Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 311 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #9301 of 30375 Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where can I get good speaker stands for my monitor Titan's? My local dealer quoted $75 each for the paradigm stand. Is that good deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9302 of 30375 Old 12-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
can I get some feedback on the performance of the DSP 3400 sub? i'm looking to add a sub to my system and got it narrowed down to this and the svs pb12 nsd for the same price. I like the looks of the paradigm, but the svs has a way bigger reputation.
post #9303 of 30375 Old 12-16-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
With the drivers that SVS has manufactured - the output and SQ will be superior.
post #9304 of 30375 Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

thx warp....will it matter what i'm surrounding the sub with, and would you know which will give me more placement options as I don't have many.
post #9305 of 30375 Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have pics of your room... what is the room size....?

What size sub were you looking at from SVS? It would be best to be able to have some flexibility of moving it around a bit to find the best location for good response in your room. That is what testing is for though.
post #9306 of 30375 Old 12-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

I don't actually have pics of the room but I'm only renting this place and looking to future proof myself with a bigger then needed sub. The room is a living room/kitchen combo kinda like a long rectangle. The main listening area (even though it's the same room) measures 17.8' x 11.3' x 8'. I'm looking at the pb12 nsb, or the dsp 3400 which I can get for the same price. By specs they are pretty much similar so it's kinda a tough choice. I'd have to order them both unheard also. I'm going to be matching them with a yamaha rxv863, energy cf50 towers, energy cc10 center, and energy cr10 surrounds. the system is going to be used 70% HT/Tv, 15% gaming, and 15% music. I like action movies with a lot of low end, as well as my music (rap, dance, hard rock etc...). Almost forgot the kitchen adds another 11' or so in lenght (make it about 29'), and same width.
post #9307 of 30375 Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am not at all familiar with the Paradigm Studio "Esprit" model. OK, apparently it is an "on-wall" model and not as deep as its counterpart. I am considering either (a) in-wall, (b) on-wall (this Esprit cc), or (c) the CC590...
Now, my wife feels that she wants a "cleaner" look to the floor and front for our developing dedicated home theater (FP/100" screen). It's probably a or b. So is anyone familiar with the performance of this "Esprit" series ? The items in the speaker pretty much match the larger CC590 speaker. I just wonder if I can get better sound from an on-wall, rather than in-wall ( comparing relatively apples-to-apples, in this Studio series). Anyone?
post #9308 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

I am not at all familiar with the Paradigm Studio "Esprit" model. OK, apparently it is an "on-wall" model and not as deep as its counterpart. I am considering either (a) in-wall, (b) on-wall (this Esprit cc), or (c) the CC590...
Now, my wife feels that she wants a "cleaner" look to the floor and front for our developing dedicated home theater (FP/100" screen). It's probably a or b. So is anyone familiar with the performance of this "Esprit" series ? The items in the speaker pretty much match the larger CC590 speaker. I just wonder if I can get better sound from an on-wall, rather than in-wall ( comparing relatively apples-to-apples, in this Studio series). Anyone?

They use the same speakers 1" tweeter, 4 1/2" mid, two 7" mid base.
Paradigm LCR 3

Paradigm Studio Esprit
post #9309 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Has Paradigm actually started designing those inwalls with a back box yet, I honestly can't see getting anywhere's near the performance from the inwall as you would with a sealed enclosure.... Only way I would use Inwalls would be for surround or backround music...
post #9310 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Has Paradigm actually started designing those inwalls with a back box yet, I honestly can't see getting anywhere's near the performance from the inwall as you would with a sealed enclosure.... Only way I would use Inwalls would be for surround or backround music...

In all the years I have been installing systems there has only been one speaker co that did in wall/ceilling speakers right and that was TRIAD that is my biased opinion and for myself give me floor standers and bookshelf.
post #9311 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lcr-3 and lcr-5 have a back box sold separately
http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference...7&&model_id=48
post #9312 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

lcr-3 and lcr-5 have a back box sold separately
http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference...7&&model_id=48

Which means to me that they were to designed for open baffle and adding a back box to a design like that is a poor coarse of action IMO...

Speakers are built from the onset to a box size for them to perform to the specs(T/S parameters) specific to each driver, or they will not perform properly - period...

That separate back box for those speakers is a band aid to reduce sound leakage at best, not to increase the performance. It will be a weak speaker at best used for better then average background music.
post #9313 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which means to me that they were to designed for open baffle and adding a back box to a design like that is a poor coarse of action IMO...

Speakers are built from the onset to a box size for them to perform to the specs(T/S parameters) specific to each driver, or they will not perform properly - period...

That separate back box for those speakers is a band aid to reduce sound leakage at best, not to increase the performance. It will be a weak speaker at best used for better then average background music.

I agree with Warpdrv 100%.
post #9314 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrv View Post

which means to me that they were to designed for open baffle and adding a back box to a design like that is a poor coarse of action imo...

qft
post #9315 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Installing these speakers into the Paradigm® BX-LCR 5 Backbox enclosure (sold separately) serves a number of purposes:

The backbox is required support for the speaker mounting frame
and baffle assembly;

In concert with the IMS/SHOCK-MOUNT system, the Ultra-Rigid high-strength design of the box removes any opportunity for unwanted resonances or standing waves to color sound;

The box ensures optimum volumeimproving overall sound quality, promoting deep and articulate bass response while also reducing distortion to inaudible levels;

Since this is a very high-performance design, the backbox helps reduce acoustic bleed-through to adjacent rooms.

the only real way to know is to test them against there on wall cousin
signature w5
post #9316 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 02:19 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym View Post

Here in Canada, paradigms are being discounted for the holiday season. A local dealer gave me a price quote $830 Cdn (about 675 US) for a pair of Studio 20v4 and $800 Cdn (about 650 US) for a Studio CC 590v4 . Are these good prices?

I don't know how that compares to other Canadian prices, but those are great prices for the US. I paid about $200 each more than that just a couple of months ago.
post #9317 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Installing these speakers into the Paradigm® BX-LCR 5 Backbox enclosure (sold separately) serves a number of purposes:

The backbox is required support for the speaker mounting frame
and baffle assembly;

In concert with the IMS/SHOCK-MOUNT™ system, the Ultra-Rigid™ high-strength design of the box removes any opportunity for unwanted resonances or standing waves to color sound;

The box ensures optimum volume—improving overall sound quality, promoting deep and articulate bass response while also reducing distortion to inaudible levels;

Since this is a very high-performance design, the backbox helps reduce acoustic bleed-through to adjacent rooms.

the only real way to know is to test them against there on wall cousin
signature w5

Another notable little tidbit that you didn't quote from the website is

Quote:
Backboxes are 3/8" MDF Construction

3/4" MDF heavily braced is the minumum one should consider to have in speaker construction, 13ply Baltic Birch is far better then even MDF...

Can you say serious cabinet resonance.... Puh... I wouldn't spend my money on that if It was the last speaker on earth... And they want to pass that off as Audiophile quality being a Signature series... busy !!!!

As much as I love my Sigs, and I will be buying S8's in the future you would be better served buying far more quality product.
post #9318 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another notable little tidbit that you didn't quote from the website is

3/4" MDF heavily braced is the minumum one should consider to have in speaker construction, 13ply Baltic Birch is far better then even MDF...

Can you say serious cabinet resonance.... Puh... I wouldn't spend my money on that if It was the last speaker on earth... And they want to pass that off as Audiophile quality being a Signature series... busy !!!!

As much as I love my Sigs, and I will be buying S8's in the future you would be better served buying far more quality product.

i agree, when i fist got into the home theater market in august 08. at that time i was dead set on buying inwalls. after visiting some dealers i was stuck on on walls (millenia series). as of monday 12 15 08 i went to a local paradigm dealer i was able listen to a side by side comparison of the millenia 300's and monitor 7. i have to say its a night and day difference in sound. now i will not settle fo anything less then a floorstanding loudspeaker(no matter what the wife wants).
post #9319 of 30375 Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:

I don't know how that compares to other Canadian prices, but those are great prices for the US. I paid about $200 each more than that just a couple of months ago.

Thanks for the info ianick. I am just waiting for another vendor quote before I purchase a CC 590 with a pair Studio 20's.
post #9320 of 30375 Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i agree, when i fist got into the home theater market in august 08. at that time i was dead set on buying inwalls. after visiting some dealers i was stuck on on walls (millenia series). as of monday 12 15 08 i went to a local paradigm dealer i was able listen to a side by side comparison of the millenia 300's and monitor 7. i have to say its a night and day difference in sound. now i will not settle fo anything less then a floorstanding loudspeaker(no matter what the wife wants).

Good for you, nice to see someone actually put their foot down and not settle for compromise over WAF. That is one of the nice things for me about Paradigm Sigs.... they are very nice looking, and sound spectacular - It can be done....

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Painted002.jpg
post #9321 of 30375 Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now, my wife feels that she wants a "cleaner" look to the floor and front for our developing dedicated home theater (FP/100" screen). It's probably a or b. So is anyone familiar with the performance of this "Esprit" series ?

I am repeating my original question, wishing to hear if anyone has direct knowledge about this "Esprit" series performance. As it is "on-wall," with a less-depth profile, it may suffice in terms of not being to conspicuous, off the floor, but I still wondr about the sound quality. As it DOES have a "box" in the speaker that it is, I would hazard to guess that it "beats" its cousin (similar components) that is an in-wall." Comments?
post #9322 of 30375 Old 12-18-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am repeating my original question, wishing to hear if anyone has direct knowledge about this "Esprit" series performance. As it is "on-wall," with a less-depth profile, it may suffice in terms of not being to conspicuous, off the floor, but I still wondr about the sound quality. As it DOES have a "box" in the speaker that it is, I would hazard to guess that it "beats" its cousin (similar components) that is an in-wall." Comments?

IMO Paradigm does not make a bad sounding speaker. i have a HT room 15w X 22l x 11h 131" diagonal screen the Studio Esprit LRC + a SUB would still get the wow factor.
http://www.proavmagazine.com/industr...ticleID=615501
http://www.e-gear.com/article/119000.../119354_1.html
post #9323 of 30375 Old 12-18-2008, 12:45 PM

I have converted a relatively small bedroom into a reading/music room and I have 2 Mini Monitors I can use for a 2-Ch setup. The room is about 8x9 ft and regular 8 ft high. I don't have the space to put the Minis on stands, I will be placing them on the bookcase.

I have two concerns :
1. Mini's are too large for the space (an overkill for the size of the room)
2. Since they are rear-ported, and since I have to place them close to the wall, I won't be getting good sound.

would selling the Mini's to replace them with smaller speakers be a better choice? maybe a pair of powered speakers to also eliminate the need to add an amp?
post #9324 of 30375 Old 12-18-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

On walls/in walls are a compromise and they violate almost every known "rule" for loudspeaker positioning.

I agree with Warp. Stand up to the man, I mean woman.
post #9325 of 30375 Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 PM

Hey All, I was just wondering what crossover set points people are running there 100s at? Thanks Ace27
post #9326 of 30375 Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMO Paradigm does not make a bad sounding speaker. i have a HT room 15w X 22l x 11h 131" diagonal screen the Studio Esprit LRC + a SUB would still get the wow factor.
http://www.proavmagazine.com/industr...ticleID=615501
http://www.e-gear.com/article/119000.../119354_1.html

OSOFAST: This was very, very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share this info. The Esprit apparently IS a compromise from its cousin...say...cc590, but that is to be expected, but it looks from the info/reviews that it is definitely worth considering.
post #9327 of 30375 Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace27 View Post

Hey All, I was just wondering what crossover set points people are running there 100s at? Thanks Ace27

70hz for mine.
post #9328 of 30375 Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:

70hz for mine.

Sounds kinda high to me... The 100's should be able to run flat a bit lower than that, as they're spec'd +-2db to 44hz. I'd try 50 or 60hz, and then let the sub do the rest. Of course, the room and placement will have some say in the matter.
I'm running 40's up front, and they're crossed over at 70.... I'd say, play around with em, and see what works best, ace27.

Peter M

******This space for rent******
post #9329 of 30375 Old 12-19-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post

Sounds kinda high to me... The 100's should be able to run flat a bit lower than that, as they're spec'd +-2db to 44hz. I'd try 50 or 60hz, and then let the sub do the rest. Of course, the room and placement will have some say in the matter.
I'm running 40's up front, and they're crossed over at 70.... I'd say, play around with em, and see what works best, ace27.

I did play with them you do realize when you set it this is not a brick wall
it begins to roll off at that point and is normally inaudible by 40 0r 50hz depending on the slope of the roll-off and my sub can play notes more efficently from 70hz down than my 100's with more authority. I tried 60hz
and noticed no change so to make life easier on my eq set it back to 70hz.
post #9330 of 30375 Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I wouldn't go below 70Hz if you have any kind of decent sub with the 100s.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page