Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 972Likes

post #34681 of 34689 Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteak View Post
I don't know. I was watching How to Train Your Dragon in 3D when I noticed it for the first time. I've had the Esprit BP towers and CC450 for 21 years and they still sound nice. Only had the Sigs for 3 years.
Would this be something that is covered under warranty? Even if not, the sigs have a 5 year warranty and Paradigm just recently stopped selling them. Maybe what 2 years ago is that? What were they planning on doing for real warranty claims within the 5 year warranty? Telling customers that they can not repair the warrantied speakers?

I got mine sometime in 2014 and I am still under warranty. But I barely use my stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34682 of 34689 Old 08-16-2017, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelwright View Post
What were they planning on doing for real warranty claims within the 5 year warranty? Telling customers that they can not repair the warrantied speakers?
Nope, they're obligated to repair them under the warranty period in spite of being discontinued.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #34683 of 34689 Old 08-16-2017, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
What were they planning on doing for real warranty claims within the 5 year warranty? Telling customers that they can not repair the warrantied speakers?
Likely they have a parts stashed to cover warranty repairs, they just won't sell them.

Other than that, upgraded drivers are an option.

Last edited by ST Dog; Today at 09:04 AM.

post #34684 of 34689 Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm a beginner so these questions my be simple for the more experienced people.

I'm configuring a 5.1 setup in a new home with in-wall LCR. I have to mount the C above the TV. The ceilings are 9ft. The floor is hardwood and the seating area is 11ft from the wall. The viewing area is one corner of an open concept space. The C will be 6.5ft above the floor. This is roughly 15deg above the listener.

The Paradigm H55-LCR has been suggested for L/C/R and the H55-R for the rear surrounds.

I'm concerned that because the center H55-LCR can't be aimed at the listener the center channel performance will be poor.

I have little experience with this issues so I have not way to judge this. The only aimable speaker I could find is the SpeakerCraft AIM series but I van't find any reviews of them. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Please and thanks!
post #34685 of 34689 Old Today, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Requesting Recommendation on Center

Currently have a 2-Channel setup, Studio 60v5. Looking to add a center, options that fit into my space seem to be.
  1. Used CC-490.
  2. Used CC-590.
  3. New 45C.
Thanks in advanced for your input and recommendations.
post #34686 of 34689 Old Today, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Would this be something that is covered under warranty? Even if not, the sigs have a 5 year warranty and Paradigm just recently stopped selling them. Maybe what 2 years ago is that? What were they planning on doing for real warranty claims within the 5 year warranty? Telling customers that they can not repair the warrantied speakers?
My contact at Paradigm says they are being repaired under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Nope, they're obligated to repair them under the warranty period in spite of being discontinued.
Seems that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Likely they have a parts stash to cover warranty repairs, they just won't sell them.

Other than that, upgraded drivers are an option.
My hope was that they have spare drivers, but that's not what they're saying. They will have to "re-cone" the speaker. I seriously hope that works. When you say "upgraded" drivers, do you mean new speakers (they didn't mention anything about upgraded drivers)? Geez I hope it doesn't come to that. For me, these speakers were very expensive.
post #34687 of 34689 Old Today, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Mastiff View Post
Currently have a 2-Channel setup, Studio 60v5. Looking to add a center, options that fit into my space seem to be.
  1. Used CC-490.
  2. Used CC-590.
  3. New 45C.
Thanks in advanced for your input and recommendations.
The Prestige are a good step up from the studios, but if you don't plan on upgrading the others to prestige as well, I'd go used CC-590 or 490. Another Studio 60V5 as center would be best, but most people can't or won't make it work.
post #34688 of 34689 Old Today, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteak View Post
They will have to "re-cone" the speaker. I seriously hope that works. When you say "upgraded" drivers, do you mean new speakers (they didn't mention anything about upgraded drivers)?
Usually recone would include new surrounds and voice coils. Basically everything but the frame and magnet.

If they have everything except the frame and magnet then that's effectively a spare driver, as long as the frame and magnet are intact. Wouldn't help with something like fire melting the frame, or other physical damage to those few parts.

By upgraded driver​ I mean newer design of the same size. It'd fit in your existing cabinet.

Last edited by ST Dog; Today at 09:08 AM.
post #34689 of 34689 Old Today, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Usually recone would include new surrounds and voice coils. Basically everything but the frame and magnet.

If they have everything except the frame and magnet then that's effectively a spare driver, as long as the frame and magnet are intact. Wouldn't help with something like fire melting the frame, or other physical damage to those few parts.

By upgraded driver​ I mean newer design of the same size. It'd fit in your existing cabinet.
Thanks for the information.

It's strange because I would watch many movies or surround discs that would sound fine, and then one scene of a movie would create a horrible upper end sound (like T2 Trainspotting, club scene where everyone is singing Queen's Radio Ga Ga).

Hopefully they'll take care of it, 4-6 weeks though. UGH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page