Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 587Likes

post #33181 of 33207 Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchaser View Post
I completely agree however due to my situation (I can only order from this specific dealer) I am stuck with Paradigms, Yamahas, Sonys, or Klipsch... Of those the only speakers I would consider are from Paradigm .
If I were stuck with these choices I would be seeking Tribute. Similar price to prestige and a much better speaker.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33182 of 33207 Old 02-10-2016, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
If I end up with Prestiges, I'm running "in the nude". They do look stunning without the grilles - it's what first attracted me to them as soon as I played eyes on them.
There is one thing I thought was strange about the grille. On the 95F, if you wish to have the tweeter exposed but keep the grille ON, it magnetically clamps to cover the bottom 1/2 inch of the tweeter. Has anyone else seen this on the 95F? On Paradigm's website no part of the tweeter is covered in the images. The salesperson I worked with thought the grilles for the L/R speakers might have gotten mixed up, but he couldn't find the matching second grille.

I couldn't imagine that this would be the issue. Any 95F owners out there?
post #33183 of 33207 Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Is there an appreciable difference between the CI Home vs the Pros? They are gonna be ceilings and surrounds so most of my money is going into the front 3.

Basically, are the home junk? If they are not assembled in Canada where are they assembled?
Thoughts?
Also, is there an appreciable difference between the Prestige 75's and the monitor 11's. I'm looking for a cleaner clearer sound.
post #33184 of 33207 Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Have Studio 60v4s and cc690.

What speaker models would go best with those as follows:

1. Atmos up-firing for top of studio 60s
2. In-ceiling height speakers
3. L/R surrounds (on-wall, not in-wall)
4. In-ceiling rear surrounds

Looking to complete an Atmos setup
post #33185 of 33207 Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2787 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Have Studio 60v4s and cc690.

What speaker models would go best with those as follows:

1. Atmos up-firing for top of studio 60s
2. In-ceiling height speakers
3. L/R surrounds (on-wall, not in-wall)
4. In-ceiling rear surrounds

Looking to complete an Atmos setup
In or on ceiling overheads for Atmos would give you superior 3D envelopment. Side and rear surrounds just above head level while seated. Look for monopoles, or if you have to, bipoles, but not dipoles.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #33186 of 33207 Old 02-10-2016, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousWarrior View Post
There is one thing I thought was strange about the grille. On the 95F, if you wish to have the tweeter exposed but keep the grille ON, it magnetically clamps to cover the bottom 1/2 inch of the tweeter. Has anyone else seen this on the 95F? On Paradigm's website no part of the tweeter is covered in the images. The salesperson I worked with thought the grilles for the L/R speakers might have gotten mixed up, but he couldn't find the matching second grille.
That doesn't sound right. I wouldn't think left or right would matter, but maybe it's upside down if only half the tweeter is exposed? You're right - on the Paradigm website it clearly demonstrates a fully revealed tweeter. My dealer doesn't have the 95, but on the 85 I noticed that tweeter exposed vs. tweeter covered I had to flip the grille 180 degrees on the vertical for the magnets to line up. Thought this was a bit odd.....
post #33187 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Also, is there an appreciable difference between the Prestige 75's and the monitor 11's. I'm looking for a cleaner clearer sound.
Yes, there is a difference but the Monitors are very good values for the money. For the in wall/in ceiling speakers the Pro series would more closely match to the Monitor series and the Elite series for the Prestige. The Home series is not junk and it would be fine to use them for surround duty with the Monitors if stretching the budget. I would also use the Pro with the Prestige if stretching the budget but I wouldn't math the prestige with the Home series. The Home and Monitor series are made in China.
tjcinnamon likes this.
post #33188 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Is there an appreciable difference between the CI Home vs the Pros? They are gonna be ceilings and surrounds so most of my money is going into the front 3.

Basically, are the home junk? If they are not assembled in Canada where are they assembled?
Thoughts?
I don't where they're assembled, but the Pro's are pretty good. I have four Pro 65's for the ceiling and am pleased. I'm unsure that if I had the chance, I'd get the Pro 80s. It's probably likely.

Quote:
Cleaner and clearer describes exactly the difference between the two. I auditioned them in the same day within minutes of each other. The 11's had more bass and I'd be happy with them if that's what my budget called for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Yes, there is a difference but the Monitors are very good values for the money. For the in wall/in ceiling speakers the Pro series would more closely match to the Monitor series and the Elite series for the Prestige. The Home series is not junk and it would be fine to use them for surround duty with the Monitors if stretching the budget. I would also use the Pro with the Prestige if stretching the budget but I wouldn't math the prestige with the Home series. The Home and Monitor series are made in China.
I agree completely!
(I have the 9's), lol
tjcinnamon likes this.
post #33189 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

I couldn't imagine that this would be the issue. Any 95F owners out there?
You are correct. With the grills oriented as they normally are (e.g. to cover all drivers) the magnets do not align in such a way as to allow you to cover the mid/bass drivers exposing only the tweeter. If you flip the grill 180 degrees the grill will adhere to the magnets, but it will only do so while masking the lower portion of the tweeter driver. Perhaps Paradigm has a redesigned grill already? When I was originally looking into these speakers I don't recall any of the gallery pictures showing the tweeter exposed as they do now, but I could be wrong. Moot point for me as I've tried the speakers with the grill both on and off. I prefer the sound with the grills in place. It knocks a little of the high frequency edge off making the sound more neutral, IMO.

HTH...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1246001  

Last edited by quick66; 02-11-2016 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added attachment
post #33190 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchaser View Post
Good to know, I'll play with the settings if I end up with a pair. I don't know how high the seismic sub will play but it seems to perform admirably up to the 80hz setting I'm currently using.
Definitely play around. As noted earlier, the room and the particulars of your system play a big role. In general, when I set systems up, I start lower rather than high w/a speaker that has good bass output. Reasons are two-fold: a) the more you rely on the speaker's internal x-over for integration, the better off you usually are (I find the bass in the 95f very well-integrated, and b) the lower you go the less directional signals are coming from the sub. But again, room modes from things like ceiling height and other factors all make it anything but a fait accompli. And a 10" or 12" driver doing 50z forex. will energize the air more than an 8" or 6.5" driver. Also as noted earlier, when you really nail it, at whatever hz that might be, the whole soundstage opens; it's much more than an improvement of just the bass.

As for the Stereophile review, it's always worth repeating: that's just one guy's opinion. There are many glowing reviews of the Prestige series -- other guy's opinions. I reviewed for many years and know that world well.
post #33191 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick66 View Post
You are correct. With the grills oriented as they normally are (e.g. to cover all drivers) the magnets do not align in such a way as to allow you to cover the mid/bass drivers exposing only the tweeter. If you flip the grill 180 degrees the grill will adhere to the magnets, but it will only do so while masking the lower portion of the tweeter driver. Perhaps Paradigm has a redesigned grill already? When I was originally looking into these speakers I don't recall any of the gallery pictures showing the tweeter exposed as they do now, but I could be wrong. Moot point for me as I've tried the speakers with the grill both on and off. I prefer the sound with the grills in place. It knocks a little of the high frequency edge off making the sound more neutral, IMO.

HTH...
Thank you for the confirmation. That must be a design flaw, as I've seen a picture directly from Paradigm, and the tweeter definitely was not covered at all. Also, on their website if you use the hover button on the Prestige series speakers (on their respective pages) it places the grille over the speaker, and it does not cover the tweeter.

For example, hover your mouse over the speaker on this page:

http://www.paradigm.com/products-cur.../page=overview

Its a shame, as that is the method in which I intended to display the speakers- with the tweeter exposed. But the current design just looks weird. For $2500 per speaker, I would have expected a little more attention to detail.

Last edited by LuminousWarrior; 02-11-2016 at 09:59 AM.
post #33192 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I don't think things can always easily be placed into the "cost-cutting" bucket when a design change happens that appears to have dissonance to the current norm. Perhaps the change in cabinet design and going from a 3 way setup to 2.5 may be a cost savings consideration, but neither may be true. Or only one of the two may be true. I have a long history in industrial manufacturing, and technological, composite, and mechanical innovations drastically change the landscape of what can be done with various materials in the same or differing form factors. The different manufacturing processes now available, technological innovations built into these processes, coupled with basic design and aesthetic considerations are all taken into account when creating a product. As an example, I've been reading alot about cabinet construction [box, tear, etc], and the consensus seems to be....."it depends". Crossover points, drivers, material density, internal dampening features, etc, are much more important, and these considerations may lead to a change in the cabinet design. So is the return of the "box" a cost cutting measure? Not necessarily. It could simply be a marketing tool to further separate the Prestige and Signature line.

My point is you can't look at the Studio line, compare it to the Prestige line and say "square box + 2.5 way speakers = inferior product. I can understand if people say "I prefer this sound to that sound", but I think Paradigm absolutely believes they have created a superior product to the Studio 100s.
I saw this comment at Home Theater review, which I think provides some insight into what paradigm was hoping to accomplish:
<...>
Excellent post. I think you and I are on the same page with this. In the R&D world, taking things from the lab to manufacturing is not always that easy; however, advances in materials have been significant in general (i.e., not just in speaker design) over the years. E.g., sandwich a piece of balsa wood in the middle between two layers of the right carbon fiber and you have something that is extremely light-weight, yet extremely hard to bend compared to many metals - this is something that would have been impossible in the not-too-distant past. To stay with older designs or more common materials when there are newer designs that are complimented by advances in materials would be a shame, IMHO.

Since I did have a chance to listen to the 85Fs and the 95Fs, I tend to trust the other judgments of the Prestige series because they are similar to my experience.

I think you make good points about the move back to the box design, and also for noting the bass/mid driver. From the article quoted below:
Quote:
The Prestige range drops the modern trend toward cabinets with curved side and rear panels in favor of a more traditional, rectilinear design. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Those curvy cabinets are a bit more rigid, but the popular claim that they reduce internal standing waves is, at best, specious (footnote 1).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
Its not all milk and honey with the Prestige. Too much top end energy and problematic bass are the usual complaints.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/p...YKt6jUtSbRU.97
I read this article before my audition. I note that the high problems are noted with the 15B, and on material that is less than optimally recorded.

When I bought my Monitor 11se MKIIIs some 20-years ago, I compared them side-by-side to the equivalent Studio series speaker. To echo what the review said about recording quality: Which speaker sounded better to me was dependent on the CD that was playing at the time. Some CDs sounded better on the Studio, some on the Monitor. It was precisely for that reason that I picked the Monitor series as I thought that it was a better value for the money.

When I auditioned the Studio 100s a couple of years ago, I specifically asked the question if there was any of this kind cross over in quality from the monitor line to the studio line, and the sales person said that there was but it was not as much as before. From my point of view, the fact that Paradigm tries to do the best they can for each price range may have hurt them over the years in that value conscious buyers might choose the lower end models for the same reason I did.

This again crossed my mind with the design of the current monitor speakers - since they all have aluminum cones. Though I did not do a side-by-side comparison of them with the Prestige, I tend to trust what others have said in the thread - i.e., the monitors have the lower-quality sound. Certainly, though not through a side-by-side, I thought my 11se MKIIIs did not sound as good as the Studio 100s I auditioned a couple of years ago.

A take away for me from that experience is that the speakers are the last stage in the chain of the listening experience, and the source material is the first stage. Personally, I don't see any speaker consistently sounding great on all source material, and I also do not think that if this is the case, it is the fault of the speaker. I am more likely to chalk it up to a less than pristine recording. Perhaps there are speakers out there that do sound great on all source material, however, I suspect that they might be out of my budget range.

Last edited by wiyosaya; 02-11-2016 at 12:17 PM.
post #33193 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
In or on ceiling overheads for Atmos would give you superior 3D envelopment. Side and rear surrounds just above head level while seated. Look for monopoles, or if you have to, bipoles, but not dipoles.
Would the Paradigm Elite CI E80-R or the Paradigm Elite E65-R be the better match for my Studio 60v4 and CC690v5 fronts?

Can I use either of these as both height channels AND surround speakers?

Would either of these provide a vast improvement in sound over my ADP370 surrounds?

Last edited by Sittler27; 02-11-2016 at 02:03 PM.
post #33194 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
If I were stuck with these choices I would be seeking Tribute. Similar price to prestige and a much better speaker.
I've heard they are great speakers unfortunately I don't think you can order them from Paradigm anymore as they are discontinued. That and they don't come with a free center channel .
tritiumglo and CarsandCigars like this.
post #33195 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblnr View Post
Definitely play around. As noted earlier, the room and the particulars of your system play a big role. In general, when I set systems up, I start lower rather than high w/a speaker that has good bass output. Reasons are two-fold: a) the more you rely on the speaker's internal x-over for integration, the better off you usually are (I find the bass in the 95f very well-integrated, and b) the lower you go the less directional signals are coming from the sub. But again, room modes from things like ceiling height and other factors all make it anything but a fait accompli. And a 10" or 12" driver doing 50z forex. will energize the air more than an 8" or 6.5" driver. Also as noted earlier, when you really nail it, at whatever hz that might be, the whole soundstage opens; it's much more than an improvement of just the bass.

As for the Stereophile review, it's always worth repeating: that's just one guy's opinion. There are many glowing reviews of the Prestige series -- other guy's opinions. I reviewed for many years and know that world well.
Good advice, I'll start lower and see what I end up with. I will admit I'm not sure what I'm looking for when it comes to xover's... I set my studio 60s to 80hz because that is what the Paradigm tech recommended and I set my milleniaones and cinema ct 100s to 120hz since that is also what the tech recommended.
post #33196 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 04:32 PM

I don't think too many people will be concerned, but the grille on the Prestige series is NOT reversible, and cannot be used in two ways (full coverage of speakers, and displaying only the tweeter.) A Paradigm CSR confirmed that the image is a mistake on there website, and not a flaw with the grille magnets. They will attempt to update all of the images.

As an aside, i was very impressed with Paradigm's customer service. I received a response to both of my e-mails in very short order, and both e-mails were detailed.
quick66 likes this.
post #33197 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've got Monitor 9 v6 fronts, CC-290 v6 center, Mini Monitor v6 sides, and ADP-190 v6 rears arriving in a few days, to be driven from a SR7010 with an NAD C320BEE to power two of the ceiling channels. What speakers do you fine folks think would go best in the ceiling to complete a 7.x.4 setup?

I'm leaning H-65R, but also open to the H-65SM if it's worth the extra dollars. Not sure what frequencies Atmos will be sending up there, and I'm fine with the smaller H-55R if they'll produce the desired effect. Do I even need 6.5" speakers up there vs 5.5"?

Also, what about PV-60R? They are certainly cheaper, but will they still sound OK with my v6 setup compared to the H-series stuff? If so, I'm certainly open to saving a few bucks..

Would love to hear from anyone who has heard any of the Paradign in-ceiling speakers, especially in an Atmos setup
post #33198 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone has Prestige 75? Just want an opinion on them?
post #33199 of 33207 Old 02-11-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I don't think too many people will be concerned, but the grille on the Prestige series is NOT reversible, and cannot be used in two ways (full coverage of speakers, and displaying only the tweeter.) A Paradigm CSR confirmed that the image is a mistake on there website, and not a flaw with the grille magnets. They will attempt to update all of the images.
Looks like they got the website images taken care of! And even though it is not the intent, the grille on the 85F can be flipped and it aligns properly to expose only the tweeter. Guess it's just where all of the magnets happen to align to allow this. Meh, looks weird anyway though.

So, FINALLY had a chance to directly compare the Totem Forest and the Prestige 85F side by side, all with Parasound gear. These are two speakers I've really been interested in for a while now. (Still want to audition Revel Performas which is more of a challenge......)

For Round 1, the Totems were only driven with a 2.1 Halo Integrated and the Paradigms with a JC2 preamp connected to a pair of JC1 monoblocks.

For Round 2, just reversed this and repeated same music.

My comments first on the gear: at the levels I listened to that ranged from barely audible to louder than I would listen at home, I could detect no differences or advantages to using one setup vs. the other. I'm sure there are distinct differences and measurable ones too, but for my untrained ears, either setup sounded great and I would be quite happy to have either one in my home, though I'd be forced to go with the single integrated simply for space concerns. :roll eyes:

As for the speakers themselves, there is no denying the bass advantage of the Paradigms. Both speakers I thought sounded great, but very different. I thought the Paradigms sounded warmer and somewhat fuller, maybe because of the bass? The Totems though had a more refined sound, especially for vocals. They just seemed more precise and they produced what I thought was a better overall soundstage. Very clean sound and they were able to tame some of the highs that seemed to get away a bit from the Prestiges.

That said, the Paradigms seemed easier to drive - seemed to do what they wanted to do with very little effort and you could just feel that somehow. I thought both speakers did equally well at all volume levels, especially low volumes - there was good consistency if that makes sense. The Totems would have benefited from a subwoofer (which was available, but that that'd be kinda cheating here....). Not that they had no bass - they did - but not like the Paradigms.

Bottom line, these were both very good speakers and I would highly recommend anybody looking for musical speakers to look into Totem. (The Forests are in the same price range as the 85F at $4200.) I don't think I'd be making a mistake going with either one.

BUT - I've gotta concern myself with dual use - music and home theater. Based on my gut, and what my dealer tells me, the Prestige would have an advantage in home theater as they are simply harder hitting speakers, and apparently the 55C center is really good too - and it's hard to ignore the deal Paradigm has going right now. Though the Totems are great, I'm leaning heavily towards the Paradigms as a start. I don't think I'd need a sub right away since there is some good bass, but I'd add a sub (or two) down the line anyway.

It sure seems like the 85F would be adequate for my arrangement, but all this talk about the 95F being that much better really has me wondering - just concerned it'd be overkill and visually overwhelming. I can get the 55C with the 85F for just the difference in cost between the 45 and 55, so that's not a concern. Alas, I simply lack the experience to be able to make an intelligent decision between the two based on my circumstances.

Music I auditioned attached below if anybody is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Playlist 1.png
Views:	25
Size:	528.0 KB
ID:	1247417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Playlist 2.png
Views:	24
Size:	534.9 KB
ID:	1247425  

Last edited by Jonas2; 02-11-2016 at 11:42 PM.
post #33200 of 33207 Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
I've got Monitor 9 v6 fronts, CC-290 v6 center, Mini Monitor v6 sides, and ADP-190 v6 rears arriving in a few days, to be driven from a SR7010 with an NAD C320BEE to power two of the ceiling channels. What speakers do you fine folks think would go best in the ceiling to complete a 7.x.4 setup?

I'm leaning H-65R, but also open to the H-65SM if it's worth the extra dollars. Not sure what frequencies Atmos will be sending up there, and I'm fine with the smaller H-55R if they'll produce the desired effect. Do I even need 6.5" speakers up there vs 5.5"?

Also, what about PV-60R? They are certainly cheaper, but will they still sound OK with my v6 setup compared to the H-series stuff? If so, I'm certainly open to saving a few bucks..

Would love to hear from anyone who has heard any of the Paradign in-ceiling speakers, especially in an Atmos setup
I've got four CI Pro-65R's in my ceiling for Atmos with Monitor 9's v7 and they're pretty good together.
Imho, I wouldn't go with 5 1/2" speakers for Atmos. More is better, but that could be just me.
Good luck with your choices!
post #33201 of 33207 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does anyone know the screw pattern or size for underneath the Studio 10s? I don't have then but I want to secure them that way.

Thanks.
post #33202 of 33207 Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
I've got four CI Pro-65R's in my ceiling for Atmos with Monitor 9's v7 and they're pretty good together.
Imho, I wouldn't go with 5 1/2" speakers for Atmos. More is better, but that could be just me.
Good luck with your choices!
I didn't even notice the Pro-65Rs on the Paradigm site. I went with those, the local dealer had them a bit under list price

Glad you pointed them out, I'm happy to pay a little extra and support North American manufacturing!

Will update when they are installed.
Scarriere likes this.
post #33203 of 33207 Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
I didn't even notice the Pro-65Rs on the Paradigm site. I went with those, the local dealer had them a bit under list price

Glad you pointed them out, I'm happy to pay a little extra and support North American manufacturing!

Will update when they are installed.
I feel that way as well.
Yes, update when you've got 'er all done!
post #33204 of 33207 Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Looks like they got the website images taken care of! And even though it is not the intent, the grille on the 85F can be flipped and it aligns properly to expose only the tweeter. Guess it's just where all of the magnets happen to align to allow this. Meh, looks weird anyway though.

BUT - I've gotta concern myself with dual use - music and home theater. Based on my gut, and what my dealer tells me, the Prestige would have an advantage in home theater as they are simply harder hitting speakers, and apparently the 55C center is really good too - and it's hard to ignore the deal Paradigm has going right now. Though the Totems are great, I'm leaning heavily towards the Paradigms as a start. I don't think I'd need a sub right away since there is some good bass, but I'd add a sub (or two) down the line anyway.

It sure seems like the 85F would be adequate for my arrangement, but all this talk about the 95F being that much better really has me wondering - just concerned it'd be overkill and visually overwhelming. I can get the 55C with the 85F for just the difference in cost between the 45 and 55, so that's not a concern. Alas, I simply lack the experience to be able to make an intelligent decision between the two based on my circumstances.

Music I auditioned attached below if anybody is interested.

Amazingly, Paradigm updated their website within a couple hours of my e-mail. VERY quick response. In relation to your question of 85F/95F, there is a discernible difference between the two, but the 85F is still a very, very good speaker.

For many people the 95F will definitely be too big. It is much larger in person than one would expect. It is also possible to buy a speaker that is not ideal for your room size. My personal opinion is the 85F will be the sweet spot for most customers. How big is the living space you plan to have the speakers in?

BTW, I'm surprised a merchant was allowing you to pay the difference to upgrade the center. Both of the places I visited said it was not an option.

And finally the dealers I spoke to gave the nod to Paradigm when I mentioned I was focused on home theater and gaming. Even during my Sonus Faber demo, once I stated that I was focused on home theater, the rep recommended Paradigm as a better fit for my needs. I would agree that Focal and Sonus Faber seemed to be slightly more musical, but they lacked the "punch" of the Paradigms.

Last edited by LuminousWarrior; Yesterday at 06:26 PM.
post #33205 of 33207 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

I do have a question about my basic 7.1 setup:

Am I better off with the Mini Monitors as the sides and the ADP-190s in back, or the ADP-190s to the sides and the Mini Monitors in back? I have much more room behind the couch than to the sides. The side speakers, whichever I use, will be on stands only ~1 foot away from the couch on either side, while the back speakers will be ~5 feet back. I could probably wall mount the ADP-190s on the back wall (one on wall and one on the starting newel), but nothing is getting mounted on the sides - must be on stands, and I'd prefer the backs to be on stands as well.

Front wall solid, rear wall left 1/3 solid, middle 1/3 stairs, right 1/3 empty back to the back wall of the stairs. Left wall solid/windows, right side no wall at all, open to kitchen. Space about 14' front to back (17' to the back wall behind stairs) and ~11.5' wide from the windows to the kitchen space.

I appreciate any input, and I also wonder if I'd get more responses in a general thread of my own..? Still new here after 7 years :P
post #33206 of 33207 Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Amazingly, Paradigm updated their website within a couple hours of my e-mail. VERY quick response. In relation to your question of 85F/95F, there is a discernible difference between the two, but the 85F is still a very, very good speaker.
Well since my dealer does not have the 95F, if I chose the 85F, at least I will (hopefully) never know what I'm missing by going with the 85F!

Quote:
For many people the 95F will definitely be too big. It is much larger in person than one would expect. It is also possible to buy a speaker that is not ideal for your room size. My personal opinion is the 85F will be the sweet spot for most customers. How big is the living space you plan to have the speakers in?
Room is 13' x 16' x 8' - but I've gotta place everything (speakers, AV cabinet at 69") along a 10 foot wall. The 95F might just be visually overwhelming if nothing else. It's also 3 inches deeper than the 85F, and I'm already getting closer to the wall than I care to be - and one speaker will essentially be in a corner. Very much so less than optimal. Was also thinking, if I have to manhandle these things a bit out away from the wall, the 85 would be easier to handle for weight and size.

Quote:
BTW, I'm surprised a merchant was allowing you to pay the difference to upgrade the center. Both of the places I visited said it was not an option.
Yep, this is kind of a make or break for me. But the dealer said they will do this (and already have done it). I was a bit concerned that maybe the 55C would be a slight mismatch for the 85, really belongs with the 95. Dealer said don't worry, it's a great match across the line. Based on the info I could give him, the dealer also said to stick with the 85F, thought it would do just fine. Said he'd be happy to sell me a 95 as they have them in stock (just not on demo), but to really consider all factors - in an ideal space, sure the 95 is better. But for my circumstances, probably not.

Quote:
And finally the dealers I spoke to gave the nod to Paradigm when I mentioned I was focused on home theater and gaming. Even during my Sonus Faber demo, once I stated that I was focused on home theater, the rep recommended Paradigm as a better fit for my needs. I would agree that Focal and Sonus Faber seemed to be slightly more musical, but they lacked the "punch" of the Paradigms.
And I'm in a different boat - probably 80% music (wife!) and 20% HT (me) - not that the Paradigms are bad for music, they aren't - but as you've pointed out - there are more musical speakers. Alas, the wife does not enjoy going to AV shops, she trusts my judgement - just hope I'm not making a selfish choice if I choose the Paradigms.

I suppose I could consider getting the Paradigms now, making the best of them, get the HT more or less going the way I want, then start saving for those more musical speakers for down the line. Can't have too many speakers, right?
post #33207 of 33207 Old Today, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
This is the best suggestion that I have read, but they are hard to find used given the low initial supply

2 Channel setup -> Paradigm Tributes + Anthem Statement M1 amps + Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 + STP-SE preamp
7.2.4 Atmos HT -> Paradigm Studio 100s- Fronts, + Studio CC-690 - Center + Studio 20s Surround +
Rear Surround + dual Studio Sub 12s + four AMS-150R-30 (Atmos overhead)
Pre/Pro - Yamaha CX-A5100, AMP - Yamaha MX-A5000
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE8000U, Screen: Seymour F100 2.35:1 TV: Samsung UNDF658000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page