Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1044 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > Speakers > Paradigm Owners Thread

Speakers

matt/E's Avatar matt/E
10:44 AM Liked: 10
post #31291 of 31317
01-28-2015 | Posts: 6
Joined: Feb 2007
Great thread! It's good to see so many Paradigm enthusiasts here...I am in the process of switching my main system over to Paradigm from Klipsch, just for a change. I currently have a pair of Monitor 9 v.6's and Studio 40 v.4s, both in cherry, that I'll be using in the front and I will be picking up a CC-290 v.6 center and a DSP-3200 sub this evening. I'm planning to get a pair of ADP surrounds, not exactly sure which model yet, hopefully 390's. I also have a pair of 3SE Mk ii's that I'll be using in my garage and a pair of Shift A2 powered monitors that I use for my computer, oh and a Cinema CC/ Cinema 70 v.2's in my bedroom

I'll post a pic as soon as I get them all set up.
Ricoflashback's Avatar Ricoflashback
01:42 PM Liked: 91
post #31292 of 31317
01-28-2015 | Posts: 1,018
Joined: Jan 2012
Congrats! And hear is the good news....the CC-690 will only get better!!! (pun intended)

To me, the Paradigm Studio CC-690 is one of the best, most versatile centers for music and movies.

Cross compatible with V.2 on up of the Studio main/surround speaker line.

Fabulous mid range with incredible clarity - - especially for dialog in movies. Seamless soundstage from left to center to right - it really pulls you into the action. Beefy "sound" but never overpowering.

From the faintest whisper to the loudest sounds - - the CC690 always delivers. Did you say you like multichannel, 5.1 music? A true joy to listen to all types of music.

Are you entertained??? Are you not entertained???

******************************************

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdogyyz View Post
I waited 6-7 weeks for my 690 to come in. Got it about a week and a half ago. Still breaking it in, but it sounds fantastic! Powerful and clear with a wonderful midrange and power to spare. I love to crank Floyds DSOTM SACD in 5.1 and what a difference with the 690 over my old CCV2. Running 100 V2's, SVS PB1000 sub and 20 V2 rears. It meshes very well- seamless. You won't be disappointed even though the wait is excruciating!






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

htpcforever's Avatar htpcforever
09:43 AM Liked: 128
post #31293 of 31317
01-29-2015 | Posts: 674
Joined: Jul 2014
So now that Paradigm is selling their speakers over the Internet, does that mean vendors can start doing the same? I refuse to pay MSRP for Paradigms (they are not worth that price) and I have only one "close" dealer (not very close) who knows he is the only one and gives no discounts. Selling online will put these speakers back down to a price they are worth buying at.
Spock1234's Avatar Spock1234
12:14 PM Liked: 25
post #31294 of 31317
01-29-2015 | Posts: 114
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfusco View Post
Wow! .... Just, wow!
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman
01:39 PM Liked: 630
post #31295 of 31317
01-29-2015 | Posts: 9,575
Joined: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
So now that Paradigm is selling their speakers over the Internet, does that mean vendors can start doing the same? I refuse to pay MSRP for Paradigms (they are not worth that price) and I have only one "close" dealer (not very close) who knows he is the only one and gives no discounts. Selling online will put these speakers back down to a price they are worth buying at.
I doubt it. The dealer I finally got my new Studio 20's from (a few hours away) couldn't get Paradigm to drop ship the speakers directly to my home even though the dealer was out of stock. The pair had to go to the dealer first, then the dealer could ship them to my home. I did receive them, but the extra shipping step was unnecessary IMHO. Did get the dealer's sale price, however.

Plus the fact Paradigm Direct doesn't seem to budge off MSRP.

It's messed up.
almo89's Avatar almo89
02:12 PM Liked: 22
post #31296 of 31317
01-29-2015 | Posts: 52
Joined: May 2008
Canadian dollar keeps tanking. I wonder how this will affect Paradigm pricing this year.
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman
02:27 PM Liked: 630
post #31297 of 31317
01-29-2015 | Posts: 9,575
Joined: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
Canadian dollar keeps tanking. I wonder how this will affect Paradigm pricing this year.
They'll keep raising them.
almo89's Avatar almo89
03:05 PM Liked: 22
post #31298 of 31317
01-29-2015 | Posts: 52
Joined: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
They'll keep raising them.
LOL. I remember this Canadian news clip and they said that Paradigm had to raise prices because of the strong dollar. Now that it's tanking, it should be cheaper haha. We'll never win.


htpcforever's Avatar htpcforever
05:42 PM Liked: 128
post #31299 of 31317
01-29-2015 | Posts: 674
Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I doubt it. The dealer I finally got my new Studio 20's from (a few hours away) couldn't get Paradigm to drop ship the speakers directly to my home even though the dealer was out of stock. The pair had to go to the dealer first, then the dealer could ship them to my home. I did receive them, but the extra shipping step was unnecessary IMHO. Did get the dealer's sale price, however.

Plus the fact Paradigm Direct doesn't seem to budge off MSRP.

It's messed up.
I can see the direct sales start hurting their dealers. It is as if Paradigm really does not like their own dealers.
Moparjoe
07:52 AM Liked: 1
post #31300 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 2015
buy of the month .... 16oz's of GLORY !!

http://www.costco.ca/Grand-Popper-45...100115374.html
Moparjoe
10:21 AM Liked: 1
post #31301 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 2015
http://www.costco.ca/Optoma%C2%AE-HD...100131514.html

well , I have the projector , popcorn machine ordered ...
My new Anthem 310 & MCA 50 is sitting on the A/V Stand
Just waiting for my 95F's fronts , 85F rears , 55CC to come in ...
then knock over stuff in the house that's not bolted down ......
matt/E's Avatar matt/E
11:36 AM Liked: 10
post #31302 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 6
Joined: Feb 2007
Does anyone else have a DSP-3200 sub? I just picked one up and I have to say that I'm not impressed at all with it...my cheaper Klipsch RW-12d absolutely blows it away, quite an unpleasant surprise
htpcforever's Avatar htpcforever
11:43 AM Liked: 128
post #31303 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 674
Joined: Jul 2014
16 oz is huge! I have a 4 oz popper and it is just right for a family of two.
Moparjoe
12:11 PM Liked: 1
post #31304 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 2015
I had an 8 oz and I make a LOT of popcorn for the local Lion's Club. I bring my projector and an old
Theater Screen (right out of a real movie theater) and we mount it up in the tennis courts. I make popcorn
regular and spicy (ghost peppers) and donate it all 4-5 times a year. Admission is FREE, we have sponsors
donate to the advertising ....
The 16 oz will cut my time in half ......
Richo's Avatar Richo
01:29 PM Liked: 10
post #31305 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 175
Joined: Jul 2002
Hey guys, can I get you opinions as Paradigm owners on these config options? Room is 12'w x 17'd x 22' sloping to 17'h ceiling with fairly open floorplan. Center has to go on the fireplace mantel which is why I'm looking at the two specific centers listed. Listening is 95% movie/tv, 5% music. Sadly, local dealer doesn't have his auditioning room set up to hear any of these as they recently moved their shop. So again, really could use input.


Option 1:
Rcvr: TBD (thinking Onkyo 636 or Denon X4000)
Monitor 7 towers
Cinema 200 center
Surround 1 surrounds
Sub: TBD (SVS-PB1000 or HSU VTF-2 MK4)

Option 2:
Rcvr: TBD (see above)
Monitor 9 towers
Millenia 20 center
Surround 1 surrounds
Sub: TBD (see above)
globalgreg's Avatar globalgreg
01:50 PM Liked: 25
post #31306 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 509
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
Hey guys, can I get you opinions as Paradigm owners on these config options? Room is 12'w x 17'd x 22' sloping to 17'h ceiling with fairly open floorplan. Center has to go on the fireplace mantel which is why I'm looking at the two specific centers listed. Listening is 95% movie/tv, 5% music. Sadly, local dealer doesn't have his auditioning room set up to hear any of these as they recently moved their shop. So again, really could use input.


Option 1:
Rcvr: TBD (thinking Onkyo 636 or Denon X4000)
Monitor 7 towers
Cinema 200 center
Surround 1 surrounds
Sub: TBD (SVS-PB1000 or HSU VTF-2 MK4)

Option 2:
Rcvr: TBD (see above)
Monitor 9 towers
Millenia 20 center
Surround 1 surrounds
Sub: TBD (see above)
Regarding the receivers...I'd go with the X4000 because it has Audyssey XT32 which is a lot better than Audyssey XT and Onkyo's AccuEQ. Pro for the Onkyo would be that it supports Dolby Atmos. If you want Atmos the AVR-X4100W is basically the X4000 with Atmos.
Richo's Avatar Richo
03:01 PM Liked: 10
post #31307 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 175
Joined: Jul 2002
Thanks globalgreg, push comes to shove, I'd rather budget the difference towards speakers. SO, does anyone have thoughts on the speaker choices I'm looking at and how they might work together as a system?
tritiumglo's Avatar tritiumglo
03:11 PM Liked: 46
post #31308 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 355
Joined: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt/E View Post
Does anyone else have a DSP-3200 sub? I just picked one up and I have to say that I'm not impressed at all with it...my cheaper Klipsch RW-12d absolutely blows it away, quite an unpleasant surprise
Had a pair of 3400s. The problem with the DSP series is Paradigm used software in the amp to limit low frequency response. Mine fell flat on their faces at ~25hz. I called Paradigm about it. They said it was to limit over excursion and port noise. I normally keep all of my audio toys but these were sold. ML and some others are doing this too. Buyer beware.
matt/E's Avatar matt/E
03:27 PM Liked: 10
post #31309 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 6
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
Had a pair of 3400s. The problem with the DSP series is Paradigm used software in the amp to limit low frequency response. Mine fell flat on their faces at ~25hz. I called Paradigm about it. They said it was to limit over excursion and port noise. I normally keep all of my audio toys but these were sold. ML and some others are doing this too. Buyer beware.

Well that would explain it...looks like I'll be putting it up for sale after owning it for 2 days, or I may decide to swap the amp for a BASH 500S
tritiumglo's Avatar tritiumglo
04:27 PM Liked: 46
post #31310 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 355
Joined: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt/E View Post
Well that would explain it...looks like I'll be putting it up for sale after owning it for 2 days, or I may decide to swap the amp for a BASH 500S
You cannot believe Paradigm specs. My 3400s were supposed to extend to 18 hz. This was an absolute lie. When I played test tones through them a 20 hz tone did not even make it to the driver.

I have two setups. The HT is using 2 sealed IDMAX 12s being driven by Carver using NHT active crossover.
The second is a 2 channel using ID12 slot ported box driven by an O Audio plate amp.
Both of these Image Dynamics setups destroy the Paradigms I had. Image Dynamics is more articulate and extends much deeper than the Paradigms. The IDMAX subs destroy anything Paradigm has to offer and Ive heard them all.

If you are unwilling to go DIY, I would buy HSU or SVS. There are a couple other recommendations floating around on AVS but Ive heard those and I know they are good.
Walker2's Avatar Walker2
05:06 PM Liked: 17
post #31311 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 57
Joined: Dec 2010
I picked up my 690 from the shop today. Paradigm replaced 2 drivers and was under warranty. Just not sure which ones. I really have to stay away from there. I'm starting to justify buying the tributes.
skads_187's Avatar skads_187
05:16 PM Liked: 13
post #31312 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 105
Joined: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
They'll keep raising them.

Here's the worst part , speakers in general that are made in Canada, we end up paying more than what you pay in the US. Try and figure that one out.
htpcforever's Avatar htpcforever
07:10 PM Liked: 128
post #31313 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 674
Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by skads_187 View Post
Here's the worst part , speakers in general that are made in Canada, we end up paying more than what you pay in the US. Try and figure that one out.
I never did understand that one...but I have seen it many times. When I was in Japan, I wanted to pick up some Japanese electronics locally and found their prices to be MUCH higher than in the US.
Skytrooper's Avatar Skytrooper
07:25 PM Liked: 88
post #31314 of 31317
Yesterday | Posts: 570
Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
I never did understand that one...but I have seen it many times. When I was in Japan, I wanted to pick up some Japanese electronics locally and found their prices to be MUCH higher than in the US.
When I was on that side of the world fourty some years ago, we would place orders thru the PX. We were able to get stuff for like half price thru Japan. A audiophiles dream.
tritiumglo's Avatar tritiumglo
12:15 AM Liked: 46
post #31315 of 31317
Today | Posts: 355
Joined: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker2 View Post
I picked up my 690 from the shop today. Paradigm replaced 2 drivers and was under warranty. Just not sure which ones. I really have to stay away from there. I'm starting to justify buying the tributes.
The Tributes are easy to justify. The are the finest towers Pdigm has ever made IMO. They are becoming hard to find.
309antonios
08:03 AM Liked: 1
post #31316 of 31317
Today | Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 2014
I ordered my CC-690 last night. I wasn't quite ready to buy it yet but the dealer was wicked cool as he wanted to make sure I got it in cherry before it was too late! Should have it in a few weeks! Very excited to match it with the 100s!
Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman
09:32 AM Liked: 630
post #31317 of 31317
Today | Posts: 9,575
Joined: Jul 2000
Anyone have experience with the Studio Esprit v.4 on-wall's?

I was thinking that they might work for Atmos or DTS:X overheads if properly mounted unless the reviews are bad. I see them for sale on the used market from time to time.
Tags: Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3