post #9811 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMBERT R CONE View Post

This is the system i am thinking of going with.

Paradigm
studio 100 fronts
cc690 center
adp590 surround
studio 20 rear
siesmic 12 or sub 15

anthem
avm 30
mca 50
mca 20

samsung

not to sure on dvd player or blueray? I am replacing my old pioneer elite system , 15 years old , it has been a while . Listened to pardigm love em !samsung is great ! Anthem not up to speed with there product, any in put would help me . THANKS IN ADVANCE

sub 15 or svs 13 ultra

Regency Park Family Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 AM

Wondering if I got a good deal - just picked up some Monitor 7s v4 for $600/pair.
post #9813 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 08:00 AM

Liked: 12
So yesterday the wife and I drove for 8 hours auditioning as many speakers as we possibly could. We were very interested in the Studio series since v5 will ship in a month or so. However, when we got to the dealer, the Studio 20's (only one available to listen to) v4 version were set up in a hallway next to 3 other speakers, surrounded by boxes and a host of other stuff... Long story short, after auditioning B&W 600 & CM's, PSB, Dynaudio, etc we are not impressed at all, and it's a real shame too, we probably would have bought some v5's if some time was taken to setup one of the the 2 rooms they had. I am not even sure what they had it hooked up too, but compared to the other speakers we had heard earlier, the Studio 20's just did not make any sort of lasting impression. I would like to give these speakers a second chance at another dealer, but my wife kind of made up her mind with B&W CM series. We have been talking about speakers for months now, so she is over it, wants to pick something and buy. We made the decision to go with the CM series, but in your opinions would the v4's and v5's be that much better than the CM series? Cause that is what it would take for us to change our minds. Also, price comes into play, the v5's will not be discounted or so I have been told, not even a 10% package discount, nada according to a couple of dealers I called. The B&W dealers hinted they will work with us when we are ready.
post #9814 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

sub 15 or svs 13 ultra

Just curious. Do you have or "have you" heard the svs 13 ultra? I am wondering how good it is for music. I am skeptical of ported designs being as fast and accurate for music (in general of course).
post #9815 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBas View Post

So yesterday the wife and I drove for 8 hours auditioning as many speakers as we possibly could. We were very interested in the Studio series since v5 will ship in a month or so. However, when we got to the dealer, the Studio 20's (only one available to listen to) v4 version were set up in a hallway next to 3 other speakers, surrounded by boxes and a host of other stuff... Long story short, after auditioning B&W 600 & CM's, PSB, Dynaudio, etc we are not impressed at all, and it's a real shame too, we probably would have bought some v5's if some time was taken to setup one of the the 2 rooms they had. I am not even sure what they had it hooked up too, but compared to the other speakers we had heard earlier, the Studio 20's just did not make any sort of lasting impression. I would like to give these speakers a second chance at another dealer, but my wife kind of made up her mind with B&W CM series. We have been talking about speakers for months now, so she is over it, wants to pick something and buy. We made the decision to go with the CM series, but in your opinions would the v4's and v5's be that much better than the CM series? Cause that is what it would take for us to change our minds. Also, price comes into play, the v5's will not be discounted or so I have been told, not even a 10% package discount, nada according to a couple of dealers I called. The B&W dealers hinted they will work with us when we are ready.

Rob you can come down here to Sarasota and our dealer here will give you 20% off you are buying system. V5's and all! I would just call him and ask him in advance to be sure.
post #9816 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowered View Post

Rob you can come down here to Sarasota and our dealer here will give you 20% off you are buying system. V5's and all! I would just call him and ask him in advance to be sure.

I was just in the St Pete\\Tampa area yesterday Send me the information and I will contact them.
post #9817 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBas View Post

I was just in the St Pete\\Tampa area yesterday Send me the information and I will contact them.

Audio Workshop in Bradenton, Fl. Look it up on the internet but number is 941-747-7977. Today he is closed so he is only available by cell phone. I can call him if you'd like. Otherwise tomorrow is good. One thing though: he is small so he is not going to have allot of demo stuff. I think he has a pair of studio 100 v4's right now. You are welcome to come to Sarasota and hear my setup as well. I have 60 v4's bi-amped to an Integra 9.9. They sound amazing! I work in Lakeland by the way ... not very far from you.
post #9818 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Just curious. Do you have or "have you" heard the svs 13 ultra? I am wondering how good it is for music. I am skeptical of ported designs being as fast and accurate for music (in general of course).

There are good and bad of both designs IMHO the 13 does quite
well with music but remember there are excellent floorstanders
and bookshelf speakers that are highly rated and they are ported.
post #9819 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttodd1 View Post

Wondering if I got a good deal - just picked up some Monitor 7s v4 for $600/pair.

Sound like 15% off (or close). Sounds good to me. The Monitor line does not have as much of a markup ... very fair for the $!
post #9820 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

There are good and bad of both designs IMHO the 13 does quite
well with music but remember there are excellent floorstanders
and bookshelf speakers that are highly rated and they are ported.

Good point! My studio 60's are obviously ported and bass is tight, fast, and natural. But I am referring to subwoofers where the size of the woofer is larger and heavier. Not sure what happens in terms of physics there but to my ear many ported subs seems to have more boom and overhang. On the up side they do have great output, hence why they are great for primary HT setups.

I am going to sell my ultracube 12 simply because I have enough room for a bigger sub and i want sometjing that fills the room more. Budget is around $1,500 - $600 I get for my uc (hopefully) so I am looking at the svs 13 ultra, HSU 15, Epic Tower and new Paradigm sub 12. I just really don't want to get away from Paradigm as this reference is specifically designed to blend with the studio line. What are your thoughts?
post #9821 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got Studio 40s for fronts and a cc570 for center, but still have atoms for surrounds/backs. Do you think I would notice a big difference going to studio 20's for surrounds/backs?

My Theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9822 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 09:35 AM

Hey i read in this thread about the v4 tweeter upgrade on the studio v3 ,where do you get the parts to do that ? at the dealer ? howh much a v4 tweeter cost ?
post #9823 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:

Good point! My studio 60's are obviously ported and bass is tight, fast, and natural. But I am referring to subwoofers where the size of the woofer is larger and heavier. Not sure what happens in terms of physics there but to my ear many ported subs seems to have more boom and overhang. On the up side they do have great output, hence why they are great for primary HT setups.

I am going to sell my ultracube 12 simply because I have enough room for a bigger sub and i want sometjing that fills the room more. Budget is around $1,500 - $600 I get for my uc (hopefully) so I am looking at the svs 13 ultra, HSU 15, Epic Tower and new Paradigm sub 12. I just really don't want to get away from Paradigm as this reference is specifically designed to blend with the studio line. What are your thoughts?

I have not heard the new subs so I can't pass judgement but the pb13 ultra
IMHO was just as musical as the servo-15 with more authority.
post #9824 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 AM

Hello all!

I have been studying about putting a plasma display home theater system together for the past few weeks. I'm considering a Paradigm monitor or studio system with one of the matching large center channels.

I have about come to the conclusion I am going to have to custom make a av stand for the display and to house the components and center channel due to not being able to find one commercially made that will house a center as large as a cc-390 (appx 9.5" x 40"). Does having the center channel in a cabinet effect it's performance? Are there other choices? What do you recommend for a clean look?

Silvermesa
post #9825 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 PM
r3w

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermesa View Post

I have about come to the conclusion I am going to have to custom make a av stand for the display and to house the components and center channel due to not being able to find one commercially made that will house a center as large as a cc-390 (appx 9.5" x 40"). Does having the center channel in a cabinet effect it's performance? Are there other choices? What do you recommend for a clean look?

Check out Salamander Designs.
post #9826 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertzz View Post

Hey i read in this thread about the v4 tweeter upgrade on the studio v3 ,where do you get the parts to do that ? at the dealer ? howh much a v4 tweeter cost ?

I wouldn't suggest that... You would also need to change over the crossover, its just not that simple... You should just leave the speakers the way they are, I auditioned the .v3 directly with the .v4, and the differrence is very slight..... Your not missing anything with the .v3's... Just continue to enjoy them, they are fine.

post #9827 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i have only listen to paradigm. but in my experience with car audio nothing is as accurate as a sealed sub.

post #9828 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 01:23 PM

I ran the same setup for a couple of years. I just upgraded the Atoms for ADP 590's and I am delighted with the results.
The Atoms were great but the extra output of the studio ADP's really filled out my soundstage.
I would have run 20's but I had no room.
No regrets for me despite the extra expense
Regards
Knights of Ni
(Ps this reply was for ShawnWalters, but I forgot to quote)
post #9829 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 03:15 PM

I posted earlier on here about not being satisfied with my ultracube 12 sub since it didn't seem to be enough for my large room. I was wrong. Today I moved it to off to the right close to a wall and corner but not actually up against either. I adjusted the low pass down to around 50hz abd set the gain at 12'o clock. Man, what a difference. Deep, tight, powerful bass that is quick and accurate. It was just a matter of placement! I had it in this spot before and didn't impress me. I think that may have been because I had the low pass set too high to blend with the 60v4's and it wasn't broken enough then. This sub is impresssive to fill a large room w/ vaulted ceilings. Sure it would be nice to have another but I think I spend the $ on my surrends, CC, or perhaps blue ray. I am such a 2-channel junky I have been stuck tryin' to get the front end of rig right for 2 months!
post #9830 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM

Did any of you see that the new Studio 60v5 has 5.5" drivers opposed to the 7" now? Although it is rated with the same low freq capability due to the extra bass driver. But man this might sound like a completely different speaker - especially in the mid and upper mids. Will be interesting to hear a pair.
post #9831 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The SVS 13 Ultra can be configured as completely sealed, completely ported, or anything in the middle.

It's one of the best subs out there for music and movies.

TiVo is on it's way out -
!
post #9832 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 PM

I hate to ask this without really looking to see if it's been covered..but this thread is massive. Anyone know if there is any difference between the Mini Monitor V5 AND V6?

I just bought the V5's and think they sound great...the guy said there was zero difference. I got them about a hundred off. Any info would be great. Thanks.
post #9833 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

The SVS 13 Ultra can be configured as completely sealed, completely ported, or anything in the middle.

It's one of the best subs out there for music and movies.

I assume you mean by using port plugs, etc??? Or am I way off base and you are referring to SVS doing something upon requests?
post #9834 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I assume you mean by using port plugs, etc??? Or am I way off base and you are referring to SVS doing something upon requests?

port plugs. special request anything can be done for the right amount of $

post #9835 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

port plugs. special request anything can be done for the right amount of $

This is a subjective question ... but how well do you think the svs ultra-13 will blend with a pair of studio 60v4's? Speaking in terms of music ... do you believe I could get to blend just as well as a Paradigm reference sub?
post #9836 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Hi:

I have a pair of in-wall SA-30 speakers in bedroom. I will be hooking them up to Denon 4306, Pioneer 5080 and Oppo 971. I will be watching HD TV and listen to music.

Do I need a subwoofer?
If the answer is yes then which subwoofer will match with these speakers?

Thanks

post #9837 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

This is a subjective question ... but how well do you think the svs ultra-13 will blend with a pair of studio 60v4's? Speaking in terms of music ... do you believe I could get to blend just as well as a Paradigm reference sub?

I am hooking up an pb13 with 60's v.3 in the next couple days... Guess I am behind the times on the v.3 but should blend well I hope.
post #9838 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 09:00 PM

Geez, I feel kinda silly posting this with all the high-enders here...

But I just replaced my 20-something year old Atoms (so old they didn't even have a V number!!!) with new V6 Atoms ($299/pair Canadian). I can hear the difference from in here in the office.

There's been just a LITTLE progress in the last couple decades!!!!

Steve
post #9839 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

i am considering selling the v5 mini-monitors i have now and replacing with some monitor 7's. i use these strictly for a dedicated HT room only. would i be getting more with the 7s or should i leave well enough alone?

i currently run mini-monitors, cc-290, adp 190, & hsu stf-2 off onkyo 605.
post #9840 of 30704 Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmgr View Post

i am considering selling the v5 mini-monitors i have now and replacing with some monitor 7's. i use these strictly for a dedicated HT room only. would i be getting more with the 7s or should i leave well enough alone?

i currently run mini-monitors, cc-290, adp 190, & hsu stf-2 off onkyo 605.

IMO the 7's are a big step up in sound lots more detail.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page