Speakers > Paradigm Owners Thread
doug zdanivsky's Avatar doug zdanivsky 01:33 PM 12-10-2005
Quote:

Mains: Studio 20s
Sides: Adp-470s
Rears: Studio 20s.

Center?

Trike's Avatar Trike 06:22 PM 12-10-2005
This a room setup question. I have a room that's about 10'x11'. I'm going to be setting up a HT in it. Currently I have a pair of v4 titans for the mains. Going to be driving all the speakers with a panasonic xr55. I would like to setup a 7.1 in this bedroom. What i'm having problems with is surround speaker selection. I originally was going to buy 4 atoms, a cc170 center, and a mirage s10 sub to complete the package. Now since this is such a small room and i'm trying to be as cheap as possible. The listening area is right up against the back wall (bed).
How overkill is this? I Noticed the ADP 170 and the whole direct vs. dipole. The room will probably be about 50% music and 50% movies. A little more emphasis on music. SACD's will be played and demo'ed in the room. Obviously I want good sound quality and I tend to overkill things. Question would be, is there a cheaper setup that I can do to complete the titans without it looking too ugly and out of place.

Thanks!
Jose_L's Avatar Jose_L 06:23 PM 12-10-2005
What's the retail price of the CC-570 ? US funds ?

Regards,
Jose
miltimj's Avatar miltimj 10:10 PM 12-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_L View Post

What's the retail price of the CC-570 ? US funds ?

Regards,
Jose

MSRP is $850 US
Jose_L's Avatar Jose_L 08:18 AM 12-12-2005
I wonder why Paradign doesn't list msrp on their site ?

How much would these 2 systems cost msrp ? I'm getting a big itch to upgrade my speakers.. It's been since 1988 that I have my current system.. Just like to know if I have to sell one of my cars ... lol

Sys. 1:
Studio 100's (main)
Studio 570 center
4 - Studio 40's (side & rear)

System 2:
S8 (main)
C5 center
4- S4(rear & side)

How much of a difference in sound quality would be between the two systems ? The only reason I'd look at the Sig. line is because of the "C5", it's looks awesome....

Thanks for the info.

Regads,
Jose
antman27's Avatar antman27 08:23 AM 12-12-2005
You can get an idea in the recomended systems
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...e/systems.html
devinjc's Avatar devinjc 02:08 PM 12-12-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug zdanivsky View Post

Center?

Don't have one. Narrow room, rarely more than 2 viewers. Shop full of new woodworking tools competing with speaker budget. I'll probably get one eventually, but no rush, as I'm always in a sweet spot.
doug zdanivsky's Avatar doug zdanivsky 02:14 PM 12-12-2005
I always thought you needed one, for dialogue especially..
antman27's Avatar antman27 02:25 PM 12-12-2005
If you sellect NO Center speaker in the set up the reciever will send the dialog info to the R&L
doug zdanivsky's Avatar doug zdanivsky 02:28 PM 12-12-2005
No, no.. I understand that..

I just was under the impression that it was better to have a dedicated center for dialogue.. That it sounded better coming from right in front of you rather than from the sides..
devinjc's Avatar devinjc 02:31 PM 12-12-2005
Correct and the 20s image well enough (to me) make the center unnecessary (to me). There's a lot of arguments for both sides of the center vs. phantom center scenario. Ideally I'll get another 20 to use as a center, but it might be awhile before my room is set up to allow that.

As it is, I never have dialog issues (see many posts about dialog being out of whack) and no one has ever said, "God the front stage isn't anchored to the screen at all." A room that is 9.5' wide helps, in that it's hard to get out of the sweet spot.

Dialogue still comes from right in front of me. If I heard it coming from the sides, I would get a center.
doug zdanivsky's Avatar doug zdanivsky 02:35 PM 12-12-2005
Quote:
Ideally I'll get another 20 to use as a center

Why not a CC-470?

But, as you say, if it ain't broke..
devinjc's Avatar devinjc 02:40 PM 12-12-2005
Another S20 would be an exact match to the current fronts, the 470 will capable would not be as seamless as the 20 would be. Since I have the S20s in the rear, I'll probably use one of those as a test one day to see if it really makes a difference in my room.

Of course, the wife would love to hear that I need to buy more speakers.
doug zdanivsky's Avatar doug zdanivsky 03:32 PM 12-12-2005
Not to split hairs, but if that's so, why do they bother making centers at all?

Why do they have they have them as part of the packages on their site?
devinjc's Avatar devinjc 05:10 PM 12-12-2005
Because a single matching speaker doesn't fit in most peoples set ups. Center speakers are a compromise because they fit under or above televisions much easier than upright speakers.

For example, in my current setup a cc470/570 would sit right at the base of the tv just fine, but a Studio 20 at the proper height would block part of the screen.
doug zdanivsky's Avatar doug zdanivsky 05:35 PM 12-12-2005
Hmm..

Interesting..
rynberg's Avatar rynberg 05:54 PM 12-12-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug zdanivsky View Post

Not to split hairs, but if that's so, why do they bother making centers at all?

Why do they have they have them as part of the packages on their site?

Center channels are necessary in many people's listening rooms to lock dialog and central effects to the screen. Not everyone can sit in the sweet spot and it is distracting to hear dialog from the near main channel instead of the screen/display.

If you always sit in the sweet spot and you don't have guests sitting off-center, you should try running no center-channel to see if you think it's better or not.
RAFABAMAD's Avatar RAFABAMAD 05:27 PM 12-13-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_L View Post

I wonder why Paradign doesn't list msrp on their site ?

How much would these 2 systems cost msrp ? I'm getting a big itch to upgrade my speakers.. It's been since 1988 that I have my current system.. Just like to know if I have to sell one of my cars ... lol

Sys. 1:
Studio 100's (main)
Studio 570 center
4 - Studio 40's (side & rear)

System 2:
S8 (main)
C5 center
4- S4(rear & side)

How much of a difference in sound quality would be between the two systems ? The only reason I'd look at the Sig. line is because of the "C5", it's looks awesome....

Thanks for the info.

Regads,
Jose

Jose,

Paradigm retail prices can be found here.
Only you can decide if the Sigs are worth the extra money over the Refs.

Robert
devinjc's Avatar devinjc 06:10 PM 12-15-2005
Well, I finally got the ADP470s dialed in, and the rear 20s positioned better and I gotta say the 20/adp470/20 set up is a pretty massive improvement over the 20/20/atom setup.

Last night I had the chance to watch the movie that really made me feel that directs were simply too aggressive for my room width and seating. In "A tale of two sisters" (excellent flick btw) in chapter 11, there is a door that closes abruptly that should come from over your left shoulder. With the 20s as sides, it noticeably came from the 20 (it is a very loud door slam) and didn't quite jive with the spatial cues of the film. With the ADPs the sound of the door was almost perfectly placed as if I were in the room with the characters. So good in fact, that it scared the crap out of me even though I was waiting for it. Of course, the fact that I have a doorway there without a door added to that. Nothing like watching a ghost story and having doors close in your house that aren't there.

So, now I'm in the Dipole camp that I never thought I would join. Big fan of directs, but in smaller rooms, or at least my narrow room, the ADPs are the ticket for true immersion.

Now to figure how best to restore the DVD-A experience. Without a dedicated room though, I think a solid hi-res music/movie system is just going to be a compromise, or one that's great at one, and only good at another.
efloen's Avatar efloen 07:21 PM 12-15-2005
devinjc , if your room and system are set up properly, sacd and dvd-audio will sound awesome with your adp's.
Mike Perkins's Avatar Mike Perkins 07:25 PM 12-15-2005
Hi Guys:
I've been using Paradigms for about 10 years now and love the sound, and great bang for the buck!
Home theater
Mains: Mini Mons, modded with solan caps and a resistor to bleed a small amount of mid into the tweeter to smooth out the xi-over.
Center: CC-370
Surrounds: ADP-370
Sub: PW-2200
Drive by a Denon 3805.
Music system:
Reference Active 20 on 20" DIY stands, sand filled

Here are some pics with screen shots:
Mike

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser=7459444
doug zdanivsky's Avatar doug zdanivsky 05:30 PM 12-16-2005
Ok, thanks for the follow up, Devin..

Now I'm that much more confident getting the ADP's
antman27's Avatar antman27 10:07 AM 12-17-2005
Is anyone using ADPs against the back wall with the sofa against that wall ?
nbourbaki's Avatar nbourbaki 09:47 PM 12-17-2005
Denon 4802
Yamaha YP-D6 (with Grado Gold)
Sony SCD-CE775
Toshiba SD-3900

Studio 60/v2 front
Studio CC/v2
Studio 20/v2 rear
PW-2200 sub

Very happy with the setup
deafgoose's Avatar deafgoose 12:59 AM 12-18-2005
People should start posting pics of their setups
mav52's Avatar mav52 10:14 AM 12-18-2005
Did some listening and will purchase next week but I am in a bit of a dilemma. I read this thread. Wow

Receiver: Yamaha RXV1600 120w 7.1 rec. ( should be ok)
Sony 60"SXRD
Sony DVpES3100

60% movies/TV/DVD, 40% music
Room Configuration: family room size, 16Lx14w,12H ( cathedral ceiling sloping up from 8'-12').
Floors carpet, walls treated @ 5' from floor. The room opens to one side into a large kitchen bar area. All furniture is leather.

Mains: Looking Monitor 7's until I heard the Studio 60's.
Center: CC470
Rear: The dealer suggest the ADP470's, but my 7' leather couch is against the wall and one side is open to a large kitchen bar area. Looks like a lot have this problem.
SubWoofer: PS1000

My problems is with the rear speakers, not sure how to position or even use this speaker.

Thanks for the help and/or comments
doug zdanivsky's Avatar doug zdanivsky 12:40 PM 12-18-2005
Hey Mav..

Looks like you're kind of in the same boat as me (see my room config. pics I posted earlier in this thread).

Unless you can scoot that couch away from the wall at least 2-3 feet, you may have to fogo 7.1 sound, as you won't be able to do rears.. You'll just have the 2 surrounds (ADP's or studio 20s depending on wether you prefer ambient or directional sound) at either side of your couch on the walls..
mav52's Avatar mav52 04:58 PM 12-18-2005
I know Doug and that is a total bummer. The wife has already mentioned, , do not attempt to move the sofa 3 ft from the wall. So I need to look for another alternative, hummm
swithey's Avatar swithey 05:21 PM 12-18-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav52 View Post

I know Doug and that is a total bummer. The wife has already mentioned, , do not attempt to move the sofa 3 ft from the wall. So I need to look for another alternative, hummm

Mav,

You could do what I did in my old house... When the time comes to REALLY watch the movie that demands the full 7.1 experience, temporally move the couch away that 3' that is needed. When the movie is over, slide it back to the normal position.

Your wife will think you are a total GEEK (like mine did) but should be okay with a quick move out and back arrangement.

Steve
mav52's Avatar mav52 09:30 PM 12-18-2005
Steve great idea should have thought of that. I am trying to get her or give her the idea that we need those great theater recliners. The black leather babies. Then the back wall would not be a problem. That ought to go over big. I could buy a lot of speaker for the price of those two chairs. Even move up to those
Sig 2's.
Tags: Paradigm , Speaker Systems
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop