Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1077 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 437Likes
post #32281 of 32297 Old 07-26-2015, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
What is important is that you match the new
Front left/right to your Version 7 Center 3.

The lowest version I would go for the fronts
Are version 5 or 6.

The ones you listed are WAY to old.

The Titan Monitor is a large potent bookshelf.
I would leave them in the front for now. They
Would be 'wasted' as a pair of surrounds in all
But a pretty large room. And good luck on trying
To wall mount them...LOL been there.

What I would look for his a nice pair of used
Paradigm Atom monitors. Version 3 and up.
They are easy to mount and are perfect for
What they need to do in a surround set up!
Ok thanks for the advice. So let me summarize what people have said and feel free to offer other opinions:

(As a reminder, I have a 3.1 I want to upgrade to a 5.1. Cuurent setup is: Titans v6 as fronts, a Monitor Center 3 v7, and HSU 15” sub. Usage is about 50/50 HT/music with more priority on quality music. I’m deciding if I should get used towers for new fronts or used monitors to put in the back).

1) It’s best to stick with Paradigm and match generations if possible
2) If I want to spend less than $500, the used Paradigm towers I found on eBay are too old (v. 3). I would be better off keeping my Titans up front and buying monitors for the back. The Titans may be too much power for rears anyway.
3) For the rears, I should try to match the generation of Titans, in other words get v6. If I can’t do that, v5 and newer would be ok

Final other questions:
1) Is there anything else that would be better for the front, presumably other brands, in my budget of approx $500? I guess I would essentially be trying to get a better soundstage?

2) For the rears, I found the following Monitor options online. Thoughts on these?

Mini Monitor v7, new: $450 (Audiogon)
Atom Monitor v7, used: $210 (eBay)
Mini Monitor v5, used: $250 (eBay)
No v6 available.

I assume the Atom v7 would be better than the v5 Mini, though someone did recommend the v5 Mini specifically in a separate thread.

Is the Mini Monitor v7 overkill for rears? It’s a bit more expensive than what I was planning just for rear speakers. I assume I'd be better off finding matching Titans v6 for the rear at a cheaper price.

3) New tower option I just found: Paradigm Millenia 200 for $500.

If I bought these and put the Titans in the rear, would that be a significant improvement? I realize I'd be mixing series with a Monitor Center if I did this. Based on what I read, it seems like an upgrade anyway. Is it worth the additional ~$250 vs. getting monitors for the rear?

Many many thanks. I've spent forever researching this and would love the advice!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32282 of 32297 Old 07-26-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 255
It is most important to match the Front 3!

I'm not going to dive into other brands,that's a
Deep hole and I prefer Paradigm any way!
(I own a dozen of their speakers)

It is not so important to match the rear surrounds.
Actually you could go to Best Buy and pick
Up a pair of the Insignia bookshelves for $100.
They will do just fine. Remember surround content
In the rear speakers is mostly sound effects.
Whiz,bang whosh type stuff.

Now if you are going to get into 5 channel surround
Music (like SACD) it is more important to get
Matching speakers.

Out of your list I would snag the Atom monitors for
$210 in a heartbeat. The Mini-Monitor is good for surround
I used them in the past they are good. Get the V5 ones if
You want.

I'm not familiar with the Millenia towers so I can't comment on
Them. That's up to you.

My opinion would be to save some coin up for a pair of
The V7 towers. The 7, 9 or 11 are all great and would match
Your Center 3 perfectly. To this end just snag a cheap pair of
Bookshelves for the rears. BE PATIENT!
You have a killer sub and a nice AVR. Your almost there!

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #32283 of 32297 Old 07-26-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Navimag, are you aware that you can get
A brand new pair of Paradigm Monitor 7 (v7)
Direct from Paradigm with no shipping or Sales
Tax for $900?

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #32284 of 32297 Old 07-26-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
Navimag, are you aware that you can get
A brand new pair of Paradigm Monitor 7 (v7)
Direct from Paradigm with no shipping or Sales
Tax for $900?
Grasshopper--Yes, thanks for pointing that out re the Monitor 7 v7. I wish I could spring for those but I think that would push my wife overboard! I'm suffering from the "wow, this is great how can I make it better syndrome" and I guess I need to draw the line somewhere for now. I can probably wait on the Monitor v7 for now and see if I can grab towers for a lower price later.

I think the Millenia 200 for $500 is the most I could go.

As I listen to more music I think my priority is on improving music performance. As I've listened to more music with the borrowed Klipsch, I prefer using stereo vs. surround so I guess the rears aren't as important. I could test 5.1 music with the matching monitors and upgrade the fronts later?

Thanks for the advice about the monitors. It's hard to sort this stuff out.
post #32285 of 32297 Old 07-30-2015, 05:33 AM

Liked: 10
Proud new owner of the studio 20s v5 and 590 center channel. I was looking for speaker stands for the 20s that are not $500 Paradigm J29. Can anyone recommend a more modestly priced sturdy stand for the 20s?

Also I'm in a position to get the Paradigm Cinema ADP v3 surrounds. I know they are not the ideal match for the 20s but I figured as surround speakers they will be good enough? Does that sound like a reasonable plan to create a 5.1 surround sound system?

Finally I'm also in the market for subwoofer recommendations for this system. I know I need an amp upgrade eventually but will my Denon 3312 drive these bad boys ok?

Last edited by mlk2106; 07-30-2015 at 05:40 AM.
post #32286 of 32297 Old 07-30-2015, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk2106 View Post
Proud new owner of the studio 20s v5 and 590 center channel. I was looking for speaker stands for the 20s that are not $500 Paradigm J29. Can anyone recommend a more modestly priced sturdy stand for the 20s?

Also I'm in a position to get the Paradigm Cinema ADP v3 surrounds. I know they are not the ideal match for the 20s but I figured as surround speakers they will be good enough? Does that sound like a reasonable plan to create a 5.1 surround sound system?

Finally I'm also in the market for subwoofer recommendations for this system. I know I need an amp upgrade eventually but will my Denon 3312 drive these bad boys ok?
Not sure if these will work, but VTI makes a few other speaker stands at decent prices. Paradigm stands are such a rip:

http://www.wayfair.com/VTI-DF-Series...DF-VI1161.html
post #32287 of 32297 Old 07-30-2015, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I recently bought Sanus stand for prestige center channel i was reasonably impressed with quality, the Paradigm option was significantly more expensive

Would be interested to hear how your make out with the Cinema surrounds. I'm also in the market for a more budget solution to pair with studio 60s and prestige centre. May get monitor surrounds if I can't find anything used or wait for version 8 to come out...
post #32288 of 32297 Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I use these stands for my Studio 20s, they were $100 when I got them though. I use blu-tack to secure the speakers and haven't had any problems.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bowers-w...&skuId=1197018

I drive mine with a 2112CI and haven't had any issues although I'm in an apartment and can't play it super loud. I have a B&W HTM62 for my center and a pair of small Mirage Omni speakers for surrounds.

PSN ID: javant86
Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
post #32289 of 32297 Old 07-30-2015, 11:32 AM

Liked: 10
I'd rather use bolts to secure the speakers to the stands. I have Sanus steel foundation 22 but with little kids running around I'd feel better if the speakers were bolted on the stands. The Sanus stands are nice but their holes for the bolt do not line up with the 20s. I guess I can get blue tak and give that a go. Thanks for the replies
post #32290 of 32297 Old 07-30-2015, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I'd rather use bolts to secure the speakers to the stands. I have Sanus steel foundation 22 but with little kids running around I'd feel better if the speakers were bolted on the stands. The Sanus stands are nice but their holes for the bolt do not line up with the 20s. I guess I can get blue tak and give that a go. Thanks for the replies
Fill your stands up with some lead shot and/or sand to anchor them down even more.

PSN ID: javant86
Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
post #32291 of 32297 Old 07-30-2015, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
The J29s are pricey, but they are very nice and easily bolt to the 20s with the hardware provided. Any other stand you will have to drill the appropriate holes to match the speakers. Try to find a pair used; they pop up every once in a while.
post #32292 of 32297 Old 07-31-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey019 View Post
The J29s are pricey, but they are very nice and easily bolt to the 20s with the hardware provided. Any other stand you will have to drill the appropriate holes to match the speakers. Try to find a pair used; they pop up every once in a while.
I'll second the vote for the J29's You can also fill them with sand for added weight.
post #32293 of 32297 Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Has anyone noticed the huge price increases on Paradigm speakers in Canada? Well I have and I think the higher prices are here to stay and I'm guessing they will go even higher.

Man, the Canadian dollar is taking a beating. That really sucks.

Last edited by Edllguy; Yesterday at 05:35 PM. Reason: Minor correction.
post #32294 of 32297 Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Has any Canadians noticed the huge price increases on Paradigm speakers? Well I have and I think the higher prices are here to stay and I'm guessing they will go even higher.

Just goes to show you that pretty much every country on the planet has an inept, corrupt government by varying degrees.
ambesolman likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #32295 of 32297 Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Uh, not sure how a dropping dollar in Canada means every country on the planet has an inept and corrupt government, but let's not veer into political commentary. This is an audo/video forum after all.
post #32296 of 32297 Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Has anyone noticed the huge price increases on Paradigm speakers in Canada? Well I have and I think the higher prices are here to stay and I'm guessing they will go even higher.

They have been raising the prices for years now......and the dollar has nothing (or a minimal effect) to do with it.

Lets see......the US dollar goes up compared to the Canadian dollar...........that should mean the US customers get a price reduction.......we ARE talking a made in Canada product (which has not prevented them from sending out speakers with horrific finish quality......over and over and over again). Instead the response is to raise the Canadian price and leave the US price as is.....now THIS has proven to be a big advantage to Canadians........."MADE IN CANADA!".

Check out the price of the Sub 2 in Canada......hilarious!!!! Power Sound Audio for me when it comes to subs!!!
post #32297 of 32297 Unread Today, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
They have been raising the prices for years now......and the dollar has nothing (or a minimal effect) to do with it.

Lets see......the US dollar goes up compared to the Canadian dollar...........that should mean the US customers get a price reduction.......we ARE talking a made in Canada product (which has not prevented them from sending out speakers with horrific finish quality......over and over and over again). Instead the response is to raise the Canadian price and leave the US price as is.....now THIS has proven to be a big advantage to Canadians........."MADE IN CANADA!".

Check out the price of the Sub 2 in Canada......hilarious!!!! Power Sound Audio for me when it comes to subs!!!
Yep. When the dollar on par, Global TV did a news clip on how Paradigm had to raise prices because of the weak US dollar. Now our dollar sucks and the prices go up again. It's stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page