post #31741 of 31765 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by babak147 View Post
So if the version is not mentioned is it safe to assume it V1?
Probably correct. The V2 and V3 speakers also have a
'mesh' type screen protecting the tweeter. V1 doesn't.
(thats how I always tell)

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31742 of 31765 Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
When I spoke to the Paradigm folks at a recent event that is exactly what they indicated without giving any real details. They are bringing back the curved look for a special line and also bringing in a powered speaker line...both could be in the same speaker??
My hunch is that going back to the square look for all but the most expensive Signature (and forthcoming higher-end) line is a move that allows them to produce the cabinets in house rather than farm this out. Building high-quality square-sided cabinets is far easier than building high-quality curved ones, resulting in fewer final-inspection rejections and waste. And the curved look, while beautiful to look at, does little to improve performance. ..Now I know some will chime in and say that curving the sidewalls reduce interior reflections and reduces vibrations etc, but those issues can be dealt with in other ways. ..IMHO, more than anything, curving the cabinets is done for aesthetic reasons and it comes at a high price. Since they moved cabinet manufacturing from China, where labor costs are low, to Canada, they needed to make some cost-to-build concessions in order to keep prices near par w/ Studio line and competitors.

Bottomline: Sound-wise, I think the Prestige line is a step up from the Studio line, even if appearance-wise, it's a step back.
Scarriere likes this.

Last edited by syd123; Yesterday at 02:18 PM.
post #31743 of 31765 Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post
Bottomline: Sound-wise, I think the Prestige line is a step up from the Studio line, even if appearance-wise, it's a step back.
I think that's the key for most of us. Although, I have to admit that I like the new walnut & midnight cherry finishes... at least from the stock pics. I haven't seen them in person.

UNAVol
------------------------------------
There's nothing to see here.
post #31744 of 31765 Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've heard stories similar to the above for the Signature replacements. Prices will undoubtedly go up.
Since the v3 Sig line is coming to an end at some point, my next move is selling my v2 S4s and getting a pair of v3 S6s to mate with my C3. This should hold me for a while.

Last edited by 519audiofan; Yesterday at 04:42 PM.
post #31745 of 31765 Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question for 7.2 configuration.

Anyone running or have experience with a 7 channel setup with couch against the back wall? I have 2 adp 590s on the wall behind the couch, and 2 more on the side walls that are perpendicular to the wall behind the couch. I'm wondering if replacing the side wall 590s with Studio 20s would be better. Or would the 20s just blend in with the 590s on the back wall?
post #31746 of 31765 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well I got everything set up tonight and although the room is not ideal for a surround sound it still sounds amazing.

syd123 likes this.

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 | Oppo BDP-105D | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote
post #31747 of 31765 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavol View Post
I think that's the key for most of us. Although, I have to admit that I like the new walnut & midnight cherry finishes... at least from the stock pics. I haven't seen them in person.
I chose the black walnut, the most boring of the 4 finishes

I should have mentioned in my prior post that while I agree the Studio line does look better I do believe the Prestige speakers are superbly built. The cabinet and driver fit/ finish is absolutely flawless. ..So while it may not look as impressive, people should have little doubt about how well they're made. ..Building the cabinets in house probably gives Paradigm a tighter grip on quality control
post #31748 of 31765 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post
Well I got everything set up tonight and although the room is not ideal for a surround sound it still sounds amazing.

Nice!! Is that your Oppo sitting on top of the amp? That will generate a lot of heat and will not be good in the long run...otherwise looks great!!

HT: Pioneer SC-85, Oppo BDP-103, PS3
OSD ATM-7
2CH: Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
Paradigm Studio 60's, Studio CC, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, Ultracube 10 SW
post #31749 of 31765 Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:

No chance of raising the TV and putting the center on the mantle?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #31750 of 31765 Old Today, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
Nice!! Is that your Oppo sitting on top of the amp? That will generate a lot of heat and will not be good in the long run...otherwise looks great!!
Thank you decibels!! Yes, I have the Oppo on top of the 2 channel amp. Its not ideal but there is a ton of ventilation in the back and I am running a small fan on both sides of the cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
No chance of raising the TV and putting the center on the mantle?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
Zero chance. The shelf is about 8 inches long and the 690 is well... Much larger. I looked at this room a million times and based on where we're sitting it still is firing right at us Not the way I imagined the room but it still sounds great,

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 | Oppo BDP-105D | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote
post #31751 of 31765 Old Today, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Thank you decibels!! Yes, I have the Oppo on top of the 2 channel amp. Its not ideal but there is a ton of ventilation in the back and I am running a small fan on both sides of the cabinet.

