Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 705Likes

post #33151 of 33677 Old 02-09-2016, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I would love to audition them first unfortunately they would be a special order just for me so I won't get the chance. I have to go by the reviews that are out there and so far they seem to be mostly positive. I would definitely get the midnight cherry finish, it looks pretty damn good in pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33152 of 33677 Old 02-09-2016, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchaser View Post
I would love to audition them first unfortunately they would be a special order just for me so I won't get the chance. I have to go by the reviews that are out there and so far they seem to be mostly positive. I would definitely get the midnight cherry finish, it looks pretty damn good in pics.
I would NEVER buy a speaker without hearing it first. Especially with the price tag attached to these......
Reviews are subjective. How do you know that the reviewers have the same preferences that you do?
Considering what the competition offers that this price range, auditions are a must. Even if it means a road trip.
whitey019 and ambesolman like this.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #33153 of 33677 Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
Prestige cabinets cost less to build.
Crossover design is 2.5 way which has led to some complaints of bass overlap.
I am also not convinced they are superior to the Studio line.
I agree with your opinion on not liking the Prestige line as well as the Studio line. I lost a pair of Studio 100's in a fire, and when shopping for replacements I didn't like the Prestige tweeter at all. My wife had the same reaction when auditioning them. We went with Signature S6s as replacements and they are wonderful. Paired with an SVS SB Ultra 13 and hooked up to a new Parasound Integrated, they sound amazing.
post #33154 of 33677 Old 02-09-2016, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
It looks even better in person in my opinion! It is a very nice finish. BUT - on of our board members did get a pair of bookshelves I believe it was, and the finish was hard to discern from piano black. The ones at my local dealer in this finish are clearly distinguishable, and look great. What you end up receiving though? You gotta be able to have an avenue to return them if they are unsatisfactory, especially since you can't audition them. I know special orders can be a sticky wicket.

Quote:
I would NEVER buy a speaker without hearing it first. Especially with the price tag attached to these......
Reviews are subjective. How do you know that the reviewers have the same preferences that you do?
Considering what the competition offers that this price range, auditions are a must. Even if it means a road trip.
What he said. Unless you have a generous return policy.
post #33155 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiyosaya View Post
I auditioned both the 85Fs and the 95Fs, side-by-side yesterday. I brought along a variety of material: a DSF of Handel's Water Music / Fireworks Suite, Julia Fordham, Baba Maal, Lush for challenging vocals, Madonna (since the piece is very-well engineered IMHO), and some Gandalf.

I guess that I was not expecting as much of a difference between the 85Fs and the 95Fs, but I thought that there was a big difference. The 95Fs sounded much more open and natural to me than the 85Fs on most of the material that I brought. On some portions of the material, the difference was minimal, however, the Handel, and Baba Maal selections in particular, had portions that sounded much more natural on the 95Fs. There is a didgeridoo like drone in the Baba Maal selection that sounded much more natural on the 95Fs. The tympanies in the Handel selection also sounded much more natural to me. The Julia Fordham piece was equally as open and natural sounding on the 95Fs. I was hoping that the vocals on the Lush piece would be more understandable than they are on my 11se MKIIIs, but they were not much more intelligible. However, I'll chalk that up to a not-so-well engineered recording.

Though I have described particular portions of the selections I brought along as sounding more open and natural, in general, the 95Fs sounded more open and natural to me than the 85Fs. Even though I did not get the chance to A/B my 11se MKIIIs, on listening to the same material at home afterwards, it sounded muffled - as if the response and dynamic range of the 11se MKIIIs was severely restricted over the 95Fs.

I auditioned Studio 100 v5 a few years back, and I have to say that I am glad that I did not get them. Though I did not compare them side-by-side with the 95Fs, I don't remember being as impressed by their sound (though they were better than my 11se MKIIIs) as I am by the 95Fs. The 95Fs seem to be more evolutionary than an incremental improvement.

FWIW - I have a friend who bought used v2 S8s and I think the 95Fs sound better than those - though I think my friend is driving them with an under powered amp.

Anyway, I have a pair of 95Fs on order along with the 55C promotion. I'll be picking them up next Friday, and setting them up next Saturday.

I've decided against upgrading my rear speakers at this point since I'll be investing in an OLED in the not too distant future, and my seating distance might change. My wife is OK with ceiling mounting the rears, so I want to be sure that I only have to locate them once.

Here are the selections I used for anyone interested:

Gandalf - Many Roads Many Choices
Gandalf - Wandering Amongst Green Hills.
Handel - Music for the Royal Fireworks Overture
Baba Maal - Souka Nayo
Julia Fordham - Love & Forgiveness
Lush - Sweetness and Light
Madonna - Rain
I'm a dealer for Paradigm, so take this as you will, but I think one of the obvious improvements of the Prestige series over the Studio line is they are clearly more open-sounding.

And as for the Sub1 for which we have two in the demo room, no isolation feet or platforms needed. It's a rock-solid, awesome sub.
Scarriere likes this.
post #33156 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I would also recommend like the others to audition them first. Personally, even if the dealer would let me return them, I would be hesitant to buy them without having heard them. If it were me, I would want to hear them alongside the Studio 60s that you bought.

That they would be a special order makes me think that the dealer is trying to use a sales tactic. I'll suggest playing a bit of hardball with the dealer and telling him you have to hear them first because if you were to buy them straight from Paradigm, you would have 30-days to return them. My bet is that if you play hardball, the dealer will accommodate you rather than lose the sale.

That said, the promo for the free center (55C with 95Fs or 45C with 75Fs or 85Fs) is on through this February 25th.
post #33157 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I would also recommend like the others to audition them first. Personally, even if the dealer would let me return them, I would be hesitant to buy them without having heard them. If it were me, I would want to hear them alongside the Studio 60s that you bought.

That they would be a special order makes me think that the dealer is trying to use a sales tactic. I'll suggest playing a bit of hardball with the dealer and telling him you have to hear them first because if you were to buy them straight from Paradigm, you would have 30-days to return them. My bet is that if you play hardball, the dealer will accommodate you rather than lose the sale.

That said, the promo for the free center (55C with 95Fs or 45C with 75Fs or 85Fs) is on through this February 25th.
I agree with everyone about auditioning first but I think I should explain my situation a bit better... I work for the dealer that will be selling them to me as a consultant. They owe me a LOT of "credit" and I get a fixed percentage above cost which makes the cost of the three speakers (taking into account the free center) VERY VERY good, almost too good to pass up. Even if I can't get them to take the Studios back (I've had them for a while) I may just move those to my room and still buy the Prestige speakers. I will definitely make sure they can be returned all the way back to Paradigm before "purchasing" to make sure the shop isn't out anything if I don't like them. So that's my situation and the only reason I'm considering them at all. I've called around locally and no one near me carries the 95f's as they are too expensive for the area, bummer.

All of that being said there is no point if the speakers aren't better. I have four 5.1 sets of speakers at my house right now, Monitors (in a pile on the floor), Cinema CT 100s (computer), Milleniaones (room), and the Studios (living room) so I am very familiar with the way Paradigms sound. I really like all of the systems (well the Monitors sound a bit flat I suppose) so I doubt I would hate the 95f's unless Paradigm has done something radically different. I've been reading reviews and without exception they all like the new line and the "mini" reviews I've found in this forum almost univesrally laud the quality of the 95f's.
post #33158 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblnr View Post
I'm a dealer for Paradigm, so take this as you will, but I think one of the obvious improvements of the Prestige series over the Studio line is they are clearly more open-sounding.

And as for the Sub1 for which we have two in the demo room, no isolation feet or platforms needed. It's a rock-solid, awesome sub.
That seems to be the consensus around the net. I have pretty good hearing and doing an a/b test between my monitors and my studios shows a pretty big jump in quality. I'm hoping the 95f's are at least a notch or two above what I'm getting from the studios. I'm renting now but plan on buying soon so it seems to me the prestige speakers would work better in a larger living room so I'm planning for the future. I won't be getting a sub1 if I end up with the prestige speakers but I'm pretty happy with the seismic 110 that I have in my living room right now, I might add a second one at some point since they aren't terribly expensive or just save up and grab a sub 1.
post #33159 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
It looks even better in person in my opinion! It is a very nice finish. BUT - on of our board members did get a pair of bookshelves I believe it was, and the finish was hard to discern from piano black. The ones at my local dealer in this finish are clearly distinguishable, and look great. What you end up receiving though? You gotta be able to have an avenue to return them if they are unsatisfactory, especially since you can't audition them. I know special orders can be a sticky wicket.

What he said. Unless you have a generous return policy.
I REALLY like the look of my studio 60s but every review has said the midnight cherry prestige speakers look very classy which is what I'm going for. I've heard they do a bit of color changing which might look nice, I can only really see the grills of the studios from my seating position anyway.
post #33160 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I completely agree however due to my situation (I can only order from this specific dealer) I am stuck with Paradigms, Yamahas, Sonys, or Klipsch... Of those the only speakers I would consider are from Paradigm .
post #33161 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousWarrior View Post
I had a chance to listen to the paradigm 85F, 95F, the Studio 100s, and the Sonus Faber Venere S recently. I brought a range of FLAC music and CDs with me, from Classical to Sting to Disturbed. The speakers were powered by the Denon x6200, no external amplifier. (This most closely mimics my hardware, which is a Denon x4200)

I would rate them in this order:

95F>Sonus Faber Venere S>85F>Studio 100s (most recent revision)

I found there to be a minimal gap between the Sonus Faber and the 95F, but a relatively noticeable step down to the 85F and the Studio 100s.

It was The $1600 free center by Paradigm wrapped up my decision making process. It is practically impossible not to jump on that deal, and the Sonus Faber center pales in comparison.

BTW, I mentioned to the store owner that Paradigm must be having trouble selling the Prestige series if they are throwing in a free center. He said the opposite was true, and that the Prestige series is selling well above expectations for Paradigm, even before the promotion. Apparently competition in this price range is fierce, and Paradigm decided to go "all in" in an attempt to push up the presence of their name and this model line. Anecdotal, I know, but he has always been honest with me in the past. And his personal preference is GoldenEar, so he isn't a Paradigm enthusiast trying to prop up the name.

One other interesting point I learned- that free center is not free to the merchants. Paradigm treats it as an "advertising collaboration" with the merchants, so they are paying for some portion of the center channel. He did not disclose how much, but he said it was a fair arrangement.
People hear things differently, so I'm not discounting your observations, but you can't argue that going to a 2.5 way setup with square cabinets is a not cost cutting measure compared to the curved cabinets used in the Studios and the Signatures with a full 3 way setup. Also, going back to the gold plated g-pal tweeter to an aluminum tweeter.

When I talk to my local dealers here in Mississauga (right in Paradigm's backyard), the Prestige line is not moving anywhere near as well as the Studios did, so if you think that Paradigm is throwing in a free center because the speakers are selling well, I have a bridge for sale....
whitey019 and tritiumglo like this.

2 Channel setup -> Paradigm Tributes + Anthem Statement M1 amps + Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 + STP-SE preamp
7.2.4 Atmos HT -> Paradigm Studio 100s- Fronts, + Studio CC-690 - Center + Studio 20s Surround +
Rear Surround + dual Studio Sub 12s + four AMS-150R-30 (Atmos overhead)
Pre/Pro - Yamaha CX-A5100, AMP - Yamaha MX-A5000
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE8000U, Screen: Seymour F100 2.35:1 TV: Samsung UNDF658000
post #33162 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That seems to be the consensus around the net. I have pretty good hearing and doing an a/b test between my monitors and my studios shows a pretty big jump in quality. I'm hoping the 95f's are at least a notch or two above what I'm getting from the studios. I'm renting now but plan on buying soon so it seems to me the prestige speakers would work better in a larger living room so I'm planning for the future. I won't be getting a sub1 if I end up with the prestige speakers but I'm pretty happy with the seismic 110 that I have in my living room right now, I might add a second one at some point since they aren't terribly expensive or just save up and grab a sub 1.
Although it doesn't go as low or have the output of the Sub1, the 110 is excellent. The 95 puts out a lot more bass than you might expect btw.
post #33163 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I won't be getting a sub1 if I end up with the prestige speakers but I'm pretty happy with the seismic 110 that I have in my living room right now, I might add a second one at some point since they aren't terribly expensive or just save up and grab a sub 1.
Speaking as a long-time Servo-15 owner, it would be hard for me to justify an upgrade to any other sub. My room is small, and I just don't see that an upgrade would be something other than for bragging rights. I do realize that my Servo-15 is practically a fossil technologically and that the technology in Sub 2, 1, and the new Reference series subs is beyond what I have. However, my needs just do not seem to warrant an upgrade for my sub.

What I am trying to say here is that as far as subs go, at least from my viewpoint, once you get something really good, it becomes harder to spend even more money for the latest tech.
post #33164 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Although it doesn't go as low or have the output of the Sub1, the 110 is excellent. The 95 puts out a lot more bass than you might expect btw.
That's what I've heard and I'm not surprised given they used 3 8" drivers, those things are huge! I figure I would just lower the xover to 60hz from 80 and get the speakers to do a little more of the lower frequencies.
post #33165 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Speaking as a long-time Servo-15 owner, it would be hard for me to justify an upgrade to any other sub. My room is small, and I just don't see that an upgrade would be something other than for bragging rights. I do realize that my Servo-15 is practically a fossil technologically and that the technology in Sub 2, 1, and the new Reference series subs is beyond what I have. However, my needs just do not seem to warrant an upgrade for my sub.

What I am trying to say here is that as far as subs go, at least from my viewpoint, once you get something really good, it becomes harder to spend even more money for the latest tech.
I agree with you completely, the only reason I was considering a sub 1 was to burn through some of the credit owed. Now that the prestige speakers are on sale I think I would get more back for the buck by upgrading my studios and leaving the seismic 110 in play. I have an ear for small precise subs, big boomy bass has never done much for me and I really like the way the seismic sounds.
post #33166 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I completely agree however due to my situation (I can only order from this specific dealer) I am stuck with Paradigms, Yamahas, Sonys, or Klipsch... Of those the only speakers I would consider are from Paradigm .
Out of those, I would agree that Paradigm would be the best choice for most.

It is unfortunate that the 95F is surrounded by the Goldenear T1, Revel 208, and others in its price range. Its very hard to justify the cost of admission Paradigm is now asking. Especially when the series has obviously taken a cost cutting design approach.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

post #33167 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
People hear things differently, so I'm not discounting your observations, but you can't argue that going to a 2.5 way setup with square cabinets is a not cost cutting measure compared to the curved cabinets used in the Studios and the Signatures with a full 3 way setup. Also, going back to the gold plated g-pal tweeter to an aluminum tweeter.

When I talk to my local dealers here in Mississauga (right in Paradigm's backyard), the Prestige line is not moving anywhere near as well as the Studios did, so if you think that Paradigm is throwing in a free center because the speakers are selling well, I have a bridge for sale....
I'll put on my nerd persona for this one. As far as the tweeter goes, I'll take a materials standpoint. What gold plating does is eliminate oxidation of the aluminum. However, the way that aluminum oxidizes, you would get a very thin layer of oxidation on it; then the oxidation stops. Effectively, that layer of oxidation does the same thing as the gold plating does. In other terms, that oxidation is what is induced when aluminum is anodized. Given all things equal in a tweeter, I would be surprised if gold plating it made any noticeable or measurable change in the sound coming from it. Depending on how I look at it, it is either fortunate or unfortunate that I take standpoints like this as doing so sometimes reveals to me the marketing aspects of product features.

For the midrange/woofers, aluminum is a stiffer material than previous woofer/midrange cone materials. This is likely to mean that aluminum would be more immune to any interferences that likely develop in the cone material itself while it is producing sound, and part of that is likely a more accurate reproduction of sound since any interference in the cone material itself may manifest itself as distortion. Perhaps this is also part of the reason they were able to go to a 2.5 way design is because the stiffer material allows the cones to produce fundamentally more accurate sound.

I suspect that part of what helps the Be tweeter respond to frequencies so far beyond any other tweeter is the fact that it is a much stiffer material again even over aluminum. (Not considering the density of Be or Al as a lower density material takes less energy to move.)

Returning from nerd mode, as has been well-noted in this thread, the qualities of the sound from any particular speaker is something that is certainly personal. If I believe Paradigm's own marketing over the years, what they seem to be after is the highest possibly quality of sound reproduction given the constraints of the price range. I doubt that there is an ultimate speaker out there, but Paradigm seems to try to eek the best qualities out of what they use in each of their speaker families.

My dealer speculated that the cabinet change was part of Paradigm bringing cabinet production back in house. If they were having problems with quality from an outside source, then the cost cutting may be to an overall benefit of achieving better manufacturing quality. Though some see the old Studio cabinets as more aesthetically pleasing, the question in part becomes do they actually produce better sound. I think Paradigm may be a casualty of their own marketing as they previously billed the curved cabinets as reducing interior distortions thus producing better sound than boxy cabinets.

I have not asked my dealer how well the Prestige series is selling, however, I noted that they do not have the older Studio series on display. They do, however, have Monitor, Prestige, and Signatures on display at present.
post #33168 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think Paradigm may be a casualty of their own marketing as they previously billed the curved cabinets as reducing interior distortions thus producing better sound than boxy cabinets.
Absolutely correct. Standing waves were supposed to be reduced by not having parallel surfaces inside the cabinet.
A very suspicious flip flop.

It would appear that the cheap chinese manufacturing is not so cheap in the long run. Now companies are paying the price with their reputations.

post #33169 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
It would appear that the cheap chinese manufacturing is not so cheap in the long run. Now companies are paying the price with their reputations.
Many industries have realized (say 5+ years ago) that off-shoring, in general, can and often is more expensive than in-house production. As I see it, it is unfortunate that it is taking so long for companies to realize what others have realized before them.
tritiumglo likes this.
post #33170 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's what I've heard and I'm not surprised given they used 3 8" drivers, those things are huge! I figure I would just lower the xover to 60hz from 80 and get the speakers to do a little more of the lower frequencies.
You could, and probably should crossover even lower than that for integration purposes. Try 40 or 50z too.

BTW, the 8" cone below the tweeter has a somewhat different internal design from the bottom two mid woofs.

BTW II, there is debate whether curved cabinets are necessarily a benefit, such as:

http://www.ellisaudio.com/cabinetshape.htm

Many high quality manufacturers such as Spendor and ATC use rectangular cabinets. It's like gold vs. aluminum tweeters, et. al. -- one tech isn't necessarily better than the other, it's the implementation that counts. It's why you can't look at a speaker and know what it sounds like.
wiyosaya likes this.

Last edited by rblnr; 02-10-2016 at 01:06 PM.
post #33171 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
You could, and probably should crossover even lower than that for integration purposes. Try 40 or 50z too.

BTW, the 8" cone below the tweeter has a somewhat different internal design from the bottom two midwoofs.
I've experimented quite a bit with the crossover frequency in my 95fs (from 120hz down to 40hz (as low as my pre/pro allows)). The results are pretty interesting. I think the optimal crossover depends a great deal on the quality of the sub woofer and the room dynamics. I've managed to produce some pretty impressive low end on the 95fs set in "large" mode and trimming the curtains in the Dirac software to optimize the speaker to the room acoustics. However, since getting my new sub I've found that I actually like the overall sound better with the 95fs crossed over at 70-80 Hz. The sub reproduces very cleanly at that range and produces a bigger sound stage than the 95fs running down lower.

$0.02
post #33172 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

As you note -- each setup/room will be different. As you found out/know, getting the bass right has the effect of open up the entire presnrtation.
post #33173 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:

BTW, the 8" cone below the tweeter has a somewhat different internal design from the bottom two mid woofs.

BTW II, there is debate whether curved cabinets are necessarily a benefit, such as:

http://www.ellisaudio.com/cabinetshape.htm

Many high quality manufacturers such as Spendor and ATC use rectangular cabinets. It's like gold vs. aluminum tweeters, et. al. -- one tech isn't necessarily better than the other, it's the implementation that counts. It's why you can't look at a speaker and know what it sounds like.
Good to know, I'll play with the settings if I end up with a pair. I don't know how high the seismic sub will play but it seems to perform admirably up to the 80hz setting I'm currently using.

Last edited by mdchaser; 02-10-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: World domination
post #33174 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I don't think things can always easily be placed into the "cost-cutting" bucket when a design change happens that appears to have dissonance to the current norm. Perhaps the change in cabinet design and going from a 3 way setup to 2.5 may be a cost savings consideration, but neither may be true. Or only one of the two may be true. I have a long history in industrial manufacturing, and technological, composite, and mechanical innovations drastically change the landscape of what can be done with various materials in the same or differing form factors. The different manufacturing processes now available, technological innovations built into these processes, coupled with basic design and aesthetic considerations are all taken into account when creating a product. As an example, I've been reading alot about cabinet construction [box, tear, etc], and the consensus seems to be....."it depends". Crossover points, drivers, material density, internal dampening features, etc, are much more important, and these considerations may lead to a change in the cabinet design. So is the return of the "box" a cost cutting measure? Not necessarily. It could simply be a marketing tool to further separate the Prestige and Signature line.

My point is you can't look at the Studio line, compare it to the Prestige line and say "square box + 2.5 way speakers = inferior product. I can understand if people say "I prefer this sound to that sound", but I think Paradigm absolutely believes they have created a superior product to the Studio 100s.
I saw this comment at Home Theater review, which I think provides some insight into what paradigm was hoping to accomplish:

--------------------------------------------------
[from Rob] Greetings, I'm the Western Regional Mgr for Paradigm Electronics.
Dennis is spot on in the Studio/Prestige model-to-model comparison. The Studio 100 is somewhere between the 75F and 85F in regards to frequency response, power handling, low frequency response, and MOL (Maximum Output Level), etc. It's certainly closer to the 85F in most of those regards.
And all of this with 1/2 the distortion of the Studio because of the new drivers and crossovers. This, we feel, is partially responsible for the "de-cluttering" and dynamics that Dennis noted.
However, the 95F reviewed here actually has more MOL than our very top of the line, the $10,000 Signature S8! Maybe that's why Dennis was having trouble finding the volume limits of the 95Fs. ......

I do have a slight correction, the top 8" driver is not a midrange, it is a mid-woofer. The motor assembly is definitely constructed differently than the bottom two drivers, but all Prestige floor-standers are 2-1/2 way speakers, not 3-way. That means all 3 woofers handle bass frequencies, but only the top woofer plays up through the midrange to the crossover point with the tweeter. That means the bass and bass/mid drivers have been optimized to handle their respective frequencies. The top driver in all of the Prestige Towers are built this way: the 75F, 85F and the 95F.
Getting this level of mid-range performance and bass performance out of a 2-1/2 way speaker was impossible before, but due to: the advances of the ART surround; the new motor assemblies; the materials that we can use to maximize this design; the PPA Tweeter Lens and power-handling of the new X-PAL tweeter; refinements in the crossover; etc., we can confidently say that this design blows away any 3-way speaker we could offer at these price points.
Regarding the tweeter's "revealing" nature, I've noticed this, too, yet people agree that the tweeter is smoother than the Studio version. I've also noticed it can depend on electronics, but many recordings are just not good sounding. My extensive music collection if full of harsh sounding CDs and LPs that I can't live without. It's a fact of life that can't be worked around. At the risk of sounding glib, and "non-audiophile", that's a good case for a front end with tone controls or a spectral tilt control. When I put on some music that sounds like microwaved crap (excellent analogy, Dennis!), I simply knock the treble down 1 or 2 db, and maybe even lift the bass up accordingly - a slight decrease in highs and a slight increase in warmth usually makes the crispy music bearable to me on a high resolution system.

[...] it took years of R&D, computer modeling, advancements in materials engineering, building prototypes, trial and error, and thousands of hours of listening to music to out-do what we did with Studio. Once you listen,
I think you'll agree that the Prestige series not only affirms our position as the leader in Performance and Value, it sets the bar even higher. ~ Rob Sample

Last edited by LuminousWarrior; 02-10-2016 at 03:58 PM.
post #33175 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousWarrior View Post

My point is you can't look at the Studio line, compare it to the Prestige line and say "square box + 2.5 way speakers = inferior product. I can understand if people say "I prefer this sound to that sound", but I think Paradigm absolutely believes they have created a superior product to the Studio 100s.
I saw this comment at Home Theater review, which I think provides some insight into what paradigm was hoping to accomplish:
Its not all milk and honey with the Prestige. Too much top end energy and problematic bass are the usual complaints.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/p...YKt6jUtSbRU.97

post #33176 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I can only really see the grills of the studios from my seating position anyway.
My opinion, the Prestige looks better without them! Interestingly, the grille on the Prestige (at least the 85F) is such that it can be attached revealing the tweeter only and hiding the rest, or attached covering everybody. Maybe not news, but I thought it was interesting when I was examine the 85F at my local dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Apparently, the Winter sale does have them now moving at my local dealer. Will be interesting to see if this sale gets more units out there and more hype developed for Paradigm as a result or what...?

Quote:
It is unfortunate that the 95F is surrounded by the Goldenear T1, Revel 208, and others in its price range. Its very hard to justify the cost of admission Paradigm is now asking. Especially when the series has obviously taken a cost cutting design approach.
Maybe cost-cutting if they were made in China but I'd imagine though the features appear to be cost-cutting, is that hey are not given their Canadian manufacture, but perhaps better quality control as a result? Don't know, just guessing...
post #33177 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Opinions will vary wildly, as usual. I saw the studio line was being discontinued and I have been buying all the discontinued stock I can get my hands on. I actually don't think the Prestige line is a step down in looks due to the square boxes. I think they look stunning with the grills off.
Jonas2 likes this.
post #33178 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post
I actually don't think the Prestige line is a step down in looks due to the square boxes. I think they look stunning with the grills off.
If I end up with Prestiges, I'm running "in the nude". They do look stunning without the grilles - it's what first attracted me to them as soon as I played eyes on them.
post #33179 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 42
In Wall/Cieling - CI Home vs CI Pro

Is there an appreciable difference between the CI Home vs the Pros? They are gonna be ceilings and surrounds so most of my money is going into the front 3.

Basically, are the home junk? If they are not assembled in Canada where are they assembled?
Thoughts?
post #33180 of 33677 Old 02-10-2016, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Its not all milk and honey with the Prestige. Too much top end energy and problematic bass are the usual complaints.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/p...YKt6jUtSbRU.97
I agree they are not perfect speakers, but they easily hold their own (IMHO) against offerings from B&W, KEF, Focal and Sonus Faber and the same price point. And in the review linked above, he speaks to the 95Fs running a close race with his Energy speakers, which would cost ~$10,000 today. These speakers are $5000 and, for the moment, they are throwing in a $1700 center channel.

I think in this price range ($5,000) the Aria 948, Venere S, B&W CM10, KEF R900, each do certain things better or worse than their counterparts. I don't have the knowledge or background of some people here, but i would almost, but not quite, recommend that a person go with the speaker they find most aesthetically pleasing among these offerings, as each speaker is superlative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page