Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 560Likes

post #33121 of 33136 Old 02-02-2016, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchaser View Post
Those would definitely kick arse as surrounds. I set up a 5.1 system using their milleniaone speakers in my room and while they probably won't go as loud as my studios they sound every bit as good at normal volumes (minus some blending with the sub due to their crossover requirements, time to replace the old dsp-3100 I think). I call them mightymites, great little speakers considering they are tiny. I would love to get some cherry finish studio speakers to use as surrounds to match the fronts but I couldn't find any used that were in the shape I wanted for the price I wanted and the tech never recommended the 15bs.
+1 > I have M1's w/ a SVS sub setup in my bedroom and they sound every bit as good as my Studios (100s, 20s, ADP590s and CC690) & SVS sub setup downstairs. However, I wouldn't use my M1's as Atmos speakers with my Studio setup since I'm running Pro Amps to the Studios. I don't think the M1s could handle all of the power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33122 of 33136 Old 02-02-2016, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Another member PM'd me regarding my impressions of the Salamander Designs cabinet. I tried to reply to the PM, but apparently you must have a minimum of 15 posts in order to send a PM. I'm going to post my response here so that my fellow forum member doesn't think i'm ignoring their request. Apologize if it's inappropriate to post something that isn't directly related to paradigm in this thread. Mods feel free to delete as you see fit.

I purchased the Synergy model 345. Below are my thoughts:

Pros:

- Super sturdy aluminum frame
- Very nice quality wood (doors, top, bottom)
- End panels and dividers are a wood laminate, but still well done
- Very modular design allowing you to adapt to various equipment needs
- Shelves are well made and extremely heavy duty
- All hardware is high quality (door hinges, pull knobs, shelf mounts, feet, etc...)
- Very large center channel location
- Perfect height for a TV to sit on top without having to crane your neck up/down for viewing
- Excellent ventilation
- Easily removable rear panels for equipment insertion/removal

Cons:

- Assembly required. There are a lot of parts and the directions are less than optimal
- Cabinet depth is too shallow for some equipment (e.g. Emotiva amp). You can work around this be leaving one or more of the removable rear panels off. This can only help ventilation, so I didn't see it as a serious drawback. I think I read somewhere that they offer deeper rear panels.
- Soft close door dampers lack adequate compression resulting in less than "soft close"
- No wire management system. I decided to drill holes in the divider panels to allow me to route all connections internal to the cabinet. I used a 1.5" paddle bit and drilled the holes in an inconspicuous location. The other option would have been to run the cables all the way to the bottom existing below the removable rear panels and
around the frame support and back into the cabinet. I didn't like the thought of doing that and preferred to have all the cables (with the exception of my furman power conditioner AC cord and main/sub wires) enclosed within the cabinet.

I'm very happy with my purchase. The AV cabinet looks beautiful. Assuming it stands the test of time (and I have every reason to believe it will) I would have ZERO reservations recommending Salamander Designs products.

HTH...
Jonas2 likes this.
post #33123 of 33136 Old 02-02-2016, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Another member PM'd me regarding my impressions of the Salamander Designs cabinet. I tried to reply to the PM, but apparently you must have a minimum of 15 posts in order to send a PM. I'm going to post my response here so that my fellow forum member doesn't think i'm ignoring their request. Apologize if it's inappropriate to post something that isn't directly related to paradigm in this thread. Mods feel free to delete as you see fit.

I purchased the Synergy model 345. Below are my thoughts:

Pros:

- Super sturdy aluminum frame
- Very nice quality wood (doors, top, bottom)
- End panels and dividers are a wood laminate, but still well done
- Very modular design allowing you to adapt to various equipment needs
- Shelves are well made and extremely heavy duty
- All hardware is high quality (door hinges, pull knobs, shelf mounts, feet, etc...)
- Very large center channel location
- Perfect height for a TV to sit on top without having to crane your neck up/down for viewing
- Excellent ventilation
- Easily removable rear panels for equipment insertion/removal

Cons:

- Assembly required. There are a lot of parts and the directions are less than optimal
- Cabinet depth is too shallow for some equipment (e.g. Emotiva amp). You can work around this be leaving one or more of the removable rear panels off. This can only help ventilation, so I didn't see it as a serious drawback. I think I read somewhere that they offer deeper rear panels.
- Soft close door dampers lack adequate compression resulting in less than "soft close"
- No wire management system. I decided to drill holes in the divider panels to allow me to route all connections internal to the cabinet. I used a 1.5" paddle bit and drilled the holes in an inconspicuous location. The other option would have been to run the cables all the way to the bottom existing below the removable rear panels and
around the frame support and back into the cabinet. I didn't like the thought of doing that and preferred to have all the cables (with the exception of my furman power conditioner AC cord and main/sub wires) enclosed within the cabinet.

I'm very happy with my purchase. The AV cabinet looks beautiful. Assuming it stands the test of time (and I have every reason to believe it will) I would have ZERO reservations recommending Salamander Designs products.

HTH...
post #33124 of 33136 Old 02-02-2016, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
The MilleniaOnes have me intrigued. Would they be too small for overhead duty?
How big is your room? If your ceiling is 100' above your head then you might want to go bigger . Otherwise I would think they would do great. Personally I would go with some in ceiling speakers unless you are renting or have a specific reason not to. If you need the portability the milleniaone's do come with wall mounts which you could use to mount them to the ceiling, they have some degree of freedom with which to angle them.

I just set up two 5.1 systems, one using the milleniaone's and another using the cinema ct 100's. I like them both, they are both great little speakers and I think you would be happy with either. The Millenia speakers are definitely a step up however, for the mid/high range they sound as good to me as my studio speakers. They don't put out much bass but then again you will be using them for overheads and I'm making the logical leap that you already have a sub for the lows. I didn't think I could be impressed by such a small speaker after using my studio 60's but damn those little things sound good!

Last edited by mdchaser; 02-02-2016 at 05:05 PM. Reason: world domination
post #33125 of 33136 Old 02-02-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgcue View Post
+1 > I have M1's w/ a SVS sub setup in my bedroom and they sound every bit as good as my Studios (100s, 20s, ADP590s and CC690) & SVS sub setup downstairs. However, I wouldn't use my M1's as Atmos speakers with my Studio setup since I'm running Pro Amps to the Studios. I don't think the M1s could handle all of the power.
Which SVS sub do you have? I'm using an old dsp-3100 and am not terribly impressed by it so I'm looking for something that will mesh well with the M1's. My thought right now is to grab a monitor sub 12 since I have a pbk kit and it would be nice to calibrate it to the room. I have to run my crossovers a bit too low because the dsp-3100 can't seem to handle anything above 100hz which is crazy.
post #33126 of 33136 Old 02-02-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
The MilleniaOnes have me intrigued. Would they be too small for overhead duty?
04rex, read this:

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...speaker-system
post #33127 of 33136 Old 02-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Great review on them. They seem like they would actually be a great choice.

The reason I am looking at something like those is where my system is, it is unfinished. It's in the basement. So there is no drywall or anything and there are no plans in the immediate future to finish the basement. Since there's no drywall, I don't think or don't know if traditional in ceilings would work good. With the MilleniaOnes, I can just mount them on a stud and angle them and be done.

Last edited by 04rex; 02-02-2016 at 06:40 PM.
post #33128 of 33136 Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm still planning on my audition of the 95Fs on Friday, but I noted that people were talking about the Cinema series as being a good match to the studio series for surrounds/rears. At this point, I'm finding the 25s and the Millenia ADP to be a bit too pricey for my comfort. I was looking at the Paradigm site and specs of the various lines, when I noted that the Monitor Surround 3 v7 seems to be constructed with drivers that are similar (i.e., all aluminum) to the Prestige series line and has a wider published frequency response than the 25s. This leads me to think that they might be a good match for rear/surrounds. Plus the price makes for a better WAF.

So, I'll open myself up to members questioning my sanity and ask does anyone out there think this might be a good combination Prestige LCR, Monitor 3 v7 surrounds and / or rear? Also, what benefit does the center bass driver in the 25s/Millenia ADP offer over the Monitor 3 v7 layout?
post #33129 of 33136 Old Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Anyone have the Monitor Surround 3 speakers and comments about them? I am looking to upgrade some ADP surround speakers and I am taking a look at these to replace them. I can demo them at my local hi end store but wanted actual owners reviews. Is anyone using separate amps for them? Notice that the 3's can handle 120 Watts.. thanks in advance

post #33130 of 33136 Old Today, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiyosaya View Post
I'm still planning on my audition of the 95Fs on Friday, but I noted that people were talking about the Cinema series as being a good match to the studio series for surrounds/rears. At this point, I'm finding the 25s and the Millenia ADP to be a bit too pricey for my comfort. I was looking at the Paradigm site and specs of the various lines, when I noted that the Monitor Surround 3 v7 seems to be constructed with drivers that are similar (i.e., all aluminum) to the Prestige series line and has a wider published frequency response than the 25s. This leads me to think that they might be a good match for rear/surrounds. Plus the price makes for a better WAF.

So, I'll open myself up to members questioning my sanity and ask does anyone out there think this might be a good combination Prestige LCR, Monitor 3 v7 surrounds and / or rear? Also, what benefit does the center bass driver in the 25s/Millenia ADP offer over the Monitor 3 v7 layout?
I have both cinema speakers and the milleniaones. I use a pair of milleniaone's as the surrounds for my studio system and they match very well, much better than the mini monitors I was using. I would look at the milleniaones before any of the others after having owned all of them. Good luck!
post #33131 of 33136 Old Today, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Which SVS sub do you have? I'm using an old dsp-3100 and am not terribly impressed by it so I'm looking for something that will mesh well with the M1's. My thought right now is to grab a monitor sub 12 since I have a pbk kit and it would be nice to calibrate it to the room. I have to run my crossovers a bit too low because the dsp-3100 can't seem to handle anything above 100hz which is crazy.
I have the Ultra13 in my Great Room and a SB12-NSD in my bedroom. I have both sitting on Auralex sound isolation pads.

I'm very happy with the blending of the SB12 and the M1's. The SB12 since its sealed doesn't over power the M1's by being overly "boomy".
post #33132 of 33136 Old Today, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgcue View Post
I have the Ultra13 in my Great Room and a SB12-NSD in my bedroom. I have both sitting on Auralex sound isolation pads.

I'm very happy with the blending of the SB12 and the M1's. The SB12 since its sealed doesn't over power the M1's by being overly "boomy".
I've been looking at the SVS subs, they seem to provide some great equipment for the price. I may be stuck with something from Paradigm as my local audio shop owes me a significant amount of credit and that's what they carry so I may just end up with another seismic 110 or a sub 1. I'm intrigued by the isolation pads, did you see any difference? I didn't know anything like that existed but for $50 I think I may try one.
post #33133 of 33136 Old Today, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I've been looking at the SVS subs, they seem to provide some great equipment for the price. I may be stuck with something from Paradigm as my local audio shop owes me a significant amount of credit and that's what they carry so I may just end up with another seismic 110 or a sub 1. I'm intrigued by the isolation pads, did you see any difference? I didn't know anything like that existed but for $50 I think I may try one.
I really haven't noticed a difference with the isolation pads. To me, its snake oil. I use both the Great Gramma and Subdude2 from Auralex mainly to keep the subs off my hardwood floors.
post #33134 of 33136 Old Today, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Anyone have the Monitor Surround 3 speakers and comments about them? I am looking to upgrade some ADP surround speakers and I am taking a look at these to replace them. I can demo them at my local hi end store but wanted actual owners reviews. Is anyone using separate amps for them? Notice that the 3's can handle 120 Watts.. thanks in advance
The MilleniaOne is a better match sonically but the bipole Monitor 3 will cover a greater area and play louder. It depends on your needs which I would use.
post #33135 of 33136 Old Today, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Isolation pads work great for subs that like to walk or you can feel the vibrations through the cabinet of the sub. Well designed subs should have enough bracing and mass that they don't walk or vibrate the cabinet. For better subs isolation pads will not be a big benefit if at all.
post #33136 of 33136 Old Today, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
You will not need isolation pads with Sub 1. It has isolating feet and the cabinet/driver design is force canceling. The cabinet doesn't vibrate / move.

TL;DR: Basically what everyone else is saying. Too good of a design / too expensive to have that problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems