Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1054 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > Speakers > Paradigm Owners Thread

Speakers

mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex
07:31 AM Liked: 382
post #31591 of 31602
Today | Posts: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
AFAIK, banana plugs are illegal in the EU, so most likely Paradigm is blocking them for that reason. They are easily removed for those who wish to use banana plugs.

Curious, why banana plugs illegal in EU?

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
globalgreg's Avatar globalgreg
09:15 AM Liked: 25
post #31592 of 31602
Today | Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Curious, why banana plugs illegal in EU?

They can plug in to their outlets since they're shaped similar.
htpcforever's Avatar htpcforever
10:03 AM Liked: 152
post #31593 of 31602
Today | Posts: 755
Yes, that is what I heard. There are people who do not know that speakers should be plugged into your receiver and not the power outlet on the wall...then cause explosions and fires when they plug them into the wall outlet. The double set fits perfectly (or so I have read) and the singles will fit one at a time. Even the grounded outlets are not safe from banana plug stupidity, since the grounding prong is simply ignored.

Although I just read there IS a legal version of the banana plug in Europe now, it has a plastic prong sticking out to the side of the banana plug where it will not interfere with using it in a binding post but will prevent it from being stuck into an outlet.

mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex
12:14 PM Liked: 382
post #31594 of 31602
Today | Posts: 5,061
^^ hey thanks, truly, I never knew this.
http://www.worldstandards.eu/electri...s-and-sockets/

Dan Hitchman's Avatar Dan Hitchman
12:27 PM Liked: 679
post #31595 of 31602
Today | Posts: 9,761
Well, I just heard back from Paradigm about my new yet cosmetically flawed Studio 20's. They're offering me $300 off the pair.

To the Paradigm community, I put to you, does that seem like a fair deal?
almo89's Avatar almo89
12:44 PM Liked: 22
post #31596 of 31602
Today | Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Well, I just heard back from Paradigm about my new yet cosmetically flawed Studio 20's. They're offering me $300 off the pair.

How flawed does it look?
decibels's Avatar decibels
01:39 PM Liked: 7
post #31597 of 31602
Today | Posts: 101
Quote:

If the flaws are purely cosmetic and you are able to live with them then no reason why you wouldn't accept the offer. I have a dent in the corner of my 20's that is very visible and I see it once in a while and think nothing of it now. At first it would bother me even though I got a great deal on the speakers because of the damage...now I don't really care because they sound so awesome!!
01:48 PM Liked: 679
post #31598 of 31602
Quote:
Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
How flawed does it look?
There are dark scuff marks in the finish on both sides of each speaker. When you shine a bright light on them the marks really stand out (like when I took a flash photo of them to send to Paradigm). However, under "normal" lighting they're not quite as noticeable.
deewan's Avatar deewan
02:14 PM Liked: 82
post #31599 of 31602
Today | Posts: 1,372
Quote:
There are dark scuff marks in the finish on both sides of each speaker. When you shine a bright light on them the marks really stand out (like when I took a flash photo of them to send to Paradigm). However, under "normal" lighting they're not quite as noticeable.
Then to me it seems like a very fair deal. I'd take it and run.
htpcforever's Avatar htpcforever
02:19 PM Liked: 152
post #31600 of 31602
Today | Posts: 755
I would send them back and buy some used Millenia 200s that are in perfect condition.....but that is just me.

In seriousness, if they do not bother you, take the money and keep them. If they are going to nag at your forever, get them replaced.
Ricoflashback's Avatar Ricoflashback
07:58 PM Liked: 96
post #31601 of 31602
Today | Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
Yes, that is what I heard. There are people who do not know that speakers should be plugged into your receiver and not the power outlet on the wall...then cause explosions and fires when they plug them into the wall outlet. The double set fits perfectly (or so I have read) and the singles will fit one at a time. Even the grounded outlets are not safe from banana plug stupidity, since the grounding prong is simply ignored.

Although I just read there IS a legal version of the banana plug in Europe now, it has a plastic prong sticking out to the side of the banana plug where it will not interfere with using it in a binding post but will prevent it from being stuck into an outlet.

Looks like those banana plugs will fit in snugly to the EU socket!

I'm trying to figure out how a plastic prong could work and my only thought is that it is U shaped to where it would stop you from plugging in by hitting the wall plate somehow.

No ground? (Three prong outlet?) For you EU Electricians out there. :>)
08:26 PM Liked: 679
post #31602 of 31602
As a followup I decided to go with the $300 refund. Thanks for your opinions.
Tags: Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread