasshopper what is your setup? I am curious.
I'm running all Paradigm Signature-v2
Birdseye Maple
Front-Signature S6
Center-C1 (the smallest)
Surround-S1
Subs-Rythmik F12 sealed servo subs
AVR-Anthem MRX 300.

Couple of notes..
The C1 center was bought because of my placement limitations.
I sit 7 feet from the center and have never found it lacking!

Unlike "Dan Hitchman" I have never found the S1 to be lacking
In 'mid bass oomph'. Different strokes for different folks.
I think the sealed design and smaller size allows for flexible
Placement options. (Wall mounted) And I got them for under
A grand. (As you mentioned)

I posted a pic somewhere in this thread a couple of years
Back...I see if I can find it.
post #31007 of 31011 Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Birdseye Maple
Front-Signature S6
Center-C1 (the smallest)
Surround-S1
AVR-Anthem MRX 300.

Couple of notes..

I got all Sig v3 in Piano black but I got to say that I though the Birdseye Maple was really nice and if I was gonna get another set I would want that. I am sad they discontinued that option. My wife on the other hand say pics of them and didn't like them.
post #31008 of 31011 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

old pic..set up basically same..

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	438994

Note the wall mounted S1 between
Sliding glass door and kitchen window
post #31009 of 31011 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
tf4

Quote:
Birdseye Maple
Front-Signature S6
Center-C1 (the smallest)
Surround-S1
AVR-Anthem MRX 300.

Couple of notes..

How big is your room? How do you like those servo subs? I am looking at HSB or Outlaw audio subs for mine.
post #31010 of 31011 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How big is your room? How do you like those servo subs? I am looking at HSB or Outlaw audio subs for mine.
Room is about 24x28,vaulted ceilings. Living room
Opens to the kitchen.

I really like my servo subs..very tight and accurate
With ample response down low for movies.
I bought the Rythmiks because I set everything up
For music first. Their performance for movies is
A big plus.

Highly recommended!
post #31011 of 31011 Old Today, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
So what did you end up buying?
Was the haggling fun and did you get them yet or on order?

Actually, we'll find out in the morning! I don't know, as if they were purchased, it's a Christmas present.... So, I'm in the dark until then. If they are Paradigm speakers, they'll be Monitor 7's.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page