Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1079 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 449Likes

post #32341 of 32362 Old 08-15-2015, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshanok View Post
Could it be that rather than clarity you experienced, it was more like the sound was brighter and forward which some can mistaken for clarity and the Prestige's sound had more fullness, warm side of neutral, and slightly laid back which could be mistaken as lacking clarity.

However, system synergy, room layout, and speaker positioning plays a big part in how the speakers sound.
no but everyone has a different listening taste, what heard good is not good to other. its different story on sound. base on the clarity of the music and over all listening. what i heard studio is my choice. that's my thoughts. evryone has their own thought. for you prestige is much better that your thought, will not interfere your choice. im happy on my studio v5 system. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32342 of 32362 Old 08-15-2015, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post
Dam that's a gorgeous speaker. The 590 is just too small in comparison.

Edit: Dam it, even the 590 would still be too high. SOAB
hi, nice system, but it look they are close together, the power amp need more space for ventilation. my power amp has 4 inch more for ventalating. well thanks
post #32343 of 32362 Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 30
How do the Millennia ADP compare the 590's? I have Studio 100's(v3) and CC-690 upfront. Currently running Studio 40's(v3) in rear. Because of the size of room and placement I'm thinking a pair of ADP's would be a better fit. 40's are just to close to seating area. 590 ADP's I can get for about $1k, Millennia for $800. Figure the Studio 40's are worth $800 with the J series stands they are on. Thanks for you feedback.
post #32344 of 32362 Old 08-22-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just a heads-up to anyone looking for an entry level Paradigm sub: my PDR-80 is listed in the classifieds.
post #32345 of 32362 Old 08-28-2015, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Better front upgrade value? Monitor 7 v6 for $200 or Monitor 9 v6 for $550 + $1

I have a 5.1 system with Titans v6 up front, Center 3 v7, Mini Monitors v7 in rear. Also a Hsu Research VTF-3 MK5 HP—15” sub w/ Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 receiver.

I’m looking to upgrade the fronts, primarily to improve music quality and soundstage.

I found the two options listed above:
Monitor 7 v6 for $200 and local pickup
Monitor 9 v6 for $650 and shipping

I’m inclined to go with the cheaper option—the Monitor 7--to minimize overall spend (wife) and they're so cheap I figure I can't go wrong; could always resell. Plus, I'm thinking the sub should cover any difference in the lows.

What do you think? Is there enough of a difference between the 7 and 9 that it justifies the difference in price? Will the Monitor 7 be that much better from the Titans?

Any immediate input appreciated as I have the chance to pick them up today.

Alternatively, both these options for the front would be v6 along w/ a Center 3 v7. Is there enough of a difference between v6 and v7 that I should hold out to find v7 towers? I’m considering these now b/c they both seem like good deals.

Use: about 60/40 music / home theater
Me: I like good sound and appreciate good sound quality in general terms. I’m not an audiophile and can’t distinguish subtle differences easily.

Many thanks.
post #32346 of 32362 Old 08-28-2015, 10:16 AM

Liked: 1
There are some sweet Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v5 speakers in the classifieds if anyone is looking to upgrade for a big cut in price! Accompanied by a cc-690 as well if anyone is interested!

These have been some wonderful speakers, and whether your looking to buy now or later, I would certainly consider them. Very smooth sound. Careful on first impressions if you hear some that are relatively new, I must say after a while of listening, the sound becomes much better. Difficult to verbalize how speakers sound, isn't it?
post #32347 of 32362 Old 08-29-2015, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking to upgrade my sound as now in my new house the room is significantly bigger. The listening area takes up one portion of a large open concept basement that is ~50x20-30x7-8', of which the listening area is about 14x18x7-8'.

My current 9 year old audio setup is as follows:
Paradigm Monitor 7 v4s
Paradigm CC-370
Paradigm ADP-370
SVS PB10-ND
Marantz 7005 AVR

For video, I have a Panasonic 65VT60 at a 12.5' viewing distance.

I know that my main focus should likely be to get rid of the SVS PB10-ND and replace it with a dual and larger subwoofer setup. That is likely to then leave me with about $4500 for upgrading other items.

What would provide a significant boost for my 70% HT/ 30% music listening habits?
Woudl moving to Monitor 11 v7s be that significant of a boost or would I only reach it with a 75F set? What about the centre?
post #32348 of 32362 Old 08-29-2015, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Center Speaker Above or Below TV?

Looking at installing some Paradigm CI Elite E80-IW speakers for a office setup. I'm having built in cabinets put below and don't really have any control over the height.

Everything I've heard and read states I should put the center on the bottom. This leaves the TV very far up the wall. There is no way I will get all three tweeters perfectly align, even rotating the side speakers with the tweeter on the bottom. What do you guys think? Would it be bad to move the TV down and put the center on the top?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196-1_resized.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	914810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197_resized.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	914818  
post #32349 of 32362 Old 08-30-2015, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
Looking at installing some Paradigm CI Elite E80-IW speakers for a office setup. I'm having built in cabinets put below and don't really have any control over the height.

Everything I've heard and read states I should put the center on the bottom. This leaves the TV very far up the wall. There is no way I will get all three tweeters perfectly align, even rotating the side speakers with the tweeter on the bottom. What do you guys think? Would it be bad to move the TV down and put the center on the top?
New layout out shows how it would look with the TV shifted down. Would try to angle the center down in this case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199_resized.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	915970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200_resized.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	915978  
post #32350 of 32362 Old 08-30-2015, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
New layout out shows how it would look with the TV shifted down. Would try to angle the center down in this case.
I would lower the TV to the perfect viewing height (mid-point of TV should be at your eye-level when seated). Then, put the center channel speaker above the TV and tilt it so that it points to your head.

1. Having the TV too high will ruin your viewing experience and give you a crick in the neck. It also increases the chance of reflections from room lights.
2. Putting the center speaker below the TV will reduce sound fidelity by increasing sound reflections from the floor and furniture.

I have tried both placements and found that the 'above TV' placement provided more 'open' sound and more clarity. When the center channel speaker was placed below the TV, it sounded congested and muddled.

I would not worry about getting all three LCR tweeters at the same height. It is an 'ideal' that cannot realized without the use of a projector and an acoustically transparent screen.

Tilting the center speaker so that it points at your head (when seated) is a good approximation of that ideal. It is much more important to get the left and right tweeters at your ear level.

Last edited by Spock1234; 08-30-2015 at 07:06 PM.
post #32351 of 32362 Old 08-30-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2202 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
Quote:
Why not choose on wall speakers, so that you can adjust the angle of the speakers to hit the appropriate seating arrangement using an adjustable bracket? Very hard to do with most in-wall speakers without movable drivers.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 08-30-2015 at 07:52 PM.
post #32352 of 32362 Old 08-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock1234 View Post
I would lower the TV to the perfect viewing height (mid-point of TV should be at your eye-level when seated). Then, put the center channel speaker above the TV and tilt it so that it points to your head.

1. Having the TV too high will ruin your viewing experience and give you a crick in the neck. It also increases the chance of reflections from room lights.
2. Putting the center speaker below the TV will reduce sound fidelity by increasing sound reflections from the floor and furniture.

I have tried both placements and found that the 'above TV' placement provided more 'open' sound and more clarity. When the center channel speaker was placed below the TV, it sounded congested and muddled.

I would not worry about getting all three LCR tweeters at the same height. It is an 'ideal' that cannot realized without the use of a projector and an acoustically transparent screen.

Tilting the center speaker so that it points at your head (when seated) is a good approximation of that ideal. It is much more important to get the left and right tweeters at your ear level.
Thanks for the replies. I'm heavily leaning towards center speaker above and the TV at eye-level. I don't know why I'd want to sacrifice the entire viewing of the screen to have the speaker in a more ideal position. The top of the TV is only like a foot from the ceiling --basically high-fireplace like mounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Why not choose on wall speakers, so that you can adjust the angle of the speakers to hit the appropriate seating arrangement using an adjustable bracket? Very hard to do with most in-wall speakers without movable drivers.
Speakers were already chosen. I've generally found that better speakers still sound better, even off axis. I guess I could have gone with the Millenia on-wall, but when I ordered I was going for as flush as possible to not crowd the room.
post #32353 of 32362 Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

you might have seen my prior posts as i've been upgrading my system and i'd like to get some more feedback to figure out what to do next. i missed out on the monitor 7 v6 i mentioned in a prior post.

in short, i have a pair of titan v6 upfront that i'm looking to replace for better musical performance. they sound good and i don't have a particular complaint. i'm just looking for something better as i've grown to appreciate audio quality. i also have a hsu 15" sub, a center 3 v7 and mini monitor v7 in the back.

i initially was planning to get a pair of recent towers, likely a monitor 7 or 9 v6. i saw some reviews on another site that seemed to indicate they wouldn't be much of an upgrade compared to titans plus a sub. they recommended getting a pair of studio 20s to provide a materially better sound quality vs. the monitor 7 or 9s. i checked online and it looks like i could get older studio 20s or 40s for a comparable price (i saw v2 and v4 specifically).

so the basic question is: what change upfront will make a material difference for ~$400-600? will i notice much of a difference with a pair of monitor 7 or 9s?

