Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1068 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 365Likes
post #32011 of 32039 Old 04-30-2015, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrasaurus View Post
Hello Paradigm owners.

I've recently bought a house that is coming with a projector/screen combo and has prompted me into purchasing a HT setup. I've decided I'd like to drop some decent money and have a system I will enjoy for years to come. My previous experience with HT is basically nil, I have have been only 'enjoying' 2.1 setups from computer speakers at best, or TV speakers. My usage will be primarily Movies/Gaming with about 25% audio.

My local dealer sells Paradigm as their top end, and to my virgin ears they (Monitor setup) sound amazing! They're also giving me a pretty good deal (~25-30% off MSRP) if I buy a full package. I do not have an opportunity to demo any other paradigm speakers The following scenario will be paired with an Anthem MRX 710.

Scenario #1 – X Dollars

Monitor 11
Mini Monitor
Monitor Center 3

Scenario #2 X + 4500

Prestige 85F
Prestige 55C
Mini Monitor

Scenario #3 X + ~1000
Used Studio 100V5
???Center
Mini monitor[/LIST]
Much to consider. ..When you listen to music, how do you listen? I'm a music obsessive; I listen sitting down doing nothing else but possibly watching tennis or reading. I care a great deal about how my system sounds when listening to music, so I spent heavily on my two front speakers which are all I use. With movies, I care much less about this as I'm focused on the movie not tiny aural nuances (sounds corny, i know) ..And if this system is used more for movies, how loud? If you like it cranked up then you'll want speakers with a higher power handling and dynamics (like the studios).

But I must say, whether this system is for movies or music, you'll be very unhappy if you put tower speakers up on those shelves. The tweeters need to be near ear height. If you're forced to put the speakers on the shelf, then you're better off with bookshelf speakers. The problem with this is power handling. ..bookshelfs typically have far lower power handling. ..Going this route, subwoofers become even more essential.

McIntosh MA6600 Integrated amp (for 2-ch) | Onkyo TX-NR1030 AVR (TV/ Movies) | Paradigm Sig S8 v2's (front) | Paradigm Prestige 55C (Center) | Boston Acoustics Bravo 20 speakers (rear) | 2010 Technics SL-1200mk2 Turntable w/ AudioTechnica 440mla cartridge | Mac Mini Music Server | Emotiva XDA-2 DAC | Logitech Touch SB | Samsung PN58B860 Plasma TV

Last edited by syd123; 04-30-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32012 of 32039 Old 04-30-2015, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As per grilles on the speakers - My wife prefers them ... I like them nude .... take the covers off ...
post #32013 of 32039 Old 04-30-2015, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post
In any case, nearly EVERYONE who is not an audio geek will leave the covers on, so why does this matter so much?
And even some of us audio geeks. I always leave the grills on. I couldn't care less what the cones look like. I want my speakers to be heard, not seen. I look at the physical presence of speakers as a nuisance. Something that just takes up space and collects dust. In the end the vast majority of them are just boxes. That said, if I must display a box, at least I'd like an interesting box. Granted, that always makes the price go up, so it's a trade-off.
Ishniknork likes this.
post #32014 of 32039 Old 04-30-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrasaurus
. . .
Scenario #3 X + ~1000
Used Studio 100V5
???Center
Mini monitor
. . .
If you are considering going this route, get the CC-690 for your center speaker. I've demo'd the -590 and IMO the -690 is a noticeably better (and better-sounding) speaker.

Also, snag yourself a pair of gently-used Studio 20s (v5 or v4) or Studio 10s for surround duty.
post #32015 of 32039 Old 04-30-2015, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
But I must say, whether this system is for movies or music, you'll be very unhappy if you put tower speakers up on those shelves. The tweeters need to be near ear height. If you're forced to put the speakers on the shelf, then you're better off with bookshelf speakers. The problem with this is power handling. ..bookshelfs typically have far lower power handling. ..Going this route, subwoofers become even more essential.
So to this end would you recommend spending the same money and getting Signature Bookshelves if they're going on the shelf, and a higher powered sub?

I imagine having a Prestige 95F on the floor would be the better alternative, but then I need to think of something to put on those shelves!

Thank you for your comments.
post #32016 of 32039 Old 04-30-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
So to this end would you recommend spending the same money and getting Signature Bookshelves if they're going on the shelf, and a higher powered sub?

I imagine having a Prestige 95F on the floor would be the better alternative, but then I need to think of something to put on those shelves!

Check your P.M.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #32017 of 32039 Old 04-30-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hi all,

I can't seem to find anyone with experience with the paradigm in-wall reference series, SA-LCR 3s. I'm in the middle of a new construction home theater build and the local AV shop sells paradigm primarily. In-walls are a must for me for various reasons, but the room is 14.5' wide and 17' long with an open back. I'd just like some opinions before I spend all that $$$ on speakers with black-boxes built into the walls, etc. Thanks!
post #32018 of 32039 Old 04-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think 95F's on the floor would be better than Sig S2 bookshelves given the very large volume of the room. And the 95F sound very good, quite close the Signatures IMHO. As for those shelves, I'd find another use - maybe art pieces, etc...

McIntosh MA6600 Integrated amp (for 2-ch) | Onkyo TX-NR1030 AVR (TV/ Movies) | Paradigm Sig S8 v2's (front) | Paradigm Prestige 55C (Center) | Boston Acoustics Bravo 20 speakers (rear) | 2010 Technics SL-1200mk2 Turntable w/ AudioTechnica 440mla cartridge | Mac Mini Music Server | Emotiva XDA-2 DAC | Logitech Touch SB | Samsung PN58B860 Plasma TV
post #32019 of 32039 Old 04-30-2015, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Some have commented that the new Prestige Series are too "Blingy". ..Not sure what that means exactly, but looking at both side by side it's hard to understand what they find so objectionable. In fact, I'd think many objective observers would say the Studios - with their gold dust caps and white midrange cones - look more ostentatious than the Prestiges, no? I realize that the Prestiges lack the rounded back but so too did the Studios up until v5.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the studios myself, although the finish (midnight Cherry specifically) does look nicer than anything from the Studio line. It does make you wonder though. For all the years of the Studios, and Signatures for that matter, we were told that the different materials for the various drivers was purposeful......not anymore I guess.
post #32020 of 32039 Old 04-30-2015, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highplainsdakota View Post
Hi all,

I can't seem to find anyone with experience with the paradigm in-wall reference series, SA-LCR 3s. I'm in the middle of a new construction home theater build and the local AV shop sells paradigm primarily. In-walls are a must for me for various reasons, but the room is 14.5' wide and 17' long with an open back. I'd just like some opinions before I spend all that $$$ on speakers with black-boxes built into the walls, etc. Thanks!
I seen your other thread and have used the three brands you are considering as well as others. All three are very good, but with your horizontal placement of the center I'd go with Paradigm or Atlantic Tech since the midrange/ tweeter can be arrangde horizontally. I'd give the edge to Paradigm. If you go Paradigm I would order soon as the SA series is due to be replaced soon. I don't think the new ones are two way speakers only and if you need to place them horizontally you won't have the vertical midrange/ tweeter layout.
post #32021 of 32039 Old 05-01-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
I seen your other thread and have used the three brands you are considering as well as others. All three are very good, but with your horizontal placement of the center I'd go with Paradigm or Atlantic Tech since the midrange/ tweeter can be arrangde horizontally. I'd give the edge to Paradigm. If you go Paradigm I would order soon as the SA series is due to be replaced soon. I don't think the new ones are two way speakers only and if you need to place them horizontally you won't have the vertical midrange/ tweeter layout.
This is very interesting. Because of the price point of the paradigms (3 LCR and 2 surround only for $8000), I would buy the black boxes now and install them during the room build, waiting a few months to buy the speakers. What kind of certainty do we have that they are changing? Is it worth me going to an Acoustically transparent screen and waiting for the newer paradigm in walls? Thanks for the input!
post #32022 of 32039 Old 05-01-2015, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
This is very interesting. Because of the price point of the paradigms (3 LCR and 2 surround only for $8000), I would buy the black boxes now and install them during the room build, waiting a few months to buy the speakers. What kind of certainty do we have that they are changing? Is it worth me going to an Acoustically transparent screen and waiting for the newer paradigm in walls? Thanks for the input!
Hi Highlands,

The AMS and SA are currently being phased out for the new lines. The LCR3 does not have a direct replacement in the new line. I have information regarding what is happening with previous models at the office but I cannot remember the particulars of the LCR3 off the top of my head.

Send an email in to our support inbox, address it to John and I'll get the details for you on Monday.

Have a good weekend everyone!
post #32023 of 32039 Old 05-02-2015, 06:03 AM

Here is Paradigm's announcement of the new line. It also has a slide show and from the look of the new speaker it appears there is no direct replacement for LCR3 as John stated. I am sure the new speakers will perform well but you will not have the vertically arranged midrange/tweeter if putting your speaker below the screen.
http://www.cepro.com/article/paradig...s_audio_system

There are always some tradeoffs in building a HT and since I do this for a living I am well versed in many of these aspects. IMHO, using an AT screen is the way to go. You give up a tiny amount in picture quality over a non-AT screen but you gain a huge amount in audio quality. Having all three speakers at the same height is a huge audio upgrade. Also with 2 rows of seats and your planned 8" riser your second row might not have a clear view of a center channel if placed below the screen. If you can't see the speaker you are not getting direct sound and it will seriously degrade thee audio experience. If you have do go with a center below the screen it is recommended that you keep the center's height within 6 degrees of the left and right speakers to maintain good horizontal panning of sound across the front soundstage. With 9' first row that means the speakers tweeter should be less than a foot apart vertically. So you would probably have to raise the height of your screen above ideal viewing and depending on the screen material that could degrade picture quality. With two rows and a non-AT screen another solution is to put all three speakers above the screen and angle them at the listening area but you would not be able to use in wall speakers.

So back to the AT screen. With 9' viewing for first row I would look at Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K material or if on more of a budget their Seymour UF fabric. The latter is not as bright so make sure you have a projector with enough calibrated lumens to light it up. Most other AT screens you will probably be able to notice the texture of the screen material at 9' first row, that is why I recommended those two materials.
post #32024 of 32039 Old 05-02-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
So back to the AT screen. With 9' viewing for first row I would look at Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K material or if on more of a budget their Seymour UF fabric. The latter is not as bright so make sure you have a projector with enough calibrated lumens to light it up. Most other AT screens you will probably be able to notice the texture of the screen material at 9' first row, that is why I recommended those two materials.

Falcon has a new 4k (Vision Horizon) screen that's really nice, Beastaudio has one. It was very easy to assemble and displayed a great picture.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #32025 of 32039 Old 05-02-2015, 11:30 AM

I don't suppose they're letting go of any sigs or sa in walls on the cheap?
post #32026 of 32039 Old 05-02-2015, 11:34 AM

I know this isn't the screen thread, but with your experience of those AT screen fabrics will I have problems viewing a 4K projector from 9 feet? That was my biggest concern. If I go with the long play and wait for a 4K proj to come down on price and the screen won't work with it, my speakers will already be in the wall as we're building now
post #32027 of 32039 Old 05-02-2015, 01:59 PM

The 4K will work fine with most AT screens. The problem with many AT screens is you see the texture/ weave/ perforations of the material when you sit close. The materials I mentioned you won't have a problem at 9 feet. If your first row was further back there are other materials you could use where their texture is not be noticeable at further distances.

Last edited by Ellebob; 05-02-2015 at 02:04 PM.
post #32028 of 32039 Old 05-02-2015, 11:10 PM

Thank you all so much for the replies. I await an email back from the paradigm rep/worker who is supposed to get me some better information about the fate of the current SA LCR 3s. What really burns me is my local paradigm dealer (really one of the only audio dealers in my area unfortunately) hasn't mentioned a GD word about this to me. Makes me really lose faith in the guy I'm dealing with to put some audio/video in my home. I want to do this right the first time, and I don't mind paying for it within reason, but if he is selling me speakers that will be eclipsed in the next few months without any notification? WOW
post #32029 of 32039 Old 05-03-2015, 06:48 AM

I wouldn't be too hard on the dealer. That link I posted is the only thing I have seen on it, so he might not have seen it. I don't think the dealers have heard anything official from Paradigm yet.
post #32030 of 32039 Old 05-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What really burns me is my local paradigm dealer (really one of the only audio dealers in my area unfortunately) hasn't mentioned a GD word about this to me. Makes me really lose faith in the guy I'm dealing with to put some audio/video in my home. I want to do this right the first time, and I don't mind paying for it within reason, but if he is selling me speakers that will be eclipsed in the next few months without any notification? WOW
As I see it the dealer's obligation is to honestly and appropriately sell you products that are currently available ..I don't think he is obligated to first inform you of upcoming new models before accepting an order for what is available today. Now if you ask if a model will soon be replaced and he wittingly lies about it, well... that's a different matter.

post #32031 of 32039 Old 05-03-2015, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm fairly new to this so please bear with me. Have a question about my Paradigm speakers and wondering if this is normal or not.

Recently purchased an ex-demo set of Paradigm Studio 100 V5 and have been using REW eq to calibrate the speakers. I will run a 20Hz-15000KHz sweep to plot a frequency response graph to get an idea of what my speakers are doing in the room.

During this process I notice that during the low frequency pass, only the middle bass driver has some form of excursion visible to my eye. The bass drivers on either side do not move, at least to my eye and what i can see. This is true of both speakers. I always assumed to my limited knowledge that all the bass drivers would move in unison and act identically since they are receiving a signal below a certain frequency due to the internal crossover.

Is there something wrong with my speakers or am I just being paranoid?
post #32032 of 32039 Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Thank you all so much for the replies. I await an email back from the paradigm rep/worker who is supposed to get me some better information about the fate of the current SA LCR 3s. What really burns me is my local paradigm dealer (really one of the only audio dealers in my area unfortunately) hasn't mentioned a GD word about this to me. Makes me really lose faith in the guy I'm dealing with to put some audio/video in my home. I want to do this right the first time, and I don't mind paying for it within reason, but if he is selling me speakers that will be eclipsed in the next few months without any notification? WOW
Remember. Newer does not necessitate better.
post #32033 of 32039 Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi everyone,

I replied to highland this morning, but thought I would share. The SA-LCR3 and SA-ADP will not be phased out with the rest of the SA line and will continue to be available alongside the current Signature in-walls and in-ceilings. The rest of the AMS and SA lines are being replaced by the CI-Pro and CI-Elite. Hope everyone had a good weekend!
post #32034 of 32039 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the update John, that is good news.
post #32035 of 32039 Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoflyte View Post
I'm fairly new to this so please bear with me. Have a question about my Paradigm speakers and wondering if this is normal or not.

Recently purchased an ex-demo set of Paradigm Studio 100 V5 and have been using REW eq to calibrate the speakers. I will run a 20Hz-15000KHz sweep to plot a frequency response graph to get an idea of what my speakers are doing in the room.

During this process I notice that during the low frequency pass, only the middle bass driver has some form of excursion visible to my eye. The bass drivers on either side do not move, at least to my eye and what i can see. This is true of both speakers. I always assumed to my limited knowledge that all the bass drivers would move in unison and act identically since they are receiving a signal below a certain frequency due to the internal crossover.

Is there something wrong with my speakers or am I just being paranoid?

Hey did you get any answer to this elsewhere? I'm looking at buying some used studio 100 v5s and am heading over to test them tomorrow and I'm wondering what is expected behaviour
post #32036 of 32039 Old Today, 09:16 AM

I know this is the wrong forum , but since I'm installing my entire sound system with video this weekend I need some QUICK answers ...
My entire house is wired sending telephone / Cat 6 / sat coax (RG6) / coax (RG6) from every room to the garage. I wanted to put my bell HD , Blu-ray player in the main theater room and send the signal to the garage then distribute it back to all the other tv's. I was told that using
a Monoprice 1x8 block + Balun kits is not the right was due to incription protection issues with upcoming HDMI changes.
I was told to send the HDMI to the garage thru the coax and distribute it from there. Multiple bell / blu ray players are NOT a choice
as I want to not have to pause the show / movie every time someone goes to the kitchen / bathroom (yes I have tv's in there) / bar ...
What is the absolute BEST units, VeCoax or ZeeVe or something entirely different - PLEASE ADVISE - THANKS IN ADVANCE !
post #32037 of 32039 Old Today, 12:02 PM

Do you want 4K/UHD? There are a number of matrix switcher that will do what you want if you don't need 4K. I don't like using extenders to into the inputs of matrix switchers or distribution amplifiers, you are asking for problems but you could try it and you might get lucky. The best solution for what wiring you have done would be Just Add Power but it is not inexpensive.
post #32038 of 32039 Unread Today, 12:12 PM

I don't need 4k as most of the tv's are 32" and under
the wife's is 60" but she watches crap ....
I have a direct cable going from the A/V area to the projector , but I will not go to 4k projection for 3-4 years ...
so back to what product ?
Some one who has done this please advise
post #32039 of 32039 Unread Today, 01:31 PM

www.justaddpower.com
This would still be my top pick if you need to use extenders to get your sources' signals into the garage area.

There are number of matrix switches out there and we have used quite a few. The Crestron DM series is without a doubt the best and might be upgradeable but it makes the Just Add Power products seem like bargain basement pricing. I'd recommend Binary ones by SnapAV and Zektor as they have great support and you might need it. Atlona, Zigen, Avocation, Wyrestorm, also makes matrix switches but I am not sure how good their support is. One qualification is how you are controlling the equipment IR, IP, RS-232? Are you using repeaters or are you using some type of control system? We have found going cheap in the past has not paid off with this type of equipment. It is good to go with a quality company that offers good support. You might want to give some of these companies a call and let them know your plan. They should be able to help you pick the right products and whether their product will work in your application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems