Forum Jump: 
 158Likes
post #31321 of 31323 Unread Today, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello!

Long time lurker here, working on a general purpose basement remodel / man cave.

When picking up my TV today, the shop I go to had a demo pair of Studio 20's for $950. I wasn't planning on replacing my speakers, but I can't stop thinking about how much nicer those would look than my V1 Phantoms. It's probably safe to assume they will sound better too, although the Phantoms have been good to me. Assuming my old cc-150 won't cut it next to the 20's, so I'll be forced to get a new center. Since none of this was in the budget, I'm thinking cc-590 for the center and then continue to use my ADP-170 v.3s for the surrounds.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31322 of 31323 Unread Today, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by synodontis View Post
grasshoppers - thanks for the comments.
Before I go on,
Question: could I ask you what you enjoy and how you evaluate your sub(s) for your use in mostly music - what makes the investment worthwhile, as in your case you say you have 3 subs. What are you getting that your towers don't provide - mine seem awesome even in this humungous room of mine.
I researched this for a while and do believe I need 2 subs, which is what I heard from several people, including the folks at Rythmik and PSA. The issue I have with the Rythmik, for example, is a financial one and location one. Ideally I would have loved to get 2 - of their 15" sealed, but even the cheaper F12, with shipping to a US warehouse where I can drive in under 30 minutes from my home in Canada, the cost is $975 US each, plus exchange at 25% and I'm at $1250 for the F12 plus whatever they charge me at the border for bringing it into Canada. Once here, if there is an issue/defect/service I'm up the creek and issues can and do happen. Hence, why I took the Paradigm route. In my city, there aren't a lot of alternatives. I looked at PSA as well and same cross-border issues. ID sub wise, we have SVS in Canada and at the same ballpark pricepoint the option would be 2 - SB2000.
I think from what I have read that I would probably be better off with 2 subs,
Question: do you think a second Ultracube 12 would achieve much? I know I'm still not going to be putting out pounding LFE with the space, it's an unrealistic challenge, unless funds are unlimited which isn't my case. I had set around $2K to get the sub(s) purchased, which is what the 2 Ultracubes will cost me, just a little over as I got a decent discount with everything I purchased from the dealer.
Thanks
How about 2 Studio 12s? One now and one down the road? Seems you want to stick with Paradigm. My only personal home experience with a sub is a Paradigm Sub 2 so I am biased. The Sub 12 should dig deeper and louder than the ultrasub. My dealer let me borrow a sub 12 while my Sub 2 was on order and it was a night and day difference with movies compared to no sub at all. I don't listen to a lot of music down there even though I should. Even with the Sub 2, I would love to get a second one for the room to smooth out some response issues. My room isn't ideal. It is open in the back to the front foyer where my front door is which is also open to the upstairs since that is where the stairs are for the second floor plus in the right side of the room right in the middle I had a hallway that leads to the laundry room and garage.

With that being said, if I had a different room I would love to try some other brands but the Sub 2 was small enough to fit where I needed it to fit and a second one might fit too but something like a Submersive might not and I really want to try one of those terraform XLs. And PBK is a bonus.

Last edited by rwheelwright; Today at 06:11 PM.
post #31323 of 31323 Unread Today, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
re pricing strangeness........this is known as "Country Pricing".

I ordered a CC690 today as it was the last day that the dealer (I'm in Canada) can order any Studio series as Paradigm is shutting down production. I previously had ordered the CC690 and 100's in Rosenut but had to get out of it after they sent two sets of each that were had an unacceptable finish.

I will be getting the Black Ash version which will perfectly match (color, and sonically) with my 4 Energy RC-70's and 2 RC-50's. I hope there will not be issue with the regular Black Ash finish.

If you want these Studio speakers new.......now is the time. Oh, and yes I agree with some others here that the CC690 sonically is one of the best speakers of all time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page