Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 804Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #34021 of 34047 Unread 09-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Member
 
Julio Castrejon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
As an owner of the SE series bookshelf and center
Channel speakers I can vouch that they were definitely
Superior to the Monitor line. I noticed an immediate improvement.
Replaced Mini-monitor(v5) and cc-190(v6).
Put the Above speakers up for sale on Craigslist the next morning.
I own the SE center and the Studio 10 V5, and I temporally set up a 3.0 system with my Anthem MRX 300 to hear how well the SE Center can keep up with the Studios. To my surprise they matched perfectly, but not only that, the sound quality from the SE Center was way too close, almost identical if not exactly to the Studios. I honestly couldn't hear any real world gap in terms of sound quality between the SE Center and the Studio 10 V5 after demoing several movies.

Was the SE ever intended to sound inferior to the Studio Series in a noticeable gap?
Julio Castrejon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34022 of 34047 Unread 09-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
xirtam2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Has anyone heard the new Persona speakers yet? The Black Personas look like they have black woofers. How does Paradigm make them without affecting sound quality.
xirtam2005 is online now  
post #34023 of 34047 Unread 09-24-2016, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post
Has anyone heard the new Persona speakers yet? The Black Personas look like they have black woofers. How does Paradigm make them without affecting sound quality.
Anodizing.
Contuzzi is online now  
post #34024 of 34047 Unread 09-24-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 3,230
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Castrejon View Post
I own the SE center and the Studio 10 V5, and I temporally set up a 3.0 system with my Anthem MRX 300 to hear how well the SE Center can keep up with the Studios. To my surprise they matched perfectly, but not only that, the sound quality from the SE Center was way too close, almost identical if not exactly to the Studios. I honestly couldn't hear any real world gap in terms of sound quality between the SE Center and the Studio 10 V5 after demoing several movies.

Was the SE ever intended to sound inferior to the Studio Series in a noticeable gap?
I also did something similar. Originally used the SE bookshelves
And the SE center in a 3.1 bedroom set up. I had a pair of
Studio 40's (v4) and decided to go 5.1 in the bedroom. My
Experience with the front soundstage was identical to yours.

My opinion of the SE series is very high. I feel that they offered
An outstanding value and performance for the price. When they
Were discontinued they became an even bigger value.
There are still floor standing models (black only) and the SE
Center on eBay. The price for the floors is $700 plus shipping.
IMHO it would be very hard to beat that value.
(I haven't even heard the floorstanders, I base my opinion
On the center and bookshelf speakers I own)

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
grasshoppers is online now  
post #34025 of 34047 Unread 09-24-2016, 06:36 PM
Senior Member
 
xirtam2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post
Has anyone heard the new Persona speakers yet? The Black Personas look like they have black woofers. How does Paradigm make them without affecting sound quality.
Anodizing.
The Black Persona speakers should sound the same as the other colors, right? I prefer the look of the black speakers but would get another color if it affected sound quality.
xirtam2005 is online now  
post #34026 of 34047 Unread 09-24-2016, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
xirtam2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post
Has anyone heard the new Persona speakers yet? The Black Personas look like they have black woofers. How does Paradigm make them without affecting sound quality.
Anodizing.
I guess Paradigm already successfully applied this black anodizing with the Tribute midrange and the Inspiration mid/woofer.
xirtam2005 is online now  
post #34027 of 34047 Unread 09-24-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Anodizing adds micrograms, if anything. It may not even be measurable. It's more a chemical/electrolytic reaction than a deposit of material. I can't imagine it would affect sound in any way, or you would see KEF offering blue, black, copper and clear anodize of the Uni-Q driver on their LS50 and Reference "Foundation Edition" and other speakers.

System includes KEF R500 floor standing, R200C center, R100 surrounds, SVS SB2000 subwoofer, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 turntable w/ Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bluesound Vault, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer, MCS System cassette deck. The last 2 items are dust collectors but will work if asked.
KenM10759 is online now  
post #34028 of 34047 Unread 09-24-2016, 08:41 PM
Member
 
Julio Castrejon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
I also did something similar. Originally used the SE bookshelves
And the SE center in a 3.1 bedroom set up. I had a pair of
Studio 40's (v4) and decided to go 5.1 in the bedroom. My
Experience with the front soundstage was identical to yours.

My opinion of the SE series is very high. I feel that they offered
An outstanding value and performance for the price. When they
Were discontinued they became an even bigger value.
There are still floor standing models (black only) and the SE
Center on eBay. The price for the floors is $700 plus shipping.
IMHO it would be very hard to beat that value.
(I haven't even heard the floorstanders, I base my opinion
On the center and bookshelf speakers I own)
If they had the Rosenut finish for the towers, I would have bought them long ago. The black finish wouldn't go with the decor in my living room. The SE center is amazing, and just destroys almost anything in the $1000 range.

It's crazy that you can get the Signatures on ebay now. I wonder if that Signature C1 is any good? I so wish I had the money to buy the Sig's S6.
Julio Castrejon is online now  
post #34029 of 34047 Unread 09-26-2016, 03:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
OK paradigm gents. Fixing to pick up a pair of mini monitor 1v7 for about 500 bucks and the matching center for 320. I will be using this setup only for cinema no music. Any reason i shouldn't pull the trigger? I was leaning hard towards Ascend bookshelf but I can't demo them. I know everybody here is a little bias.
bcovish is offline  
post #34030 of 34047 Unread Yesterday, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cesar123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 541
I saw a Craigslist ad in my town for the Studio 60 v5 towers. He's asking $475 for the pair. Thoughts?

Yippee-ki-yay...
cesar123 is offline  
post #34031 of 34047 Unread Yesterday, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
I saw a Craigslist ad in my town for the Studio 60 v5 towers. He's asking $475 for the pair. Thoughts?


That seems like a steal to me if they're in good condition.
decibels likes this.

JVC DLA-400RS, Elunevision 112" Reference screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD player, NAD M25 amp, Anthem PVA-4, 4x Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers, Paradigm Studio 60 v5, Paradigm Studio 20 v5, Paradigm Prestige 15B, Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5, Paradigm Studio Sub12 X 2, Oppo bdp-93, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.
Gates is offline  
post #34032 of 34047 Unread Yesterday, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SimpleTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
I saw a Craigslist ad in my town for the Studio 60 v5 towers. He's asking $475 for the pair. Thoughts?
I agree with Gates. As long as they're functioning properly and aren't too banged up, that's a great price.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
SimpleTheater is online now  
post #34033 of 34047 Unread Yesterday, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cesar123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Yeah, the guy seems alright, but he has them in storage and there's no way I can test the speakers. That's what worries me.

Pictures should they are in good shape, but I would like to inspect the drivers.

But for the price... oh my.

Thanks for the input, guys.

EDIT: If I do get the v5s, they would replace my FL/FR (Studio 60s v4) and I'd move those to surround duties.

Yippee-ki-yay...
cesar123 is offline  
post #34034 of 34047 Unread Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
pair of Monitors 9's v2 for 300 CAN... is this a good deal? worth picking up?
[]V[]addog is offline  
post #34035 of 34047 Unread Yesterday, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mkard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Great Southwestern Heatsink
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by []V[]addog View Post
pair of Monitors 9's v2 for 300 CAN... is this a good deal? worth picking up?
As those with more experience than I have said above, all things being as advertised it sounds like a pretty good deal, but could be better as those might be more than 15-years old. I have purchased on the 2ndry market Original Monitor 7s and v2s and they sounded good at about the same age and price/pair. Appearances have been varied, and I was lucky that that was the only issue I have had.

I am looking around again to either upgrade my family room 3.1 Atom set up, or completely revamp my main theater (4x Monitor 7s) with better. I still have a fondness for Paradigm, but looking at new or trade I'll be shopping for different brands.

Mike
[]V[]addog likes this.

Mkard is online now  
post #34036 of 34047 Unread Today, 05:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post
As those with more experience than I have said above, all things being as advertised it sounds like a pretty good deal, but could be better as those might be more than 15-years old. I have purchased on the 2ndry market Original Monitor 7s and v2s and they sounded good at about the same age and price/pair. Appearances have been varied, and I was lucky that that was the only issue I have had.

I am looking around again to either upgrade my family room 3.1 Atom set up, or completely revamp my main theater (4x Monitor 7s) with better. I still have a fondness for Paradigm, but looking at new or trade I'll be shopping for different brands.

Mike
I agree... I could not afford new paradigms... but I'm always keeping my eyes open for used. market is small around here though.
[]V[]addog is offline  
post #34037 of 34047 Unread Today, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 8,102
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by []V[]addog
pair of Monitors 9's v2 for 300 CAN... is this a good deal? worth picking up?
$250-$300 for a pair in minty-mint condition is a good deal, IMO.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #34038 of 34047 Unread Today, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cesar123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Picked up the Studio 60s v5 yesterday for $460/pair. Cosmetically, I'd rate them a somewhat generous 7/10. Some scuffs, scratches, one hole in the grill, missing pegs and a bit dusty. That worried me. However, the guy showed up with his wife, was understanding if I didn't want the speakers based on their condition but assured me they are working 100%. I snagged them.

Took them home, cleaned them up a bit and put them as my FL/FR. Moved my Studio 60s v4 to surround duty. The older JBLs will be front heights.

Played some music and watched a few scenes from Star Trek (2009). Very pleased with the change. The v5s seem to have a more open soundstage and actually more sensitivity. Very pleased. Won't comment on bass because placement isn't optimal yet and I didn't have time to recalibrate my system.

Over the weekend I'll rerun Audyssey with the new set up but, oh boy, does it pay off to go the used speaker route. For my whole setup, I believe I paid around 20% of MSRP.
eljaycanuck, dean122601 and bmcn like this.

Yippee-ki-yay...
cesar123 is offline  
post #34039 of 34047 Unread Today, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar123 View Post
Picked up the Studio 60s v5 yesterday for $460/pair.
Since you got a steal, consider adding a relatively expensive set of outriggers; highly recommended to prevent the 60's from tipping. No affiliation with the company.

http://www.soundocity.com/
bmcn is offline  
post #34040 of 34047 Unread Today, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
porschetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Any prestige owners here? Wanna chime in with a review or two about the 55f and matching center?
porschetech is online now  
post #34041 of 34047 Unread Today, 06:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetech View Post
Any prestige owners here? Wanna chime in with a review or two about the 55f and matching center?
55f? Which one do you mean?

I feel like the 85f is the sweet spot. They're outstanding speakers especially for home theater. Both centers are great but the fact that they offer the huge one is... huge.
Contuzzi is online now  
post #34042 of 34047 Unread Today, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
porschetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
55f? Which one do you mean?

I feel like the 85f is the sweet spot. They're outstanding speakers especially for home theater. Both centers are great but the fact that they offer the huge one is... huge.
opps sorry......I meant the 75f with the matching center. the 85f would be great but more out of my price range, although that huge center is very attractive
porschetech is online now  
post #34043 of 34047 Unread Today, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
jrod9707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas-DFW, TX
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Smile

Hey guys, I currently have a Def Tech 5.2.4 Atmos setup in a 13' x 14' room with cathedral ceilings and one wall that is open.

My wallet is not huge but I am returning a SVS PC2000 due to being defective. The Paradigm Seismic may be an option.

Ive always wanted to own Paradigm equipment and now it looks like I may have that option.

What are your thoughts,power on the seismic sub?
Also what would the going rate(best price) be for a floor model?

Sorry to sound so cheap but my budget has gone down quite a bit after I began building my theatre room and other costs in life have priorities.

Thank you!!



jrod9707 is online now  
post #34044 of 34047 Unread Today, 06:56 PM
Senior Member
 
porschetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9707 View Post
Hey guys, I currently have a Def Tech 5.2.4 Atmos setup in a 13' x 14' room with cathedral ceilings and one wall that is open.

My wallet is not huge but I am returning a SVS PC2000 due to being defective. The Paradigm Seismic may be an option.

Ive always wanted to own Paradigm equipment and now it looks like I may have that option.

What are your thoughts,power on the seismic sub?
Also what would the going rate(best price) be for a floor model?

Sorry to sound so cheap but my budget has gone down quite a bit after I began building my theatre room and other costs in life have priorities.

Thank you!!


I run dual seismic 10 subs and they are amazing!! I have thought about selling them and going a different route
porschetech is online now  
post #34045 of 34047 Unread Today, 07:01 PM
Member
 
jetmech101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Long story short, Ive decided to keep my 95fs. I was trying to return them and aquire the Revels instead. For my Studio 100 setup Im running a 7701 with a Halo A51. I got a smoking deal on a 7702mkii and MM7055.

Question to all, is the MM7055 going to be enough for the 95s, or do I need more power? Room is about 18x20 by 18 feet high(think 2 story great room) MLP is about 10 feet away. Im not looking for sustained reference but do like it loud sometimes, like a setting of 65-75 on the 7701 main volume dial. BTW, the 'digms do sound great......so far, but right now they are connected to an old NR709. Thanks...
jetmech101 is online now  
post #34046 of 34047 Unread Today, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
xirtam2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech101 View Post
Long story short, Ive decided to keep my 95fs. I was trying to return them and aquire the Revels instead. For my Studio 100 setup Im running a 7701 with a Halo A51. I got a smoking deal on a 7702mkii and MM7055.

Question to all, is the MM7055 going to be enough for the 95s, or do I need more power? Room is about 18x20 by 18 feet high(think 2 story great room) MLP is about 10 feet away. Im not looking for sustained reference but do like it loud sometimes, like a setting of 65-75 on the 7701 main volume dial. BTW, the 'digms do sound great......so far, but right now they are connected to an old NR709. Thanks...

The Parasound Halo A51 amp is a MUCH BETTER amp all around than the Marantz MM7055. It is in a different league. Put the Parasound where you want the better sound quality.

Sure the MM7055 can drive the speakers, but it won't be anything like a Parasound Halo A51.

I just had an Emotiva amp and upgraded to Parasound Halo A21. All I can say is wow - there was a night and day difference.
xirtam2005 is online now  
post #34047 of 34047 Unread Today, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetech View Post
opps sorry......I meant the 75f with the matching center. the 85f would be great but more out of my price range, although that huge center is very attractive
The 75's are awesome. They are so small and unobtrusive, yet have a huge sound and are able to play very loud. The smaller center is 85% what the bigger one is, so I wouldn't worry.
Contuzzi is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off