i assumed i would get better soundstage and overall quality with any of the recent monitor towers, but now i'm not so sure. i know titans have a good reputation for overall sound quality and punch as a bookshelf (especially later models such as the v6).

the other review makes a strong case for buying an older pair of studio 20 or 40s. that would leave me with a mismatched system since i'd have a center 3 v7 upfront w/ studios. i'm not too concerned though, b/c i figure that the system will be good enough for HT and i don't know that i would notice the lack of timbre-matching anyway. unless it's really bad, i'd prefer the tradeoff to have higher quality music with a mismatched center and rears (i'd probably put titans in the rear and sell the mini monitors).

since i'm looking for older models, i can't test these options and don't really have a dealer too close anyway. would v2 be too old if i do this route?

thanks.,
post #32354 of 32362 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 267
^^^I wouldn't go anything older than V4 on the
Studios.

If your looking to upgrade the left/right for musical
Performance I would check out the discontinued
Paradigm SE towers. They have Studio series drivers
And crossovers in fancy Monitor style cabinets.
I bought a pair of the bookshelf and center speaker
And was very impressed.
http://www.tsto.com/Paradigm_SE3_Flo...ers_p/1025.htm

And the center if you want
http://www.tsto.com/Paradigm_SE_Cent...ker_p/3562.htm

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #32355 of 32362 Old Today, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
^^^I wouldn't go anything older than V4 on the
Studios.

If your looking to upgrade the left/right for musical
Performance I would check out the discontinued
Paradigm SE towers. They have Studio series drivers
And crossovers in fancy Monitor style cabinets.
I bought a pair of the bookshelf and center speaker
And was very impressed.
http://www.tsto.com/Paradigm_SE3_Flo...ers_p/1025.htm

And the center if you want
http://www.tsto.com/Paradigm_SE_Cent...ker_p/3562.htm
great, thanks for the recommendation. i'd seen some SE speakers listed elsewhere and didn't know where they fall in the product line.

based on standard list prices, the SE3 towers are less than the latest version of Monitor 7 ($850 vs. $900).

based on what i read about the studios, it seems like a no-brainer to get the SE3 instead of Monitor towers (putting aside the center channel issue).

is that right--are the SE3 better than the Monitor towers v6 and v7? i've been looking primarily at monitor 9 v6. just want to confirm.

Last edited by navimag; Today at 11:22 AM.
post #32356 of 32362 Old Today, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just found this thread - I've been running a 5.1 Paradigm setup in my basement theater for almost 15 years:

The room is 20' wide by 15' deep, constructed of two nested boxes of very thick drywall with a half a foot of pink foam insulation in between. It was built by my brother as a place to rehearse his band when he owned the house. I put in a small air conditioner that vents into the rest of the basement since it can get hot from my projector during the summer. Still, sound doesn't get upstairs since the room's ceiling stops several feet below the real ceiling, and has the same insulation on top.

I use a Panasonic PT-AE2000 projector to throw a sharp and colorful 9.5' by 5.33' 16:9 image on the wall (using a screen paint recipe called "Cream&Sugar Ultra" that I read on home theater shack). The front L & R are alongside the screen, which starts atop the baseboard molding. The center is on a wireframe rack directly above the screen.

Front Left and Right are Studio 40 v.2 on stands a little above ear level, since my sub is a PDR-100 underneath the Right speaker stand (the Left speaker stand is on a box about the same size as the sub.

Front Center is a Paradigm CC the same size as the 40 but horizontal on the shelf above the screen.

My left and right surrounds are Studio 20 v.2.

I'm now using a pair of Boston Acoustic speakers that I had lying around as rear surrounds, since I just upgraded to a 7.1 Yamaha RX-A1030. Its YPAO room tonality (and delay) EQ has done a good job of matching the rears to the rest - and the rears are never very loud anyway. (I did bump up their volume a bit after running YPAO, to make them play the test tone at the same apparent volume as the other speakers when I'm facing forward, since the YPAO mike doesn't mimic our ears' pinnae, which attenuate sound coming from the rear!)

I had been connecting my Oppo BDP-93 to an old pre-HDMI RX-V457 via multichannel analog, so going HDMI and getting the benefit of room EQ is a novelty. If you have a YPAO-equipped AVR, you may have been puzzled by the multiple renditions it offers. When I figured out that Yamaha's "Natural" sound is actually a slight treble cut (confirmed for me by a tech there by email), I set it to "Flat" instead. The RX-A1030 means that I now have DD+ from my Amazon Fire TV box, itself a major upgrade from DD over optical, and the motivating factor for the upgrade. YPAO and 7.1 were icing on the cake.

I have the AVR send low bass from all channels to the sub, but I let the Studio 40s play their own bass as well, since it sounded too thin otherwise.

