Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #451 of 30641 Old 10-09-2005, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
deafgoose..Sorry I just don't get that kind of logic What about enjoying what he can afford today? In his room? I bought my Signatures based on my room today, though it is also small, money wasn't an issue with me. Buying more expensive and larger speakerss makes no sense to me based on an idea that some day I'd be moving to a larger house and/or room. I bought what would sound great to me in my room today. And yes, I too will be moving someday, and when that day comes I'll make the adjustment just fine, sell what I have and buy according to what I need then. But at least tody I can enjoy what I have in what the constraints the room size and acoustics allows me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 30641 Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 AM

Liked: 10
Deafgoose
Just get what you can afford that sounds good to you in your room. I just bought
4 S2 and C3 for the living room. I could have bought the S8 but room too small to let the speakers shine. So if 2K budget stick with it. You WILL replace them eventually.

I Just picked up 4 S2 and they do sound brighter in by room, but image better than 20 V3 or studio 100 V3

All speakers Driven by Sherbourne 2100 and Ref 50 via balanced cables. Bi wired

RJ
post #453 of 30641 Old 10-09-2005, 08:48 PM

Hmmmm, where to begin??
This is going to be my first Home Theatre (very excited) for my new house. I was thinking about the SA-35 in walls along with the sa-15s (wife doesn't like tower speaks ) but as i have been reading post after post for the past few months i am beginning to think my room is quite to big for em. Attached is the room with dimensions they would be going in, along with some markings of make shift locations. Would i be better off just talking my wife into the Studio 100s, due to the size of the room. This will be for HT and Music, so i don't want something that would not be able to fill the room with quality sound. Also, would the SA-15s be sufficient for surround. Any info is greatly appreciated, i plan on staying here for a long, long time so i want to it right the first run around.
LL
post #454 of 30641 Old 10-10-2005, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

rjsquirrel, nice choice of speakers Curious...did you give the ADP's a thought or were they unsuitable for your particular needs? I did not have the room in the rear for 2 more S2's so the ADP was they only viable option...and a great one at that for me in my particular setup and constraints.

I'm super pleased with the Signatures using the Arcam gear delivering to them. I get a very smooth mid range , maybe a little warm which is good for the sax/horns, the highs are super articulate an highly defining, bass is deep, tight and fast. I have them set almost perfectly with crossover and the EQ on the sub makes their interaction almost seamless with doing an accurate frequency sweep to set the EQ accurately...it really works folks I assume that you are/or will be useing a sub for the lo-freq's..Mines setupwell and what a difference it makes when the disc is spinning. The ADPS are accurate but I haven't exactly found their sweetspots, and what makes them tick. I set them up using the different audio discs and though they image accurately, you can't help but look at them and know they have way more potential to tap into...

The C3 is a great center for using with the Neo 6 music mode, great vocals and seems like a very seamless integration across the fronts especially music, HT is OK, just not as well recorded as music.

I'm very pleased with Arcam gear with the Signatures, I bi-amp the fronts and setup the rest with an accurate Extech SLM using the Stereophile 4 test CD's ...very useful, especially for a full frequency sweep for setting up the subwoofer EQ... I use their fmj DV29 for DVD-a, and their highly acclaimed fmj CD33 for spinning discs....An excellent match IMO, and brings out what I think to be the very best in the Signatures....these signatures anyway. WOW, I've found my "Happy-Zone" I hope that from a bit of tweaking you'll benefit from what these speakers are capable of producing

Good Luck with yours! Great choice, keep me posted
post #455 of 30641 Old 10-10-2005, 04:04 PM

I'm thinking about using 4 of ADP-90 as my surrounds probably together with CC-90 subs.
Does anyone know MSRP for these speakers ?

Thanks,
Nick
post #456 of 30641 Old 10-10-2005, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i plan on staying here for a long, long time so i want to it right the first run around.

leave the left right side surrounds where they are but replace the rear center with two rear surrounds back in the kitchen to involve the whole room and a greater sense of space behind you. Another upside is that with some rcvrs you could switch the rears to play as a second zone and get music there while tv was up front.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #457 of 30641 Old 10-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

I am looking to upgrade my CC-350 to a Used Studio center .
What would be the best choise a CC450 - LCR 450- or a CC Studio
And will there be a major diffrence in thees speakers from a CC-350
Thanks ~
post #458 of 30641 Old 10-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

I just ordered a pair of S2s and a C3 as well as an Arcam AVP 700. The Arcam has balanced outs and I understand the balanced cables are superior when you have a long run. But I don't know if it will benefit from balanced vs RCAs since the Rotel amp is only 8" away from it.

I do have long runs 15' to the speakers and am not convinced as to the benefits of bi-wired speaker cables vs the added cost. Do any you S2 owners out there have any thoughts on this?
post #459 of 30641 Old 10-11-2005, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

mikeyc, great choice of gear. I've read some good threads about the AVP700, though I think some minor hdmi switching glitches that need a tweak. Very site specific info over at the Arcam forum AVF. they just hash out Arcam issues and different applications and qualities and minor shortfalls of each piece of gear...good recommendations from em. And some are over her as well in these posts. Are you going with the J-29 stands with theS2s? If so load them up with good playground sand to solidify and change resonances associaated with different stands. The C3 is great when in sync whit the S2s, great using the Neo6 with your Arcam.

Do you plan on any rear speakers? Or just the S2,C3? and maybe a sub for future purchases? I do however bi-amp my fronts using the surround rear back channels and definitely can notice a difference from just being bi-wired previously...yea cables cost don't they, like a necesssary evil

Some of the guys over at the Arcam forum can answer questions based on their experience with the AVP700 and cabeling, check em out
post #460 of 30641 Old 10-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

wrg2: thanks for the tips, I'll check out the Arcam forum. Yes, I'm going with the J-29 stands. However, I've heard that after time the sand becomes rock hard due to the sonic vibrations and a better choice is kitty litter which doesn't change its consistency (or clump!). The guy who is selling the speakers to me is an ex Paradigm speaker designer and he highly recommends the C3s, says they're prolly the best centre channel that Paradigm makes.

Due to space constraints and a very low basement ceiling I've gone with Paradigm Ref In-ceiling speakers. I know, not my first choice but I gotta play the hand that I've been dealt.

I've also got a Velodyne DD12 on order, heard good things about it and esp like the ability to tune it to my difficult room and tailor my prefs eg, accurate, low distortion, tight bass for classical/jazz music vs slam and chest cavity pounding impact for action movies with lots of explosions.

So are you saying that your order of preference is: 1) Bi-amp, 2) Bi-wire, 3) Regular wiring?

Will regular bi-wire cable work for Bi-amping and will I need a separate amp for my rears then?
post #461 of 30641 Old 10-11-2005, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

mikeyc, I'll keep that in mind about the sand solidifying, though the particular playground sand was so fine and filled every crevice, and I tamped each quanity carefully, in different stages, little by little. I can't see any physical change taking place within the stands themselves unless they weren't packed and tamped to fill every crevice or some kind of moisture compromises the overall volume of sand, and they are just in my home with a constant temp...but certainly you have arroused some questioning. In any event I'm definitely going to cleck the solidification of the sand and if any changes have created some acoustic anomalies

Perfectly honest filling them with the correct sand was a pain in the but, no to mention time comsuming. I certainly chose that over the lead shot and "cat-liter"

So far my results are fairly predictable, a more solid fell to the bass levels, tight and accurate, the mid and high freq all seem to have a very solid snap and definition about them, no echo, or reverberations or short reflections. Just solid music created by notes operating with in a constraint defined by the limitations emposed on them by the man made restrictions of playground sand. I thought about the "kitty litter" and though I'm sure it's an interesting effect on the overall sound, it would seem to me to be jus a bit more warm, maybe lacking in definition and resonance....I'm so into clear heart pounding sound razor edge articulation, clear articulate highs and mid deep tight bass.

Man what I give to hear just the subtle difference with the different stands with different fill, sadly, it's not going to happen with me...what a pain in the ass just to get all that playground sand in thoese J-29

Anyway mikeyc, you choose well with the Arcam. The Sigs are a match made in heaven when set up correctly with Arcam. I wish that I could send you my CD33 and the DV29 to spin some discs with the SIgs and the AVP700. I'd personally love to have the AVP700/P1000 but it's just way overkill for me. The AVR300 was my introduction to the Arcam and with this particul gear I've acquired it's just "PERFECT" nothing else needed to achieve classic audiophile nirvana. Check into these Arcam separates, CD's and DVD"s , though they're a bit more expensive than some....boy are they worth it Read what Arcan users say about their equipment on the AVF

Please keeped me informed

Oh, and the C3 is oustounding, vocals and soundstage perfect, mostly I'm impressed with the bass responce, surprised actually...teriffic. You made some excellent choices now exploit them, push them to their limits..I think you'lll be pleasantly surprised..
post #462 of 30641 Old 10-11-2005, 06:30 PM

"Perfectly honest filling them with the correct sand was a pain in the but"? Hmm interesting, could someone give more details about what is exactly the "correct" sand to put in those stands?

What about putting sand INTO the towers, to fill the bottom, say a couple of inch to make them heavier, and have less resonance (I don't own any Paradigm yet), would that be a good idea?
post #463 of 30641 Old 10-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

WRG: so do you have the S2s and C3 as well? Did you just go to a local playground and "borrow" some sand, or did you buy it? Curious as to why you did not go with the kitty litter?

A CDP is my next toy and I'm debating btwn an Arcam unit, or maybe the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb, or maybe a Shanling, decisions, decisions. Is there a particular Arcam unit that you would recommend?
post #464 of 30641 Old 10-11-2005, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good evening all,

I want to upgrade my speakers, i just bought a HK AVR 635 and i am undecided between the Paradigm cinema 110CT or a combinaison of Mini monitor CC370 and ADP 370 . None of the store in my area have them in stock so i cannot audition them. So i wouldl ike to heat from anyone who has had experience with them

Alain

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #465 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Have you listened to the HK/Paradigm combo?

I have the 370 and 2 prs of minis. I had them paired with the HK 235 and hated the sound. I love HK receivers but found the combo of HK/Paradigm to sound terrible. Laid back speakers and a laid back receiver-paired together they sounded like the Paradigms had a bedsheet thrown over them. in my set-up they had muffled mids and very veiled highs. You may have better success but i sold my HK-which I really liked...
post #466 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

I just have the time this morning for one quick answer...the sand was purchased at Home Depot, I think 20lbs playground sand bags each. Sand is pretty fine, dry and I think sterilized, if I remember...
post #467 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this is an unusual experience. Paradigm make flat, accurate speakers not 'laid back'. I listened to my Studio V3's and they sounded best with Rotel and HK receivers (I bought the HK7200). The only receiver I didn't like much with the Paradigms was a Denon and then it was only for music (HT sounded great).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBryant View Post

Have you listened to the HK/Paradigm combo?

I have the 370 and 2 prs of minis. I had them paired with the HK 235 and hated the sound. I love HK receivers but found the combo of HK/Paradigm to sound terrible. Laid back speakers and a laid back receiver-paired together they sounded like the Paradigms had a bedsheet thrown over them. in my set-up they had muffled mids and very veiled highs. You may have better success but i sold my HK-which I really liked...

Healthy skepticism is the best component for your HT
post #468 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:

which is best cimena 110ct or mini monitor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good evening all,

I want to upgrade my speakers, i just bought a HK AVR 635 and i am undecided between the Paradigm cinema 110CT or a combinaison of Mini monitor CC370 and ADP 370 . None of the store in my area have them in stock so i cannot audition them. So i wouldl ike to heat from anyone who has had experience with them

Alain "

MiniMonitors will deliver much fuller sound - the 110s stop at ~110Hz for bass and will not handle as much power. The 370s are in a different league altogether.
post #469 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 01:21 PM

wrg2

I tried Paradigm Studio ADP 470 in rear. I like sigs up front and ADP in rear for HT but prefer all sigs for DVDA and SACD. I am using integra 8.5 for SACD and DVDA. I hope DVDA stays???? I use Servo 15 for bass.

I use J29 for front and back speakers are on top of two wood cabinets(WAF). Center speaker is in a seperate cabinet.

I am going to set up the family room with a 7.1 Paradigm studio system with studio 100 for mains and seperate sub. I may use adp sides and back?? I will experiment.

Do you think that the AVR300 is that good to drive the Sig S2??

RJ
post #470 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

RJ, I don't know the size of your room, mine is rather small 12X12 and with the AVR300 it's superb, couldn't see using the highly touted AV8 or even the AVP700, would be just overkill for me. I just run a 5.1 setup and bi-anp the fronts with the rear back surround channels. Excellent SQ. I mostly do 2ch and DVD-a, maybe 30% HT. I'm not used to using an all-in-one box solution, but after reading the great reviews and listening to my dealer it was worth a go, plus it's really not a bad price tag. It lives up to it's reviews, very pleased here. And again, for my size room, it more than reveals the characteristics of the S2's, C3, and the ADP's. If you have a much larger room you may be better served by the AVP700, almost the same electronics as the AVR with exception to the HDMI switching and I think balanced outs. I'm very pleased overall with Arcam gear, both my DV29 and CD33 are great additions with the Signatures. I mostly use the DV29 for DVD-a's. Not a glitch and when I was breaking in the speakers and the CD player, they sounded better each time I would spin a disc. For example every time I spin the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, I'm floored, just have to listen to the whole disc, one of the disc's that really make these small signatures shine
post #471 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 01:54 PM

I have:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V4600

DVD Player: Yamaha DVD-S2500

Front: Paradigm Reference Studio 40 whit Premier J-23

Subwoofer: Paradigm Reference Servo-15 V.2

Next upgrade:

Paradigm Reference Studio 100
Paradigm Reference CC-570
A second Paradigm Reference Servo-15 V.2
post #472 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

WRG: my room is small as well, 12x15, but I said what the heck, go for the overkill so I ordered the AVP 700 anyways. I currently have the Rotel RMB1075 amp which is 5x125w. Its prolly not as good as the Arcam 1000 but at less than half the price, I'll try it out and hope I don't have to upgrade.

I've never bi-amped before but upon a friend's recomendation I just ordered some bi-wire Q10 DH Labs speaker wire to bi-wire the Sigs.

I've heard great things about the Arcam cd and dvd players, I may have to upgrade to those as well! Do you think your CD player sounds better with CDs than your DVD player? I'm wondering if I could get away with just buying the DVD player?

I'll also have to pick up Brothers in Arms cd. is it a DVD-A that you're referring to?
post #473 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

mikeyc, I bought the Brothers in Arms dual disc, it does have the 5.1 surround on the one disc but the regular CD is a brilliant recording and my CD33 upsamples that. The SQ is just amazing on the disc...one of the best I've heard recently. I think that you're going to really enjoy the AVP700. I was of the same thought that I'd just buy the DV29 and use it for both dvd and cd. Though the cd playback is very good, very good especially for a dvd player and some are satisfied with using it as double duty. There's several discussions on the Arcam forum regarding this same subjects. I bought my DV29 first and played many discs and was very happy with it, and it should with the 3k pricetag. DVD-a's really shine with the 29. It drove me crazy with many posting that it's a significant difference spinning disc with the stand alone players. The flagship at that time a few months ago was the fmj CD33. I was wondering if it was worth it to justify the $2400 tag on that. Fortunately for me the CD36 was just making it's debut and the new models were tobe soon shipped the states, I called my dealer here in Miami and asked if they would offer any incentives on the outgoing CD33 to make room for the 36, They did and I picked it up for $1900/+tax and I jumped on it. The CD33 has some really great reviews on the net to include PlayBoys top picks in their Sept issue amoung other very good reviews. Clearly the CD33 player compared to the DV29 is a good jump, but it's a one trick pony and therefore can have Arcam focus totally on the one component...and they did, superior sonics. It takes a small breakin period but what a fine disc spinner it's turned out to be. The CD36 I've been told has a few new upgrades that give it a slight edge, but it ia at the same price the CD33 was before the discount to make way for the newer model...so it's back at $2400. I had the money so I wanted to complete the Arcam separates and keep the generic SQ in my room. Check em out, though a bit expensive they do have other models with better prices and with the solid Arcam quality and sound...check em out, go over to avf and read their feedback
post #474 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

My new studio 40s dont seem to go as low as I expected
I have my denon 3805 set to large speakers crossover to 80 sub set to LFR & Main
any thoughts ?
post #475 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc View Post

I'll also have to pick up Brothers in Arms cd. is it a DVD-A that you're referring to?

I bought the SACD and its superb!

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #476 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27 View Post

My new studio 40s dont seem to go as low as I expected
I have my denon 3805 set to large speakers crossover to 80 sub set to LFR & Main
any thoughts ?

If you set the speakers to LARGE, the 80Hz crossover will not affect them.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #477 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

So how will I get better lows out of them ?
post #478 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The only way to get more is to deal with the room by repositioning the speakers and treating the room. OTOH, if you set them to small and adjust the crossover (80Hz or lower), you will get the lows from the subwoofer.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #479 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

I've never heard of "Bothers in arms"

I did a quick search and found that its the name of the CD by Dire Straits. Is this the CD everyone is referring to?

Paradigm Millenia 300 Fronts, Millenia 30 Center, Millenia ADP Rears, Seismic 12 Subwoofer
Pioneer Elite 74TXVi Receiver
Pioneer Elite 79AVi DVD Player
LG 42" PB4D Plasma
post #480 of 30641 Old 10-12-2005, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post

I've never heard of "Bothers in arms"

Nor have I but I assume Google told you the correct spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post

I did a quick search and found that its the name of the CD by Dire Straits. Is this the CD everyone is referring to?

Yup, that's the DVD-A and SACD we referred to. I have this in vinyl, CD and XRCD but the MCH SACD is a revelation.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page