Zero chance. The shelf is about 8 inches long and the 690 is well... Much larger. I looked at this room a million times and based on where we're sitting it still is firing right at us Not the way I imagined the room but it still sounds great,

I have the same issue at my house. I ordered my 690 with the stand and will put it in front of the fireplace. Who needs the fireplace anyway????
DenonLover and whitey019 like this.
post #31752 of 31765 Old Today, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean122601 View Post
I have the same issue at my house. I ordered my 690 with the stand and will put it in front of the fireplace. Who needs the fireplace anyway????
Exactly, if you want the 690 then you are going to need to make some concessions.
dean122601 likes this.

post #31753 of 31765 Old Today, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 94
My friend tore out his fireplace to make room for his Home Theater. I tried to talk my friend who lives in Florida into doing the same.

Who needs a fireplace in Florida?
dean122601 likes this.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #31754 of 31765 Old Today, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Why not rotate the room and put the TV in front of the window on a stand?

PSN ID: javant86

post #31755 of 31765 Old Today, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Exactly, if you want the 690 then you are going to need to make some concessions.
From an imaging standpoint, you'd be better off running a phantom center than having the center way off in the corner like that. You really need to get that 690 between the mains to make everything sound like it should.

Nice looking room BTW.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

UNAVol
post #31756 of 31765 Old Today, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Why not rotate the room and put the TV in front of the window on a stand?
The room is tough but we actually like it the way it is and both my wife and I had to make concessions to get what we wanted in our new home. Just moved in 5 months ago and was able to get all of the power supplies in that room on their own circuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavol View Post
From an imaging standpoint, you'd be better off running a phantom center than having the center way off in the corner like that. You really need to get that 690 between the mains to make everything sound like it should.

Nice looking room BTW.
Thanks kamouflage! I will see if I take take a better photo and show you that the center speaker is exactly tha same distance as if it were between the speakers and the fireplace and in some ways points directly at more of the listeners where it is now. Do I want it there? Hell no Will it be staying there. Yes for now.

post #31757 of 31765 Old Today, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have an opinion as to how the Paradigm Prestige line stacks up against to the SVS Ultra range?
post #31758 of 31765 Old Today, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
The room is tough but we actually like it the way it is and both my wife and I had to make concessions to get what we wanted in our new home. Just moved in 5 months ago and was able to get all of the power supplies in that room on their own circuits.

Thanks kamouflage! I will see if I take take a better photo and show you that the center speaker is exactly tha same distance as if it were between the speakers and the fireplace and in some ways points directly at more of the listeners where it is now. Do I want it there? Hell no Will it be staying there. Yes for now.

I also have to lend my strong support for getting a good stand for your CC-690 and placing it in between the left and right in front of the fireplace (who really needs a fireplace anyway? They just poor in cold air and suck out the heat). It completely throws off the front stage imaging and stereo spread. This is coming from a student of audio mixing.
DenonLover likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #31759 of 31765 Old Today, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
When I look at modern condo designs, fireplaces are always placed in the worst spots for us home theater and audio guys. They should just make electric fireplaces on wheels or something. That way we can just cart it out of the way
dean122601 likes this.
post #31760 of 31765 Old Today, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Put the stand castors and roll it in and out of the way of the fireplace when you feel the need to be romantic ....
post #31761 of 31765 Old Today, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparjoe View Post
Put the stand castors and roll it in and out of the way of the fireplace when you feel the need to be romantic ....
However, the left and right speakers are close enough to get too much heatwave splash when the fire is roaring in the hearth. Not good for them either.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #31762 of 31765 Old Today, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
When I look at modern condo designs, fireplaces are always placed in the worst spots for us home theater and audio guys. They should just make electric fireplaces on wheels or something. That way we can just cart it out of the way
I think they should replace the fireplace with a wall mounted CC 690 with appropriate room for a LCD/LED/OLED/Plasma TV above.

That way, guys who really want a home theater in the first place can say, "Darling, but this condo model that you love so much comes standard with the CC 690. We MUST finish the room with the appropriate HT Theater System."

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #31763 of 31765 Old Today, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post
I chose the black walnut, the most boring of the 4 finishes

I should have mentioned in my prior post that while I agree the Studio line does look better I do believe the Prestige speakers are superbly built. The cabinet and driver fit/ finish is absolutely flawless. ..So while it may not look as impressive, people should have little doubt about how well they're made. ..Building the cabinets in house probably gives Paradigm a tighter grip on quality control
The reflective finishes are attractive, but reflections can be quite distracting in dark rooms. You won't have that problem with the black ash finish, so boring can be advantageous IMO.

UNAVol
post #31764 of 31765 Unread Today, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
The distance is irrelevant since one can compensate for that in the AVR setup. The position you have it in is corrupting the soundstage. The soundstage would undoubtedly improve if you simply disconnected it and used a phantom center.

Or put it in the fireplace.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #31765 of 31765 Unread Today, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
The distance is irrelevant since one can compensate for that in the AVR setup. The position you have it in is corrupting the soundstage. The soundstage would undoubtedly improve if you simply disconnected it and used a phantom center.

Or put it in the fireplace.
It ain't happening. Its really simple, sound stage or divorce where she takes half. Trust me, I fought this battle and lost this fight.

photoupload

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page