Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1155 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 965Likes

post #34621 of 34647 Old 07-19-2017, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sub-hum help

Today, I started to have issues with my paradigm sesmic12 subwoofer. After having the unit for years, it has started hum when plugged into the wall.

In an attempt to locate the problem, I disconnected the sub cable and the hum stopped. I switched to the balance sub input, and the hum stopped.

Is there a problem with the sub, sub cable, or wall outlet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34622 of 34647 Old 07-19-2017, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmchristy View Post
Question about older 11se MK3 tower speakers. I am looking to replace the original tweeter in these speakers and am curious where to find an adequate replacement. I contacted Paradigm and they had no answers because of the age of these towers. I love these speakers and recently upgraded all the x-over caps which really brought them back to life. I also have a reference cc v.2 that I would like to upgrade the tweeter in as it sounds harsh.
No one? maybe this thread is only for the new paradigms?
post #34623 of 34647 Old 07-19-2017, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by k elone View Post
Maybe the cable, but sounds like upstream.

post #34624 of 34647 Old 07-19-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Maybe the cable, but sounds like upstream.

What do you mean?
post #34625 of 34647 Old 07-19-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
What do you mean?
Noise Is being put on the cable on the other end, not the sub.

Goes away w/o the cable.
Not there on the balanced input.
So the source is injecting the hum on it's output.

Or a bad cable, but bad cables don't usually create a 60hz hum.

But it could be something farther up the chain, like a DVD player or TV.

Ground loops are a pain.

Best to be systematic. Disconnect sources from the amp/processor one at a time. See if that has any effect on the hum.

Last edited by ST Dog; 07-19-2017 at 10:19 PM.
post #34626 of 34647 Old 07-19-2017, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Sub-hum help

Today, I started to have issues with my paradigm sesmic12 subwoofer. After having the unit for years, it has started hum when plugged into the wall.

In an attempt to locate the problem, I disconnected the sub cable and the hum stopped. I switched to the balance sub input, and the hum stopped.

You might have a ground-loop (60Hz hum) being caused by some other component in your system, or electronic device in the home. Has anything recently changed - added a component, altered where they were plugged in, added new lighting, etc.?

Balanced connections help eliminate this very issue (though not always successfully). It could of course be your old cable as already suggested.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #34627 of 34647 Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Sub-hum help

Sorry to not be helpful but, how do you like your Seismic? Have you been able to compare it to other subs? if so, which ones? I'm looking into one of these.

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
2 x Paradigm Prestige 75F's
1 x Paradigm Prestige 45C
8 x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
TV: LG 65B6
post #34628 of 34647 Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Excellent input!

Gotcha! Though, if you have the space for a center, you might want to consider - I find the center channel to be the most important one for HT, at least in my opinion/experience.
The only place I could put a center speaker would be in the cabinet and very close to the floor. I thought that in this position it would not sound that good, where is your center speaker located ? Is it possible to place a tv on top of a center speaker, that would solve some problems.
post #34629 of 34647 Old 07-20-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post
The only place I could put a center speaker would be in the cabinet and very close to the floor. I thought that in this position it would not sound that good, where is your center speaker located ? Is it possible to place a tv on top of a center speaker, that would solve some problems.
Close to the floor not the best solution! You'd very likely have issues with dialogue directionality. Mine is in a cabinet, but it is a relatively tall cabinet, TV sits right above it on top of the cabinet, so the sound and directional perception is not bad at all, but not perfect. I would not lace the TV right on top of the speaker, but if you built/bought a sturdy structure to place around the speaker, and set the TV on top of that, could work for you. It's a bit of work, and investment, but I doubt you'd be unhappy with having a center channel.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #34630 of 34647 Old 07-20-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Sub-hum help

Do you have cable TV?

If so, grounding block on the coax for the cable TV could help.

If not, could be a ground loop problem that others have commented about.

If the sub has a ground, try putting a "cheater plug" (three prong to 2 prong adaptor) on it that effectively pulls the ground.

If it's on some sort of surge protector or conditioner, try plugging straight into wall outlet also.
post #34631 of 34647 Old 07-20-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Sorry to not be helpful but, how do you like your Seismic? Have you been able to compare it to other subs? if so, which ones? I'm looking into one of these.
I have had the sub for several years. The only previous subs that I have actually own were a 10" paradigm sub and a 12" Klipsch sub. The seismic 12 sound better for music and movies. It also appears to intergrated better with my studio 60's and 40's speakers as pertains to not being able localize bass coming from the sub. When playing music, it appears that the "bass or full sound" is coming from the speakers only.
post #34632 of 34647 Old 07-20-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Do you have cable TV?

If so, grounding block on the coax for the cable TV could help.

If not, could be a ground loop problem that others have commented about.

If the sub has a ground, try putting a "cheater plug" (three prong to 2 prong adaptor) on it that effectively pulls the ground.

If it's on some sort of surge protector or conditioner, try plugging straight into wall outlet also.

Today,

I replaced the sub cable, and I still had the hum. I plugged the sub into a monster power center, and I still got the hum. I plug the sub into a different outlet, and I still got the hum. I unplugged the receiver, and I still got the hum. One thing that I noticed was the fact that the sound of hum the started off low, but the sound got loader after a few seconds.

Becoming frustrated, I put a cheater plug on the unit, and the hum stopped. Is there any issues with using the cheater plug directly in to the wall or should a plug the cheater plug into the monster power center before plugging the sub into it?
post #34633 of 34647 Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 666
The cheater plug is a good diagnostic tool but shouldn't be used all the time. If there is ever a problem with the sub it will energize the sub with a cheater plug installed. What you confirmed with the cheater plug is there is a ground loop problem. Usually, this is caused when a low voltage line like, cable, satellite, phone, etc. is not grounded at the electrical service entrance to your home. I see this a lot in older homes where these services were added later than the electrical service. The best solution is to fix the grounding issue but it is often not the easiest solution. The easiest solution is to get aground loop isolator. I would put it on the cable line if possible. Even people that don't have cable TV often have this problem because they have cable for internet and their internet is wired somewhere to their HT. For cable try one of these on your cable line.
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/vrd-1ff/

Or you can use one on your sub cable.
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/sub-1rr/
Spock1234 likes this.
post #34634 of 34647 Old 07-20-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Today,

I replaced the sub cable, and I still had the hum. I plugged the sub into a monster power center, and I still got the hum. I plug the sub into a different outlet, and I still got the hum. I unplugged the receiver, and I still got the hum. One thing that I noticed was the fact that the sound of hum the started off low, but the sound got loader after a few seconds.

Becoming frustrated, I put a cheater plug on the unit, and the hum stopped. Is there any issues with using the cheater plug directly in to the wall or should a plug the cheater plug into the monster power center before plugging the sub into it?

After doing some more research, I discovered that the cheater plug was a bad idea. Consequently, I unhooked it from my sub. Trying to locate the problem, I unplugged my cable box and disconnect the coaxial cable from the unit. After doing so, I plugged the sub back up, and the hum was gone. I guess I will be heading to Cox Cable for assistance tomorrow.
post #34635 of 34647 Old 07-20-2017, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Quote:
Today,

After doing some more research, I discovered that the cheater plug was a bad idea. Consequently, I unhooked it from my sub. Trying to locate the problem, I unplugged my cable box and disconnect the coaxial cable from the unit. After doing so, I plugged the sub back up, and the hum was gone. I guess I will be heading to Cox Cable for assistance tomorrow.
Have them add a grounding block.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1500610545075.png
Views:	30
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	2249993  
Spock1234 likes this.
post #34636 of 34647 Old 07-21-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Or you can use one on your sub cable.
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/sub-1rr/
Yes, if the problem persists, Jensen transformers are a great solution. Great company and products.

Quote:
As already indicated, cheaters are a diagnostic "tool" - and just that.

You said you had no hum with the XLR cable, why not just stick with that?

My hum issue was cable-related as well - and had specifically to do with the safety ground outside the house, strapped to a water pipe - simply too far from main ground, and allowed for the differential that caused the hum. Killed the grounding point, problem solved. Had Comcast relocate safety ground.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #34637 of 34647 Old 07-21-2017, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As of tomorrow I'll have sold my 45C and just put in an order for a 55C! I'm mounting my TV and will have the center channel on top of the media center.

Next up is I'm auditioning a Seismic 110 next to my mains. I suspect I'll love it and won't be able to afford 2 for quite some time

Thoughts on if an Outlaw 5ch 120W will improve the sound of the front stage at -15dB (prestige 75F and 55C).
Scarriere and Jonas2 like this.

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
post #34638 of 34647 Old 07-22-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
As of tomorrow I'll have sold my 45C and just put in an order for a 55C! I'm mounting my TV and will have the center channel on top of the media center.
Good move! I think you'll be pleased with the results, look forward to hearing them!!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #34639 of 34647 Old 07-22-2017, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Timbre matching legacy Paradigm speakers

So I've loved my little 5.1 home theater for years upgrading my pre/pro, amps, and projector over the last few years, but I love my Studio 100's and Studio CC. Sub is a PW 2200. I have surround ADP 170's but I'm going to bite the bullet and move to Atmos/DTS:X. at 5.1.4 or 5.2.4 and start cutting holes in my finished ceiling. I don't do much music listening in this room. I really don't want to replace my Studio's but being that ADP 170's are dipoles, they have to go. Would the new Prestige 25S be suitably matched with my fronts? Should I find some used Studio 20's from that generation? I was planning Paradigm Ci elite 80-R's for the atmos in ceiling speakers. Love to hear some thoughts

Thanks!
post #34640 of 34647 Old 07-22-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsurG View Post
So I've loved my little 5.1 home theater for years upgrading my pre/pro, amps, and projector over the last few years, but I love my Studio 100's and Studio CC. Sub is a PW 2200. I have surround ADP 170's but I'm going to bite the bullet and move to Atmos/DTS:X. at 5.1.4 or 5.2.4 and start cutting holes in my finished ceiling. I don't do much music listening in this room. I really don't want to replace my Studio's but being that ADP 170's are dipoles, they have to go. Would the new Prestige 25S be suitably matched with my fronts? Should I find some used Studio 20's from that generation? I was planning Paradigm Ci elite 80-R's for the atmos in ceiling speakers. Love to hear some thoughts

Thanks!
I have the Pros and they sound great. You're not going to get a ton of output coming from the ceiling speakers but if you can afford it the piece of mind knowing you have the best in your tops may be worth the extra money.

If you can do atmos, I'd highly recommend it. Those speakers are supposed to have some volumetric constraint behind them (i.e. a box). I built my own. I don't remember the dimensions but paradigm will know.
Scarriere likes this.

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
post #34641 of 34647 Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Question Am I crazy? Mix Paradigm Millenia LP 2 w/ Paradigm Monitor Centre 3 v7

Hi everyone, I've lurked a long time and I was hoping for some input.

I have some size constraints above/below/beside my projector screen that I was hoping to address using on wall speakers. Initial plan was LCR Paradigm LP 2 (already have rears mounted, atmos in-ceiling).

Am I crazy to consider mixing Millenia LP 2 as my L/R and a Paradigm Monitor Centre 3? Will voicing be terrible doing this? I have a Marantz NR1607 driving this setup. Perhaps I should consider Millenia XL, but then I was concerned not enough power to drive these larger speakers?

I'm not fully opposed to another LP 2 as my centre, but I will have a media cabinet that can support a standard cabinet top speaker for a centre channel. I was hoping, in combination with a decent sub, a normal centre speaker may offset some of the 'hollowness' I've encountered when listening to on wall speakers. Any thoughts would be tremendously appreciated.

(As an aside, currently opposed to tower speakers due to small children, so on-wall is our best go to for now. I've also listened to, and enjoyed, Tribe II on wall, but they were becoming cost prohibitive and the depth was larger than desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheatreLayout.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2258225  
post #34642 of 34647 Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryz View Post

I have some size constraints above/below/beside my projector screen that I was hoping to address using on wall speakers. Initial plan was LCR Paradigm LP 2 (already have rears mounted, atmos in-ceiling).

Am I crazy to consider mixing Millenia LP 2 as my L/R and a Paradigm Monitor Centre 3? Will voicing be terrible doing this? I have a Marantz NR1607 driving this setup. Perhaps I should consider Millenia XL, but then I was concerned not enough power to drive these larger speakers?
I have not done what you are considering, however, I upgraded to Prestige 95F L/R and 55C last year. At the time, I talked to my dealer about using Monitor surrounds. They did not recommend against it. In case you are wondering - I trust my dealer as they have never steered me wrong.

My advice is to if you can, listen to the Millenias at a dealer. You might be able to audition the same setup that you are considering at a dealer.

Right now, I have 5se MK III two-way floor standing speakers for my rear speakers and the sound field sounds reasonable, IMO. That said, the L/R are more important than rears in that they deliver music with some voice - depending on your source material. Still, your best bet is to audition the speakers; however, I doubt that there will be a serious disconnect in sound quality between the Monitor center and the Millenias.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
post #34643 of 34647 Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
(As an aside, currently opposed to tower speakers due to small children, so on-wall is our best go to for now. I've also listened to, and enjoyed, Tribe II on wall, but they were becoming cost prohibitive and the depth was larger than desired.
I hear that, no pun intended. The Tribes are costly, and I'd recommend at least the Tribe III with the Torrent drivers if you could stretch your budget - they do not disappoint, if you could live with the depth that is. But seeing as this is a Paradigm thread, I'll shut up now....

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #34644 of 34647 Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

Quote:
As an aside, currently opposed to tower speakers due to small children, so on-wall is our best go to for now.
Just curious what your concerns are.

I bought my Monitors when my son was 5 and had no issues with him or his sister 5 yrs later.
post #34645 of 34647 Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

I'm not as concerned, as I think I could restrain them fine, but my wife is worried about having expensive equipment on the floor in an unsupervised room (media room is doubling as a play area)...so on-walls above toddler height seems to make her happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Just curious what your concerns are.

I bought my Monitors when my son was 5 and had no issues with him or his sister 5 yrs later.
post #34646 of 34647 Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM

Quote:
seems to make her happier.
WAF is perfectly valid reason
post #34647 of 34647 Old Today, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I'm not fully opposed to another LP 2 as my centre, but I will have a media cabinet that can support a standard cabinet top speaker for a centre channel. I was hoping, in combination with a decent sub, a normal centre speaker may offset some of the 'hollowness' I've encountered when listening to on wall speakers. Any thoughts would be tremendously appreciated.

So, I really tried for WAF on tower speakers, and got nowhere...so low profile it is.

Currently I think Totem is out of my budget, as I'd end up going for something like Tribe III to be happy...so for now, I think I'm going to seriously consider Paradigm LP 2 or XL. MSRP is 600CAD for LP 2, 850 for XL. I missed out on 20% off at my local dealer, but I figure he can give me at least some break on price for LCR + Sub.

I've seen some notes about C placement of an LP 2 or XL as being less than optimal due to panning being messy. This was a bit of why I thought to get a cabinet placed C channel to pair up with LP 2 or XL.

Further questions:
- I've heard XL, they sounded alright, but seemed lacking in some depth of sound. I figure that I'll be disappointed if I drop back to LP 2 then. Anyone actually compared LP 2 to XL?

- Bumping the question on matching up with a Paradigm Monitor Centre? Crazy? Worth it?

- Now I just need to figure out what sub to get. One store was pushing me toward JL Dominion 10", but I honestly have less of an ear for what to look for regarding sub. Given how important it is to have a sub with these on walls, assuming I move forward with Paradigm LP or XL, any ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page