When watching 5.1 material I set the AVR to synthesize rear speaker info using Dolby ProLogic - which automatically steps aside when real 7.1 material comes through.

For stereo I have the AVR use "7 Channel Stereo" which derives a mono center channel but otherwise just gives the side and rear surrounds copies of the front channels. I think of it as "Car Stereo" or "Room Headphones" mode.

My speakers aren't as up-to-date as what most of those on this thread are running, but they sound great just the same. PS The old AVR is now running my living room stereo, where it actually gets to switch video, since I'm using composite video into an old Trinitron.

Last edited by Philnick; Today at 12:31 PM.
post #32357 of 32362 Old Today, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Well Phil, this is the place to be for Paradigm fans! If you ever need advice, there are some really knowledgeable guys that visit here.

Is your sub the model with a 120 watt amp? If you ever decide to upgrade, that position could give you a big improvement.
post #32358 of 32362 Old Today, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Paradigm Studio 5.1 setup (Studio 20 v4, CC-590 v4, ADP v3) with a HSU VTF2-MK3 sub and an Onkyo TX-SR805 reciever. In my new place I have much less room to put the front L&R Studio 20s. The room is about 15x20 feet but there is a doorway on either side of the TV so the 20s would sit very snug on either side of the screen with zero clearance between them and the doorways. This is problematic because: 1.) They could easily be knocked into when walking by due to them being next to high traffic areas. 2.) They don't have enough room to toe-in towards the listening positions. 3.) They just look huge and obtrusive being forced in to such a tight space.

My thoughts right now are:

1.) Replace with 20s with Atoms. The v4s (if I can find them) are 1.75" narrower 5.5" shorter 4 inches less deep. Do you think they would pair well? Paradigm Cinemas? Edit: I found a pair of v2s online in good condition.

2.) Add a CC-170 to option 1.

3.) Place the 20s on their sides on either side of the center channel. Essentially a really good soundbar. (btw... I demoed the $300 Vizio 3.0 soundbar but it was barely better than the onboard TV sound).

4.) ???

I'm probably going to be at this place for a couple of years max so I don't want to make a big investment that may not work when I get more permanently situated.

Also, I plan on using the 20s in the living room if they are replaced with the Atoms. Any thoughts on an inexpensive receiver (legacy or not) that would do them justice?
post #32359 of 32362 Old Today, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Well Phil, this is the place to be for Paradigm fans! If you ever need advice, there are some really knowledgeable guys that visit here.

Is your sub the model with a 120 watt amp? If you ever decide to upgrade, that position could give you a big improvement.
I think mine has a 100 watt amp. Given that the received wisdom is that it takes a doubling in power (+3db) to even be perceivable, I doubt that I'd notice a 20% increase!

post #32360 of 32362 Old Today, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

One tweak I'm toying with is a way to deal with the occasional disk that uses only the center channel: run an analog cable from the disk player's center channel output and Y it into an unused stereo input, to let me use my "car stereo mode" to get sound from all the speakers.

Only problem would be getting the HDMI video and that stereo input selected at the same time. I'd probably have to define a custom "Scene" setting for that - or bypass the AVR entirely for video by plugging the player's second HDMI output directly into one of the projector's other HDMI inputs.

post #32361 of 32362 Old Today, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by navimag View Post
great, thanks for the recommendation. i'd seen some SE speakers listed elsewhere and didn't know where they fall in the product line.

based on standard list prices, the SE3 towers are less than the latest version of Monitor 7 ($850 vs. $900).

based on what i read about the studios, it seems like a no-brainer to get the SE3 instead of Monitor towers (putting aside the center channel issue).

is that right--are the SE3 better than the Monitor towers v6 and v7? i've been looking primarily at monitor 9 v6. just want to confirm.
Yes, the SE series was a noticeable improvement over
The Monitor series. After I got my SE speakers I sold
My Monitors on Craigslist.

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #32362 of 32362 Old Today, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2202 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
One tweak I'm toying with is a way to deal with the occasional disk that uses only the center channel: run an analog cable from the disk player's center channel output and Y it into an unused stereo input, to let me use my "car stereo mode" to get sound from all the speakers.

Only problem would be getting the HDMI video and that stereo input selected at the same time. I'd probably have to define a custom "Scene" setting for that - or bypass the AVR entirely for video by plugging the player's second HDMI output directly into one of the projector's other HDMI inputs.
There are usually DSP modes that will help expand tracks like this without the kludgy workaround.

I'm sorry you didn't choose a receiver with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X (the latter coming soon) immersive surround included. That would really blow you away. Object based rendering is the best audio tech upgrade in twenty years or more.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems