Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1150 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 930Likes
post #34471 of 34492 Unread 05-07-2017, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
I have a pair of studio ADP-590 V.5 in black I want to sell they are in perfect condition used for about two years in a dedicated ht. I'm wondering What would be a fair price?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vegar69, I am interested in your studio adp-590 v5. I will look for your post in the classified section of this forum so as not to upset the moderators. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34472 of 34492 Unread 05-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,
Will be auditioning the Prestige 85F as one of my potential speaker choices. Researching different amps/integrated amps. The Simaudio Neo ACE looks interesting to me, though, at 50 Watts per channel at 8Ω will the Neo ACE be a good amp to drive the 85F's? (Also looking at the NAD M32, the new Anthem STR, and others.)

Thanks
post #34473 of 34492 Unread 05-11-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikav View Post
Hi,
Will be auditioning the Prestige 85F as one of my potential speaker choices. Researching different amps/integrated amps. The Simaudio Neo ACE looks interesting to me, though, at 50 Watts per channel at 8Ω will the Neo ACE be a good amp to drive the 85F's? (Also looking at the NAD M32, the new Anthem STR, and others.)

Thanks
The 85's are pretty efficient so they don't need a lot of power to
Play loud....unless...you sit far away from the speakers and/or you
Have a large listening area.

The Sim looks nice but I wonder if it has enough power.(see above)

The NAD is a bit more powerful but uses a class D amp. Some folks
Aren't real positive about class D. I have no experience with them.
Also sometimes NAD reliability is an issue. Based on what I've read
Here.

The Anthem STR would be my choice. Plenty of power. Best of
All it has Anthem Room Correction (ARC) which is very highly
Regarded. I am very pleased with my Anthem and how well
ARC worked in my living room.

My opinions..good luck!

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)

post #34474 of 34492 Unread 05-11-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2795 Post(s)
Liked: 1940
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 - feedback please

Am about to buy a used pair of these for a friend of mine, who'll be powering them with a Marantz 5400 for strictly 2 channel music. Thoughts?

The Marantz is somewhat beefy and shouldn't have any trouble driving them, right? He doesn't have a huge room nor listens super loud, but I remember ages ago reading someone on one of these forums saying the Studio series are a bit power hungry?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #34475 of 34492 Unread 05-11-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Am about to buy a used pair of these for a friend of mine, who'll be powering them with a Marantz 5400 for strictly 2 channel music. Thoughts?

The Marantz is somewhat beefy and shouldn't have any trouble driving them, right? He doesn't have a huge room nor listens super loud, but I remember ages ago reading someone on one of these forums saying the Studio series are a bit power hungry?
The Marantz should be fine for those speakers. Most of what you
Read about the Studios being power hungry pertained to the
Large Studio 100's which could really gobble up the power.

I'm running the Studio 40's v4 (which have a similar driver
Layout except in a very large 'bookshelf' enclosure) with a
Marantz sr5003 and have no issues in my bedroom.
Zorba922 likes this.

Rythmik F12 subs
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #34476 of 34492 Unread 05-12-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
The NAD is a bit more powerful but uses a class D amp. Some folks
Aren't real positive about class D.

The Anthem STR would be my choice. Plenty of power. Best of
All it has Anthem Room Correction (ARC) which is very highly
Regarded. I am very pleased with my Anthem and how well
ARC worked in my living room.

My opinions..good luck!
I would not worry about a class D amp driving these speakers. I use a class D, it's fantastic. I've also heard the 85Fs with the diminutive PW Amp (Class D) in the same room with the MCA525 - no difference to me. Both sounded fantastic.

STR is not a bad recommendation!

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #34477 of 34492 Unread 05-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I would not worry about a class D amp driving these speakers. I use a class D, it's fantastic. I've also heard the 85Fs with the diminutive PW Amp (Class D) in the same room with the MCA525 - no difference to me. Both sounded fantastic.

STR is not a bad recommendation!
FWIW I've done extensive listening with a PW amp on multiple systems and as much as I love paradigm and Anthem stuff, it's junk. Very thin and irritating sounding. I'm surprised you didn't notice the difference. Compared to a Peachtree Nova 150 or 300, it's no comparison. Class D can be great and is getting better and better each year, but that PW Amp is one of the unique amps that I actually found very bad sounding.
post #34478 of 34492 Unread 05-12-2017, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Marantz should be fine for those speakers. Most of what you
Read about the Studios being power hungry pertained to the Large Studio 100's which could really gobble up the power.

I'm running the Studio 40's v4 (which have a similar driver
Layout except in a very large 'bookshelf' enclosure) with a
Marantz sr5003 and have no issues in my bedroom.
Whelp, just heard them tonight and went ahead and bought them. They sound very nice, the seller had them powered by what looked like 1990s Yamaha stereo receiver. Anyway, my friend is not an audiophile just wants some nice tunes so I think he'll be very pleased. I was amazed at the bass slam and punchiness, definitely no need for a sub for music listening with these...can't imagine what the extra bass of the Studio 100s could possibly add.

The treble seemed just slightly rough, not harsh or bright necessarily, but just a tad jagged compared to my humble but buttery smooth Wharfedales though...probably because my ears are just not used to them yet, and/or not the greatest power source behind them.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #34479 of 34492 Unread 05-12-2017, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whelp, just heard them tonight and went ahead and bought them. They sound very nice, the seller had them powered by what looked like 1990s Yamaha stereo receiver. Anyway, my friend is not an audiophile just wants some nice tunes so I think he'll be very pleased. I was amazed at the bass slam and punchiness, definitely no need for a sub for music listening with these...can't imagine what the extra bass of the Studio 100s could possibly add.

The treble seemed just slightly rough, not harsh or bright necessarily, but just a tad jagged compared to my humble but buttery smooth Wharfedales though...probably because my ears are just not used to them yet, and/or not the greatest power source behind them.
Glad to hear that he likes the speakers. The tweeters Probably just
Are a bit different than what you are used to. What matters is your
Friend is happy!

Rythmik F12 subs
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #34480 of 34492 Unread 05-13-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
FWIW I've done extensive listening with a PW amp on multiple systems and as much as I love paradigm and Anthem stuff, it's junk. Very thin and irritating sounding. I'm surprised you didn't notice the difference. Compared to a Peachtree Nova 150 or 300, it's no comparison. Class D can be great and is getting better and better each year, but that PW Amp is one of the unique amps that I actually found very bad sounding.
Didn't notice at all. But, this of course was not anything extensive like what you've done, so I would defer to your experiences with it.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #34481 of 34492 Unread 05-13-2017, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 141
It's a total wash out in PA. Perfect day to drive the 'Digms at reference levels with a Stevie Wonder concert. Money well spent🤑
Besides, it's his Birthday

Yamaha 2010
Oppo 103D,ATV3,PS3, Samsung UN60ES7100F, Bluesound Vault 2 and Pulse Mini, Harmony One, Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's. B&W P5
Zone2-Paradigm SE-1's, Zone3-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM

Last edited by pappaduke; 05-13-2017 at 11:29 AM.
post #34482 of 34492 Unread 05-15-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 243
AMP for 75F and 45C's

I have a 7.2.4 system off a Marantz 7010. It actually powers 7.2.2 and then I have an external amp on 2 of the ceiling channels. I'm concerned about the output and THD of the integrated amp for my front 3. Is this a real issue? Would a dedicated amp for my front 3 with a lower THD be a good idea? If so, what wattage would be good for the 45C and 75F?

Thanks,
Joe

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
2 x Paradigm Prestige 75F's
1 x Paradigm Prestige 45C
8 x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
TV: LG 65B6
post #34483 of 34492 Unread 05-15-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
I have a 7.2.4 system off a Marantz 7010. It actually powers 7.2.2 and then I have an external amp on 2 of the ceiling channels. I'm concerned about the output and THD of the integrated amp for my front 3. Is this a real issue? Would a dedicated amp for my front 3 with a lower THD be a good idea? If so, what wattage would be good for the 45C and 75F?
A dedicated amp for the front isn't necessarily a BAD idea, but it isn't necessarily, well, necessary - unless you're suspect of a specific issue. But yes, this is not an uncommon recommendation - let a separate, quality amp handle the 2 or 3 most important speakers in a system, reduce the load on the receiver.

Why are you concerned? Are things sounding off, or are you getting audible distortion, or.....??

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #34484 of 34492 Unread 05-15-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A dedicated amp for the front isn't necessarily a BAD idea, but it isn't necessarily, well, necessary - unless you're suspect of a specific issue. But yes, this is not an uncommon recommendation - let a separate, quality amp handle the 2 or 3 most important speakers in a system, reduce the load on the receiver.

Why are you concerned? Are things sounding off, or are you getting audible distortion, or.....??
thanks for responding. No I haven't gotten audible distortion that I'm aware of. I just dropped a mint on this set up and I don't want to undercut the performance is all. I had distortion when I set the 75F's to full range but I've since added them to an 80Hz crossover and the issue subsided.

I want to maximize my investment but I also want to stay out of snake oil territory.

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
post #34485 of 34492 Unread 05-15-2017, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post

Thanks,

Joe

Hmm. Rowing a similar boat.

I found yesterday when I was blaring mad max without the subs that my speakers were hardly doing anything, apparently crossed over so high there was no low/midrange. That confirmed why I was not running out of juice at upper volumes.

I since changed them to large, which they can handle but re-realized that my processor becomes confused on what bass to send to the subwoofers. (Yamaha). I hope it changes with the marantz.

I went separates because I wanted atmos; and the extra power it provides is pretty meaningless at my listening volumes. (But now way exceeds what I had, in terms of high volume clarity)

At some point, with the power the volume becomes much to loud to discern clarity.

Everyone's results will vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Chris
R55Ti x2 R5bi R56ci RBH 15" VA-615's
(7) Crown XLS/(2) 18" Martys/(3) 12's
Marantz 7702mkII
post #34486 of 34492 Unread 05-15-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hotness View Post

I found yesterday when I was blaring mad max without the subs that my speakers were hardly doing anything, apparently crossed over so high there was no low/midrange. That confirmed why I was not running out of juice at upper volumes.

I since changed them to large, which they can handle but re-realized that my processor becomes confused on what bass to send to the subwoofers. (Yamaha). I hope it changes with the marantz.

I went separates because I wanted atmos; and the extra power it provides is pretty meaningless at my listening volumes. (But now way exceeds what I had, in terms of high volume clarity)

At some point, with the power the volume becomes much to loud to discern clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm wondering if this won't be an issue due to having the xo at 80Hz

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
post #34487 of 34492 Unread 05-15-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Glad to hear that he likes the speakers. The tweeters Probably just
Are a bit different than what you are used to. What matters is your Friend is happy!
Oh yeah, he was in awe...even called them "holographic" even though I'm pretty sure he's never read an audio review in his life which would have used that term to describe the way a speaker can sound.

Now, out of curiosity: where would you put them on the "bright" vs "warm" scale? Asking because I've heard different people describe Paradigms with both terms.

Not sure exactly how I'd describe their presentation, really. I thought these Studio 60s had amazing clarity and made individual notes really stand out in a way that my Wharfedales don't, and neither did my old Ascends (which were otherwise very very detailed) but I also wonder if I would find them fatiguing after say, an hour or more of listening.

Guess I'll just have to arrange a time with him to go spend maybe an afternoon listening to them...

post #34488 of 34492 Unread 05-15-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, he was in awe...even called them "holographic" even though I'm pretty sure he's never read an audio review in his life which would have used that term to describe the way a speaker can sound.

Now, out of curiosity: where would you put them on the "bright" vs "warm" scale? Asking because I've heard different people describe Paradigms with both terms.

Not sure exactly how I'd describe their presentation, really. I thought these Studio 60s had amazing clarity and made individual notes really stand out in a way that my Wharfedales don't, and neither did my old Ascends (which were otherwise very very detailed) but I also wonder if I would find them fatiguing after say, an hour or more of listening.

Guess I'll just have to arrange a time with him to go spend maybe an afternoon listening to them...
Well I characterize them as leaning toward the bright side. Certainly
Not even close to Klipsch bright though. They are going to be even
Brighter in a room with lots of hard reflective surfaces. Now the
Beryllium tweeter in the Signature series is just flat out smooth.
Big difference between them and the Studios.

Rythmik F12 subs
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #34489 of 34492 Unread 05-16-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hotness View Post

The highest I turn it up to is -15Db.

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
post #34490 of 34492 Unread Today, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After a lonnnng process I finally completed my setup. CC690 and Studio 20s v5.

I ran Audyssey so what do you guys recommend for Crossovers for the fronts? I have them set at 80hz (pretty good subwoofer) but I might turn them down to 60, not sure yet. I think it would be ideal to have them at the same Xover.
post #34491 of 34492 Unread Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pee View Post
After a lonnnng process I finally completed my setup. CC690 and Studio 20s v5.

I ran Audyssey so what do you guys recommend for Crossovers for the fronts? I have them set at 80hz (pretty good subwoofer) but I might turn them down to 60, not sure yet. I think it would be ideal to have them at the same Xover.
That's easy - experiment with it! See what you find the most pleasing.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #34492 of 34492 Unread Today, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
That's easy - experiment with it! See what you find the most pleasing.
For sure, but maybe have the grills off when using a 60hz crossover to make sure the woofers aren't moving too much with the max volume you'll be listening at. And if you leave the speakers at 60hz then probably set the sub at 60hz as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems