Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 705Likes

post #33121 of 33677 Old 02-02-2016, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchaser View Post
Those would definitely kick arse as surrounds. I set up a 5.1 system using their milleniaone speakers in my room and while they probably won't go as loud as my studios they sound every bit as good at normal volumes (minus some blending with the sub due to their crossover requirements, time to replace the old dsp-3100 I think). I call them mightymites, great little speakers considering they are tiny. I would love to get some cherry finish studio speakers to use as surrounds to match the fronts but I couldn't find any used that were in the shape I wanted for the price I wanted and the tech never recommended the 15bs.
+1 > I have M1's w/ a SVS sub setup in my bedroom and they sound every bit as good as my Studios (100s, 20s, ADP590s and CC690) & SVS sub setup downstairs. However, I wouldn't use my M1's as Atmos speakers with my Studio setup since I'm running Pro Amps to the Studios. I don't think the M1s could handle all of the power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33122 of 33677 Old 02-02-2016, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Another member PM'd me regarding my impressions of the Salamander Designs cabinet. I tried to reply to the PM, but apparently you must have a minimum of 15 posts in order to send a PM. I'm going to post my response here so that my fellow forum member doesn't think i'm ignoring their request. Apologize if it's inappropriate to post something that isn't directly related to paradigm in this thread. Mods feel free to delete as you see fit.

I purchased the Synergy model 345. Below are my thoughts:

Pros:

- Super sturdy aluminum frame
- Very nice quality wood (doors, top, bottom)
- End panels and dividers are a wood laminate, but still well done
- Very modular design allowing you to adapt to various equipment needs
- Shelves are well made and extremely heavy duty
- All hardware is high quality (door hinges, pull knobs, shelf mounts, feet, etc...)
- Very large center channel location
- Perfect height for a TV to sit on top without having to crane your neck up/down for viewing
- Excellent ventilation
- Easily removable rear panels for equipment insertion/removal

Cons:

- Assembly required. There are a lot of parts and the directions are less than optimal
- Cabinet depth is too shallow for some equipment (e.g. Emotiva amp). You can work around this be leaving one or more of the removable rear panels off. This can only help ventilation, so I didn't see it as a serious drawback. I think I read somewhere that they offer deeper rear panels.
- Soft close door dampers lack adequate compression resulting in less than "soft close"
- No wire management system. I decided to drill holes in the divider panels to allow me to route all connections internal to the cabinet. I used a 1.5" paddle bit and drilled the holes in an inconspicuous location. The other option would have been to run the cables all the way to the bottom existing below the removable rear panels and
around the frame support and back into the cabinet. I didn't like the thought of doing that and preferred to have all the cables (with the exception of my furman power conditioner AC cord and main/sub wires) enclosed within the cabinet.

I'm very happy with my purchase. The AV cabinet looks beautiful. Assuming it stands the test of time (and I have every reason to believe it will) I would have ZERO reservations recommending Salamander Designs products.

HTH...
Jonas2 and Trefon like this.
post #33123 of 33677 Old 02-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Another member PM'd me regarding my impressions of the Salamander Designs cabinet. I tried to reply to the PM, but apparently you must have a minimum of 15 posts in order to send a PM. I'm going to post my response here so that my fellow forum member doesn't think i'm ignoring their request. Apologize if it's inappropriate to post something that isn't directly related to paradigm in this thread. Mods feel free to delete as you see fit.

I purchased the Synergy model 345. Below are my thoughts:

Pros:

- Super sturdy aluminum frame
- Very nice quality wood (doors, top, bottom)
- End panels and dividers are a wood laminate, but still well done
- Very modular design allowing you to adapt to various equipment needs
- Shelves are well made and extremely heavy duty
- All hardware is high quality (door hinges, pull knobs, shelf mounts, feet, etc...)
- Very large center channel location
- Perfect height for a TV to sit on top without having to crane your neck up/down for viewing
- Excellent ventilation
- Easily removable rear panels for equipment insertion/removal

Cons:

- Assembly required. There are a lot of parts and the directions are less than optimal
- Cabinet depth is too shallow for some equipment (e.g. Emotiva amp). You can work around this be leaving one or more of the removable rear panels off. This can only help ventilation, so I didn't see it as a serious drawback. I think I read somewhere that they offer deeper rear panels.
- Soft close door dampers lack adequate compression resulting in less than "soft close"
- No wire management system. I decided to drill holes in the divider panels to allow me to route all connections internal to the cabinet. I used a 1.5" paddle bit and drilled the holes in an inconspicuous location. The other option would have been to run the cables all the way to the bottom existing below the removable rear panels and
around the frame support and back into the cabinet. I didn't like the thought of doing that and preferred to have all the cables (with the exception of my furman power conditioner AC cord and main/sub wires) enclosed within the cabinet.

