Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1043 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 138Likes
post #31261 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dan, I'm new to the forums and I do respect your opinion. If I really enjoyed my Snell system that was over 20 years old, how do you
think the new Prestige system I picked out will fare ?
Those Snell LCR 500 weren't the biggest in size, but boy , they could push a lot of sound ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snell_LCR500.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	496562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Projector.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	496570   Click image for larger version

Name:	HouseFire1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	496578  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31262 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi guys, just wanted to make sure that the paradigm j-29 stands don't have screw in rubber feet. I bought mine used off of the showroom floor and they came with screw in spikes and little sticky foam pieces that they stuck to the top plate. I called the dealer and he said they only come with screw in spikes and sticky foam pads for the bottom. This hold true for you j-29 owners? Thanks. One other thing, I'm in the process of hooking up my studio 20's v5. I have ten gage wire going to the front three from monoprice, they no longer carry the ten gage, only the twelve. Is it ok to have the twelve gage going to the rears (about 30 feet from receiver) and keep the ten gage for the fronts? Would it affect the audio at all?? Or should I re-do the fronts with the twelve gage wire? Thanks so much in advance.
post #31263 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to make sure that the paradigm j-29 stands don't have screw in rubber feet. I bought mine used off of the showroom floor and they came with screw in spikes and little sticky foam pieces that they stuck to the top plate. I called the dealer and he said they only come with screw in spikes and sticky foam pads for the bottom. This hold true for you j-29 owners?
J-29 stands come with floors spikes only. They also come with the choice of 2 sets of spikes (short and long) and rubber pads for between the stand and the speakers. Screws are also provided for mounting the speakers to the stands. Hope this helps.
post #31264 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparjoe View Post
Dan, I'm new to the forums and I do respect your opinion. If I really enjoyed my Snell system that was over 20 years old, how do you
think the new Prestige system I picked out will fare ?
Those Snell LCR 500 weren't the biggest in size, but boy , they could push a lot of sound ....
Hard to say since sound is so subjective. When I heard the Prestige speakers at CEDIA... yes I know, the expo's showroom floor was fairly quiet at the end of the day and the listening room was quite well insulated... I was not impressed with the higher frequency reproduction. They sounded clinically harsh and icy and not exactly realistic. They did not throw a very wide sound stage; the audio seemed to adhere mostly to the speaker locations and not blossom out to create a "wall of sound." The bass was tighter than the Studios, to be sure, but if you run a subwoofer or multiple subs that wouldn't be much of an issue. I don't think I could listen to speakers like that for very long. The Studios are revealing, but seem to keep sibilance and harshness under control unless you push them past their capabilities.

If you like Snell speakers (sorry for your loss), and they were very fine speakers for the day, I would suggest you turn your attention to Triad speakers. Maybe the Silver or Gold Monitors if you don't need crushing SPL's (LCR's if you do) depending on your room size and budget.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #31265 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, can I get your thoughts/comments on the following setup? Local HT shop gave me this proposal for our new setup. Room is an open floorplan measuring roughly 12'x17' with the ceiling sloping from 22' down to 17'. I'm thinking of going Monitor 9's and something like an SVS PB-1000 for the sub. Also, what's the consensus on the Cinema 200? It works good spatially as the panel and center will be over the fireplace (I know - blasphemy!) but I worry about overall sound quality.

Denon AVRX3100W
Paradigm Monitor 7
Paradigm Cinema 200 LCR Speaker
Paradigm Surround 1 Surround/Rear
Velodyne Mini Vee 8
post #31266 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

If you like Snell speakers (sorry for your loss), and they were very fine speakers for the day, I would suggest you turn your attention to Triad speakers. Maybe the Silver or Gold Monitors if you don't need crushing SPL's (LCR's if you do) depending on your room size and budget.
I have probably read 50 Mark Fleishman reviews over the years and always noted his reference system - five studio 20's all around. So I looked at Paradigm first, but was so disappointed with their Prestige and Studio decisions that I started looking at Triad. How would you characterize sound differences between a Sig S6 v3 and a Triad in room Gold Monitor, with a sub filling in the low end of course? Appreciate your thoughts.
post #31267 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonovanz View Post
I have probably read 50 Mark Fleishman reviews over the years and always noted his reference system - five studio 20's all around. So I looked at Paradigm first, but was so disappointed with their Prestige and Studio decisions that I started looking at Triad. How would you characterize sound differences between a Sig S6 v3 and a Triad in room Gold Monitor, with a sub filling in the low end of course? Appreciate your thoughts.
Triad is not as sparkly on the top end and can handle movie soundtracks with more dynamics and ease. Depends a lot on the mission and the size of your room. If you want extra SPL capabilities for movies rather than pure musicality, then go with the Gold LCR's.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #31268 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I currently have a pair of mini monitors with an unmatched center. I just began upgrading my setup (swapped my old Yamaha avr for a new Marantz avr) and next on my list is a new center...

But since I want to match the fronts to the center, I'm planning on upgrading all three.

I am thinking the studio cc-490 center with a pair of studio 10s or 20s, but concerned that the cc-490 will not fit in my BDI Avion 8927 entertainment console, even with the drawer removed.

Anyone have experience with this? Does it fit? Website dimensions for the cc-490 height and space in BDI cabinet seem too close to call....

If I can't fit the cc-490 I will probably shift course towards the prestige 45c and the prestige 15b on each side.

Anyone have experience fitting a paradigm center in the center cabinet of a BDI stand? Thoughts?

Thanks for your help, great resources here!
post #31269 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Triad is not as sparkly on the top end and can handle movie soundtracks with more dynamics and ease. Depends a lot on the mission and the size of your room. If you want extra SPL capabilities for movies rather than pure musicality, then go with the Gold LCR's.
Thanks for the opinions, and apologies to Mr. Fleischmann for misspelling his name earlier.
post #31270 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have the same BDI cabinet and a Paradigm Studio cc-490. I'll measure the two when I get home tonight and let you know if it fits.
post #31271 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was hoping for some info on mounting/stands ADP-590's.
I just received my set-up yesterday and am slowly getting everything setup in my great room - jeez, it's been a long time since I had new equipment, just unpacking the speakers was a major job in itself. I am setup with Monitor 60's, CC590 - holy cow, from my lonely little Bose VCS10 center channel, this thing is huge. I bought the ADP's for the rear in my challenging room and also bought a new MRX710 to power the system.
So my question on the ADP590 mounting - I got the small bracket with the speakers - I have one that can be mounted with it but my other location is problematic. Can I use the Pardaigm MB60 swiveling bracket from paradigm?? or if I went with a stand (need 30"), I am wondering how steady these ADP's are going to be on a stand - the instructions suggest putting the 4 little rubber pads and that's it - doesn't seem real secure, just a 17 pound odd shaped speaker sitting on a 6x6 inch base?? I was thinking of putting Velcro on the stand top/speaker bottom to keep it more steady??
Are the J29 stands solid?? I know they are overpriced but I can get a used pair for 275, or just go with BestBuy Sanus stands for 100?? My other thought was mount the one on wall and buy a plant stand (12 x 12 inch base/top) for the other location - seems like it would be a lot more solid and it will be pretty much hidden beside a buffet, it's not like it will be in full view.
post #31272 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I waited 6-7 weeks for my 690 to come in. Got it about a week and a half ago. Still breaking it in, but it sounds fantastic! Powerful and clear with a wonderful midrange and power to spare. I love to crank Floyds DSOTM SACD in 5.1 and what a difference with the 690 over my old CCV2. Running 100 V2's, SVS PB1000 sub and 20 V2 rears. It meshes very well- seamless. You won't be disappointed even though the wait is excruciating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Hitchman and Scarriere like this.
post #31273 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock1234 View Post
I have the same BDI cabinet and a Paradigm Studio cc-490. I'll measure the two when I get home tonight and let you know if it fits.

Ah Spock you are the best! I look forward to hearing back from you.

Curious: why do you not have the cc-490 in the BDI cabinet?
post #31274 of 31276 Unread Yesterday, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
BDI Avion 8927 and Paradigm Studio cc-490 Center Channel Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaligma View Post
Ah Spock you are the best! I look forward to hearing back from you.
The Paradigm Studio cc-490 will fit in the shelf of the BDI if the plastic feet are removed. It will not fit with it's plastic feet attached.

The shelf opening is 8-3/8" tall.

The cc-490 is 8-1/2" tall with the attached plastic feet, 8" tall without the plastic feet, and 9" tall with the feet+tilting brackets. The brackets are used to tilt the speaker up towards the listener's ears.

The cc-490 would fit in the shelf if you remove the feet, but you would have to find a way to tilt it up so it is points at your ears and not at your knees. EDIT: Actually, you don't need to bother tilting the cc-490 up towards you. At normal seating heights and distances, a listener's ears will be only 15 deg. off-axis. The cc-490 is designed to provide neutral sound at up to 30 deg. off-axis.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaligma View Post
Curious: why do you not have the cc-490 in the BDI cabinet?
Because the cc-490 has a port in the rear and I felt that placing a ported speaker in an enclosed shelf might compromise the sound. EDIT: Now that you brought this up, I am thinking this wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Last edited by Spock1234; Today at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added info.
post #31275 of 31276 Unread Today, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey019 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to make sure that the paradigm j-29 stands don't have screw in rubber feet. I bought mine used off of the showroom floor and they came with screw in spikes and little sticky foam pieces that they stuck to the top plate. I called the dealer and he said they only come with screw in spikes and sticky foam pads for the bottom. This hold true for you j-29 owners?
J-29 stands come with floors spikes only. They also come with the choice of 2 sets of spikes (short and long) and rubber pads for between the stand and the speakers. Screws are also provided for mounting the speakers to the stands. Hope this helps.
Thanks whitey019
post #31276 of 31276 Unread Today, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock1234 View Post
BDI Avion 8927 and Paradigm Studio cc-490 Center Channel Speaker

The Paradigm Studio cc-490 will fit in the shelf of the BDI if the plastic feet are removed. It will not fit with it's plastic feet attached.

The shelf opening is 8-3/8" tall.

The cc-490 is 8-1/2" tall with the attached plastic feet, 8" tall without the plastic feet, and 9" tall with the feet+tilting brackets. The brackets are used to tilt the speaker up towards the listener's ears.

The cc-490 would fit in the shelf if you remove the feet, but you would have to find a way to tilt it up so it is points at your ears and not at your knees. EDIT: Actually, you don't need to bother tilting the cc-490 up towards you. At normal seating heights and distances, a listener's ears will be only 15 deg. off-axis. The cc-490 is designed to provide neutral sound at up to 30 deg. off-axis.

I hope this helps.

Because the cc-490 has a port in the rear and I felt that placing a ported speaker in an enclosed shelf might compromise the sound. EDIT: Now that you brought this up, I am thinking this wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page