I'm very happy with my purchase. The AV cabinet looks beautiful. Assuming it stands the test of time (and I have every reason to believe it will) I would have ZERO reservations recommending Salamander Designs products.

HTH...
post #33124 of 33677 Old 02-02-2016, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
The MilleniaOnes have me intrigued. Would they be too small for overhead duty?
How big is your room? If your ceiling is 100' above your head then you might want to go bigger . Otherwise I would think they would do great. Personally I would go with some in ceiling speakers unless you are renting or have a specific reason not to. If you need the portability the milleniaone's do come with wall mounts which you could use to mount them to the ceiling, they have some degree of freedom with which to angle them.

I just set up two 5.1 systems, one using the milleniaone's and another using the cinema ct 100's. I like them both, they are both great little speakers and I think you would be happy with either. The Millenia speakers are definitely a step up however, for the mid/high range they sound as good to me as my studio speakers. They don't put out much bass but then again you will be using them for overheads and I'm making the logical leap that you already have a sub for the lows. I didn't think I could be impressed by such a small speaker after using my studio 60's but damn those little things sound good!

Last edited by mdchaser; 02-02-2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: world domination
post #33125 of 33677 Old 02-02-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgcue View Post
+1 > I have M1's w/ a SVS sub setup in my bedroom and they sound every bit as good as my Studios (100s, 20s, ADP590s and CC690) & SVS sub setup downstairs. However, I wouldn't use my M1's as Atmos speakers with my Studio setup since I'm running Pro Amps to the Studios. I don't think the M1s could handle all of the power.
Which SVS sub do you have? I'm using an old dsp-3100 and am not terribly impressed by it so I'm looking for something that will mesh well with the M1's. My thought right now is to grab a monitor sub 12 since I have a pbk kit and it would be nice to calibrate it to the room. I have to run my crossovers a bit too low because the dsp-3100 can't seem to handle anything above 100hz which is crazy.
post #33126 of 33677 Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
The MilleniaOnes have me intrigued. Would they be too small for overhead duty?
04rex, read this:

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...speaker-system
post #33127 of 33677 Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Great review on them. They seem like they would actually be a great choice.

The reason I am looking at something like those is where my system is, it is unfinished. It's in the basement. So there is no drywall or anything and there are no plans in the immediate future to finish the basement. Since there's no drywall, I don't think or don't know if traditional in ceilings would work good. With the MilleniaOnes, I can just mount them on a stud and angle them and be done.

Last edited by 04rex; 02-02-2016 at 05:40 PM.
post #33128 of 33677 Old 02-03-2016, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm still planning on my audition of the 95Fs on Friday, but I noted that people were talking about the Cinema series as being a good match to the studio series for surrounds/rears. At this point, I'm finding the 25s and the Millenia ADP to be a bit too pricey for my comfort. I was looking at the Paradigm site and specs of the various lines, when I noted that the Monitor Surround 3 v7 seems to be constructed with drivers that are similar (i.e., all aluminum) to the Prestige series line and has a wider published frequency response than the 25s. This leads me to think that they might be a good match for rear/surrounds. Plus the price makes for a better WAF.

So, I'll open myself up to members questioning my sanity and ask does anyone out there think this might be a good combination Prestige LCR, Monitor 3 v7 surrounds and / or rear? Also, what benefit does the center bass driver in the 25s/Millenia ADP offer over the Monitor 3 v7 layout?
post #33129 of 33677 Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Anyone have the Monitor Surround 3 speakers and comments about them? I am looking to upgrade some ADP surround speakers and I am taking a look at these to replace them. I can demo them at my local hi end store but wanted actual owners reviews. Is anyone using separate amps for them? Notice that the 3's can handle 120 Watts.. thanks in advance

post #33130 of 33677 Old 02-04-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiyosaya View Post
I'm still planning on my audition of the 95Fs on Friday, but I noted that people were talking about the Cinema series as being a good match to the studio series for surrounds/rears. At this point, I'm finding the 25s and the Millenia ADP to be a bit too pricey for my comfort. I was looking at the Paradigm site and specs of the various lines, when I noted that the Monitor Surround 3 v7 seems to be constructed with drivers that are similar (i.e., all aluminum) to the Prestige series line and has a wider published frequency response than the 25s. This leads me to think that they might be a good match for rear/surrounds. Plus the price makes for a better WAF.

So, I'll open myself up to members questioning my sanity and ask does anyone out there think this might be a good combination Prestige LCR, Monitor 3 v7 surrounds and / or rear? Also, what benefit does the center bass driver in the 25s/Millenia ADP offer over the Monitor 3 v7 layout?
I have both cinema speakers and the milleniaones. I use a pair of milleniaone's as the surrounds for my studio system and they match very well, much better than the mini monitors I was using. I would look at the milleniaones before any of the others after having owned all of them. Good luck!
post #33131 of 33677 Old 02-04-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Which SVS sub do you have? I'm using an old dsp-3100 and am not terribly impressed by it so I'm looking for something that will mesh well with the M1's. My thought right now is to grab a monitor sub 12 since I have a pbk kit and it would be nice to calibrate it to the room. I have to run my crossovers a bit too low because the dsp-3100 can't seem to handle anything above 100hz which is crazy.
I have the Ultra13 in my Great Room and a SB12-NSD in my bedroom. I have both sitting on Auralex sound isolation pads.

I'm very happy with the blending of the SB12 and the M1's. The SB12 since its sealed doesn't over power the M1's by being overly "boomy".
post #33132 of 33677 Old 02-04-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgcue View Post
I have the Ultra13 in my Great Room and a SB12-NSD in my bedroom. I have both sitting on Auralex sound isolation pads.

I'm very happy with the blending of the SB12 and the M1's. The SB12 since its sealed doesn't over power the M1's by being overly "boomy".
I've been looking at the SVS subs, they seem to provide some great equipment for the price. I may be stuck with something from Paradigm as my local audio shop owes me a significant amount of credit and that's what they carry so I may just end up with another seismic 110 or a sub 1. I'm intrigued by the isolation pads, did you see any difference? I didn't know anything like that existed but for $50 I think I may try one.
post #33133 of 33677 Old 02-04-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I've been looking at the SVS subs, they seem to provide some great equipment for the price. I may be stuck with something from Paradigm as my local audio shop owes me a significant amount of credit and that's what they carry so I may just end up with another seismic 110 or a sub 1. I'm intrigued by the isolation pads, did you see any difference? I didn't know anything like that existed but for $50 I think I may try one.
I really haven't noticed a difference with the isolation pads. To me, its snake oil. I use both the Great Gramma and Subdude2 from Auralex mainly to keep the subs off my hardwood floors.
post #33134 of 33677 Old 02-04-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Anyone have the Monitor Surround 3 speakers and comments about them? I am looking to upgrade some ADP surround speakers and I am taking a look at these to replace them. I can demo them at my local hi end store but wanted actual owners reviews. Is anyone using separate amps for them? Notice that the 3's can handle 120 Watts.. thanks in advance
The MilleniaOne is a better match sonically but the bipole Monitor 3 will cover a greater area and play louder. It depends on your needs which I would use.
post #33135 of 33677 Old 02-04-2016, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Isolation pads work great for subs that like to walk or you can feel the vibrations through the cabinet of the sub. Well designed subs should have enough bracing and mass that they don't walk or vibrate the cabinet. For better subs isolation pads will not be a big benefit if at all.
post #33136 of 33677 Old 02-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
You will not need isolation pads with Sub 1. It has isolating feet and the cabinet/driver design is force canceling. The cabinet doesn't vibrate / move.

TL;DR: Basically what everyone else is saying. Too good of a design / too expensive to have that problem.
post #33137 of 33677 Old 02-06-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick66 View Post
Vocal clarity is amazing. Norah Jones, Allison Krauss or other vocalists sound like I've never heard them before. I don't want to sound like a 95F cheerleader, but I really can't overstate how great these speakers sound. I will be keen to hear your thoughts once you've demoed them.
I auditioned both the 85Fs and the 95Fs, side-by-side yesterday. I brought along a variety of material: a DSF of Handel's Water Music / Fireworks Suite, Julia Fordham, Baba Maal, Lush for challenging vocals, Madonna (since the piece is very-well engineered IMHO), and some Gandalf.

I guess that I was not expecting as much of a difference between the 85Fs and the 95Fs, but I thought that there was a big difference. The 95Fs sounded much more open and natural to me than the 85Fs on most of the material that I brought. On some portions of the material, the difference was minimal, however, the Handel, and Baba Maal selections in particular, had portions that sounded much more natural on the 95Fs. There is a didgeridoo like drone in the Baba Maal selection that sounded much more natural on the 95Fs. The tympanies in the Handel selection also sounded much more natural to me. The Julia Fordham piece was equally as open and natural sounding on the 95Fs. I was hoping that the vocals on the Lush piece would be more understandable than they are on my 11se MKIIIs, but they were not much more intelligible. However, I'll chalk that up to a not-so-well engineered recording.

Though I have described particular portions of the selections I brought along as sounding more open and natural, in general, the 95Fs sounded more open and natural to me than the 85Fs. Even though I did not get the chance to A/B my 11se MKIIIs, on listening to the same material at home afterwards, it sounded muffled - as if the response and dynamic range of the 11se MKIIIs was severely restricted over the 95Fs.

I auditioned Studio 100 v5 a few years back, and I have to say that I am glad that I did not get them. Though I did not compare them side-by-side with the 95Fs, I don't remember being as impressed by their sound (though they were better than my 11se MKIIIs) as I am by the 95Fs. The 95Fs seem to be more evolutionary than an incremental improvement.

FWIW - I have a friend who bought used v2 S8s and I think the 95Fs sound better than those - though I think my friend is driving them with an under powered amp.

Anyway, I have a pair of 95Fs on order along with the 55C promotion. I'll be picking them up next Friday, and setting them up next Saturday.

I've decided against upgrading my rear speakers at this point since I'll be investing in an OLED in the not too distant future, and my seating distance might change. My wife is OK with ceiling mounting the rears, so I want to be sure that I only have to locate them once.

Here are the selections I used for anyone interested:

Scarriere and quick66 like this.

Last edited by wiyosaya; 02-06-2016 at 03:49 PM.
post #33138 of 33677 Old 02-06-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I auditioned both the 85Fs and the 95Fs, side-by-side yesterday. I brought along a variety of material: a DSF of Handel's Water Music / Fireworks Suite, Julia Fordham, Baba Maal, Lush for challenging vocals, Madonna (since the piece is very-well engineered IMHO), and some Gandalf.

I guess that I was not expecting as much of a difference between the 85Fs and the 95Fs, but I thought that there was a big difference. The 95Fs sounded much more open and natural to me than the 85Fs on most of the material that I brought. On some portions of the material, the difference was minimal, however, the Handel, and Baba Maal selections in particular, had portions that sounded much more natural on the 95Fs. There is a didgeridoo like drone in the Baba Maal selection that sounded much more natural on the 95Fs. The tympanies in the Handel selection also sounded much more natural to me. The Julia Fordham piece was equally as open and natural sounding on the 95Fs. I was hoping that the vocals on the Lush piece would be more understandable than they are on my 11se MKIIIs, but they were not much more intelligible. However, I'll chalk that up to a not-so-well engineered recording.

Though I have described particular portions of the selections I brought along as sounding more open and natural, in general, the 95Fs sounded more open and natural to me than the 85Fs. Even though I did not get the chance to A/B my 11se MKIIIs, on listening to the same material at home afterwards, it sounded muffled - as if the response and dynamic range of the 11se MKIIIs was severely restricted over the 95Fs.

I auditioned Studio 100 v5 a few years back, and I have to say that I am glad that I did not get them. Though I did not compare them side-by-side with the 95Fs, I don't remember being as impressed by their sound (though they were better than my 11se MKIIIs) as I am by the 95Fs. The 95Fs seem to be more evolutionary than an incremental improvement.

FWIW - I have a friend who bought used v2 S8s and I think the 95Fs sound better than those - though I think my friend is driving them with an under powered amp.

Anyway, I have a pair of 95Fs on order along with the 55C promotion. I'll be picking them up next Friday, and setting them up next Saturday.

I've decided against upgrading my rear speakers at this point since I'll be investing in an OLED in the not too distant future, and my seating distance might change. My wife is OK with ceiling mounting the rears, so I want to be sure that I only have to locate them once.

Here are the selections I used for anyone interested:

Gandalf - Many Roads Many Choices
Gandalf - Wandering Amongst Green Hills.
Handel - Music for the Royal Fireworks Overture
Baba Maal - Souka Nayo
Julia Fordham - Love & Forgiveness
Lush - Sweetness and Light
Madonna - Rain
Wiyosaya,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your audition. I noticed the same traits when comparing the 95 and 85. The 85 is a great speaker to be sure, but the driver configuration, cabinet or both with 95 make a significant difference. I'm not familiar with many of the pieces you listened to during your audition, however I plan to give them a listen. I'm always open to listening to new music or artists that I haven't heard before. I'm super excited for you, I absolutely love my new speakers. My 55C center will be here next week. I added an SV Sound SB13 Ultra to the mix last week and once I got it dialed in sounds fantastic. I feel like a kid at Christmas
Scarriere likes this.
post #33139 of 33677 Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Wiyosaya,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your audition. I noticed the same traits when comparing the 95 and 85. The 85 is a great speaker to be sure, but the driver configuration, cabinet or both with 95 make a significant difference. I'm not familiar with many of the pieces you listened to during your audition, however I plan to give them a listen. I'm always open to listening to new music or artists that I haven't heard before. I'm super excited for you, I absolutely love my new speakers. My 55C center will be here next week. I added an SV Sound SB13 Ultra to the mix last week and once I got it dialed in sounds fantastic. I feel like a kid at Christmas ������
Hmmm. This is interesting. The 85F is one of the speakers I'm considering for an already fairly tight space, but it sounds like I might be selling myself short by not considering the 95F - unfortunately, my local dealer does not have the 95F, just the 75 and 85. (Granted, haven't been there for a while, so maybe they've picked it up.) I'm going in tomorrow so I'll find out - but man, the size seems almost like they'd be awkward-looking in my space, over kill. One of the reasons I liked the 85F - just about at the size limit of what I wanted to accommodate! They've gotta fit along the length of a 10' wall in a 13' x 16' space with a 70" wide A/V cabinet - leaves just under a foot away from a side-wall that I can't avoid. Not ideal whatsoever - but no choice.

Just a put together a new "demo disc" for auditioning, sand I hope to compare the Prestige to the Totem Acoustic Forest (which would fit much better in my space, but not as aesthetically pleasing as the Prestige to me anyway). Also considering the Revel Performa F206 (but I guess the F208 would be similar to the 95F), but this is proving to be more of a challenge to audition simply due to lack of their existence at any close-by dealer. But they must be considered nonetheless for my budget range.
post #33140 of 33677 Old 02-06-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Wiyosaya,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your audition. I noticed the same traits when comparing the 95 and 85. The 85 is a great speaker to be sure, but the driver configuration, cabinet or both with 95 make a significant difference. I'm not familiar with many of the pieces you listened to during your audition, however I plan to give them a listen. I'm always open to listening to new music or artists that I haven't heard before. I'm super excited for you, I absolutely love my new speakers. My 55C center will be here next week. I added an SV Sound SB13 Ultra to the mix last week and once I got it dialed in sounds fantastic. I feel like a kid at Christmas ������
Did Paradigm end up giving you the promotional 55C? Awesome deal if they did. I'm excited for you, too. it sounds like you are putting together quite the system.

They did have a 55C at the shop on demo, but I did not listen to it.

I bought a Servo-15 from the same shop a few years after I bought the 11se MKIIIs. For me, all I can say is that though it is tempting to dream of a newer sub, it seems unnecessary as the Servo-15 is a very capable sub that I find it hard to think of replacing at this time even though the newer reference series subs have fantastic specs.

I have not heard of the SB13, but a good sub makes quite the difference for some movies. My wife and I started watching Interstellar on Amazon, and I told my wife the sound sucked. We ended up renting the Blu-ray from Redbox, and our entire theater room was shaking during some scenes. My wife said, "I'm convinced!"

In fact, if anyone out there can find a used, but fully functional Servo-15 v1, my opinion as an owner is that it would be hard to beat for the price that you might find one.

I have not heard Nora Jones before, but after listening to her on YouTube, I would have to say that she is similar to Julia Fordham in some ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Hmmm. This is interesting. The 85F is one of the speakers I'm considering for an already fairly tight space, but it sounds like I might be selling myself short by not considering the 95F - unfortunately, my local dealer does not have the 95F, just the 75 and 85. (Granted, haven't been there for a while, so maybe they've picked it up.) I'm going in tomorrow so I'll find out - but man, the size seems almost like they'd be awkward-looking in my space, over kill. One of the reasons I liked the 85F - just about at the size limit of what I wanted to accommodate! They've gotta fit along the length of a 10' wall in a 13' x 16' space with a 70" wide A/V cabinet - leaves just under a foot away from a side-wall that I can't avoid. Not ideal whatsoever - but no choice.

Just a put together a new "demo disc" for auditioning, sand I hope to compare the Prestige to the Totem Acoustic Forest (which would fit much better in my space, but not as aesthetically pleasing as the Prestige to me anyway). Also considering the Revel Performa F206 (but I guess the F208 would be similar to the 95F), but this is proving to be more of a challenge to audition simply due to lack of their existence at any close-by dealer. But they must be considered nonetheless for my budget range.
I have a similarly sized room, and my setup is also along the 10' wall. However, I have an older 2U wide 3U high Salamander Designs cabinet that is 44" wide. At that size, it is a nice fit. I have an HTPC along with my RX-A1050 in the cabinet, so you might say that I'm running a sparse system.

I have not heard of the other speakers that you are talking about. In fact, I am not sure that there are dealers in my area that carry them. When I bought my 11se MKIIIs, I shopped around to at least two other upper end A/V dealers. It would have been nice to have one dealer that had all of the speakers I listened to at that time, but I had to kind of hold what I heard in my head and make a decision based on that. I felt that the Paradigms sounded the best of what I heard, but part of what swayed me was that the sales people at the shop where I bought the 11se MKIIIs were not the pushy type. I've been pretty much exclusively buying from them ever since. I now have a long-time relationship with them, and even though I might find things cheaper elsewhere, I bring my business to them. IMHO, building a long-term relationship with a shop like that is the way to go. It has paid off for me many times over the years. If I am not mistaken, the two other dealers that I mentioned are no longer in business.

I think you are doing the right thing by auditioning the speakers. Unless one can afford to buy new speakers every few years, speakers are something that you have to live with for a long time, and that the sound is what you like is the most important thing as I see it.

I may never buy another set of speakers, but I think I made the right choice. I have to say that I am partial to Paradigm though. I like their sound and the philosophy behind their design. I wish you the best in your quest, and I would be interested in knowing your choice and why.
Scarriere likes this.
post #33141 of 33677 Old 02-07-2016, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I think you are doing the right thing by auditioning the speakers. Unless one can afford to buy new speakers every few years, speakers are something that you have to live with for a long time, and that the sound is what you like is the most important thing as I see it.

I may never buy another set of speakers, but I think I made the right choice. I have to say that I am partial to Paradigm though. I like their sound and the philosophy behind their design. I wish you the best in your quest, and I would be interested in knowing your choice and why.
Thanks! I will definitely keep you posted. Dealer opens at 11:00AM this morning, so getting ready to head over. I won't do any auditioning today, just going over to set up a good time to do so.

Last night I also checked the Salamander site for a not-as-wide cabinet, which they have in the style I want, so I might need to consider this now as well. I've REALLY gotta nail down the gear I want do some serious measuring and calculating to see if everything fits and breathes properly. The one thing, I don't have a display yet and the display I end up with may end up on the top of the AV cabinet or on the wall - I just don't want a larger display to look like it is overwhelming a smaller cabinet if you know what I mean.

Ugh, so frustrating being so limited to space and location of where things have to go! Oh well.

One other question for you Prestige owners: How do you find low-volume performance? Is there good consistency across volume settings?
post #33142 of 33677 Old 02-07-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
The one thing, I don't have a display yet and the display I end up with may end up on the top of the AV cabinet or on the wall - I just don't want a larger display to look like it is overwhelming a smaller cabinet if you know what I mean.
I have a 50" PDP on mine right now, and it looks reasonable. The PDP only has about a 3/4" bezel around the display, and it does not overhang the edges of the cabinet. I do figure that I can go up to either a 65" or 70" display that has a minimal bezel. My intent is that in the not so distant future, go to a 65" - 70" OLED. At that size, I figure either of them will hang over the sides of the cabinet, but not so much so that it will look that overwhelmed. I would hate to get a bigger a/v cabinet for the minimal amount of equipment I have. Since there is a window behind where the display is now, wall mounting is not an option, although, I suppose I could go to a ceiling mount. Since OLEDs in that size are not yet priced as I would prefer, I have a while to think things through.

Mounting against the long wall is not an option since I would have to put our couch in a position that would be detrimental to sound quality. I certainly agree that with such a small room, things get challenging.
post #33143 of 33677 Old 02-07-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
One other question for you Prestige owners: How do you find low-volume performance? Is there good consistency across volume settings?
Great question; dialog clarity at low volume is of the best aspects of the S60's and 690.
post #33144 of 33677 Old 02-07-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Did Paradigm end up giving you the promotional 55C? Awesome deal if they did. I'm excited for you, too. it sounds like you are putting together quite the system.
Yes they did. I gave them a call and the contacted my home theater distributor and put the order in the same day. Talk about going the extra mile for their customers. Super happy with my speakers and the customer service. My system is pretty well complete now. I don't have a dedicated theater so I use my family room which is a large space. I'm going to buy a sliding shelf for my AV cabinet so I can connect my turntable. I hoping everything I purchased will last a long time as it was a pretty substantial cash outlay. But at 50 I've earned it

I can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get everything setup in your home. You will be floored! I will be staying tuned for sure!
post #33145 of 33677 Old 02-07-2016, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I had a chance to listen to the paradigm 85F, 95F, the Studio 100s, and the Sonus Faber Venere S recently. I brought a range of FLAC music and CDs with me, from Classical to Sting to Disturbed. The speakers were powered by the Denon x6200, no external amplifier. (This most closely mimics my hardware, which is a Denon x4200)

I would rate them in this order:

95F>Sonus Faber Venere S>85F>Studio 100s (most recent revision)

I found there to be a minimal gap between the Sonus Faber and the 95F, but a relatively noticeable step down to the 85F and the Studio 100s.

It was The $1600 free center by Paradigm wrapped up my decision making process. It is practically impossible not to jump on that deal, and the Sonus Faber center pales in comparison.

BTW, I mentioned to the store owner that Paradigm must be having trouble selling the Prestige series if they are throwing in a free center. He said the opposite was true, and that the Prestige series is selling well above expectations for Paradigm, even before the promotion. Apparently competition in this price range is fierce, and Paradigm decided to go "all in" in an attempt to push up the presence of their name and this model line. Anecdotal, I know, but he has always been honest with me in the past. And his personal preference is GoldenEar, so he isn't a Paradigm enthusiast trying to prop up the name.

One other interesting point I learned- that free center is not free to the merchants. Paradigm treats it as an "advertising collaboration" with the merchants, so they are paying for some portion of the center channel. He did not disclose how much, but he said it was a fair arrangement.
Scarriere, wiyosaya and quick66 like this.

Last edited by LuminousWarrior; 02-07-2016 at 09:16 PM.
post #33146 of 33677 Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Yes they did. I gave them a call and the contacted my home theater distributor and put the order in the same day. Talk about going the extra mile for their customers. Super happy with my speakers and the customer service. My system is pretty well complete now. I don't have a dedicated theater so I use my family room which is a large space. I'm going to buy a sliding shelf for my AV cabinet so I can connect my turntable. I hoping everything I purchased will last a long time as it was a pretty substantial cash outlay. But at 50 I've earned it

I can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get everything setup in your home. You will be floored! I will be staying tuned for sure!
Awesome that they gave you the 55C! That is a sweet deal. I feel the same as you do about the outlay being 56.

I'll let you know after I get things set up. I'll be doing that this coming Saturday. It looks like it might be a good day to be doing something like that as they are forecasting a high of 5F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousWarrior View Post
I had a chance to listen to the paradigm 85F, 95F, the Studio 100s, and the Sonus Faber Venere S recently. I brought a range of FLAC music and CDs with me, from Classical to Sting to Disturbed. The speakers were powered by the Denon x6200, no external amplifier. (This most closely mimics my hardware, which is a Denon x4200)

I found there to be a minimal gap between the Sonus Faber and the 95F, but a relatively noticeable step down to the 85F and the Studio 100s.

It was The $1600 free center by Paradigm wrapped up my decision making process. It is practically impossible not to jump on that deal, and the Sonus Faber center pales in comparison.

BTW, I mentioned to the store owner that Paradigm must be having trouble selling the Prestige series if they are throwing in a free center. He said the opposite was true, and that the Prestige series is selling well above expectations for Paradigm, even before the promotion. Apparently competition in this price range is fierce, and Paradigm decided to go "all in" in an attempt to push up the presence of their name and this model line. Anecdotal, I know, but he has always been honest with me in the past. And his personal preference is GoldenEar, so he isn't a Paradigm enthusiast trying to prop up the name.

One other interesting point I learned- that free center is not free to the merchants. Paradigm treats it as an "advertising collaboration" with the merchants, so they are paying for some portion of the center channel. He did not disclose how much, but he said it was a fair arrangement.
Interesting that the 95s are seeming to come out on top here if even by a small amount over some speakers... What you said about the Studio 100s makes me happy my wife convinced me to wait.

I have absolutely no knowledge of this and I am not trying to start a rumor, but I'm wondering whether Paradigm is trying to clear inventory for a Prestige V2 series??? My dealer used to have a 100% credit trade-up policy in the first year. I'll be asking about this just in case Paradigm does come out with a V2 in the next year.

I also asked my dealer whether they were carrying any of the center channel promo cost. Though he is not the department manager, I bought my 11se MKIIIs from him back in the day about 20-years ago, and I also have been dealing with him for many years. He said that they were not bearing any of the cost as far as he knew. He said that all they had to do was to put in a promo code when they placed the order, and Paradigm then shipped the center to them free of charge. He told me that he looked closely at their literature for the promo and did not see anything where they were to partly bear the cost. We got into a conversation about various manufacturers, and he said that this promo was not at all like instant rebates on TVs where the dealer does indeed bear part of the rebate cost. I'll ask him again when I pick them up this Friday, and see what I can find out.

Last edited by wiyosaya; 02-08-2016 at 08:44 AM.
post #33147 of 33677 Old 02-08-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousWarrior View Post

My observations were very similar to yours. I listened to the Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs that sounded really nice. They had the same sort of sound as the Prestige, just not as much of it IMO. If the Paradigms weren't available I could see myself owning Sonus Faber.
post #33148 of 33677 Old 02-09-2016, 04:01 PM

Since the Prestige line has come up a lot recently I've started looking into upgrading my speakers. I just bought a brand new set of studio 60s/cc-490 and may have the opportunity to return them. I can get the Prestige 95fs for a very good price so the increased cost wouldn't amount to much. I REALLY like the look of the Studios but if the 95s are better would it be worth the hassle to upgrade?
post #33149 of 33677 Old 02-09-2016, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Since the Prestige line has come up a lot recently I've started looking into upgrading my speakers. I just bought a brand new set of studio 60s/cc-490 and may have the opportunity to return them. I can get the Prestige 95fs for a very good price so the increased cost wouldn't amount to much. I REALLY like the look of the Studios but if the 95s are better would it be worth the hassle to upgrade?
I recommend you audition them one on one. Although the finish of the Midnight Cherry Prestige looks awesome, overall I like the looks of the Studios better. Technically, I'm not convinced that the Prestige line is a upgrade over the older Studio v5s.
post #33150 of 33677 Old 02-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Prestige cabinets cost less to build.
Crossover design is 2.5 way which has led to some complaints of bass overlap.
I am also not convinced they are superior to the Studio line.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page